• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Listen Servers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Silikone

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:12 PM

The fact that a dedicated server is the only way to connect clients in a network game bothers me. Implementing listen servers into the Minecraft binary would allow quick and convenient multiplayer sessions to be established, especially for LANs. It's highly impractical to run a separate server program in the background.

Register or log in to remove.

AndersSlettevold

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:17 PM

what? I can open a server online on my mac right now if that's the case, without hamachi or whatever

TWISTeD398
  • Minecraft: TWISTeD398

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:17 PM

Isn't it MORE practical to have a separate server program?

Piejamas
    Piejamas

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1081 posts
  • Minecraft: Piejamas

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:54 PM

Minecraft is a game with a persistent world, not a kind of 'quick game' kind of thing. It's much more practical to have dedicated servers.
('w')b

Silikone

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:16 PM

View PostTWISTeD398, on 14 October 2011 - 12:17 PM, said:

Isn't it MORE practical to have a separate server program?
Well yes, if you're planning on using a computer specifically made for the task of hosting a 24/7 server. However, if you're going to play privately with a friend or two, you only need the server running when you're actually going to play on it.

Ketran
    Ketran

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1516 posts
  • Minecraft: Ketran

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:45 PM

View PostSilikone, on 14 October 2011 - 01:16 PM, said:

Well yes, if you're planning on using a computer specifically made for the task of hosting a 24/7 server. However, if you're going to play privately with a friend or two, you only need the server running when you're actually going to play on it.

If you are going to host a server for two people just run the server from your computer and turn it on and off when you and your friend want to play it. If you are referring to a dedicated server you pay for I have to say it is a huge waste of money when you are keeping the server open to only you and your mate.
If you re-post an idea I will yell at you, If you suggest guns I will yell at you, If you suggest space travel wid dimonds fur balanse I will yell at you, If you suggest cars I will yell at you, If your avatar is a creeper I will yell at you.