• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Forestry for Minecraft, Trees, Bees and more!

• Please log in to reply
8631 replies to this topic

SirSengir
    SirSengir

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1449 posts
  • Minecraft: sirsengir

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:56 PM

POPULAR

"Forestry for Minecraft"

Posted Image

A. Introduction:

Spoiler:

Official Wiki

Official Forums

#forestry on Esper.net

Now. On to the good stuff:

Direwolf20's Mod Update on 2.0.0:

Direwolf20's Mod Update on 1.4.8:

B. Requirements:

- Minecraft Client
- Minecraft Forge

Should be compatible with any/all Minecraft Forge based mods. If you run into conflicts with another mod using Minecraft Forge, please report it here.

Minecraft Forge:
http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/

C. Download:

All download links are now located at http://forestry.seng...=main:downloads !

Please report bugs at https://bitbucket.or...new&status=open - Use this forum thread for support requests, don't post support requests on the bug list!

D. Addons

Several useful addons can be found on the wiki!

E. Texture Packs

Sphax Addon by Amon/HanFox

Posted Image

Download at: http://bdcraft.net/f...support-patches

Isabella Addon by ScottKillen

Posted Image

Download at: http://www.minecraft...ted-2011-12-21/

Faithful Texture Pack

Posted Image

Download at: http://www.minecraft...et/topic/72747-

Soartex Fanver

Posted Image

Download at http://www.minecraft...h-and-clean-23/

F. Installation:

Step 0:
Check that your Minecraft is at the correct version required. If you already have BuildCraft or IndustrialCraft 2 (along with Minecraft Forge) installed, you can skip directly to Step 4.

Step 1:
Find your minecraft.jar. On windows it will be located in %appdata%/.minecraft/bin. Backup your current minecraft.jar.

Step 2:
Delete the folder META-INF in your minecraft.jar. Not deleting it will cause the game to fail to start up, even if you installed everything else correctly.

Step 3:
Open your minecraft.jar with WinRAR or 7zip. Drag and drop the contents of the zip file for Minecraft Forge into the .jar. DO NOT INSTALL MODLOADER OR MODLOADERMP!

Step 4:
Add forestry-client-A-*.jar to your mod folder in %appdata%/.minecraft/mods. This is also where the files for BuildCraft and IndustrialCraft 2 should be located.

Step 5 (optional):
Test your installation by launching the minecraft client. Press the button "Login" in the launcher and wait for the main menu to appear. Now check the file ForgeModLoader-0.log in %appdata%/.minecraft/. You should find a line that says "Mod class forestry.mod_Forestry loaded successfully" from mod_Forestry.class" or something similar. If the file does not mention Forestry, something is amiss.

G. Recipes

Refer to the wiki at http://forestry.sengir.net/wiki/ for any questions on recipes.

See the wiki for information on more machines, auto-crafting, fuel generation and power generators.

H. Troubleshooting:

If you need help consult and use these sources first:

Official Wiki

Official Forums

I. License:

The code of "Forestry for Minecraft" in source or binary form is the intellectual property of SirSengir. You may not reproduce, redistribute or modify it. See http://forestry.seng...wnloads#license for more details.

J. Banner:

created by ruyan:
Posted Image

[url="http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/700588-100sspsmp-forestry-for-minecraft-tree-farms-automated/"][img]http://i.imgur.com/5oboV.png[/img][/url]

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Liar
    Liar

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1628 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:58 PM

Hmm looks interesting, going to check it out.

Edit: was just looking through my content and noticed that this topic hit off, good for you! Oh almost forgot, First.Ha Posted Image

Halo4life090

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:02 PM

I was gonna rack you you for registering today and being newly spawned but..
This post looks legit.
I may download.
I don't really suggest others to download though, just for their sake.

Spoiler:

SirSengir
    SirSengir

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1449 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:13 PM

View PostHalo4life090, on 09 October 2011 - 10:02 PM, said:

I was gonna rack you you for registering today and being newly spawned but..

Had no reason to register before today. ;)

I may download.

If you do, a short comment would be appreciated.
Posted Image

SirSengir
    SirSengir

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1449 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:31 PM

Fixed a few things.

CHANGELOG

- Arboretum now drops blocks that were destroyed in the area it clears. Also drops items that were contained in these blocks. For some reason this does not work on BuildCraft pipes.
- Items and blocks should have their tooltips back.
- Fixed missing texture preload for Minecraft Forge.

Initial release
Posted Image

SirSengir
    SirSengir

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1449 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:40 PM

Updated to version 1.0.0. Still needs more playtesting to find all the bugs that are probably hiding in there. Otherwise feature complete.

