• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Forestry for Minecraft, Trees, Bees and more!

• Please log in to reply
8631 replies to this topic

Cisco78
    Cisco78

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:06 PM

Sir, silly question, but could you point me in the direction of the appropriate config file that needs to be edited when upgrading from a previous Forestry version?  I'm a bit new to editing configs.  Thanks!  Some recipes aren't showing up and I'm pretty sure this is reason, I didn't read everything haha, my fault ;).

Register or log in to remove.

buizerd
    buizerd

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:08 PM

a question;

the effect of a working peat engine, is that something custom? Or a standard effect? If it's custom, a running apiary could be indicated by little bee like swarms around it?

Posted Image

exer42
    exer42

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:09 PM

Hi, I have problem with double or triple different ores of a same type (ie. Old copper ore,copper ore x2), they wont merge after smelting, i dont know if its problem with forestry or not. mods i have are: IC2 1.64 + BC 3.1.3 +  forestry client 1.3.0.3  + Redstone power 2.0. Can anyone help?

buizerd
    buizerd

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:16 PM

View Postexer42, on 31 January 2012 - 11:09 PM, said:

Hi, I have problem with double or triple different ores of a same type (ie. Old copper ore,copper ore x2), they wont merge after smelting, i dont know if its problem with forestry or not. mods i have are: IC2 1.64 + BC 3.1.3 +  forestry client 1.3.0.3  + Redstone power 2.0. Can anyone help?

can you explain it a bit more? what do you mean with merging after smelting?

Posted Image

Cisco78
    Cisco78

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:21 PM

View Postexer42, on 31 January 2012 - 11:09 PM, said:

I'm getting the same issue actually.  It seems both Forestry and IC2 generated their Ores.  When mining them, you can't combine the "basic" ore blocks together.  Even after smelting they can't be combined.  They do however make items fine and can make Bronze fine.  Bronze made by either mods ore can be combined.  This may be due to not properly modifying the Config, but I'm total noob at this and am not sure what file to edit.  I did find the Forestry config (I think lol), but all is says in it is "checksum".

In addition Too Many Items keeps crashing the game when I scroll to page 3, which happens to have most if not all the Forestry items.  Really confused...sorry :(.

exer42
    exer42

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:21 PM

I mean even after smelting into ingots they wont stack, also they have 3 different ingot icons.

Posted Image

Calcifire3691

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:29 PM

View Postexer42, on 31 January 2012 - 11:21 PM, said:

I mean even after smelting into ingots they wont stack, also they ave 3 different ingot icons, so its basically like 3 completely different ores

Posted Image
the ores smelt into different ingots, but if you have IC2 (which you obviously do), both the ores and ingots macerate into IC2 dusts, also, thanks to the ore dictionary, making a block of any type of ingot will result in an IC2 block, which can be separated into 9 IC2 ingots.

SirSengir, apparently EE now allows other mods to add their own EMC values, would you consider giving things like Apatite, Copper, and Tin EMC values? (as well as a few other blocks maybe?)
(it would at least allow us to use them in survival maps, and let them be condensed and duplicated by alchemic items, as well as being mined by the dark/red matter picks)

exer42
    exer42

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:32 PM

View PostCalcifire3691, on 31 January 2012 - 11:29 PM, said:

the ores smelt into different ingots, but if you have IC2 (which you obviously do), both the ores and ingots macerate into IC2 dusts, also, thanks to the ore dictionary, making a block of any type of ingot will result in an IC2 block, which can be separated into 9 IC2 ingots.

Thanks for info

SirSengir
    SirSengir

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1449 posts
  • Minecraft: sirsengir

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:39 PM

View Postbuizerd, on 31 January 2012 - 11:08 PM, said:

the effect of a working peat engine, is that something custom? Or a standard effect? If it's custom, a running apiary could be indicated by little bee like swarms around it?

It's custom insofar as I changed its color and fiddled a bit with the positioning. Yes, I tried for some time during development to implement something beeswarm-like on the apiaries and failed miserably. So: Not right now, sorry.

View PostCalcifire3691, on 31 January 2012 - 11:29 PM, said:

SirSengir, apparently EE now allows other mods to add their own EMC values, would you consider giving things like Apatite, Copper, and Tin EMC values? (as well as a few other blocks maybe?)
(it would at least allow us to use them in survival maps, and let them be condensed and duplicated by alchemic items, as well as being mined by the dark/red matter picks)

AFAIK EE has its own plugins for certain mods. I don't know whether there is an API for that kind of stuff available or if there is perhaps a simple text file to add values.

I don't plan on adding any EE-support myself, since I don't use EE at all. (As in: I never even installed it.) Though if someone else wants to add EMC values for Forestry items, he is more than welcome to do so.
Posted Image

buizerd
    buizerd

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:42 PM

View Postexer42, on 31 January 2012 - 11:21 PM, said:

I mean even after smelting into ingots they wont stack, also they have 3 different ingot icons.

