• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Forestry for Minecraft, Trees, Bees and more!

• Please log in to reply
8631 replies to this topic

Ineedabettername

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:10 PM

Oh, milk. That's rather ingenious, and also a very good idea for making those engines get started for the melange production

By the way, if I remember correctly Minefactory adds milk as a pipe-able liquid. Would the engines accept that input?

Register or log in to remove.

SirSengir
    SirSengir

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1449 posts
  • Minecraft: sirsengir

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:57 PM

Okay, last one for today. Only because the changelog might interest some people and it is the last feature I'll add for 1.1.0 (will skip 1.0.8, the new additions sind 1.0.6 should justify it.)

That leaves the rest of the week for bugfixing and balancing. Might even get to play the mod a bit. :)

1.0.7.7: http://bit.ly/rS18Fh

Known issues:
Liquid piped into engines seems to overwrite the liquid already in there.
IC2 1.23 does not broadcast its bronze ingot via the ore dictionary. That means you will have to create bronze using IC2 copper and tin ingots using the recipe from the OP. Copper and tin are however correctly broadcasted and recognized. Forestry will then supress its own ore generation. (Needs at least IC2 1.22 to work correctly.)

EDIT: Fermenter render model seems to be upside down.

CHANGELOG

- Added: Now uses the ore dictionary.

View PostIneedabettername, on 26 October 2011 - 07:10 PM, said:

Oh, milk. That's rather ingenious, and also a very good idea for making those engines get started for the melange production

By the way, if I remember correctly Minefactory adds milk as a pipe-able liquid. Would the engines accept that input?

No. The reason is simply that I do not know what itemID the milk in buildcraft pipes has. Minecraft itself only knows bucketMilk. I am considering it, but it will not be as trivial as it seems.

EDIT: The need for buckets would also balance out the long burn time of milk. I want it to be the fuel for any scenario where you need a longer burn time, but the installation is temporary / unimportant enough, that you won't be building a large or intricate pipe system.
Posted Image

SirSengir
    SirSengir

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1449 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:07 PM

View PostStylez84, on 26 October 2011 - 07:10 PM, said:

Do all fuels burn equally? How does this model compare to the model used by BC iron engines (for comparison sake)?

No. Like in BuildCraft the cycles for each bucket of liquid vary wildly between the different fuels.

Water is good for 1000 cycles at 1 energy unit
Milk is good for 40.000 cycles at 2 energy units
Biomass is good for 15.000 cycles at 5 energy units

So the fuels differ in the way how long a bucket lasts and how much energy it outputs per cycle. I had looked at the BuildCraft values some time ago and think that fuel had 50.000 cycles at 5 energy units.

Seems like a very good balance tweak. I think it may have been overpowered before as it basically completely removed the need for oil. So basically a fermenter will produce 1/3 the biomass that it did per "cycle" before but the resulting biomass will burn much longer (how much longer?).

It's probably still way overpowered. I'll have to either tune down the number of burn cycles or the output of a single sapling or increase the fermenters cycle time. Let's just say its possible I just might have multiplied the energy value of a single bucket of biomass by a factor of about ... 15. So just shaving off 2/3 might not quite cut it. We'll see.

As for the still, the resulting output of fuel per hour should be a little higher at the cost of a much higher input of biofuel to maintain that output.

That's the idea, increase the amount of biomass needed per unit of biofuel. After all the energy value of a bucket of biofuel is almost the same as regular fuel. But biomass is generated in way larger amounts than fuel.
Posted Image

Stylez84

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:35 PM

Initial testing of 1.0.7.6 seems to be going good so far. It loaded my previous world from 1.0.6 without issue and everything was in place.

I did notice a couple things though. Biomass no longer has a texture - it's just a solid green liquid. Also, the forester isn't accepting power via BC conductive pipes anymore. I also tried placing a steam/stone engine beside it and it won't run - the engine just sparkles (red particles that it has power) but never starts "pumping". The engine does automatically point toward the forester like it should though.

I'm holding off on trying 1.0.7.7 as the liquid piped into engines seems like a bit of a show stopper.

Thanks for answering my questions too!

IC2 1.23 does not broadcast its bronze ingot via the ore dictionary. That means you will have to create bronze using IC2 copper and tin ingots using the recipe from the OP. Copper and tin are however correctly broadcasted and recognized. Forestry will then supress its own ore generation. (Needs at least IC2 1.22 to work correctly.)