Not posting a changelog, as it would be way to long. This is a major overhaul of the original version with quite different mechanics.

Watch the tutorial video I put together if you are interested in the mod.
Posted Image

Stylez84

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:56 PM

Nice, I was looking for a way last night to create a tree farm for my Let's Play so I'll have to give this a try when I get home from work!
Posted Image

SirSengir
    SirSengir

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1449 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

View PostStylez84, on 19 October 2011 - 07:56 PM, said:

Nice, I was looking for a way last night to create a tree farm for my Let's Play so I'll have to give this a try when I get home from work!

If you do, please let me know if it runs smoothly for you! Thanks in advance.
Posted Image

Stylez84

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:46 PM

View PostSirSengir, on 19 October 2011 - 09:10 PM, said:

If you do, please let me know if it runs smoothly for you! Thanks in advance.

Just tested it on my test version of Minecraft and it seems to be working good with Forge, IC2, BC2, RP2, Steve's Carts, Treecapitator, Somnia, and TMI.

One thing I've noticed is that when the arboretum is placing the humus, it seems that the blocks turn grey as they fall to the ground after being placed.

What is the recommended engine for powering the machines? It's seeming that redstone engines don't quite cut it but I am seeing slow progress with the harvesting. Things seem to progress a lot faster with a steam engine.

Will the arboretum and logger accept power via conductive pipes?

Great mod so far, very promising!

EDIT:

Crashed when shift-clicking saplings into the arboretum.
Posted Image

SirSengir
    SirSengir

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1449 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:09 PM

View PostStylez84, on 19 October 2011 - 10:46 PM, said:

Just tested it on my test version of Minecraft and it seems to be working good with Forge, IC2, BC2, RP2, Steve's Carts, Treecapitator, Somnia, and TMI.

Good to hear. Had only tested it with IC2 and BC up until now.

One thing I've noticed is that when the arboretum is placing the humus, it seems that the blocks turn grey as they fall to the ground after being placed.

The code for falling is currently bugged. I had forgotten about it, since I usually place the arboretum on a plane area. I will look into it tomorrow.

What is the recommended engine for powering the machines? It's seeming that redstone engines don't quite cut it but I am seeing slow progress with the harvesting. Things seem to progress a lot faster with a steam engine.

Biogas obviously. :P No. Everything steam and upwards should be fine. An oil engine would however probably be a waste. The machines should run faster with a more powerful engine, but there are only so many saplings that can be planted or trees to chop down. The limiting factor is the tree growth rate.

Will the arboretum and logger accept power via conductive pipes?

I have not tested those, I must admit. However the code does not differentiate between engine and conductive pipe, the machine is simply a power receptor, which accepts input from the outside. I'll try it tomorrow.

Great mod so far, very promising!

Thanks!
Posted Image

FFGF
    FFGF

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • Minecraft: FFGF

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:14 PM

Looks interesting, but not for me.

Everybody gets a bit bored sometimes, click the link to not be bored for a few hours.

http://www.staggeringbeauty.com/

SirSengir
    SirSengir

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1449 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:21 PM

View PostStylez84, on 19 October 2011 - 10:46 PM, said:

Crashed when shift-clicking saplings into the arboretum.

*ouch* I just reproduced it... and am looking into it. Minecraft's crash report is not entirely helpful however...
Posted Image

Stylez84

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:25 PM

View PostSirSengir, on 19 October 2011 - 11:21 PM, said:

*ouch* I just reproduced it... and am looking into it. Minecraft's crash report is not entirely helpful however...

I noticed I also crash when shift-clicking coal into a steam engine... not sure if that's related or not or if it's due to my mod configuration.
Posted Image

SirSengir
    SirSengir

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1449 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:36 PM

View PostStylez84, on 19 October 2011 - 11:25 PM, said:

I noticed I also crash when shift-clicking coal into a steam engine... not sure if that's related or not or if it's due to my mod configuration.

The shift click crash is a known bug in 1.8.1... however it should only occur if your own inventory is full. This bug however occurs even with free space in the inventory. (And also occurs with the fermenter.)

I never use shift click for transfer, so I never noticed that. Will try to find the problem, but there is no quick fix for now.
Posted Image

SirSengir
    SirSengir

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1449 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:48 PM

Nevermind.

Get the fixed version here: http://dl.dropbox.co...lient-1.0.1.jar
Posted Image

Stylez84

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:27 AM

Any chance on adding support for industrial diamond in the recipe for the logger? If not it's no biggie as one tree farm should do most people so 4 diamonds isn't THAT big of a sacrifice.

