• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Midgar Project

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

prepare2fire

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:58 AM

When infinate size maps come out im going to plan out a midgar, definately =D(If infinate maps are in creative mode also). I need some sources, maby some idea's, and maby some contributors of people who are willing to help with this. I will run the project on a more democratic style, ware all working on it will decide what to do if all agree. All who want to participate will be on a list I will make below.
-Prepare2fire
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Real Minecrafters rate my video 5 starts
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=SluT3Q5velw

Register or log in to remove.

Doomwaffle

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:24 AM

wuts midgar
Posted Image

mrwormy said:

I destroy dicks.

Janitor.Master

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:24 AM

Maybe midgard?
Posted Image
Some have asked about the fort in my avatar. Here you go.

Neko_Baron

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:28 AM

Presumably Midgar the fictional city of Final Fantasy 7, Midgar is basicaly made up of a circle of 8 (I think) interconnected sectors with another large plate that literally make up the upper sectors of the city with the Shinra corporation smack bang in the middle of it all. Each sector has a Mako reactor on the outskirts of the city.

Its a viciously huge project since getting the right scale would be a nightmare, plus most of the sectors are never seen in the game making this even more of a challenge depending on how detail you wish to be if you want to be able to map every location possible as the game play of the city of Midgar took up an entire CD with pre rendered cut scenes it its time.
Blarg

LightWarriorK
  • Minecraft: LightWarriorK

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:39 PM

A very ambitious project.

Neko's concerns are well-founded.  It'd be almost impossible to coordinate a team of individuals without forcing them into some sort of architectural standard, which they probably won't like.

And yeah, there's the problem with scale.  Midgar doesn't seem so huge from the intro cut scene, but throughout the first disk it's apparent that it's very huge.  A real city.  Two, actually, if you count the slums as seperate.

Lastly, right now I don't think that Minecraft has the appropriate features for something like Midgar.  You're going to need some kind of electricity to simulate Mako energy, and without even artificial lights, just torches, you're not going to get the look you need.

For those that know FFVII and Midgar (Doomwaffle makes me weep :cry: ), it is a very beloved location.  Doing it poorly isn't going to cut it.

But I'll be interested to see your plans and ideas on it.

prepare2fire

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:23 PM

LightWarriorK said:

A very ambitious project.

Neko's concerns are well-founded.  It'd be almost impossible to coordinate a team of individuals without forcing them into some sort of architectural standard, which they probably won't like.

And yeah, there's the problem with scale.  Midgar doesn't seem so huge from the intro cut scene, but throughout the first disk it's apparent that it's very huge.  A real city.  Two, actually, if you count the slums as seperate.

Lastly, right now I don't think that Minecraft has the appropriate features for something like Midgar.  You're going to need some kind of electricity to simulate Mako energy, and without even artificial lights, just torches, you're not going to get the look you need.

For those that know FFVII and Midgar (Doomwaffle makes me weep :cry: ), it is a very beloved location.  Doing it poorly isn't going to cut it.

But I'll be interested to see your plans and ideas on it.
I appriciate your input alot. If lava was transportable the mako effects would be done, but, being that its not, I would be out of luck. I thought of everythang you mentioned, I don't just shur into thangs and as for each structure, it will be made one at a time in a democratic manner to prevent utter chaos. A frame for the city will be made by myself and it might not be made extremely detailed, but, I will do my best.
Real Minecrafters rate my video 5 starts
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=SluT3Q5velw

Fire7548
    Fire7548

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:13 AM

Neko_Baron said:

Presumably Midgar the fictional city of Final Fantasy 7, Midgar is basicaly made up of a circle of 8 (I think) interconnected sectors with another large plate that literally make up the upper sectors of the city with the Shinra corporation smack bang in the middle of it all. Each sector has a Mako reactor on the outskirts of the city.

Its a viciously huge project since getting the right scale would be a nightmare, plus most of the sectors are never seen in the game making this even more of a challenge depending on how detail you wish to be if you want to be able to map every location possible as the game play of the city of Midgar took up an entire CD with pre rendered cut scenes it its time.

