Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Redstone-to-obsidian....

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

ThatOneGuy000
  • Minecraft: ThatOneGuy00

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:56 AM

I'm not sure who does this (or even knows about this) but, anyway, does anyone out there still use the Redstone-to-obsidian trick/bug/glitch/exploit/whatever? I'm talking about placing lava, water, and Redstone dust placed in such a way so that when the lava flows over and down onto the Redstone, which is next to flowing water, the dust turns into obsidian. This allows you to not only make obsidian harvesting easier, but also saves lava and uses excess dust. I'd add pics/vids, but im on my iPod right now. Just trying to see who else does this.

And if this is in the wrong section (I don't think it is....) please tell me.

Thanks,
ThatOneGuy
Classical remixed to dubstep: https://www.youtube....h?v=B0j0m-GUO2s \m/[-_-]\m/

Register or log in to remove.

SH4D0WS1N
  • Minecraft: SH4D0WS1N

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:58 AM

I do this all the time. It's not new, but I don't think many people know about it...
Did I stop responding to this thread? If it's because I was arguing, I most likely cbf to argue. If I was trying to help you, try PMing me.
Posted Image

ThatOneGuy000

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:01 AM

I know it's not new (think the vid I originally saw it in was back in alpha), but I'm just curious as to who does it, and if it's a bug or an intentional (hidden) feature.
Classical remixed to dubstep: https://www.youtube....h?v=B0j0m-GUO2s \m/[-_-]\m/

rbailey5
    rbailey5

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:02 AM

I do this quite a bit.
Posted Image

eetta
    eetta

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Minecraft: Kukkaherra

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:49 AM

Yes, I do this, and I've automated the lava pouring system with one set of pistons releasing lava over the redstone, and an other set for removing the lava faster than it would despawn.
Posted Image

igwb
    igwb

Carpenter

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 46 posts
  • Minecraft: igwb

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:25 AM

I know about it but i don't use it at all.
For three reasons:
1. I don't know why I would want to save lava, in my opinion its very easy to find.
2. I need the redstone for, well, redstone stuff.
3. When I build something out of obsidian, I am usually placing the lava where i want the obsidian and pour water over it.(I don't like to mine obsidian, takes for ever.)

bakstar
    bakstar

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • Minecraft: darthbakstar

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:35 AM

View Postigwb, on 11 October 2011 - 10:25 AM, said:

For three reasons:
1. I don't know why I would want to save lava, in my opinion its very easy to find.
3. When I build something out of obsidian, I am usually placing the lava where i want the obsidian and pour water over it.(I don't like to mine obsidian, takes for ever.)

Great minds think alike! :D

eetta
    eetta

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:20 PM

View Postigwb, on 11 October 2011 - 10:25 AM, said:

For three reasons:

1. It's not for saving lava, but for simplifying the gathering process. If you use water on a lava lake, most of the obsidian will fall to the lava below after mined.
2. Redstone is so common, you can't possibly need it all for contraptions.
3. Building the mold for the lava, pouring water on it and clearing the water and the mold might feel like it's faster, but you won't be saving much time at all. That's why I like to mine the obby first, then use it where needed. I use your method if I don't have a diamond pick at hand.
Posted Image

menu2346
    menu2346

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:27 PM

I do it sometimes but about igwb's comment redstone is also easy to find and, if you wanted to build a portal, you'd only need to find abut five ore with this glitch/bug and 1 bucket of lava but without the bug you will need about 20 buckets or a very slow back & forth for lava pour in frame so on.
Posted ImageClick the Green + to contribute to the "Make Menu2346 Feel Better Foundation" oh yeah, your contribution has tax deduct-ability.

igwb
    igwb

Carpenter

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:29 PM

View Posteetta, on 11 October 2011 - 12:20 PM, said:

1. It's not for saving lava, but for simplifying the gathering process. If you use water on a lava lake, most of the obsidian will fall to the lava below after mined.
2. Redstone is so common, you can't possibly need it all for contraptions.
3. Building the mold for the lava, pouring water on it and clearing the water and the mold might feel like it's faster, but you won't be saving much time at all. That's why I like to mine the obby first, then use it where needed. I use your method if I don't have a diamond pick at hand.

1. True, thats why i go with the pouring in a trench method described by you in 3.
2. Yes, Redstone is common but however I did actually manage to spent all my redstone on a combination lock. I put the lock in a obsidian room, see below
Spoiler:
3. Let's proof with facts.

Mining 1 block of obsidian takes 15 seconds
I can carry 36 bukkets of lava in my inventory

Lets say it takes me 4 minutes to fill my inventory and 4 to empty the buckets at the place I desire(including puring the water).
That would be 8 minutes, in that span of time 32 Blocks of obsidian could be mined.
(Not to mention that I think I can be faster than 8 minutes)
And you have to refill your machine with redstone in the time. So you'd have less than 32 Blocks.
But I would have to get my lava to my building site what could take about 2 minutes, so I'd need 10 minutes to produce 36 obsidian blocks.

You would have mined 40 blocks by that, but you did not place them yet and you used 40 redstonedust what would make about 10 Redstone ore and you spent time mining them.