EDIT:

I can't re-orient the biogas engines with a wrench. The Buildcraft wrench has no affect on the engine and the IC2 and the Forestry wrench both just open the inventory of the engine. Also the biogas engine seems to break a little too easily.
Posted Image

SirSengir
    SirSengir

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1449 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:19 AM

View PostStylez84, on 20 October 2011 - 01:27 AM, said:

Any chance on adding support for industrial diamond in the recipe for the logger? If not it's no biggie as one tree farm should do most people so 4 diamonds isn't THAT big of a sacrifice.

Good idea! Grab the new version if you want to use industrial diamonds.

EDIT:

I can't re-orient the biogas engines with a wrench. The Buildcraft wrench has no affect on the engine and the IC2 and the Forestry wrench both just open the inventory of the engine. Also the biogas engine seems to break a little too easily.

That's strange. It works here. Can you send me your ModLoader.txt from a game where you tried to use the wrench from IndustrialCraft 2 and BuildCraft on a biogas engine? Is the id of your wrench from IndustrialCraft 2 on id 29927? That of BuildCraft on id 3806? If the ids are different, you can edit %appdata%/.minecraft/config/forestry.conf to fix the ids Forestry assumes.

Also: Even if clicked with a wrench, a biogas engine will only reorient if there is another adjacent tile that can accept power. If there are no powerable tiles in any direction (or only one in the direction the engine is currently pointing) it will not switch orientations.

As a stop-gap measure I changed forestry's own wrench in the new version to always work, even if any of the other two mods are installed. If the engine still does not switch orientations, there are no other powerable tiles.

New Version: http://dl.dropbox.co...lient-1.0.2.jar

CHANGELOG
---------

- Added properties for blockids of BuildCraft engines and pipes. Arboretum now ignores the following blocks when clearing the working area: Logger, biogas engine, fermenter, redstone torches, bricks, BuildCraft pipes and engines. Spared blocks will however still be destroyed if they are afterwards in the area that is covered by humus.
- Added alternative logger recipe using industrial diamonds from IndustrialCraft 2.
- Forestry's wrench now always works, even if IndustrialCraft and BuildCraft are present.
Posted Image

Stylez84

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:53 PM

View PostSirSengir, on 20 October 2011 - 05:19 AM, said:

Also: Even if clicked with a wrench, a biogas engine will only reorient if there is another adjacent tile that can accept power. If there are no powerable tiles in any direction (or only one in the direction the engine is currently pointing) it will not switch orientations.

I think that's the problem, I was trying to orient the engine before placing the arboretum on top of it. I'll try it when I get home and see if it works. Kudos on the industrial diamonds too!

Any plans on using the upcoming Forge ore dictionary? You seem to have covered overlapping ores on your own but it might be something worth looking into in-case other mods want to use your ores and fertilizers, etc.
Posted Image

SirSengir
    SirSengir

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1449 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:06 PM

View PostStylez84, on 20 October 2011 - 03:53 PM, said:

Any plans on using the upcoming Forge ore dictionary? You seem to have covered overlapping ores on your own but it might be something worth looking into in-case other mods want to use your ores and fertilizers, etc.

First time I've heard of it. I haven't looked to closely at Minecraft Forge's current development source code, just at the 1.1.1 release, which does not yet include it. Will certainly take a closer look as soon as a version with such a function is released! My own implementation depends entirely on knowing the block and item ids, which is never a good thing.
Posted Image

SirSengir
    SirSengir

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1449 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:31 AM

Finally removed the need for a patch to the base classes of Minecraft! The solution was so obvious I am still not certain, why I didn't think of it before.

Apart from the fact that this removes another installation step, it also has the nice side effect of making Forestry compatible with any other Minecraft Forge mod - at least with regards to the code. (BTW was for example editing the same base classes and was probably incompatible before.)

If you had the patch "Fertile Blocks for 1.8.1" installed for a previous version you will be able to keep using the patched jar and not need to install from scratch. Other mods might however break your jar in the future, if they overwrite only one of the patched classes (ms.class or oc.class). As a quick remedy you can take these two files from an unmodified original minecraft.jar and overwrite those in the patched jar.

CHANGELOG

- Removed the need for patching the Minecraft base classes! The patch "Fertile Blocks" is obsolete and does not need to be installed anymore. Forestry should now be compatible with any Forge mods.
- Increased hardness for biogas engine.
- Experimental SMP support for internal testing reenabled. GUIs of arboretum, fermenter, biogas engine will not update. They work, but don't display fuel levels, etc.
- Increased heat loss when engine is overheating. Introduced maximum heat. Otherwise engine would continue to heat up indefinetly.
Posted Image