Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Silver

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Fang Xerxes

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:43 PM

A new metal ore

I propose silver be added to the game as a metal, and implemented in the following way:

Silver ore would be found in similar locations to gold and would be slightly more common. It would be smelted into ingots just like any other metal ore:

Posted Image

It then would have a number of uses:

Silver Tools and Armour

Silver Tools and Armour would be constructed in the same way as other types of tools and armour, substituting silver ingots into the recipes when appropriate:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Silver tools would have the durability and strength of wooden tools and Silver armour the durability and strength of leather armour. But they would have their own special abilities making them worth using.

I am as yet undecided about what special abilities silver tools would have, and am willing to take suggestions.

In real life, silver is a sterile material that does not easily foster microbe culture. That is why it is used to make surgical instruments. In a (rather tenuous) reflection of this, I suggest that wearing a piece of silver armour in game will combat venom from entities (cave spiders, or other players who have weapons with poisoning enchantments, should these come along) reducing it to only a chance of poisoning the player. This will not protect the player from poison brought by consumption of food, and it is not advisable to wear too much silver armour if it is replacing better armour unless you anticipate fighting a large number of cave spiders, etc because the hit on general protection will quickly outweigh the benefit of venom resistance. I have considered (but am not yet sure) that full silver armour should make the player completely immune to venom.

Silver Arrows

Silver arrows would be crafted with two silver ingots on top of a feather producing one silver arrow. They would therefore be costly and difficult to acquire.

Posted Image

Silver arrows can be fired from the player's bow only if he has no more normal arrows left in his inventory (the implication of some sort of quiver mechanic would render this rule obsolete)

The uses:

• Getting shot with a silver arrow makes Zombies, Skeletons and Endermen set on fire as if they are in sunlight. (I am aware as of 1.9 Endermen no longer burn in sunlight. Silver arrows still burn them.)

• Zombies, Skeletons and Endermen within 5 blocks’ distance of a silver-arrow-stricken mob will also set on fire, but can extinguish it by removing themselves from the vicinity of the mob. Endermen will teleport and run away. Skeletons will shoot the afflicted mob until it dies, but keep any damage they took from the fire. Zombies will take no action and can only extinguish themselves by wandering out of the dying mob's vicinity by chance.

• A silver arrow stuck in a block will have the same effect as a silver-arrow-stricken mob on other mobs, but only if the mob is within two blocks of the block the arrow is stuck in. In this case, skeletons will ignore the arrow and continue to wander until they either die or leave the two-block radius. Endermen will still teleport away.
•Because a skeleton hit with a silver arrow is marked for death, silver arrows do not count towards the “Sniper duel” achievement, even when it eventually works.

• Silver arrows work the same as normal arrows on Creepers, Ghasts, Spiders, Silverfish, Cave Spiders, Blazes, Magma cubes, Wolves, Zombie Pigmen, passive mobs and Slimes. The skeleton parts of spider jockeys will be burnt the same as normal skeletons, but the spider parts will be unharmed.

Mirrors

And now my proposed main use of silver in game: Mirror blocks.

Mirror blocks would be crafted with 3 silver ingots and 3 glass panes producing 3 mirror blocks like this:

Posted Image

Mirror blocks can be placed like signs on other blocks, or can be placed like glass panes if they are placed on top of a block into a space where they are flanked by two other blocks. Mirror blocks do not have a ‘cross’ or ‘halfway’ form like glass panes and so cannot be placed into a space with 0, 1 or 4 surrounding blocks. If placed in a space with 3 surrounding blocks, the mirror will stretch itself between the two blocks which are opposite each other, ignoring the one opposite a block of air.

Most blocks count as ‘supporting’ blocks, including solid blocks and other mirrors (provided they are angled the same way), but not air, fluids, fence posts, doors, paintings, trapdoors, fence gates, ladders, signs, pressure plates, buttons, levers, torches, redstone torches, minecart tracks or redstone. Sand, gravel and TNT can support mirrors, but if they become their mobile forms, the mirror will break off and become an item.

Posted Image
How freestanding mirrors can be placed. Blue indicates a legal position, red an illegal one.

