Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Is AdFly for real?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

Anomaly0117
  • Minecraft: Anomaly452

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:21 AM

Hey guys, I decided to ask this question at the Minecraft community because I know a lot of Minecrafters who seems to use adf.ly to generate revenue by people clicking the links. What I would like to know is,

Is AdFly legit and safe to use!?

Seriously, I searched all over the internet and couldn't find a reliable source that could tell me it was a legit thing. Reply's are greatly appreciated.  ;)

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

jefe
    jefe

Creamymin

• Forum Admin
  • 16131 posts
  • Minecraft: jefe323

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:22 AM

most of the time it is safe, though sometimes bad ads get through

Badgerz
    Badgerz

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2571 posts
  • Minecraft: Badgerz

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:23 AM

Let's just say that unless you have a good virus blocker, your computer will end up with more STDs than your mother.
Posted Image
stolen from Tirin<3

SmeaLeaf
    SmeaLeaf

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:24 AM

I haven't used it, but I do know that you can make money off the advertisements from it.
Posted Image

NathanNutty
  • Minecraft: nathanebba13

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:26 AM

Just dont click the commercials below.
They are normally filled with viruses or impassable surveys.
Just remember only click in the top right of the link of your screen.

and remember always scan the files that you downloaded if you are not sure if it is safe.
Posted Image

Jsn_man
    Jsn_man

Redstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 644 posts
  • Minecraft: Jsn_man

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:26 AM

If you are unsure, use Adcraft.co

Gringo_Starr

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:29 AM

You will get (a small amount of) money from people using your links, so in that sense it is 'legit'.

It is also known to display adverts with malicious content, including the occasional survey that won't allow you to progress unless you complete it (by divulging personal information).

So as far as using it to generate a small amount of revenue from people wanting to download your mod/content goes: Yeah, its fine, as long as you don't mind being a bit of an asshole to people that want to download your content in good faith.

As far as clicking on adf.ly links to download stuff - my recommendation is to just not do it on principle as being asked to run the gauntlet of advertising and potential malware to download a mod is just not reasonable in my opinion, but if you really want the file make sure you are using Firefox/Chrome with Adblock Pro and some sort of malware protection to prevent any potential issues, and make sure to voice your concerns with whoever posted the link (Minecraft's mod comminity is the only one I'm aware of that has this culture of monetising downloads through shady advertising portals like adf.ly and I don't think its healthy).

View PostPhoinex567, on 19 March 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

Hm I Want To Make A Endless age like minecraft But I Want it to be diffrent I'm thinking And I know It's gonna Have Something from like A diffrent game But Kinda Has Like Other Stuff Completely Diffrent I Got To think.

Mobius 1

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:42 AM

just remember this: ABP, and Greasemokey+Deadfly= u no profit

MinecraftTrolledMe

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:09 PM

Considering everyone uses it, its pretty legit.
If I helped you in any way, think about leaving a +1. Thanks!

Phar
    Phar

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1987 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:00 PM

View PostBadgerz, on 20 October 2011 - 02:23 AM, said:

Let's just say that unless you have a good virus blocker, your computer will end up with more STDs than your mother.

Because shortening links is going to mess your computer up. Why don't you actually do a bit of research into the topic before you make a post?

The king of grammatically correct trolls.

Gringo_Starr

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:48 PM

View PostPhar, on 21 October 2011 - 01:00 PM, said:

Because shortening links is going to mess your computer up. Why don't you actually do a bit of research into the topic before you make a post?

No offence, but you shouldn't accuse people of not understanding the issue when you yourself clearly don't understand the issue.

Adf.ly is not a service for shortening links (you want one of those then try tinyURL). Its a service that generates revenue through displaying adverts when you click on an Adf.ly link. The problem is that the adverts it displays are not well screened, and tend to be somewhat 'dubious' in nature, sometimes including malicious scripts or surveys/competitions that harvest personal data.

Hm I Want To Make A Endless age like minecraft But I Want it to be diffrent I'm thinking And I know It's gonna Have Something from like A diffrent game But Kinda Has Like Other Stuff Completely Diffrent I Got To think.

jefe
    jefe

Creamymin

• Forum Admin
  • 16131 posts
  • Minecraft: jefe323

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:11 PM

View PostGringo_Starr, on 21 October 2011 - 02:48 PM, said:

No offence, but you shouldn't accuse people of not understanding the issue when you yourself clearly don't understand the issue.

Adf.ly is not a service for shortening links (you want one of those then try tinyURL). Its a service that generates revenue through displaying adverts when you click on an Adf.ly link. The problem is that the adverts it displays are not well screened, and tend to be somewhat 'dubious' in nature, sometimes including malicious scripts or surveys/competitions that harvest personal data.

actually, ad.fly is a link shortener.  It's in their tagline: "We are a free URL shortener service with a twist...get paid to share your links on the Internet!"

and yes, there are much better link shorteners out there (I like googles personally)

Gringo_Starr

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:39 PM

View Postjefe323, on 21 October 2011 - 05:11 PM, said:

actually, ad.fly is a link shortener.  It's in their tagline: "We are a free URL shortener service with a twist...get paid to share your links on the Internet!"

and yes, there are much better link shorteners out there (I like googles personally)

Well, I would sort of disagree with that, Adfl.ly is an advertising portal that just happens to shorten links. Since the way they work requires that you post a custom link anyway it doesn't make sense not to do this, and of course they will market the service based on features that seem useful rather than saying "We are a free file host with a twist... dubious and poorly-screened advertising content! Get paid with Malware!"

AtomicPaperclip

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:51 AM

use adblock plus

no es problem

TheBigMrP

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

Adfly is an ad. When you go to download something form adfly, wait until the times gets to 0,then u can skip the ad...and it usually goes to a media fire download which is a safe website

ConservativeParty

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:50 PM

Posting all links through adfly is just sad.
The Commies count their quarters and the ArtSci wish they could, the Engs have the longest pole and slam it home for good, so big, so hard, so tall, it reaches all the way to heaven, so shut your hole, we climbed the pole, we're sci 1 ­ing 7!!!

DAMAGE333333

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

View Postnickzombie, on 15 August 2012 - 06:50 PM, said:

Posting all links through adfly is just sad.
that is why some people have an adf.ly link and a direct download link

Posted Image

_Danny12328_
  • Minecraft: _Danny12328_

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:38 AM

Adfly is okay as long as you use adblock or you're very careful to not click on the ads. As of using it for your own links... I don't recommend it because people really just don't like it and it doesn't really generate that much revenue. (It's $0.01 USD for every 5 visitors.) I'd recommend just using tinyURL or goo.gle or bit.ly like the rest of the internet.

Posted Image

Click here to get awesome signatures like this one!

CentrallyProcessed
    CentrallyProcessed

SCT Overlord bow in fear before his might

• Sectional Moderator
  • 5328 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

Please refrain from posting in topics of this age.

Locked.
C# and D programmer, web designer and developer.

I am a representative of DemonVPS. (https://www.DemonVPS.com)