Whoo! Good luck. It's gonna be difficult.

Dark
    Dark

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1511 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:28 PM

If you do this you must release it on a map and be praised for making an awesome thing from an awesome game

Fail and I don't blame you, a section of midgar would be extremely difficult

HappyBullet

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:27 PM

This would be very hard. To add, if you plan on going all out with Midgar, you would not only need to do the top surface but the slums and the secretive Reactor 0/ Deepgrounds HQ which is like another entire city itself but under the shinra building in Midgar.

If you don't feel up to it, you can always do the destroyed Midgar after the Meteor obliterates the city at the end of FF7. You can get looks of the destroyed Midgar in Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus.

Nalix
    Nalix

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:20 AM

This sounds like an awesome project that would be a lot of fun to work on, especially seeing how I like architectural standards and symmetry. After a basic design is worked up I think the basic layout of the city would be very simple to implement albeit time consuming. The hard part is going to be filling in all of the details, but isn't it always? The different Weapons (Ruby, Emererald, ect.) should be somewhere in the map too. Although the more and more I get into the idea the more I just want to create the entire world of FFVII which is probably far too ambitious.

emgmod
    emgmod

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:44 AM

I like the idea a lot. I was thinking of recreating a city that uses a lot of grids, so construction could be relatively simple.

Edit: Like Houston St. to the Hudson River in NYC.
It is ALWAYS 3:00. Not 3:00 AM or 3:00 PM, just 3:00.

Kat_Sith
    Kat_Sith

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:35 AM

Holy shit. If you're actually serious about this, I would be more than happy to help, as long as accuracy prevails.

And on the note of how most sectors weren't shown, they were grid-based, and completely identical on the top-side.
The slums were just that. Slums. They were just thrown together, so that's more of a poetic license type of thing
[except for the sectors 7 and 6 slums.
Posted Image
Posted Image

zankioh
    zankioh

Carpenter

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:45 AM

You'd end up being my God if you managed to pull this off, but why would you need infinite size? 8x earth's surface should suffice?

In any case, it'd be an enormous project. Hats off to you for trying to attempt that.
Climb the highest mountain - Punch the face of God

Abnegation

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:48 AM

Guys... You're almost a year late.

Eniliad said:

Clearly, you know everything.

Kat_Sith
    Kat_Sith

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:22 PM

Yeah, it's late, but I just registered for the forums yesterday.
Not to mention, just because something gets pushed back/cancelled, doesn't mean that you can't try again.
Posted Image
Posted Image

SoloWingDragon

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:14 PM

Dude! Midgar would be so hard to build! BTW who is your favourite character? Mine is Red XIII

Posted Image

Travis
    Travis

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 17744 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:18 PM

SoloWingDragon said:

Dude! Midgar would be so hard to build! BTW who is your favourite character? Mine is Red XIII
Why the fuck did you bump it?...
Posted Image

Stonehawk
  • Minecraft: Stonehawk

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:28 PM

O THREAD, RIIIISE FROM THINE ASHES!!

Did you know: The underside of the plate is 50 Meters above the ground?

Using some simple mathematics, it means that the Mako Reactor periphery is 0.8 kilometers in diameter!
800 meters wide. And the upper city's ground level is at least at 60 meters height. Yeeess... we'd need to either:
1. Build the UPPER and LOWER sections of midgar in two entirely separate locations,
2. Build midgar in Creative mode, where you actually -can- have more than a paltry 128 meters of altitude,
3. Wait for the height cap to either be raised or removed entirely.

BUT IT IS POSSIBLE.

Turbine_Engine_Mechanic

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:44 PM

thread necromancers ftw...  <_<

Stonehawk
  • Minecraft: Stonehawk

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:34 PM

View PostTurbine_Engine_Mechanic, on 12 August 2011 - 05:44 PM, said:

thread necromancers ftw...  <_<

Raising a thread about Final Fantasy VII is easy...
Because FINAL FANTASY 7 REFUSES TO DIE. XD