Latest News Article

[1.7.2] CraftGuide v1.6.8.1

• Please log in to reply
1353 replies to this topic

Uristqwerty
  • Minecraft: Uristqwerty

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:15 AM

POPULAR

CraftGuide: Quick access to a list of every crafting recipe in the game!

Quick links:
It was created as a result of how useful Risugami's RecipeBook is, but how quickly it became a hassle to navigate once you have a hundred pages at the time. RecipeBook has improved greatly since then, though. (In my opinion, the single greatest change was the addition of the scroll wheel as a way to navigate quickly)

Posted Image

To create your own, just place a crafting table in the centre of a crafting grid, put a piece of paper in each corner, and fill in the edges with four books. There is also a keybind to open it without needing an item (defaults to G), which works even if you are playing on a server that doesn't have it installed.

Other useful features include small recipes as well as shapeless recipes having a visually distinct bsckground. Additionally, you can click on an item in a recipe to filter the displayed recipes so that only ones that require or produce that item will be shown (In this case, books). Use the clear button to go back to seeing them all.

Posted Image

One of the more recent features is a searchable list of items, to quickly filter out unrelated recipes.

Just right click while holding it, to see every crafting recipe in the game.

To navigate the list, you have a few options:
-The scroll bar: Just click on the slider, and drag it up or down to quickly scroll through the list.
-The up/down buttons: Quickly navigate one or ten pages at a time with the buttons above and below the scroll bar.
-Keyboard shortcuts: Arrow keys, page up, page down, home, and end can all be used if you prefer a keyboard over a mouse. Up/Down arrow keys scroll one line at a time, Left/Right and Page up/Page down go by pages, and Home/End can be used to immediately jump to the start or end of the list.
-Mouse wheel: If you have one, just spin it to immediately scroll the list! Number of lines scrolled can be configured to suit your preferences.
-Shift: Holding shift while scrolling will multiply the movement by ten!

At the end of the list, you will also find furnace recipes! Only ones that work in a regular furnace, though, and not any special furnace types added by a mod that specifically have their own separate set of recipes, unfortunately.

Some items show a * over the top right corner. That means that it will accept any variation of that item (for example, wool colour or tool damage). Others, with a small F in the top left, represent things in the Forge ore dictionary, which allows mods to use items like copper and tin in their crafting recipes, and have the recipes accept similar resources from *other* mods. A more technical description is that items that show the * accept anything with a specific item ID, even if the data values are different, while ones that show an F accept any specific items that different mods have declared interchangable (each of which may or may not accept any data value).

Posted Image

At the bottom left corner, there is a small triangle. Clicking and dragging it will allow you to resize the entire GUI. This is especially useful if you have a lot of space around the edges, allowing you to see often four or more columns of recipes at once.

Future plans:
Right now, I'm working on a fairly significant rewrite, to make it easier to set the appearance of things (anyone wanting to re-skin CraftGuide will be extremely happy), and more distant plans include adding an in-game settings menu so that anything in CraftGuide.cfg can be easily changed, without needing a text editor, or having to restart Minecraft to see the effects. Also, at some point I should really add a way to create a custom list of recipes, such as things that you often use, as a quick reference.

Installation:
  • If you don't have it yet, install either Minecraft Forge, or LiteLoader. I haven't tested it with every version, but it probably works for most of the recent ones. As of 1.6.1, CraftGuide only requires FML, which is included in Forge and also available as a standalone download.
  • Download a CraftGuide version for whichever loader you chose.
  • Place the downloaded .zip or .litemod file into .minecraft/mods/

Current version: 1.6.8.1
Minecraft 1.7.2:

Other downloads
Spoiler:

Mod packs and distribution:
You may include CraftGuide in mod packs, or distribute it on its own, without any special procedure or permission. However, if you modify the copy you are distributing, you must clearly indicate that it has been modified (since I'd rather not have a bunch of people asking for help with errors that don't exist in any of the official versions).

If you *do* include CraftGuide in a mod pack, I would love to hear about it, so it would be awesome if you could send me a PM about it (but it isn't required, if you don't want to).