Posted Image
that is normal. i'm no programmer, but what comes next is a bit of an educated guess.
Each f those 3 mods has an ore type with a specific ID number. that's necessary otherwise you generate a conflict and minecraft stops.

However, behind each block id are iirc 4 extra parameter flags available. that way for instance you can have a durability on a pickaxe.

so what appears to be 3 seperate ores that get smelted, does not get turned into a new item. Mearly one of the flags behind that ID number gets modified so it now represents an igot of that item. It's a way to reduce the number of ID's you need.

Let say forestry copper has id 184 and redpower 241.

smelt each block of ore and in your inventory you will still see one item with ID 184 and one with id 241.

However, a flag is different.

Before it could say something like "id=184;1" and "id=241;1" in your inventory.
After smelting this is could be changed into "id=184;2" and "id=241;2"

In essence it did not change ID. So you end up with 3 different stacks.

It's necessary that those ingots keep their Id number, otherwise that mod can work. It's coded to check for items with a certain Id to preform actions.

apparently there is also an ingot ID number, so the above is invalid.

note that all items in the 0-255 range are 3D objects, like the dropped ore block and a furnace. ingots are just flat icons.

I know of 1 way to circumvent that and that is by first macerating it and then smelting it into bars.
This is because IC2 has an item and ID number for dust separately. look into the config file.
though the ore dictionary it manages to translate similar types of ore into the only item it can get from a macerator, namely dust. so it manages to macerate each type of copper into copper dust. a feature that mod uses. It then uses his own ID list to label a new ingot.

A workaround to have all 3 mods to smelt their ore into 1 general type would be hard, because each mod must that incorporate that code. they should be made aware of each other
It would actually mean you need to merge those 3 mods.

Edited by buizerd, 01 February 2012 - 12:00 AM.

Posted Image

buizerd
    buizerd

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:25 AM

if a texture pack does not have a texture for an item, shouldn't it revert to his standard? i have the newest version and i see the recipes for the backpacks in my book, but i do not see an icon, making the bags invisible. or will the mod try to find one in his texture pack?

Posted Image

Slain087
    Slain087

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Minecraft: Slain087

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:39 AM

View Postbuizerd, on 01 February 2012 - 12:25 AM, said:

if a texture pack does not have a texture for an item, shouldn't it revert to his standard? i have the newest version and i see the recipes for the backpacks in my book, but i do not see an icon, making the bags invisible. or will the mod try to find one in his texture pack?
I haven't looked at the new sprite sheets for the current version, but if the texture pack has a sheet for wherever the backpacks are, it will use whatever's there - even if it's just transparent space. This is also the reason why, for example, Zeldo's Teleport Pipes sometimes are textured pink - it's found a sheet that should work, but there's nothing there but pink.

HeadHunter67

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:34 AM

View Posttoyi85, on 31 January 2012 - 11:00 PM, said:

The question marks in each species are the other bee kins you need to crossbreed with them to obtain a mutation (aka a new bee type) instead of an hybrid. The new color codes will tell you how hard is to get those mutations.
Thank you both for clarifying.  I guess that still downs't make it any easier for me to use - the bees on the left only show up when you mouse over an actual bee in storage on the right - so if I move over to the left to see what those bees are, I lose the tooltip.

I'm not finding it a helpful indicator of crossbreeds - it doesn't seem to remember what breeds I've already successfully crossed to make what I have, all the left side shows is the main type of bee used, and the second type of bee.  Everything else is a question mark of a various color.  So now I know what the colors mean, but that brings me no closer to helping me discover what to breed with what.  Maybe I'm not using it properly, maybe it all makes sense after the fact when I've already accomplished what I thought the chest was meant to assist, I don't know.

So far, all I've gotten for my efforts is a couple Common hybrids, some of which wound up as regular Forest/Meadows varieties after additional breeding.  I'll keep trying.  I understand the basic science of genetics but this seems like more of a crapshoot than a Punnett Square would indicate.
Posted Image
"I'm not fair game. I'm not a soft target. It's over. There's a new sheriff in town. And he has an army of assassins."

Loren Larsa

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:06 AM

Hmmm I just checked, Forestry is now SP only? "Buildcraft 3.0" is still not SMP availible from what I see, am I correct so far?
Yeah, seems like I am going to be stuck on the old version for a while.
Ad fly eh? Always being sabotaged here, NoScript and AdBlock makes surfing safer.

Elusivehawk
  • Minecraft: Elusivehawk

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:26 AM

View PostSirSengir, on 31 January 2012 - 11:39 PM, said:

AFAIK EE has its own plugins for certain mods. I don't know whether there is an API for that kind of stuff available or if there is perhaps a simple text file to add values.

I don't plan on adding any EE-support myself, since I don't use EE at all. (As in: I never even installed it.) Though if someone else wants to add EMC values for Forestry items, he is more than welcome to do so.

