• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Forestry for Minecraft, Trees, Bees and more!

• Please log in to reply
8631 replies to this topic

ferrettomato
  • Minecraft: ferrettomato
  • Xbox:NumbCook Kirby

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

View PostSheltered, on 10 February 2013 - 12:04 AM, said:

There are bees in Forestry that will harm you with or without Tekkit. Different bees cause different effects to mobs and players when close. Tropical bees will poison you. Sinister bees will simply just damage you.

There were actually a time when the bees were extra ferocious if you had Tekkit or Technic. Really devastating bees that made the game unplayable, but that was removed again.
OK, thanks.
A volcano could be coming your way!
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Too-DAMN-Much

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

View PostAdam Novagen, on 11 February 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:

-snip-

easy way to remember it is tin cans from forestry is three in a U shape, IC2 cells are a four in a diagonal cornered box.

Lady_Oolong

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

Does the multiblock peat farm really need to require fertilizer? Given that peat, as far as Minecraft is concerned, requires only dirt, sand, water and time? (and if it were IRL, decayed organic mater)

Rationale: I set up a Railcraft steam boiler on a server to power a shared workshop. I want it to be able to keep running even if I haven't logged in for a week or more, so I wanted a completely self-sustainable system and settled on peat for the fuel with buildcraft piping and autocrafting for resupply (plus Thermal expansion for generating sand). I started it with a mk 1 peat farm, even knowing they were deprecated, because I wanted to start with what I was familiar with. I don't think it's OP given the time and materials invested in setting the entire system up with the farm, boiler, gates, TE ducts and conduits, etc (it's an 8 chamber LP boiler with a max output of 16 MJ; if I'd wanted it easy, I could have just attached electrical engines to the collection of Advanced Solars the other guys had). I'd like to be able to switch it to a multiblock farm, but I'm stumped on how to deal with the fertilizer other than counting on other people to remember to feed it occasionally, not something I put a lot of faith in. (I only just found out about the Railcraft saltpeter option but don't know enough to remark on it yet).

Even if the fertilizer requirement shouldn't be gotten rid of entirely...maybe make it an exception to not being able to substitute compost or mulch, because compost is actually organic matter and makes more sense in terms of what peat is IRL and has the benefit of being renewable and automate-able.

Anyway, cheers. I'm mostly excited about the new farms, especially orchards once I can figure out the tree breeding magic to get the needed trees (I hope the Treealyzer descriptions and/or the wiki get updated with hints soon because right now I'm going by random pairings, luck, and a couple hints from Jadedcat and progress is slow).

Khayr
    Khayr

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

This is going to sound like a really dumb question, but I'm having trouble crafting the scented paneling needed to create my alveary. I have all the materials set into the carpenter, but I'm not sure how to get honey into the liquid part of the machine. On top of that (though it may be because there is no honey in there yet) the pattern I put in for the scented paneling does not seem to recognize that it's supposed to craft them (nothing shows up in the output box). Am I missing something there? How do I get the honey in there?

rrusciguy
    rrusciguy

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 911 posts
  • Minecraft: rrusciguy

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

View PostKhayr, on 12 February 2013 - 10:19 PM, said:

This is going to sound like a really dumb question, but I'm having trouble crafting the scented paneling needed to create my alveary. I have all the materials set into the carpenter, but I'm not sure how to get honey into the liquid part of the machine. On top of that (though it may be because there is no honey in there yet) the pattern I put in for the scented paneling does not seem to recognize that it's supposed to craft them (nothing shows up in the output box). Am I missing something there? How do I get the honey in there?

either pipe it in, or put it in the slot at the top of the liquid meter
"my build. I push the buttons" -DW
He's a mad man with a box
Posted Image

Khayr
    Khayr

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

View Postrrusciguy, on 12 February 2013 - 10:24 PM, said:

either pipe it in, or put it in the slot at the top of the liquid meter
I guess a better question (still a dumb one) would be how do I turn the honey drops into actual honey?

Scratch that, just figured it out fml. e____e Thanks for the help anyway haha.

AEtherchild
  • Minecraft: AEtherchild

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:50 AM

Is there a call within the 2.0.0.x API to set custom blocks with which you can use to craft the Multifarm pieces? I've looked through the API and not seen anything, but there's always the chance I'm just being blind and/or dumb. If there is such a call, is there any special rendering needed my end, or is Forestry magical enough to locate the texture of the component piece and overlay the correct graphic for which Multifarm piece you are crafting? I may be expecting too much here, mind.

dwong
    dwong

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • Minecraft: 40880472

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:54 AM

For some reason apatite and saltpepper is not generating in the overworld, but in mystcraft ages.
Posted Image

grimmliberty
  • Minecraft: grimmliberty

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:53 AM

Ok, so I have the latest version of Forestry running with Biome O Plenty, and have NO beehives spawning?

Not even in the 'Vanilla' Biomes... With and Without 'enhanced vanilla biomes' via BoP config... Any ideas why?

[EDIT]

Ok, I am stumped.
Latest Forge MC, Forestry, I get beehives.

