Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Server Delay

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

lordnightwinter
  • Minecraft: LordNightwinter

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:25 PM

I just set up a Minecraft Server and I've run into a problem. It seems that all of my input is delayed by a few seconds sometimes more. If I carve a hallway out in a mountain the blocks disappear then reappear. Once they reappear in a few seconds up to a minute they break as if the server is finally catching up with me. Right now I'm the only one on the server, I know the machine isn't inundated with other tasks because that's it's only task right now, and my connection (while it is cable) is fairly stable and quick.

Also it seems like I, and my monsters, are immortal.
Edit-I'm an idiot. I didn't search for that last part on the forums.
"Life is a very interesting contraption. The problem is that I've taken mine apart and I can't find out where this handful of screws goes."
-LordNightwinter, 2010

Register or log in to remove.

Opeth
    Opeth

Explicit Subrational Content

• Retired Staff
  • Curse Premium
  • 986 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:55 PM

lordnightwinter said:

I just set up a Minecraft Server and I've run into a problem. It seems that all of my input is delayed by a few seconds sometimes more. If I carve a hallway out in a mountain the blocks disappear then reappear. Once they reappear in a few seconds up to a minute they break as if the server is finally catching up with me. Right now I'm the only one on the server, I know the machine isn't inundated with other tasks because that's it's only task right now, and my connection (while it is cable) is fairly stable and quick.

Also it seems like I, and my monsters, are immortal.
Edit-I'm an idiot. I didn't search for that last part on the forums.

The first part seems to be happening to many users recently, whether on their own server or using another server. I'm one of those affected and am having up to 5 minute delays for any text/action input and map generation. From the recent influx of posts it could possibly be due to one of Notch's updates although that isn't known for sure.

Try running a ping test; http://pingtest.net and look up the support forums of your Internet Service Provider to see if anybody else is having issues with online activity (especially in gaming), as it could be related to your ISP, as is possibly with mine.

On the other hand, if you are running your server from your own computer, disregard everything above.

Posted Image

Please wait while I attempt to care

Corrodias

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:28 PM

Check the server's console, see if it's getting spammed with "can't keep up" warnings. Check the cpu usage and see if it's just too slow.

Blucid
    Blucid

Carpenter

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:49 PM

Is there any fix? for this right now the server was running fine for about 20 min or so and then started lagging real bad.

Delays Removing Blocks
Delays Placing Blocks
Moving Player
Picking up objects
...everything was quite delayed and yes that msg did appear in the Linux window, Cant Keep up. I ordered a server Linux Server from NFOServers 1 Core, 1GB Ram and its having problems is that normal, there is only 2 people connected.
Posted Image
teamGF Gaming Community - teamGF Minecraft

jamsessionein

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:10 PM

It's happening to a lot of us, particularly those with larger or more complex maps.

At this point, I'm just recommending that everybody who is having these problems tweet or e-mail notch and explain the difficulties to him. It's not happening to everyone, which is admittedly strange, and I'm concerned that if those of us who are having the problems aren't vocal about it now, he'll never get around to fixing it.