• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Forestry for Minecraft, Trees, Bees and more!

• Please log in to reply
8631 replies to this topic

Portalboat

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:26 AM

I SUPPOSE it's not, but it's not that difficult to install the mods yourself with the magic launcher. And, bonus, you get to PICK the mods you want to install!

Register or log in to remove.

redrew89
    redrew89

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:28 AM

However because he stopped to the level of flowerchild and installed obviously malicious code

Wait... I don't recall a single instance of malicious code being present in Better Than Wolves mod. The only thing that might come close would be the instances where installing Forge and BTW in the same jar results in crashes, but that is not the result of "malicious code", as you put it. That's just incompatibility by choice. If anything, SirSengir took it a step further, which I applaud, by the way. Respect earned.

Case-in-point, the fact that everyone is getting so upset over something so trivial is what really rustles my jimmies. Consider the Big Picture ™ for a whole twenty seconds and you might realize that your little video-game mod pissing-contest is really insignificant by comparison.

kzxo500
    kzxo500

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:29 AM

View Posthahalolimbored, on 08 April 2012 - 11:33 PM, said:

Mods loaded: 11
ModLoader 1.2.4
mod_ModLoaderMp 1.2.4v1
mod_MinecraftForge 2.0.0.66
mod_ReiMinimap v3.0_04 [1.2.4]
mod_ObsidianTools Minecraft 1.2 and above tutorial mod
mod_RecipeBook 1.2.5
mod_EE 1.4.1.5
mod_Forestry 1.4.2.0
mod_IC2 v1.90
mod_InvTweaks 1.41b (1.2.4)
mod_PortalGun 1.2.4v1

Minecraft has crashed!   
  ----------------------   

Minecraft has stopped running because it encountered a problem.

--- BEGIN ERROR REPORT 34d33b67 --------
Generated 4/8/12 6:15 PM

Minecraft: Minecraft 1.2.4
Java: 1.6.0_31, Sun Microsystems Inc.
VM: Java HotSpotâ„¢ Client VM (mixed mode), Sun Microsystems Inc.
LWJGL: 2.4.2
OpenGL: GeForce 6150 LE/integrated/SSE2/3DNOW! version 2.1.2, NVIDIA Corporation

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Slot 204 is already occupied by forestry.energy.BlockEngine@d2b64e when adding Portal_BlockPortal@1bef1ac
at pb.<init>(Block.java:249)
at pb.<init>(Block.java:281)
at agy.<init>(BlockContainer.java:13)
at Portal_BlockPortal.<init>(Portal_BlockPortal.java:16)
at mod_PortalGun.initModPart(mod_PortalGun.java:329)
at mod_PortalGun.initModParts(mod_PortalGun.java:300)
at mod_PortalGun.load(mod_PortalGun.java:155)
at ModLoader.init(ModLoader.java:891)
at ModLoader.addAllRenderers(ModLoader.java:189)
at ahu.<init>(ahu.java:79)
at ahu.<clinit>(ahu.java:9)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(Minecraft.java:395)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:732)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
--- END ERROR REPORT 64f43228 ----------

i have ee2 ic2 recipie book and obsidian tools, im on 1.2.4, i got this from the stie unless i issread the section said it was a 1.2.4 thing....help? oh and portal gun, i read something about portal gun and a forestry thing could there be identical id's? if so is there a number i can change it to? and how? thx.

EDIT: figured it out. portal and forestry were sharing id's

FOR PEOPLE HAVING THE SAME PROB: i changed the 3 portal id's to 255, 254, and 253
where do u change portals id's
EDIT : dont worry found it

madman2429

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:44 AM

View Postredrew89, on 11 April 2012 - 02:28 AM, said:

Wait... I don't recall a single instance of malicious code being present in Better Than Wolves mod. The only thing that might come close would be the instances where installing Forge and BTW in the same jar results in crashes, but that is not the result of "malicious code", as you put it. That's just incompatibility by choice. If anything, SirSengir took it a step further, which I applaud, by the way. Respect earned.

Case-in-point, the fact that everyone is getting so upset over something so trivial is what really rustles my jimmies. Consider the Big Picture â„¢ for a whole twenty seconds and you might realize that your little video-game mod pissing-contest is really insignificant by comparison.

True that there was no 'direct' malicious code, however making it  so that it crashed with forge, which was a compatibility API is pretty much equal to chosen incompatibility, not to mention flowrchild is recorded as saying that it upset him that other mods distracted from his when installed together.

