Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Jeb - Pre-releases all the way up to minecon

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Crimson_Engage

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:31 AM

http://twitter.com/#...306381427220480

Looks like people who use Bukkit aren't going to be too happy. I'm one such person. Unless the guy's who make Bukkit start doing bukkit updates for the pre-releases this isn't good. This is why a few people don't like the pre-releases. So now we won't get an official update until after minecon.

So those of us who want the new features will be forced to update to the pre-release or play on 1.8 until Minecon.

Mojang need to hire the guys that make Bukkit so they can release server updates more efficiently. MC servers are lame and you can't mod them. LONG LIVE BUKKIT!
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

katherin_sanders
  • Minecraft: hampsterrr

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:33 AM

aw that's disappointing. I also mainly use bukkit to play with a friend..

Sneckster

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:34 AM

In a way this is annoying as it means no mods will work until after minecon, but thinking about it if 1.9 came out and it had mods for it then I still wouldn't be able to use them when a prerelease of 1.10 came out.

DaBiggman

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:36 AM

Damnit
Posted Image
Diamond Awards: 2

DaBiggman, you now have my favorite avatar on these forums

Crimson_Engage

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:36 AM

View PostSneckster, on 10 October 2011 - 08:34 AM, said:

In a way this is annoying as it means no mods will work until after minecon, but thinking about it if 1.9 came out and it had mods for it then I still wouldn't be able to use them when a prerelease of 1.10 came out.

And that's why this is annoying for us Bukkit users. Bukkit helps me keep people in line on my server while also having great features for the players to use. All that is gone now. Obviously I want to update so I can use the new features and stuff so it looks like people will have to do without bukkit, or continue to play 1.8 for 40 days.
Posted Image

purplemuffizzle

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:37 AM

That is odd!

But come on guys, we're on the home stretch here! Minecon is not that far away! After that--minecraft is a full game! Probably fewer updates(saving up for big, themed updates) and so servers will have more time to adjust to the chaos of a new version!

It's like the last mile of a marathon! We're almost there!

I personally have been switching between 1.8 and 1.9 pre releases this whole time. Jumping to 1.8 when I want to play on a server, and plugging in 1.9 when I want to try out new features!

Lord Aro

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:38 AM

Only affects people running the buggy pre release servers. They know what they are getting themselves in to so it still doesn't affect them.

Sneckster

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:42 AM

View Postpurplemuffizzle, on 10 October 2011 - 08:37 AM, said:

But come on guys, we're on the home stretch here! Skyrim is not that far away!

There you go I corrected it for you.

RestInPieces
  • Minecraft: Rest_In_Pieces

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:44 AM

Quote from the wiki:

Date change

Initially intended to be held on November 11, 2011, Persson announced that MineCon 2011 would have to be held on a different date due to the facilities at Las Vegas being completely booked on, and around, that date. Because of this, it is now to be held November 18—19, 2011.[72]

Does Jeb really mean that he won't release the full 1.9 until then? Are we sure about this?
Posted Image

GorgeousTaylor

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:44 AM

But... They're not even adding any content after the 18th, so... What does this mean?

purplemuffizzle

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:46 AM

Possibly means the full adventure update=the finished game. Meaning all new content worked on as well as bug fixes will be part of the big finished game?

Yrael
    Yrael

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:48 AM

I'm wondering if this means that they're going to keep adding new content after the 18th of October after all, or whether these pre-releases will be purely related to bug-fixes? If it's the former, I'm a tad worried, in all honesty - this game is in desperate need of optimisation.

I think this new work with the Ender dimension and dragons could honestly have waited until a later patch, after the official Minecraft release. It would have been much simpler to first focus on finishing the features that are still incomplete (*cough*villagers*cough*), and then use the time remaining to clean up all these bugs and memory leaks.

Don't get me wrong, I love the dragons and all, but I find Mojang's erratic update schedule to be quite puzzling.

12sea21
    12sea21

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:53 AM

I think they should just stop. Focus on the previous things and start updating and completing them one by one. Dragons are not an exceptions. Get villagers done first, so we can interact and then Dragons and so we can ask if they need help, and when they say 'Yes! Please assist our poorly made, wooden village!' you could say '**** YOU! I love dragons and so i will get a flint and steel...'

View Postifstatement, on 14 September 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

An Enderman disassembled my house and built a better one next to it. Now I am jealous as well as mortified. That mob is evil.
Posted Image

RestInPieces
  • Minecraft: Rest_In_Pieces

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:54 AM

Is it so hard to understand that they thing most servers are waiting for is terrain generation?

Why don't they finalise terrain generation, realease it, then add whatever they want to add.
Posted Image

Punisher1295

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:58 AM

This really disappoints me. I don't know what to say about Minecraft now. Looks like I'm sticking with 1.8.1 for QUITE a while.
This is a useless signature.

shadow_dragon

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:08 AM

There's no reason for servers to rush up to the latest pre release, especially considering how buggy the terrain gen is in Pr3.

Ujelly?
    Ujelly?

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:24 AM

I think people are reading too much into this, notch wants to feed out the performance upgrades and optimization. Why does this annoy server people, prerelease isnt mandatory.
Beta Players, Beta players everywhere!

Daedalus1882

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:28 AM

View PostPunisher1295, on 10 October 2011 - 08:58 AM, said:

This really disappoints me. I don't know what to say about Minecraft now. Looks like I'm sticking with 1.8.1 for QUITE a while.

Me too.

Really disappointed with this news. :(
Check out my Minecraft YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CrouchyLP

TheNosferatu
  • Minecraft: TheNosferatu

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:35 AM

yay! good news then :)

Also, to whoever said Notch should hire the bukkit team, first I slap you, then I'll tell you that Notch has already mentioned doing pre-releases to the bukkit team so they can test it. (this was before the actual public pre-releases)

All I need to 'keep ppl in line' are a few friends who are OP and kick / ban grievers then use creative mode to help restore damage.

I have quit multiple smp servers because they used bukkit, and started adding all kind of weird mods, just because it was bukkit available. Sigh.

It is also way more fun to re-build your creation with the help of an admin who is in creative mode then to simply 'world guard' your structures.

Also: why the 'Oh noes! I'm stuck with the 1.8.1 version!! Whatever am I gonna do??' ehm, 1.8.1 is not that bad a version, you know? My nephew and niece are stuck on a version where shears haven't been added and they love it. (true, this might be because they don't know what their missing)
God created the Earth. Except Holland, we took that from the sea ourselves.

Sneckster

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:00 AM

View PostUjelly?, on 10 October 2011 - 09:24 AM, said:

I think people are reading too much into this, notch wants to feed out the performance upgrades and optimization. Why does this annoy server people, prerelease isnt mandatory.

People were expecting a 1.9 release by the end of the week and then only performance and bugs to be fixed after that.  This way the servers and mods could get to work on 1.9 while pre-releases of the bug fixes would slowly trickle out for those that want them.

Without a 1.9 coming out there is no clear version for mcp and bukkit to stick to.