Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Minecraft Problems - Launcher won't connect, .jar replacement crashes browser, etc.


  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1

Quidran
    Quidran

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 13 posts
  • Location: Cosican
  • Minecraft: Quidran

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:28 AM

I'm going to go through my whole process of attempting to get this to work.

I run on 32-bit windows 7.

My friends want me to play Minecraft on a server they run with the newest updates (meaning I need to replace the .jar file). Last week I created my screen name, played around a bit on the old classic free minecraft from the website. I also downloaded the launcher for the paid game before I purchased. After I made my purchase, I attempted to log in on the launcher. I get a grey screen and this error:

((Click here for screenshot.))

<html><body><font color="#808080"><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><center>Failed to update news<br>java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect</center></font></body></html>

When I attempt to login, I get the message:
Can't connect to minecraft.net

((Another screenshot here.))

Okay, that sucks but I suppose I can try the browser. Now, the browser WORKS.
However.


When I attempt to join that server, it says my version is outdated. This is to be expected. They are all playing on the new official 1.9 beta release minecraft.jar file.
However, when I replace the.jar file with ANY other minecraft.jar file than the one downloaded from the minecraft.net browser, the following happens when opening browser Minecraft:

1. I see the 'downloading' screen for a split second.
2. The browser minecraft screen goes black.
3. Mozilla firefox freezes for a few seconds (or freezes completely)
4. The game crashes.
(Or I assume it does, it glitches out by showing any other window I minimize from and is unfunctional.)

Edit Update: Java Console shows this when I attempt to run 1.9.5 after Mcpatcher in the browser version:

Quote

Exception in thread "Thread-11" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.<init>(SourceFile:118)
at l.<init>(SourceFile:34)
at net.minecraft.client.MinecraftApplet.init(SourceFile:34)
at net.minecraft.Launcher.replace(Launcher.java:143)
at net.minecraft.Launcher$1.run(Launcher.java:87)
Caused by: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.lang.RuntimePermission getenv.APPDATA)
at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.System.getenv(Unknown Source)
at com.pclewis.mcpatcher.MCPatcherUtils.getDefaultGameDir(MCPatcherUtils.java:69)
at com.pclewis.mcpatcher.MCPatcherUtils.<clinit>(MCPatcherUtils.java:56)
... 5 more


Things I have tried to do to fix this:

-As suggested on the IRC, I have allowed filters/disabled firewalls.
-Disabled popup blockers in my browsers.
-attempted to reinstall Minecraft completely after wiping all Minecraft data.
-attempted to run after a complete reinstall on a completely new browser. (Opera)
-reinstalled java.
-attempted to download a new launcher from another site.

None of these things I have tried to do has helped or fixed the problems.
A the moment I am only able to play on the browser, and only with the .jar file provided with the 1.8 download on minecraft.net. Until I can change the .jar file, I am unable to play Minecraft for the very reason I purchased it.

=The only suggested thing I have not done is open a port on my router, which I was told is only needed for servers, but I'm willing to do if I know what port needs to be opened and it may help.=

ANY help with this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Edit: I'm able to run 1.9 now, though only because of the update provided through the browser on the minecraft website. other modifications to the .jar file cause errors seemingly.

Register or log in to remove.

#2

Quidran
    Quidran

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 13 posts
  • Location: Cosican
  • Minecraft: Quidran

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:07 AM

Anyone? Seriously I've given all the information I can about this in hopes someone could help me. I spent a lot of time trying to document this so I could get someone to help me fix it..

If not, can I just get a refund? There's no point in playing if I can't do the one thing I bought the game for.

#3

CynicalPride

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:10 AM

View PostQuidran, on 14 October 2011 - 05:07 AM, said:

Anyone? Seriously I've given all the information I can about this in hopes someone could help me. I spent a lot of time trying to document this so I could get someone to help me fix it..

If not, can I just get a refund? There's no point in playing if I can't do the one thing I bought the game for.

Where are you getting the updated minecraft.jar file?

#4

Quidran
    Quidran

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 13 posts
  • Location: Cosican
  • Minecraft: Quidran

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:14 AM

View PostCynicalPride, on 14 October 2011 - 05:10 AM, said:

Where are you getting the updated minecraft.jar file?

First I was getting .jar files from my friends over skype which did not work. I then tried to get the official 1.9 release from this instead:

http://www.minecraft...lease-4-is-out/

I delete all other minecraft.jar files (though sometimes I will keep a backup somewhere else) and stick the new one in my bin folder. No matter where I get it, it will just freeze up the browser once I replace it.