Once a freestanding mirror is correctly placed, more blocks can be placed around it and it will retain the arrangement it had on creation, but attempting to remove the original supporting blocks will break off the mirror and turn it into an item.

Mirrors reflect what is in front of them up to the render distance the player can see (according to their settings). Mirrors are exactly 1x1 wide, which means multiple mirrors tiled onto blocks or arranged into large shapes will be flush with each other.

Mirror blocks can be placed in the Nether, but not in the End. Attempts to place mirrors in the End will blow them up, like beds in the Nether.

Mirrors show up white in other mirrors in light levels higher than 7, and black in light levels of 7 or less. It is therefore not possible to create recurring reflection ‘tunnels’.

Effect on Mobs

• If an Enderman looks directly at its reflection in a mirror, it will freeze, but not shake. This will render it immobile until it is killed, the mirror it is looking at is removed, or its view to that mirror is blocked by a mob, the player, an entity or a block.

• Passive mobs rank their own reflection below grass and above torches on their list of attractions. They are not affected by other passive mobs reflections, even mobs of the same type. Zombie Pigmen and passive ‘sunny’ spiders will also be attracted to their own reflections.

• Ghasts do not cast reflections.

• Zombies are confused by mirrors, and will attempt to avoid their own reflections by four blocks if possible. If the player surrounds himself with mirrors, a Zombie will not draw as close as possible to him, as with dwellings of other blocks, but instead circumnavigate the mirror square, moving to the right like Creepers.

• Creepers and Skeletons are not bothered by mirrors when pursuing the player, but will treat them like glass panes otherwise. When not looking directly at their own reflections, Endermen also treat mirrors this way.

• Spiders can climb up mirrors, but only when in darkness and hostile.

I am open to suggestions as to what other uses could be made of silver, silver tools and armour, mirrors and silver arrows.

Register or log in to remove.

Oxydate
    Oxydate

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1089 posts
  • Minecraft: Oxydate

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:45 PM

I particularly like the mirror idea, FYI there are some mods out there that add manny ores to the game.

Garninc580

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:46 PM

this sounds really cool, good job on fully explaining your points.

Fang Xerxes

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:49 PM

View PostOxydate, on 20 October 2011 - 10:45 PM, said:

I particularly like the mirror idea, FYI there are some mods out there that add manny ores to the game.

I am aware of this, but I saw how a lot of people wanted mirrors/reflective surfaces implemented in the game, and since I knew how mirrors were made, that got me to wondering why silver was not in the game.

KyoShinda
    KyoShinda

Enderman Ender

• Members
  • 8155 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:05 PM

I would make it about as rare as gold. The sad thing is, I find diamonds twice as often as gold.
For its uses it seems it would only be good for useless things since it's not as strong as iron. I don't see the point of adding more ore's to the game.
Posted Image

Fang Xerxes

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:11 PM

View PostKyoShinda, on 20 October 2011 - 11:05 PM, said:

I would make it about as rare as gold. The sad thing is, I find diamonds twice as often as gold.
For its uses it seems it would only be good for useless things since it's not as strong as iron. I don't see the point of adding more ore's to the game.

Maybe you're right about the rarity. I might make it that, I don't know.

In terms of uses though, did you read the whole thing? It's like gold was before gold got made all weird and useful: Rubbish in armour and tools but good for making special items and blocks. I'm not sure how those are really 'useless' things, unless you were playing the game as a nomad or something where you didn't use blocks, or playing the game strictly as a gamer with no regard for aesthetics or roleplay (in which case mirrors would be superfluous to you). But mirrors have been requested more than once in the past, and I just thought this was a good way of implementing that.

KyoShinda
    KyoShinda

Enderman Ender

• Members
  • 8155 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:13 PM

If we had to make silver arrows we would have to allow other ores to be used as arrows.
Posted Image

Fang Xerxes

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:17 PM

View PostKyoShinda, on 20 October 2011 - 11:13 PM, said:

If we had to make silver arrows we would have to allow other ores to be used as arrows.

Why? Silver arrows are a very individual item with a very specific use. They are also party to a use exclusive to silver. I see no reason to infer from that that other ores need to be allowed use as arrow components just to make a pretty pattern of game mechanics.

Minecraftdeas

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:26 AM

I like this, especially the mirrors

Posted Image