Is it possible to use a hybrid system? Using the ore dictionary for the ores and using your previous method for bronze? At least until IC2 is hopefully updated to broadcast bronze.
Posted Image

SirSengir
    SirSengir

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1449 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:14 PM

View PostStylez84, on 26 October 2011 - 09:35 PM, said:

Initial testing of 1.0.7.6 seems to be going good so far. It loaded my previous world from 1.0.6 without issue and everything was in place.

Progress! :)

I did notice a couple things though. Biomass no longer has a texture - it's just a solid green liquid.

That's a result of the block -> item conversion. I haven't had the time to look into possible solutions. Biofuel has the same issue.

Also, the forester isn't accepting power via BC conductive pipes anymore. I also tried placing a steam/stone engine beside it and it won't run - the engine just sparkles (red particles that it has power) but never starts "pumping". The engine does automatically point toward the forester like it should though.

Had the forester been placed before the upgrade? If yes, in what version? I have noticed several times in test games, that sometimes machines seem to lose the ability to accept power. I can't reliably reproduce the error however. My current theory is, that the power provider (the ingame object every machine has that handles energy transfers) gets somehow "lost". Replacing the machine (which recreates the power provider) usually fixes that problem.

I'm holding off on trying 1.0.7.7 as the liquid piped into engines seems like a bit of a show stopper.

Perhaps wrongly worded: It's only an issue when changing fuels. Pumping biomass into an engine currently running on milk replaces the milk wit bio mass. (Instead of keeping the biomass waiting in pipes until the milk tank is emptied.)

Is it possible to use a hybrid system? Using the ore dictionary for the ores and using your previous method for bronze? At least until IC2 is hopefully updated to broadcast bronze.

Yes, it should be possible. However I am considering switching to brass ingots from RP2 as an alternative. Eloraam was nice enough to specifically add the broadcast to RP2pr3!
Posted Image

tiaren
    tiaren

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:33 PM

Hi
I won't even bother complimenting; this mod is self-evidently awesomesauce.

I'm not sure how it'd work, but I suggest being able to shove a http://equivalentexc...olcanite Amulet into the biogas engines to create endless lava. I appreciate how OP this would be, but I am having a hard time juggling buckets, sources of lava, and the attention required to ensure my lava levels are maintained.

One other general suggestion: does a sapling/wood dictionary make sense? I am under the impression that rubber tree saplings (IC2) and rubber wood sapplings (Eloraam) neither count as saplings for the planter, nor the latter for the plantball recipe (8x saplings). While I'm at it, would a biomass dictionary make sense, to squish flowers, seeds and whatnot into biomass fuel...

Keep it up!

Stylez84

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:49 PM

View PostSirSengir, on 26 October 2011 - 10:14 PM, said:

Had the forester been placed before the upgrade? If yes, in what version? I have noticed several times in test games, that sometimes machines seem to lose the ability to accept power. I can't reliably reproduce the error however. My current theory is, that the power provider (the ingame object every machine has that handles energy transfers) gets somehow "lost". Replacing the machine (which recreates the power provider) usually fixes that problem.
Yeah it was placed before the upgrade. I'll replace it and see what happens.

Perhaps wrongly worded: It's only an issue when changing fuels. Pumping biomass into an engine currently running on milk replaces the milk wit bio mass. (Instead of keeping the biomass waiting in pipes until the milk tank is emptied.)
Ohhh well in that case it's not such a big deal!

Yes, it should be possible. However I am considering switching to brass ingots from RP2 as an alternative. Eloraam was nice enough to specifically add the broadcast to RP2pr3!
I think this is one of those "you can't please everyone" scenarios so do what you think is best. I would tend to think that RP2 would have a much larger install-base than IC2.
Posted Image

SirSengir
    SirSengir

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1449 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:02 PM

View Posttiaren, on 26 October 2011 - 10:33 PM, said:

I'm not sure how it'd work, but I suggest being able to shove a http://equivalentexc...olcanite Amulet into the biogas engines to create endless lava. I appreciate how OP this would be, but I am having a hard time juggling buckets, sources of lava, and the attention required to ensure my lava levels are maintained.