#5

NightKev
    NightKev

    Zombie Killer

  • Members
  • 212 posts
  • Minecraft: NightKev

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:22 PM

I've been getting the same 'error' for a few days now, has something happened..? It's worked fine since I got it way back in alpha, but now it just gives me this error out of nowhere. I'm pretty sure nothing has changed (what would even affect it in this way?).

Quote

<html><body><font color="#808080"><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><center>Failed to update news<br>java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect</center></font></body></html>


#6

oldGanon
    oldGanon

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:39 PM

I get the same error in the launcher for a few days now.
when I try to log in in the launcher it says can't connect to minecraft.net,
I can login on the website but can't play the browser version.

the only thing that changed is that I installed the java developement kit and a new java version because i needed it for school.

#7

okal
    okal

    Glowstone Miner

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3497 posts
  • Location: UK

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:52 PM

It still looks like possible firewall to me, but I've seen reinstalling latest Java 6 fix this error, worth trying if you haven't already.

Also make sure you Windows username does not contain a "!" or other unusual character, Java tends to fails on these.

Else try from a clean boot.

#8

Quidran
    Quidran

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 13 posts
  • Location: Cosican
  • Minecraft: Quidran

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

I have yet to see any changes from this issue. I will soon be moving from 32-bit windows to 64-bit windows and reformatting so I will let you know if anything changes then.

#9

reuXen
    reuXen

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Minecraft: ReuXen

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:50 AM

A solution that worked for me was to NOT use the Minecraft.exe (for Windows) but used the minecraft.jar (for Minecraft for Linux/Other).  Although I am using Windows the exe DOES NOT WORK!!

To get your Launcher to work try the following steps

1. Download the minecraft.jar from the 'Minecraft for Linux/Other' section under 'Show all platforms' on the Minecraft Download page (http://www.minecraft.net/download)
2. Select Run from the Start button
3. in the Run pop up, type in CMD to open the Command Prompt window
4. at the prompt, change to the directory that the downloaded jar file is located in by typing 'cd [your folder path]' eg cd c:\minecraft
5. again at the prompt, type in the command line java -Xmx1024M -Xms512M -cp Minecraft.jar net.minecraft.LauncherFrame
6. The launcher should open and sometimes it takes a little while to connect.
7. happy Minecrafting  :lol:

If this works then you can setup a shortcut so you don't have to type it in every time you want to start it up.

#10

Quidran
    Quidran

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 13 posts
  • Location: Cosican
  • Minecraft: Quidran

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:24 PM

View PostreuXen, on 23 October 2011 - 10:50 AM, said:

A solution that worked for me was to NOT use the Minecraft.exe (for Windows) but used the minecraft.jar (for Minecraft for Linux/Other).  Although I am using Windows the exe DOES NOT WORK!!

To get your Launcher to work try the following steps

1. Download the minecraft.jar from the 'Minecraft for Linux/Other' section under 'Show all platforms' on the Minecraft Download page (http://www.minecraft.net/download)
2. Select Run from the Start button
3. in the Run pop up, type in CMD to open the Command Prompt window
4. at the prompt, change to the directory that the downloaded jar file is located in by typing 'cd [your folder path]' eg cd c:\minecraft
5. again at the prompt, type in the command line java -Xmx1024M -Xms512M -cp Minecraft.jar net.minecraft.LauncherFrame
6. The launcher should open and sometimes it takes a little while to connect.
7. happy Minecrafting  :lol:

If this works then you can setup a shortcut so you don't have to type it in every time you want to start it up.

I will try this right now. Thank you so much! I will let you know if it works.

#11

reuXen
    reuXen

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Minecraft: ReuXen

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:23 PM

View PostQuidran, on 28 October 2011 - 07:24 PM, said:

I will try this right now. Thank you so much! I will let you know if it works.

Hmmm... Just tried the command line against the 1.9.5 PR and it didn't work.

Here's the exception details

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: net/minecraft/LauncherFrame
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: net.minecraft.LauncherFrame
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
Could not find the main class: net.minecraft.LauncherFrame.  Program will exit.


Will try some troubleshooting

#12

Bakugo
    Bakugo

    Void Walker

  • Members
  • 1686 posts
  • Location: Hollow Shades
  • Minecraft: bakugo

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:33 PM

View PostreuXen, on 29 October 2011 - 09:23 PM, said:

Hmmm... Just tried the command line against the 1.9.5 PR and it didn't work.

Here's the exception details

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: net/minecraft/LauncherFrame
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: net.minecraft.LauncherFrame
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
Could not find the main class: net.minecraft.LauncherFrame.  Program will exit.