Summary of 10 minutes:

You: 40 Blocks - not placed
     40 Redstone dust used.
Me:  36 Blocks - placed
     No dust used.
     108 Iron used for bukkets, but i can use them for all my future projects.

Knowing this, I think I am more efficient.
But, if you barely build with redstone it makes more sense to use your method.

View Postmenu2346, on 11 October 2011 - 12:27 PM, said:

I do it sometimes but about igwb's comment redstone is also easy to find and, if you wanted to build a portal, you'd only need to find abut five ore with this glitch/bug and 1 bucket of lava but without the bug you will need about 20 buckets or a very slow back & forth for lava pour in frame so on.

Yes, I admit if you only need a short amount of obsidian the redstone generator is better.

But its very handy at big projects (floor/roof) described above in my post.

-- igwb

LoneWolf2142

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:50 PM

didint know about this.. i will check it out.. thncx :)
Did i help, or whas i kinda funny? please press the +1 rep button. it will only take one click.. and you will make my day :)
Posted Image

ThatOneGuy000

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:15 PM

So I understand your reasons, but I still don't know if it's a bug or an intentional feature....

eetta
    eetta

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:16 PM

It's been around for ages, I don't think it'll be taken away
Posted Image

slango20
    slango20

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:36 PM

I thought this did not exist  any more but I tried it but died by lava ver 1.7.3.

View Postfm87, on 25 August 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

pcpartpicker.com/p/2kUq0
the average script-follower/lack of common sense: www.techtales.com/tftechs.php?m=200504#8418

--------
    --------

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Minecraft: TheOsco11

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:51 PM

I haven't heard of this before :/ Can someone link a video?

Regular Hexahedron

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:13 PM

It's a bug. Notch knows about it and considered removing it, but probably realized that turning a relatively rare substance like redstone into an infinitely accessible object like obsidian isn't overpowered.

There is infinite lava to be gathered in the nether. And if you dig around a bit at bedrock level you'll find more lava than you know what to do with too. I don't harvest obsidian from lava pools themselves anymore, I move the lava to a safe location and turn it into obsidian there. The only reason to use this glitch is if you haven't dug a stair down to sea level in the nether, and haven't found a lava pool underground yet.

Redstone dust will soon be consumable as a potion ingredient too, so you definitely won't want to spend it on obsidian then.
To see a list of my redstone inventions check out Regular Hexahedron's Inventorium!

igwb
    igwb

Carpenter

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:52 PM

View PostTheOsco11, on 11 October 2011 - 04:51 PM, said:

I haven't heard of this before :/ Can someone link a video?

Shure, here.
as seen on the wiki. (very bottom of the page)

View PostRegular Hexahedron, on 11 October 2011 - 06:13 PM, said:

It's a bug. Notch knows about it and considered removing it, but probably realized that turning a pretty infinitely accessible block like obsidian into a relatively rare resource like redstone isn't overpowered.

There is infinite lava to be gathered in the nether. And if you dig around a big at bedrock level you'll find more lava than you know what to do with too. I don't harvest obsidian from lava pools themselves anymore, I move the lava to a safe location and turn it into obsidian there. The only reason to use this glitch is if you haven't dug a stair down to sea level in the nether, and haven't found a lava pool underground yet.

Redstone dust will soon be consumable as a potion ingredient too, so you definitely won't want to spend it on obsidian then.

Exactly what I am thinking.  B)

noober12345
  • Minecraft: noober12345

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:56 PM

:iapprove:

Regular Hexahedron

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:57 PM

Here's a very easy way to harvest lots of obsidian. Easier than filling up your inventory with buckets of lava.

1. Find a large pool of lava underground.
2. Dig out a small room nearby. Make several 1x1 holes in the floor.
3. Fill up these holes with lava from the pool.
4. Flood the room with water, turning all the lava in those holes into obsidian. Don't let water reach the lava pool you found.
5. Collect the water.
6. Mine the obsidian.
7. Repeat as necessary.

This way you don't have to make several trips to and from your base. Harvest all the obsidian you need in a safe place right near the lava.
To see a list of my redstone inventions check out Regular Hexahedron's Inventorium!

igwb
    igwb

Carpenter

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:57 PM

View PostRegular Hexahedron, on 11 October 2011 - 06:57 PM, said:

Here's a very easy way to harvest lots of obsidian. Easier than filling up your inventory with buckets of lava.

1. Find a large pool of lava underground.
2. Dig out a small room nearby. Make several 1x1 holes in the floor.
3. Fill up these holes with lava from the pool.
4. Flood the room with water, turning all the lava in those holes into obsidian. Don't let water reach the lava pool you found.
5. Collect the water.
6. Mine the obsidian.
7. Repeat as necessary.

This way you don't have to make several trips to and from your base. Harvest all the obsidian you need in a safe place right near the lava.

Shure , but as I explained that takes some time, and it requires a Diamond-pick.
And me, personally I find it very boring to mine obsidian for half an hour, I prefer walking around.

But, well everyone should do it as they like it most. Either with redstone, small trenches or walking around.

:obsidian: :obsidian: :obsidian:  obsidian to you. :D

--igwb