Well, there has to be some downside to my non-volatile-but-still-massive-amounts-of-energy-from-reneweable-ressources-producing engines. ;) But yes, I know. The amount of heat one unit of lava can supply might possibly still need some adjustment. And lava is non-renewable, which also is not exactly optimal. However, the I-Win-Buttons of EE are not really the solution IMO.

One other general suggestion: does a sapling/wood dictionary make sense? I am under the impression that rubber tree saplings (IC2) and rubber wood sapplings (Eloraam) neither count as saplings for the planter, nor the latter for the plantball recipe (8x saplings). While I'm at it, would a biomass dictionary make sense, to squish flowers, seeds and whatnot into biomass fuel...

Adding valid raw materials to the fermenter is not really a problem and I will probably add more as time goes by. Blocks/items from other mods are however problematic, since I can't easily get their IDs ingame.

The dictionary idea for saplings/wood is something best to ask in the forge thread. However, I have already noticed, that IC2 happily broadcasts the wood block from rubber trees through the ore dictionary. ;)
Posted Image

noobtube2

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:12 PM

good mod but it conflicts whith another buildcraft mod(block IDs) called additinal buildcraft objects
GENERATION 22: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

athelred
    athelred

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:46 AM

Having a bit of trouble here.  I cannot seem to craft a sturdy machine.  As expected using IC2 bronze does not work, but I also cannot craft your bronze using the recipe in the OP.  Is it still disabled if you use IC2?  I tried setting ic2.ignore to true in the forestry.conf file, but this had no effect.  Not sure what I am doing wrong.

I am also getting a crash when using the recipe book mod (I expect it will show up elsewhere as well, but here is easy to see).  The crash report is as follows:

Spoiler:

The error occurs when I got a page containing Forestry blocks.  I should mention that this error did not occur in 1.0.7, so something that changed in between then and now causes the problem.

Stylez84

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:29 AM

I'm having a bit of an issue with 1.0.7.7. If I load my world in 1076 everything is fine. If I update to 1077 then the area around my farm seems to get regenerated. It's hard to explain...

The area that gets regenerated is offset from the center of my farm so it seems like it could be caused by either the logger or the forester. Basically all of my items are removed except for a 2-wide row of humus directly over top of my biogas engines and the hole that used to be my factory under my farm is reverted to just dirt and stone.

Nevermind, it just happened to me on 1.0.7.6 after closing and re-opening Minecraft.

Before: http://imgur.com/g9VEI
After: http://imgur.com/0C4wu

Modloader.txt from 1.0.7.7 version:
Spoiler:

EDIT: It could be any number of mods I have installed. I just updated to RedPower2 Pre Release 3b so I don't know if anything changed that could cause this.
Posted Image

Barhandar

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:55 AM

Forestry seems to cause quite a number of visual glitches on my setup, such as: liquid displaying incorrectly in pipes, engines being near invisible, and possibly more. As version installed is dev one, I thought you would like to see that. BC 2.2.4, IC 1.23, RP2 pr3, AdditionalPipes.
P.S. Also after installing Forestry my teleport pipes stopped discovering each other. This was a scrap world, so not a problem, but still.

SirSengir
    SirSengir

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1449 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:43 AM

View Postathelred, on 27 October 2011 - 01:46 AM, said:

Having a bit of trouble here.  I cannot seem to craft a sturdy machine.  As expected using IC2 bronze does not work, but I also cannot craft your bronze using the recipe in the OP.  Is it still disabled if you use IC2?  I tried setting ic2.ignore to true in the forestry.conf file, but this had no effect.  Not sure what I am doing wrong.

What version of IC2 are you using? EDIT: nvm, it's in the ModLoader.txt and I'm encountering the same problem. Best to ignore 1.0.7.7 for now.

I am also getting a crash when using the recipe book mod (I expect it will show up elsewhere as well, but here is easy to see).  The crash report is as follows:

Will have to install the recipe book later today and take a look!

View PostStylez84, on 27 October 2011 - 02:29 AM, said:

I'm having a bit of an issue with 1.0.7.7. If I load my world in 1076 everything is fine. If I update to 1077 then the area around my farm seems to get regenerated. It's hard to explain...

That's one of those very nasty delete-chunk-on-reload-bugs. One of the machines in that chunck throws a fatal exception on reload. Could you upload that world somewhere and PM me the link? Would make life quite a bit easier for more me, since I could then run it in my development environment and catch the actual exception that Minecraft supresses.