Malicious code, which I define as code intented to alienate or directly attack/impede a given community or person(s) is terrible practise. I would like to add that also in both cases these were attacks (yes, both instances follow the oxford definition for the word attack) were on compatibility/ease of use utilities, so essentiall Sir Sengir and flowerchild are saying that they want nothing to do with the respective communities. (Sengir's case it's technic community, flowerchild it's the forge community.)

I would also note that in recent better than wolves version he might have made things forge-compatible again. I don't keep up with it as the incompatibilities forced me to choose redpower, buildcraft, and IC2 over BTW.

View PostSamDem, on 11 April 2012 - 02:24 AM, said:

• It is his mod. If he wrote a mod that turned the entire world into lava, is it his fault if you decide to install it?

• If I write a song with explicit lyrics, is it my fault if you listen to it?

It's his art. He should have every right to make it into whatever he wants. It's the ambiguity of Technic that makes it so the Technic players don't know quite what they're getting, and it's that ambiguity Sengir is standing against. He deserves credit and artistic freedom.

what ambiguity exactly are you talking about? The big list of mods included? The fact that you can click 'mod options' inside the launcher at any time and get a list of mods directly from modloader? I am having trouble seeing where ambiguity in technic occurs, atleast compared to the fluttercluck that is getting that number of mods to work together smoothly.
Posted Image

redrew89
    redrew89

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:09 AM

To avoid detracting from normal mod discussion, my final rebuttal is in the spoiler. I have nothing further to add on this matter.

Spoiler:

EDIT:

@gigafunk While some of your statements are the embodiment of non sequitur, I can agree that this argument is done to death.

"Harry Potter is all about confronting fears, finding inner strength, and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend." -Stephen King

tuck
    tuck

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:20 AM

Talk about picking the wrong dev to have a dispute with. Very smooth move Technic Pack, next time try treating modders with respect.

I think the Technic team was just a group of friends doing stuff for themselves and one said, "lets post this" and it exploded out of their control.

This is pretty accurate. The original crew is by and large good people. But there are so many involved now. Like everything else it's turned to ALL GBS ALL THE TIME.
I spent most of my dough on booze, boats and broads. The rest of it, I wasted.
-E. Leonard

cloudeh
    cloudeh

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:36 AM

I just thought I'd throw my oar in. Regardless of your views of Technic, it is perfectly within the modder's rights to stop it working for technic clients. I think it's a ballsy move, and won't win him many Technic fans, but it's more a statement.

Kudos!

AtmaStorm

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:01 AM

LordSengir,

Have you ever considered changing the mechanics of the peat bog?  IMHO, it seems to be a wee bit over powered at the moment.
The basic ingredients for it are everywhere, so there it barely any overhead.  I build one bog and never need another- often times I'll end up turning it off for extended periods.

IRL, peat is partially dead plant matter which has formed in an acidic environment.
Perhaps as a secondary resource, the peat bog could use organic matter as the 'seed', much like how the arboretum requires both humus and saplings.  This organic matter could be anything you have an excess of that's organic (saplings, wheat, seeds etc.) to produce peat.

I'm just throwing out ideas here. And getting us away from the flame war.
Posted Image

harley9699

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:10 AM

View PostAtmaStorm, on 11 April 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:

LordSengir,

Have you ever considered changing the mechanics of the peat bog?  IMHO, it seems to be a wee bit over powered at the moment.
The basic ingredients for it are everywhere, so there it barely any overhead.  I build one bog and never need another- often times I'll end up turning it off for extended periods.

IRL, peat is partially dead plant matter which has formed in an acidic environment.
Perhaps as a secondary resource, the peat bog could use organic matter as the 'seed', much like how the arboretum requires both humus and saplings.  This organic matter could be anything you have an excess of that's organic (saplings, wheat, seeds etc.) to produce peat.

I'm just throwing out ideas here. And getting us away from the flame war.

I don't know man. Really depends on how many engines you have running. I never have enough peat. Used to be able to stack the bogs three high, and use one turbary for all three. But, think I read (or tried it) now that he lowered them to two high (like 6 blocks high? instead of 10? something). Anyway, I'll run from 3 to 6 bogs for a typical build. Just my two cents.