Videos (and other things):
You may use/show/include CraftGuide (both the actual mod as seen in-game, as well as any files included in any of the downloads) in videos, blog posts, forum threads, tweets, lolcat images, audio recordings, internationally televised political discussions, or any other possible form of communication you can think of that isn't simply sharing complete copies of a download (for that, see the Mod packs and distribution section, above), for commercial or non-commercial purposes (and anything in between, if there is such a thing).

Basically: Yes.

Things for Minecraft 1.2.5 and older
Spoiler:

Changelog:
Spoiler:

Videos:
Here is a fairly recent showcase by UnspeakableGaming:

drackiseries has a video of the new (Minecraft 1.5.2) version.

Older videos:
Spoiler:

Upcoming changes:
-planned
  • Advanced filtering
  • Saving favourites for quick viewing
  • Perhaps a close button?
-still in progress
  • Major rewrite of internal stuff.

Source:
If you want to make a custom version of CraftGuide, use bits of its code, or just see how it works, you can find the source code on Github.
If you want to use some (or all) of it in your own project, you are free to do so, though it would be nice if you mentioned CraftGuide in a text file or somewhere else where someone can find it.

API:
You can find the current source of the CraftGuide API on Github. It can be used to add, remove, or alter the recipes displayed by CraftGuide (not actually affecting crafting, just what is shown in the CraftGuide GUI).

A JAR containing just the API (source and non-obfuscated binaries) is also available: CraftGuide_API.jar

If you need help using it, or have ideas on how to improve the API, please send me a PM or some other form of communication.

Direct links:
If you don't want to use an AdF.ly link, you can get some versions directly (bit.ly'd for statistics only):

No loader:

LiteLoader:

FML/Forge:

Modloader:

Posted Image
CraftGuide, recipe viewer with a scrollbar! (Resizable window, too, if you prefer playing with a smaller GUI scale and are tired of GUIs only occupying a tiny square in the centre)

Register or log in to remove.

MgoSolidx
  • Minecraft: MgoSolidx

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:18 AM

I'll be sure to review it. :D

Channel is MgoSolidxRevived.

EDIT:
Download Link is not working for me. ):

Another EDIT:
Nvm. lol.

Posted Image

platypuspancakes

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:18 AM

Yay, a way to scroll through the recipe book!  Although, it is a bit expensive to make... Maybe a book with 4 ink sacs in the corners?

Do you know what happened when the unstoppable force met an immovable object?  The immovable object and the unstoppable force exploded in an unimaginable amount of energy and caused the Big Bang to occur.  Now get a job, philosophers, and leave it to the scientists.

Operative2259

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:12 AM

Any possibility of having the ability to extract the recipes into a txt file?  THere used to be a recipes list but it was not updated.

Operative2259

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:12 AM

Any possibility of having the ability to extract the recipes into a txt file?  THere used to be a recipes list but it was not updated.

MineHippie
  • Minecraft: MineHippie

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:19 AM

oh I love it. The answer to my forge woes.

Is there any way to set up a different book or a gui list or something for each mod? That might be asking too much I know. But doesn't hurt to ask.
If you think something's impossible.
You haven't tried hard enough.

Pokemaster73
  • Minecraft: Pokemaster73

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:27 AM

Risugami has already made a mod like this.
Posted Image

MineHippie
  • Minecraft: MineHippie

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:34 AM

View PostPokemaster73, on 22 October 2011 - 03:27 AM, said:

Risugami has already made a mod like this.

He mentioned that. Yes, this does basically the same thing. But with a different interface to make it easier to get through a huge list of stuff. If, for instance, you use redpower 2 that's like 500+ pages of risugami's book.
If you think something's impossible.
You haven't tried hard enough.

Epiclyralphy

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:43 AM

Nice, i'll definately use this over Risugami's. This may be a heap harder, but any chance of making a furnace one? (I know this seems useless, but if you use Redpower, there is an alloy furnace. This uses more then one item to make alloys like Red alloy.)

DoomZero
    DoomZero

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:18 AM

You say somebody is improving on Risugami's idea and fixing a terrible flaw we've all had to deal with before?

They're even planning to update regularly?