View PostBarhandar, on 27 October 2011 - 03:55 AM, said:

Forestry seems to cause quite a number of visual glitches on my setup, such as: liquid displaying incorrectly in pipes, engines being near invisible, and possibly more. As version installed is dev one, I thought you would like to see that. BC 2.2.4, IC 1.23, RP2 pr3, AdditionalPipes.

P.S. Also after installing Forestry my teleport pipes stopped discovering each other. This was a scrap world, so not a problem, but still.

That's strange. Will install AdditionalPipes and look into it. However I am not certain that this can be caused by Forestry. What version are you using?
Posted Image

Barhandar

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:54 AM

View PostSirSengir, on 27 October 2011 - 04:43 AM, said:

That's strange. Will install AdditionalPipes and look into it. However I am not certain that this can be caused by Forestry. What version are you using?
Dev/1.0.7.3 and Dev/1.0.7.7, respectively. Said visual bugs are not present without Forestry.

EDIT: Player just gave me a thought. These bugs can be from combo of Forestry and Optifine, since I do have Optifine installed. Though I wonder why they appear only with Forestry, and are absent without it.

danieledward

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:07 AM

Sooooooooo, i was going to be placing rubber tree saplings from ic2 into the planter but im understanding it correctly, this doesn't work? Was hoping the cutter would net me a nice amount of resin in the process.

SirSengir
    SirSengir

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1449 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:16 AM

View PostBarhandar, on 27 October 2011 - 04:54 AM, said:

Dev/1.0.7.3 and Dev/1.0.7.7, respectively. Said visual bugs are not present without Forestry.

EDIT: Player just gave me a thought. These bugs can be from combo of Forestry and Optifine, since I do have Optifine installed. Though I wonder why they appear only with Forestry, and are absent without it.

Hmm... I _might_ have an inkling where the problem stems from... I'll see what I can do.

View Postdanieledward, on 27 October 2011 - 07:07 AM, said:

Sooooooooo, i was going to be placing rubber tree saplings from ic2 into the planter but im understanding it correctly, this doesn't work? Was hoping the cutter would net me a nice amount of resin in the process.

I'd probably have to use up another block id to enable that. (Can't do it without another blockid without editing Minecraft base files.) I might (and only might!) do it as an additional planter/harvester combo in an addon. But first: Bugfixing!

I did the easy fixing before work. Get 1.0.7.8 here: http://bit.ly/uylK3O

CHANGELOG

- Added: Config switches to force disabling generation of copper, tin or apatite ore.
- Changed: Tripled heat value per unit of lava in biogas engines. Amount required to heat up the engine greatly reduced, speed of startup increased.
- Bugfix: Default metadata value for inventory renderer.
- Bugfix: Ore dictionary now correctly recognizes IC2 copper and tin. Does not yet recognize brass ingots from RedPower since those are broadcast after the last call to Forestry's startup.
- Bugfix: Risugami's Recipe Book will not crash anymore when displaying Forestry recipes. Might not display all the correct icons however.
Posted Image

athelred
    athelred

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:52 AM

View PostSirSengir, on 27 October 2011 - 08:16 AM, said:

- Added: Config switches to force disabling generation of copper, tin or apatite ore.
- Changed: Tripled heat value per unit of lava in biogas engines. Amount required to heat up the engine greatly reduced, speed of startup increased.
- Bugfix: Default metadata value for inventory renderer.
- Bugfix: Ore dictionary now correctly recognizes IC2 copper and tin. Does not yet recognize brass ingots from RedPower since those are broadcast after the last call to Forestry's startup.
- Bugfix: Risugami's Recipe Book will not crash anymore when displaying Forestry recipes. Might not display all the correct icons however.

Okay I am not sure if this is intentional, but all of the recipes which previously required bronze now require red power alloy.  Seems off.

There also seems to be a serious memory leak some place.  If I leave one of the UIs open for a while I end up with an out of memory error (specifically tested with the arboretum).  It does not take long at all.  You can also cause an out of memory error by having Recipe Book open to a page displaying this mods recipes.  I expect it is related to the fix you put in earlier for the crash.  Something in the (probably) renderer is leaking badly.

Addendum added later:
I was incorrect about the inventory memory leak.  It is actually caused by the inventory icon for several of the blocks added.  If you have a Farm (I know this one is bad not sure about otherwise) in an inventory (yours or a chest), there is a severe memory leak while the inventory is open.  It will crash with am OOM error in less than a minute on my machine.  This gives even more evidence that it is related to the fix for inventory icons in 1.0.7.7.