Add Biomes O Plenty, I get beehives in the proper biomes,
Add Mob Spawn Control, no beehives,

Pull EITHER MSC OR BoP, I get beehives.... ??!??!!?

Pull BOTH MSC AND BoP,
Add MSC back, get beehives....
Add BoP, no beehives...

so the order doesn't seem to matter...

[/EDIT]

ToddyHD
    ToddyHD

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • Minecraft: GLann4

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:04 AM

looks really nice, but you should add more images, to captivate our attention

Posted Image

mkcompy
    mkcompy

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

Hmm... Bug?

The biogas engine used to run happily on milk forever and ever and ever once it was heated up.
Either that changed or there's a problem, because my engine just chugged 1/4th a bucket of milk and a whole bucket of lava then went into its unheated state.

Using the Mindcrack 8.0.1 pack, if that helps you figure anything out.

View Postdwong, on 13 February 2013 - 01:54 AM, said:

For some reason apatite and saltpepper is not generating in the overworld, but in mystcraft ages.
Saltpeter is Railcraft, and seems to only spawn in deserts, but you may want to ask CovertJaguar. You'll want to search higher up for Apatite. New spawn code puts it up high and in massive quantities once you do find some.

kunglaopt

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

Hello. Just want some input on this. Version 2.0.0.3 (specifficaly Alvearies and apiaries now accept the full stack of drones when piping into them) made my automated princess cloning machine obsolete, since I relied on the drones being distributed among four apiaries (including the source). Any suggestions on how I can accomplish this without dramatically increasing the complexity of the design ? Cheers.

Too-DAMN-Much

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

View Postkunglaopt, on 13 February 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

-snip-

you might want to look for buildcraft addon pipes to do that, i know there used to be a pipe meant to evenly distribute but i've no clue what it's called in recent versions, also not sure but maybe the emerald pipe covertjaguar added to buildcraft would help.

Nisheeth
    Nisheeth

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1145 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

I noticed that the edenic bee has the Explorer ability. What does that do?

WTFFFS
    WTFFFS

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

View Postmkcompy, on 13 February 2013 - 10:25 AM, said:

Hmm... Bug?

The biogas engine used to run happily on milk forever and ever and ever once it was heated up.
Either that changed or there's a problem, because my engine just chugged 1/4th a bucket of milk and a whole bucket of lava then went into its unheated state.

Using the Mindcrack 8.0.1 pack, if that helps you figure anything out.

Saltpeter is Railcraft, and seems to only spawn in deserts, but you may want to ask CovertJaguar. You'll want to search higher up for Apatite. New spawn code puts it up high and in massive quantities once you do find some.
Biogas Engines now use lava to maintain heat when running on milk or water, changed in 2.0.0.X sometime.

caramba2654
  • Minecraft: arshia111

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

Hello. Just want some input on this. Version 2.0.0.3 (specifficaly Alvearies and apiaries now accept the full stack of drones when piping into them) made my automated princess cloning machine obsolete, since I relied on the drones being distributed among four apiaries (including the source). Any suggestions on how I can accomplish this without dramatically increasing the complexity of the design ? Cheers.

I usually treat a stack of drones as a single drone.

View PostWTFFFS, on 13 February 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

Biogas Engines now use lava to maintain heat when running on milk or water, changed in 2.0.0.X sometime.

Exactly. This was made to make peat relevant.
Playing MInecraft since February 22, 2011

Sheltered

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

The solution that require least effort is to let it be. When the Apiary have a stack of drones, the drones will start to "escape" the system just as fast as they did before the update.

Other than that I don't know of any really simple solution. The Apiary can tell you a lot about it's state if you are using BuildCraft gates. Things like "Missing Queen/Princess", "Missing drone". You can use these tests to design a system around your Apiary to make sure that it gets one and only one drone and that the rest of them is made available elsewhere.

fargoniac

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

If this supported Biomes'O Plenty it would be awesome. It works, but I want to breed Sequoias with Giant Flowers.

Apophenia
  • Minecraft: Apophenia

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

View PostNisheeth, on 13 February 2013 - 01:21 PM, said:

I noticed that the edenic bee has the Explorer ability. What does that do?

It gives you XP while you are standing next to it. They are currently my preferred way of gaining XP, a lot more interesting then my mob trap.
This is a false positive.

Erazil
    Erazil

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • Minecraft: Erazil

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:00 AM

hello, here are some suggestions that I came to using the mod forestry.

1) add a redstone control to forestry machines with a dynamic skin of the machine to see the state of the redstone signal (yes I know for the redstone energy cell of TE but it's very expensive to be able to have a button for possibility on / off when playing in Survial without cheat: p)

2) add a dynamic skin to the apiary to see if there is a honeycomb inside (see the small yellow dot of actual skin  only if there is)

3) add possibility to choose the sapling in the arboretum for a better control of the location and type of tree (by clicking and move a sapling in zone 3 of the multi-farm interface (see forestry wiki)

sorry for my english is very bad, translator help me for this post , remember this post is a suggestion not a "I WILL post". I want to clarify whether the translation turn lends to confusion.

thanks to read me ( and sorry for your eyes Posted Image )
if you like or agree with a post do not forget to push the Posted Image