• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Animals in Skyblock

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

themischke

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:35 AM

So I've been trying for the past couple of days to spawn cows sheep and pigs for my map in the Skyblock challenge, but mobs just don't seem to spawn. I've got the majority of my dirt blocks placed in this little "farm" area, but nothing is spawning. They're all grass blocks, so that isn't my problem either. Anyone care to help me out here?

-Mischke

Register or log in to remove.

AbeTheBlackFox
  • Minecraft: AbeTheBlackFox

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:39 AM

Torches increase your chances of spawning things on grass. Try to get the grass as flat and spread out as you can. I've seen the skyblock area, I know you don't have a lot to work with.

Want to know more about me? Read my detailed "About Me" to find out.

themischke

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:44 AM

Lighting isn't an issue, and I just checked the dimensions of the area, it's a 5x8 rectangle of flat grass. SO it's a decen't size. I might try adding another row so it's a 6x8. I wish I knew more about what mobs need to spawn, my hostile mob spawner is just fine.

AbeTheBlackFox
  • Minecraft: AbeTheBlackFox

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:52 AM

View Postthemischke, on 11 October 2011 - 12:44 AM, said:

Lighting isn't an issue, and I just checked the dimensions of the area, it's a 5x8 rectangle of flat grass. SO it's a decen't size. I might try adding another row so it's a 6x8. I wish I knew more about what mobs need to spawn, my hostile mob spawner is just fine.
Well then there shouldn't be any problems unless you've built something over the top of the grass.
Could just be a waiting game for the passives to spawn in such a small space.

Want to know more about me? Read my detailed "About Me" to find out.

Spanone
    Spanone

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:24 AM

View Postthemischke, on 11 October 2011 - 12:44 AM, said:

I think the problem is the rate at which they spawn.
Since 1.8 friendly mob spawning has been severely reduced. (I think)
Like, to almost never spawning rates.

Also, you should be at least 24 blocks away from the area where they should be spawning.

If you want to do it easily use MCEdit.

My CTM Maps!

Very difficult maps. Do you have what it takes?

jthardwell

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:24 PM

As of Beta 1.8 notch made it so non-hostile mobs Never respawn. Instead the are linked with chunk generation. this means if no animals where in the chunk when the creator made the map it is impossible to get animals to spawn. however I think notch changed it in 1.0 because i was trying to move my skyblock away from the ice plains biome its currently in, I was flying around to find another biome and when i came back to skyblock a cow had spawned! hope that helped

legomanz56

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:04 AM

ive been doing skyblock and wondering the same thing

wizkida57
  • Minecraft: wizkida57

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:09 PM

if u REALLY want the mobs as of 1.3.1 u can open the world to lan then allow cheats and go into creative(/gamemode 1) and spawn them.

Evil__Hobo

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:39 AM

View Postwizkida57, on 13 August 2012 - 02:09 PM, said:

if u REALLY want the mobs as of 1.3.1 u can open the world to lan then allow cheats and go into creative(/gamemode 1) and spawn them.
that didn't work

rolfXD
    rolfXD

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • Minecraft: RolfXD

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

just place random grass down 24blocks away from the place you hang out the most

Ihavedahswag
  • Minecraft: Ihavedahswag

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

I think you are either:
1. Too far away
2. Too close
3. Too small of an island

jespertheend

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:51 PM

I've tried it in bukkit, and changed ticks-per: animal-spawns to 1 in the bukkit.yml so mobs will be spawning a lot.
Then I made (in creative to test it out) a grass platform on the place of the island where the biome is taiga and a grass platform on the place where it is just plains. And I found out that nothing spawned on the platform in the 'taiga' biome but everything in the 'plains' biome.

I'm not sure what the biomes look like on the original skyblock map, because I've an adjusted version.
Posted Image

PartyPoison98
  • Minecraft: PartyPoison98

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

This has nothing to do with Modding

Posted Image

MrDaniel
    MrDaniel

The Meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything...

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Minecraft: DanilaFe

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:45 AM

View Postjthardwell, on 08 December 2011 - 05:24 PM, said:

As of Beta 1.8 notch made it so non-hostile mobs Never respawn. Instead the are linked with chunk generation. this means if no animals where in the chunk when the creator made the map it is impossible to get animals to spawn. however I think notch changed it in 1.0 because i was trying to move my skyblock away from the ice plains biome its currently in, I was flying around to find another biome and when i came back to skyblock a cow had spawned! hope that helped
He did change it. My friend's island on bukkit always has sheep, even if he kills them...
Posted Image

Pizzacheese4

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

try bonemealing the grass maybe?

RIFTAZ112
  • Minecraft: Riftaz11

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:37 AM

perhaps make sure your island isnt above an ocean desert of river biome

Press14English

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:00 PM

Many good answers here.  I got animals to spawn with no cheats or any funny business.  The essentials are:

-Grass (not just dirt)
-Light level (9 or above)
-Valid biome (non-ocean, desert, river)
-Your distance from mob spawn area (24 block minimum)
-Patience

In an ice mountain biome, I built a long bridge to get myself far enough away for the mobs to spawn, and let my game sit for about half a day.  When I checked in, I had many cows and sheep, one chicken and one pig.  I collected the chickens a eggs, and threw them to hatch more, but I'm still hoping for another pig to spawn so I can mate them.
Minecraft 1.6.4 / Forge 9.11.1.953 / OptiFine HD Ultra C7 / GLSL Shader 2.0.1 / SEUS Standard 10.0

Posted Image

Kingcreeper296

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:11 AM

I play skyblock on a server (youminewecraft skyblock) and my island is above a ocean which sucksPosted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image

tewhataboii

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:38 AM

yer i dont know how but i know it is possible because i was collecting all my dirt to make a farm (i had to make a trail for the grass to spread so animals could spawn) i went back to my house which is about 64 away from the spawn island and there were inksacs in my cobblestone generator. :)

dynamicMCman2ALT

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

I hope this video helps.
P.S: I didn't make it, so don't thank me.
Posted Image
Posted Image