What? Are you trying to tell me that this isn't even close to being finished, and many more features are soon to come?

How can it even get any better than that? I think it goes without saying that the idea is completely sold for me.

Uristqwerty
  • Minecraft: Uristqwerty

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:23 AM

View PostOperative2259, on 22 October 2011 - 03:12 AM, said:

It's certainly possible, but it would be outside the scope of this specific mod. Fairly simple thing to do, really.

View PostEpiclyralphy, on 22 October 2011 - 03:43 AM, said:

Nice, i'll definately use this over Risugami's. This may be a heap harder, but any chance of making a furnace one? (I know this seems useless, but if you use Redpower, there is an alloy furnace. This uses more then one item to make alloys like Red alloy.)

Getting recipes for the furnace looks like it should be easy. Change the mess of code I have to support the furnace too isn't. I do intend to add furnace recipes fairly soon, though. Probably going to take at least a day or two, though.

As for the alloy furnace, it almost certainly has it's own recipe system. I don't know how hard it would be to support it, but a long-term goal could be to provide an API so that other mods can define their own recipe categories... Hmm...
CraftGuide, recipe viewer with a scrollbar! (Resizable window, too, if you prefer playing with a smaller GUI scale and are tired of GUIs only occupying a tiny square in the centre)

Blueblade11
    Blueblade11

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1001 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:24 AM

Nice!
Playing since Beta 1.3_01. Yeah. I like BTW. Or used to. Still do. ­Stuff Technic. (Back in the day...)
*Plays Minecraft on a craptop* *Optifine user since Optimine* *Using mods since Beta 1.5_01*

god_blever

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:50 PM

i cant make mods work on my cpu so this is uslises

Kyyshrrk
  • Minecraft: Kyyshrrk

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:03 PM

View Postgod_blever, on 22 October 2011 - 08:50 PM, said:

i cant make mods work on my cpu so this is uslises

Kudos for your unique ability to spontaneously generate dozens of questions in one sentence.

I'll start my personal list
*Why are you reading the mods forum if you can't use mods?
*How is this mod significant enough to warrant pointing out that it is "uslises" when no mod is "usful" to you
*How did you manage to setup an account?

And thank the modder for saving much of my time. EE+RP2 gives me a 750 page risu-book.
Posted Image

thrandisher

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:07 PM

Very nice! Something i always wanted. While i liked risu's one, this helps alot more for when you have alot of things. A++

rymmie1981

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:16 AM

This is amazing. I love it so much. I have destroyed all copies of my recipe books and replaced them with crafting guides.

I don't know if it's possible to separate the recipes by mod, but it would be awesome if you could. This is still the best recipe mod ever. I might even get Infitools now.

JonReed
    JonReed

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1239 posts
  • Minecraft: JonReed

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:02 AM

You are a godsend for many users of forge mods. No longer must I right click 300 times just to get through all of the sub-blocks in RedPower.
There is a rare mythical button called "Search" that likes to answer questions; however, due to its nature, it often blends in with its surroundings so as to remain hidden.
Posted Image

bonesy1134
  • Minecraft: traumatism

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:09 AM

View Postrymmie1981, on 23 October 2011 - 12:16 AM, said:

I don't know if it's possible to separate the recipes by mod, but it would be awesome if you could. This is still the best recipe mod ever. I might even get Infitools now.

Agreed. be awesome if seperation of mod was possible. or like another mod i saw where you could select a specific item and it would show what crafts were available for that item
Enlightened's Links
REMEMBER: Search is your friend. check versions. check for updates. READ THE OP. If you dont, you give me permission to hit you with a fish!!

MassiveMinecrafting

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:44 AM

I love the mod:) Post this in topic please?

My Youtube, Amazing Survival Series and NoteBlock Series
http://www.youtube.c.../BannanaCreeper

Oswarlan
    Oswarlan

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2487 posts
  • Minecraft: oswarlan

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:49 AM

incredible, once this gets the features in the upcoming section, it will be enough for me to completely stop using risagumis :D
one thing tho. and this problem is something that bothered me with his, is no SMP support. any plans to make it so that we can use this on SMP?