The arboretum shows up in the inventory as named the still.  It works correctly and looks right (assuming it is supposed to look like the Farm) but the name shows up as "Still".

The Farm's UI says arboretum instead of Farm.

I think that is all for this set of bug reports.  I'll let you know if I run across anything else.

Stylez84

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:26 PM

View PostSirSengir, on 27 October 2011 - 04:43 AM, said:

That's one of those very nasty delete-chunk-on-reload-bugs. One of the machines in that chunck throws a fatal exception on reload. Could you upload that world somewhere and PM me the link? Would make life quite a bit easier for more me, since I could then run it in my development environment and catch the actual exception that Minecraft supresses.

I'll upload it after work and PM you the link.
Posted Image

SirSengir
    SirSengir

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1449 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:45 PM

View Postathelred, on 27 October 2011 - 10:52 AM, said:

Okay I am not sure if this is intentional, but all of the recipes which previously required bronze now require red power alloy.  Seems off.

Not intentional. However does not happen in my copy. What version of RP2 are you using?

There also seems to be a serious memory leak some place.  If I leave one of the UIs open for a while I end up with an out of memory error (specifically tested with the arboretum).  It does not take long at all.  You can also cause an out of memory error by having Recipe Book open to a page displaying this mods recipes.  I expect it is related to the fix you put in earlier for the crash.  Something in the (probably) renderer is leaking badly.

Addendum added later:
I was incorrect about the inventory memory leak.  It is actually caused by the inventory icon for several of the blocks added.  If you have a Farm (I know this one is bad not sure about otherwise) in an inventory (yours or a chest), there is a severe memory leak while the inventory is open.  It will crash with am OOM error in less than a minute on my machine.  This gives even more evidence that it is related to the fix for inventory icons in 1.0.7.7.

You are absolutely right about the memory leak. Simply defective design of how requests for custom inventory renderers were handled in the main client class. (It just created a new Renderer for every request...) I fixed it. At least the new version is running stable at 600 - 800 MB of RAM even with inventories or guis open. The recipe book still does not show all icons.

I might have also fixed the visual glitches with Optifine. Can't test that since I don't have it installed, but all textures should now be properly preloaded through Minecraft Forge.

The arboretum shows up in the inventory as named the still.  It works correctly and looks right (assuming it is supposed to look like the Farm) but the name shows up as "Still".

Have been looking for the source of this problem for some time now without luck. I don't see the system behind the various misnomers. Everything seems to be registered under the correct name in the code.

The Farm's UI says arboretum instead of Farm.

Carbon copy of the gui class file. I changed the string and just noticed it will need to be repositioned like some of the other gui titles. (Low priority obviously.)

I think that is all for this set of bug reports.  I'll let you know if I run across anything else.

Keep them coming!

Here is the new version: http://bit.ly/vU375f

CHANGELOG

- Bugfix: Textures are now correctly preloaded through Forge.
- Bugfix: Memory leak related to custom renderer for inventory blocks fixed.
EDIT:
- Bugfix: Biogas engine would refuse all valid fuels and only accept invalid ones.
Posted Image

SirSengir
    SirSengir

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1449 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:39 PM

1.0.7.10 with at least one important bugfix: http://bit.ly/s2ofss

CHANGELOG

- Change: Doubled power consumption of all machines.
- Change: Reduced power cycles for a bucket of biomass by a third.
- Change: Fermenter resources/fuels/fermentation process changed. Instead of fermentation time and value each resource now only has a fixed total fermentation value. The duration of the fermentation process is now dictated by the fuel used which is good for a certain number of cycles and ferments a specified amount of resource per cycle. Allows more variety in the behaviour of fuels. Manure burns for 2.5 times the cycles of fertilizer but produces only 40 % of fermentation per cycle (takes longer to ferment but ferments the same amount).
- Change: Fermenter now allows adding fuels and resources from any side. Sorts the items according to valid usage.
- Added: API to allow adding other fermentation resources and fuels and other bronze engine fuels from outside the mod.
- Bugfix: Fermenter only converts invalid fuels in tank to bio mass on load.
- Bugfix: Machines were not showing up in inventories.
Posted Image