• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Need Video Recording Software

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
54 replies to this topic

KingMudkip

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:25 PM

I'm thinking that I'd like to start a video log of my Minecraft adventures, especially before I start exploring the Nether. Mainly for my own amusement, but this way if I die a humorous, pig-zombie-related death in there, I can share it with all of you fine people. :) Can anyone recommend some good, reliable, FREE video capture software for WinXP?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Register or log in to remove.

sYn12
    sYn12

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Curse Premium
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:48 PM

For free video editing software, I'm not too sure. Windows Movie Maker should be fine if you don't want fancy effects.

Though you requested recommended free software, i would say Sony Vegas Pro 8/9 Is the best for advanced editing (Throughout the Free and Purchaseable software). Though it has quite a large Price Tag.

EDIT: Misread Your post ><

My personal favourite is Fraps and Source Recorder (Source recorder is only available in Source-Based Games(e.g TF2, CSS, HL2, Sourcemods etc))

beffertt
    beffertt

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:17 PM

Well, there are some "free" recorders, but they are horrible,

Fraps is my program of choice,

-snipped-

free and easy, no virus (to my knolawdge, trusted seeder)
fraps make HD video easy, hope u enjoy it

God Of APB

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:33 AM

beffertt said:

Well, there are some "free" recorders, but they are horrible,

Fraps is my program of choice,
-sneep-

free and easy, no virus (to my knolawdge, trusted seeder)
fraps make HD video easy, hope u enjoy it
You can't support piracy here.

WeGame or GameCam might be your best bets at free recorders. Search them up. I personally don't like them, GameCam doesn't work with Steam, and WeGame...well, I just stopped with that one. It was ok.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

kilagain
    kilagain

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:51 AM

@beffertt
Read the rules please.
HλLF A LIFE
(My works: Art, Music, MINECRAFT and other stuff)

runamuck321

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:10 AM

My personal favourite is Fraps.
It is a single payment and you will have it for the rest of your life.

For more information check out: http://www.fraps.com/buy.php
Posted Image

Luusis
    Luusis

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:14 AM

Maybe Xfire...

Remmi
    Remmi

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:16 PM

Microsoft Encoder Free has a new capture tool. It's limited to 10 minutes per capture but you can always string them together for longer productions.

Get it here:
http://www.microsoft... ... rview.aspx

I used it to make the video below but I haven't tried it specifically with Minecraft:

wTAAbeWiC6M

FarZK
    FarZK

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:31 PM

Remmi said:

Microsoft Encoder Free has a new capture tool. It's limited to 10 minutes per capture but you can always string them together for longer productions.

Get it here:
http://www.microsoft... ... rview.aspx

I used it to make the video below but I haven't tried it specifically with Minecraft:

wTAAbeWiC6M

10 minutes is about the max length for people who aren't youtube partners anyway I think. Should be more than enough

i7 2600k  | Gigabyte Z77X | Intel 520 180GB SSD (OS) + SanDisk Extreme 480GB SSD (Games/Apps) | 2x GTX 660ti SLI | 16gb RAM
Samsung Galaxy S3 (Jellybean Omega ROM) - 4x3tb QNAP NAS

TheRetroZombie

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:34 PM

I use Hypercam 3 which is hacked so it can be registered and I also use Camstudio. Though They aren't that good but if you find the right settings.

Smak64
    Smak64

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • Minecraft: Smak64

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:47 AM

To whoever suggested fraps, I think not. Sure it's great quality and only one payment but NO.

I tried to use it, it's great but the recordings cut into 6 minute segments without letting me know. Those segments are also 3.9 GB. Someone would reccomend lowering the quality but It doesn't let me. There's no option to.

putdownthreads said:

Well, in minecraft we all know that shit is created by other shit by finding that shit and doing shit to it, you know what i mean?
Posted Image

MrBaman
    MrBaman

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:10 AM

Fraps, Hypercam, and Camtasia 7 works.  :Pig:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

RainsLikeSnow

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:35 AM

Hey can you help me because when I use Encorder it saves to some weird format called .xecs and I can't edit it
Posted Image

ejonkou
    ejonkou

Iron Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:47 AM

www.fraps.com

It is pretty much the best Screen recorder out there in my oppinion. It is pretty hefty on your system and will pull down your FPS a lot so be careful.

If not you could always use HyperCam or something like that. I used WeGame before I jumped over to Fraps.

Good luck with your problem!

Posted Image

NintendoGuy100
  • Minecraft: NintendoGuy100

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:24 AM

Bandicam it's the same as fraps but the trial has a 10 min limit(Sorry it's not free but 10 mins 20x the fraps trial)

trunksbomb said:

Removed all off-topic posts. From now on, please only discuss your hatred or non-hatred of clay.
Posted ImagePosted Image [SSSS]

freetorule
  • Minecraft: freetorule

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:03 PM

Bandicams audio is out of sync.

meddizzle

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:29 AM

honestly, the best one out there is FRAPS, i dont think any free one can rival it
Visit our channel for Minecraft gameplay and guides!

http://www.youtube.com/LocalHostGaming

Bassdoken
    Bassdoken

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1283 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:22 AM

mr0 said:

Fraps splits long videos because the old 'n' crappy AVI file format has maximum file size of 3,9GB. Fraps also uses very low compression for video (this, together with special capture routines, also makes the performance of Fraps so great) so the recorded files are very large but you can edit and save them in a more suitable format.

WeGame didn't work very well on my old computer. The videos were laggy even with simple games.

I thought GameCam is not free... is there a free version of it?

Camstudio works somewhat with proper codec and low resolution. Uncompressed/"raw" codec (via FFDShow) may give you almost Fraps-like quality but as Camstudio is unable to split large files you can only record very short videos. Only 1 second longer than 3.9GB would allow and the file gets corrupted. Huffyuv works too and offers reasonable compression for game videos but it also needs a lot more CPU power or the videos will be laggy. If someone has found a good codec for game recording please tell it us!

If you have a video capture card (with hardware encoding!) connect it to your graphics card. I think it will give the best results.

Thanks to Remmi for the info about MS Expression Encoder, I will test it soon.

This guy knows what he's talking about. Listen to him.
Windows 7 | Core i5 2500k | Patriot 8GB | HD 6870 | Capstone 450 | Z68ITX-A-E | Barracuda LP 2TB | Chronos 120GB | Lian Li PC-Q08B
Ultrasharp U2211H | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Klipsch S4 | RAT 9 | Das Keyboard

zonezilla

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:07 PM

why was camstudio only mentioned once? its a great program perfect for recording minecraft i made a crazy long 20 minute video with it and it had no lag and worked fine you can even record audio with it if you want anyone checking out video recording software should deffiantly look at camstuido its free and works great

:Yellow:  :)  :)  :D  :(  :Diamond:  :Yellow:  :D  :P  :Notch:  :Diamond:  :Yellow:  :Yellow:

Legendman3

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:05 PM

Yah know if you had ubuntu I know of a great way to record the game with 0 lag...
[Diamond] Posted Image [Diamond]
Give diamonds please?