• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Wait a second... looting enchantments can multiply ores

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

sunflower

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:10 AM

I have not tried this, since I am waiting for the next official release... but it seems like it should work in principle.

Ok-

1)When you mine iron and few other things, you can place them back down again

2)Looting enchantments allow you to get extra blocks while you mine

3)You can mine the same iron ore block, and continually place it back down, to get more everytime you mine it, with looting.

Did I miss something, or does it really work this way? Do the multiplying effects only work for drops, and not mining? This seems like a cheap loophole from enchantments, lol.

Is this possible?

Register or log in to remove.

Cornshot1

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:12 AM

It does not work for blocks that drop blocks (Such as Iron ore, and gold ore)

I'm pretty sure Mojang would think of this (Plus it is actually the truth)

Denlock
    Denlock

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • Minecraft: Denlock

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:21 AM

Maybe, instead, iron blocks and gold blocks can drop nuggets or chunks instead?

forevernomad
  • Minecraft: forevernomad

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:00 PM

Just have them drop iron and gold bars instead, it saves you some smelting but stops the ability to cheat instantly.

LoneWolf2142

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:02 PM

never thaught off that...
Did i help, or whas i kinda funny? please press the +1 rep button. it will only take one click.. and you will make my day :)
Posted Image

Shirai_K
  • Minecraft: Shirai_K

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:32 PM

I've yet to see an enchantment that gives additional BLOCKS when something's mined, only extra items. Fortune won't give extra iron ore, but it does give more coal or lapis dye. =]
"DNA - when programming in spam becomes anti-tampering measures." -Self, on DNA
"Just because it's made of an explosive gas and an accelerant doesn't mean water is flammable!" -Self, on a poorly-worded commentary on water.

xTGP
    xTGP

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • Minecraft: xTGP

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:35 PM

I think it does, but you still use your pickaxe out, so it breaks. Also, I think it could easily be patched that only generated blocks can be double-mined (or whatever it's called)
Posted Image

TheNosferatu
  • Minecraft: TheNosferatu

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:41 PM

As stated above, it only works on dropping items. Not blocks.
This Enchantment is also useless with the 'silk touch' Enchantment, since it makes everything drop blocks.

(Having both Enchantments doesn't give you 2 spawners, for example)
God created the Earth. Except Holland, we took that from the sea ourselves.

RiverC
    RiverC

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3516 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:10 PM

View Postsunflower, on 14 October 2011 - 04:10 AM, said:

I have not tried this, since I am waiting for the next official release... but it seems like it should work in principle.

Ok-

1)When you mine iron and few other things, you can place them back down again

2)Looting enchantments allow you to get extra blocks while you mine

3)You can mine the same iron ore block, and continually place it back down, to get more everytime you mine it, with looting.

Did I miss something, or does it really work this way? Do the multiplying effects only work for drops, and not mining? This seems like a cheap loophole from enchantments, lol.

Is this possible?
In case it hasn't been established yet, silk touch causes the block to drop itself (instead of its 'drop'). Looting effects drops. So they're mutually exclusive effects. Any block like cobblestone or iron ore that drops itself on mining is 1. unaffected by silk touch, 2. does not have a drop, so is unaffected by looting.

Doubling diamonds is ridiculous enough already thanks.

BTW - silk touch on glowstone? A very good use methinks, if you're building lamps (instead of getting potion ingredients.
Orthogeeks - the right way to geek.
New podcasts somewhere around weekly! Most recent episode: Episode 2: Spellchecks to 'Scarface'.

volcano_fl

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:35 PM

View PostTheNosferatu, on 14 October 2011 - 01:41 PM, said:

This Enchantment is also useless with the 'silk touch' Enchantment, since it makes everything drop blocks.

There is a "silk touch" enchantment? *brb, farming xp*

Posted Image

Shirai_K
  • Minecraft: Shirai_K

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:44 PM

View Postvolcano_fl, on 14 October 2011 - 02:35 PM, said:

There is a "silk touch" enchantment? *brb, farming xp*
yep.

Also, at the notion of mining glowstone with it -- just get a high value of fortune. Glowstone drops 1~5 dust. With an enchantment at level V, it would hypothetically go from 1~10. :U
"DNA - when programming in spam becomes anti-tampering measures." -Self, on DNA
"Just because it's made of an explosive gas and an accelerant doesn't mean water is flammable!" -Self, on a poorly-worded commentary on water.

lemonnater
  • Minecraft: lemonnater

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:50 PM

View Postforevernomad, on 14 October 2011 - 01:00 PM, said:

Just have them drop iron and gold bars instead, it saves you some smelting but stops the ability to cheat instantly.

What and make the furnaces absolutely useless, I say old chap that is not a spiffing idea it is rather horrible, any way back to the topic at hand, no it is not possible it only works with generated blocks any blocks that are human placed will not be counted as a generated block thus making the enchantment useless on blocks that your character places down.

Einstein said:

The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has its limits

mrwormy
    mrwormy

End Dweller

• Members
  • 6711 posts
  • Minecraft: mrwormy

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

View Postlemonnater, on 14 October 2011 - 02:50 PM, said:

What and make the furnaces absolutely useless, I say old chap that is not a spiffing idea it is rather horrible, any way back to the topic at hand, no it is not possible it only works with generated blocks any blocks that are human placed will not be counted as a generated block thus making the enchantment useless on blocks that your character places down.

Drop ore ITEM instead of ore BLOCK!
"Only a few find the way, Some don't recognize it when they do. Some don't ever want to..." ~Cheshire cat.

lemonnater
  • Minecraft: lemonnater

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:03 PM

View Postmrwormy, on 14 October 2011 - 02:54 PM, said:

Drop ore ITEM instead of ore BLOCK!

Yes I do feel very silly I say after 2 minutes after posting that I realized I had got it wrong, I feel very ashamed of myself.

Einstein said:

The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has its limits

mrwormy
    mrwormy

End Dweller

• Members
  • 6711 posts
  • Minecraft: mrwormy

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:05 PM

View Postlemonnater, on 14 October 2011 - 03:03 PM, said:

Yes I do feel very silly I say after 2 minutes after posting that I realized I had got it wrong, I feel very ashamed of myself.

?

I was saying notch shouud add ore ITEM that way you CAN get extra ore without duplication.
"Only a few find the way, Some don't recognize it when they do. Some don't ever want to..." ~Cheshire cat.