Will try some troubleshooting

The 1.9pr5 .jar you download is not a launcher... It's the main .jar file.

@OP disable your firewall/antivirus.


Posted Image


#13

Bakugo
    Bakugo

    Void Walker

  • Members
  • 1686 posts
  • Location: Hollow Shades
  • Minecraft: bakugo

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:44 PM

Something is blocking the launcher. Make sure your antivirus/firewall are disabled and try again.

Posted Image


#14

reuXen
    reuXen

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Minecraft: ReuXen

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:38 PM

View Postbakugo, on 29 October 2011 - 09:33 PM, said:

The 1.9pr5 .jar you download is not a launcher... It's the main .jar file.

@OP disable your firewall/antivirus.


Thanks for the tip.

OK ... so I dropped the 1.9pr5 .jar file into my Application Data\.minecraft\bin folder and ran the launcher by command line using 'java -Xmx1024M -Xms512M -cp Minecraft.jar net.minecraft.LauncherFrame' and now I have 1.9pr5 working through the launcher.  Hoorah!


However, running through the browser now has the same behavior as Quidran 'black screen etc...' This is OK though as I can use the launcher for 1.9 and I can revert it back to 1.8 by swapping the older jar file.  Seems a bit hacky but works.

#15

Domos123
    Domos123

    Zombie Killer

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 154 posts
  • Location: United Kingdom
  • Minecraft: Domos123

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:52 PM

I'm working on a program for multiple versions of Minecraft at the moment, keep an eye on http://www.minecraft...ersion-manager/

#16

Quidran
    Quidran

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 13 posts
  • Location: Cosican
  • Minecraft: Quidran

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:37 AM

I've unblocked everything I can think of, I have no antivirus or firewalls up right now.

I noticed when I install 1.9 and test through mcpatcher, I can actually see the loading screen in the launcher and attempt to connect to multiplayer servers. Trying to run the launcher from minecraft.net still doesn't work. I still get the gray screen.

For a minute there I at least didn't have broken minecraft but it was stuck on the 'done loading' screen in the browser. I don't know, something is really messed up here.

#17

Quidran
    Quidran

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 13 posts
  • Location: Cosican
  • Minecraft: Quidran

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:53 AM

New info to throw if anyone might think they know an issue. I redownloaded java today and checked the java console. this is what happens when I try to run the browser with 1.9.5 after using McPatcher.

Quote

Exception in thread "Thread-11" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.<init>(SourceFile:118)
at l.<init>(SourceFile:34)
at net.minecraft.client.MinecraftApplet.init(SourceFile:34)
at net.minecraft.Launcher.replace(Launcher.java:143)
at net.minecraft.Launcher$1.run(Launcher.java:87)
Caused by: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.lang.RuntimePermission getenv.APPDATA)
at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.System.getenv(Unknown Source)
at com.pclewis.mcpatcher.MCPatcherUtils.getDefaultGameDir(MCPatcherUtils.java:69)
at com.pclewis.mcpatcher.MCPatcherUtils.<clinit>(MCPatcherUtils.java:56)
... 5 more

Adding this to the top post as well.

Whenever I remove the minecraft.jar files to attempt to update, trying to get my minecraft files to update through the launcher DOES NOT WORK. It never repalces my .jar file. I think that means that absolutely nothing is connecting through the launcher.

Edit:

I noticed I can't play the classic version of minecraft either. I get this error when I attempt to join a server:

Quote

unable to get input stream for lwjgl_applet.jar.pack


#18

Quidran
    Quidran

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 13 posts
  • Location: Cosican
  • Minecraft: Quidran

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:32 AM

I was able to update to the new version on the day it came out. Not sure why I can't make modified .jar files but the .jars provided by the minecraft website work fine!

#19

ottoguy2
    ottoguy2

    Void Walker

  • Members
  • 1857 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:12 AM

View PostNightKev, on 14 October 2011 - 12:22 PM, said:

I've been getting the same 'error' for a few days now, has something happened..? It's worked fine since I got it way back in alpha, but now it just gives me this error out of nowhere. I'm pretty sure nothing has changed (what would even affect it in this way?).

Solution:
Type run in the search bar. Open it and type: %appdata%
Go into .minecraft and delete the bin folder. Then it will update.
Posted Image
This picture will not do the above.

#20

Apemanzilla
  • Minecraft: Apemanzilla

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:03 PM

I have similar problems. I run 32 bit Win7 again, and use java runtime environment 7. I can login and use single player in the exe version fine, but I cannot download updates or join SMP; it simply says this: connection refused:  connect.