I could add EMC values to blocks and items. (Although bees are gonna be tricky.)

View PostHeadHunter67, on 01 February 2012 - 03:34 AM, said:

Thank you both for clarifying.  I guess that still downs't make it any easier for me to use - the bees on the left only show up when you mouse over an actual bee in storage on the right - so if I move over to the left to see what those bees are, I lose the tooltip.

I'm not finding it a helpful indicator of crossbreeds - it doesn't seem to remember what breeds I've already successfully crossed to make what I have, all the left side shows is the main type of bee used, and the second type of bee.  Everything else is a question mark of a various color.  So now I know what the colors mean, but that brings me no closer to helping me discover what to breed with what.  Maybe I'm not using it properly, maybe it all makes sense after the fact when I've already accomplished what I thought the chest was meant to assist, I don't know.

So far, all I've gotten for my efforts is a couple Common hybrids, some of which wound up as regular Forest/Meadows varieties after additional breeding.  I'll keep trying.  I understand the basic science of genetics but this seems like more of a crapshoot than a Punnett Square would indicate.

That's all I could get last time I tried bee breeding, and then I took Equivalent Exchange version 6.0 to the /mods folder and decided to start over.

Spoiler as to why I decided to start over:

Spoiler:

And now that that's out of the way, SirSengir, are you sure you don't have much planned for the future of this mod?

toyi85
    toyi85

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • Minecraft: toyi85

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:32 AM

View PostHeadHunter67, on 01 February 2012 - 03:34 AM, said:

I understand the basic science of genetics but this seems like more of a crapshoot than a Punnett Square would indicate.

One thing that everybody shoud consider: the mutation and hybridation here are not based on Mendelian Genetics, you won't have a fillial 1 generation of a dominant genotype and a f2 of 3:1. Since both Forest and Meadows are dominant types, you have like 30something% of getting Forest-Meadows, 30something% of Meadows-Forest and 20% (I think its 25% or so) of getting a Common one. SirSengir showed me that there are a few combinations that can be achieved by different paths and some are harder than others (one with like 10% chance, the other with only 2%)

So when you roll your mouse over a Forest bee, you will see the both types are Forest (same info above and below) and that you can attain 3 new species by crossing Forest with something more, and at least one is relative easy to get *cof*common*cof and one is insanely hard to obtain, the red one. But yes, once you get that insane mutation done, you'll be shown the other bee that made it possible (but not what the final result of the crossbreeding is).

So yes, the icons are indeed very vague at first, I had to get to noble branch to start figuring them out. The saddest part is, now that I upgraded to the next release version, my breeding data was cleared from the chest :(

Edit: if you're going to start seriously with the bee breeding, I suggest you to have at least 8 apiaries running. I started with 2 and didn't pass beyond common until I I made 8. Now I'm running 12 and got every breedable kin in almost a week. Krapht has 20 apiaries or so!
Posted Image

Tymewizard
  • Minecraft: Tymewizard

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:53 AM

Hey every time i play on my server and try to open the arboretum it crashes.Only on my server really annoying.Only my client crahses not the server and my guis match up and everything.My error says something about Index 44 SIze 44. PLease help
Posted Image

harley9699

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:24 AM

View PostSlain087, on 01 February 2012 - 01:39 AM, said:

I haven't looked at the new sprite sheets for the current version, but if the texture pack has a sheet for wherever the backpacks are, it will use whatever's there - even if it's just transparent space. This is also the reason why, for example, Zeldo's Teleport Pipes sometimes are textured pink - it's found a sheet that should work, but there's nothing there but pink.

Yeah, I've got some funky pinks too (don't run Zeldo's though). The apiarist pipes in this one (again) and Krapht's pipes (again). Still fighting that.

I started with 3 Apiaries. Am up to some Imperial and Majestic stuff/hybrids. Pretty cool.

Backpacks just absolutely rock. :)

Posted Image

pwnedgod
    pwnedgod

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1843 posts
  • Minecraft: pwnedgod

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:26 AM

View PostKal Choedan, on 31 January 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

That's a question for the Forge thread, not here.

I was meaning like "Why is it broken for Forestry"
Too addicted with Counter-Strike: Source for some reason...
Posted Image

Tymewizard
  • Minecraft: Tymewizard

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:36 AM

I get this error when i try to open the arboretum on SMP. my client crahses not the server please help. i really would like a fix
java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 44, Size: 44
at java.util.ArrayList.rangeCheck(Unknown Source)
at java.util.ArrayList.get(Unknown Source)
at cx.b(SourceFile:80)
at cx.a(SourceFile:233)
at abm.a(NetClientHandler.java:854)
at zn.a(SourceFile:42)
at kp.b(SourceFile:271)
at abm.b(NetClientHandler.java:42)
at iq.c(SourceFile:57)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.k(SourceFile:1598)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.x(SourceFile:709)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(SourceFile:662)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
--- END ERROR REPORT 5332edb2 ----------
Posted Image