Posted Image

SamDem
    SamDem

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:35 AM

View Postmadman2429, on 11 April 2012 - 02:44 AM, said:

what ambiguity exactly are you talking about? The big list of mods included? The fact that you can click 'mod options' inside the launcher at any time and get a list of mods directly from modloader? I am having trouble seeing where ambiguity in technic occurs, atleast compared to the fluttercluck that is getting that number of mods to work together smoothly.

The ambiguity that comes from installing a mod pack rather than looking at each mod to see what it does and who did the work of putting it together.
Posted Image

AlasdairC

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:37 AM

Well, I'll miss this mod. Only reason I discovered it was because it was in tekkit. I've spent the last week using the automatic farmers and such to set up an automated agricultural district to pump goods to my industrialcraft/buildcraft/redpower factories. Fun stuff! Tekkit is the only way I'll be able to use this though - I am not going to spend my time walking each user (some of which are tech illiterate) through installing several client side mods while at the same time making them all play nice. It's a shame to see it go!

mysteriono

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:11 AM

Do you plan on adding support to the plants in thaumcraft 2 or maybe the rubber trees in redpower 2?

triffeh
    triffeh

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

View PostAlasdairC, on 11 April 2012 - 05:37 AM, said:

Well, I'll miss this mod. Only reason I discovered it was because it was in tekkit. I've spent the last week using the automatic farmers and such to set up an automated agricultural district to pump goods to my industrialcraft/buildcraft/redpower factories. Fun stuff! Tekkit is the only way I'll be able to use this though - I am not going to spend my time walking each user (some of which are tech illiterate) through installing several client side mods while at the same time making them all play nice. It's a shame to see it go!

This.

I like Forestry, but I honestly don't have the time or inclination to make it work with the must-haves in Tekkit for myself and my users.  I can't say I really get the mentality behind the changes, and hope that Mojang implements a modding API and mod manager that streamlines the process.  For users like me and many who have been introduced to great mods like Forestry, RedPower, and others through Technic Pack, the convenience and standardization allowed by things like the Technic Launcher eliminate a step that is inconvenient for us computer literate people and downright esoteric to those who aren't.  I'll continue to use the Technic Pack, and I hope that you and the Technic folks can come to some kind of understanding that'll allow me to use Forestry on my Tekkit server again.  I have the know-how and inclination to manually install Forestry alongside Technic Pack SSP in a way that won't break, I hope.  If this offends you, I'll not do it.

melis256
    melis256

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • Minecraft: melis256

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

View PostAlasdairC, on 11 April 2012 - 05:37 AM, said:

Then use MultiMC 3.0 when it releases. There's been spoken about a feature to automatically setup the configs.
Give your peers all the needed instructions and pray they have some real backbone/interest.
An active download link list shouldn't be out of the order, an html page or a batch file, if you're the wizz then work your magic. I sure have to for my friends...
Posted Image

nmagod
    nmagod

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:30 AM

What's this I hear about Easter-Only bees?

SirSengir
    SirSengir

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1449 posts
  • Minecraft: sirsengir

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

View Postharley9699, on 11 April 2012 - 02:01 AM, said:

and back to Forestry for a second: Almost forgot: Recently went back to mc 1.2.3 to experiment with Middle Ages mod (yes, on top of all of the others---can you say one ID block left? Posted Image  ) So, I'm using the 1.4.0.4 that I had always run with that. However, every now and then, there are eggs in the aftermath of running a centrifuge. Yes....eggs. Ideas? Maybe I shouldn't have the one id free? Ever heard of this before? Thanks.

When running a centrifuge? Well, this week you might have a few eggs now and then in your apiary, but not in your centrifuge. (Well, except you you have something automatic set up.)
Posted Image

SirSengir
    SirSengir

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1449 posts
  • Minecraft: sirsengir

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

View PostAtmaStorm, on 11 April 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:

Well, the very first crafting recipes had the bog earth made from dirt, water and flowers. However at that time flowers were a very finite resource, so I had to change that.

Looking at the ability of bees to multiply flowers, that might be an idea worth revisiting though.
Posted Image

thekillman
    thekillman

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

hey SirSengir.

congratulations for installing such an awesome defence against the evil of Technic.

best regards from a BTW user.

krissto
    krissto

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Minecraft: Krissto

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

Forestry for Minecraft 1.4.2? SirSengir, You are truly from the future!

Posted Image

laijka
    laijka

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2970 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

View Postkrissto, on 11 April 2012 - 10:11 AM, said:

Forestry for Minecraft 1.4.2? SirSengir, You are truly from the future!

It's the mod version.
"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."