40 replies to this topic

dodike
    dodike

Carpenter

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:40 PM

Hi.

What is the most convenient method for removal of large volume of water?

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Neowulf115
  • Minecraft: Neowulf115

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:41 PM

For real

Collinw24
    Collinw24

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2010 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:42 PM

Sand, fill it in with sand and then dig it out.
-No trees were killed in the sending of this message. however, several million electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

PierreLouis
  • Minecraft: PierreLouis

You can use WorldEdit, which comes with SinglePlayerCommands. But that's not legit...
Or just replace all the water blocks, with sand, or gravel blocks, starting from the top.

doom825
    doom825

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 606 posts
  • Minecraft: Doom825

Sand or gravel. It will fall and get rid of the water sources it falls on...I think...
Pssst...If my post helped you in any way or you liked it/Thought it was funny/Other Please press the green plus button over there. Thanks!

froom
    froom

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • Minecraft: gc_shadow_child

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:43 PM

or sponges if your hacking stuff in
Posted Image

Collinw24
    Collinw24

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2010 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:44 PM

View Postdoom825, on 07 October 2011 - 04:42 PM, said:

Sand or gravel. It will fall and get rid of the water sources it falls on...I think...

No it will not get rid of water if it is falling, because sand becomes an entity when falling.
-No trees were killed in the sending of this message. however, several million electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

phoenix66six

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:45 PM

View PostPierreLouis, on 07 October 2011 - 04:42 PM, said:

You can use WorldEdit, which comes with SinglePlayerCommands. But that's not legit...
Or just replace all the water blocks, with sand, or gravel blocks, starting from the top.

View Postdoom825, on 07 October 2011 - 04:42 PM, said:

the second option here (ignoring the WorldEdit part) would be the best option because you can stay at the top of the area and just drop the sand/gravel without actually dealing with the water
Posted Image

TakiToru

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:45 PM

Sand and gravel are the best opinions, since they fall down when placed mid-air (or water) and then, when whole area is covered, you can mine them up with a shovel.
But that will take a looong time, i've done projects like this myself :(
Still, pretty much the best legit way.

Good luck!
Posted Image

PierreLouis
  • Minecraft: PierreLouis

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:46 PM

View PostCollinw24, on 07 October 2011 - 04:44 PM, said:

No it will not get rid of water if it is falling, because sand becomes an entity when falling.
True, but he didn't mean that. He just said it wrong...
He meant when the sand is stopped and lands on another solid block, it replaces water (source or flowing).

EDIT: Maybe by poring lava on top, you can transform the water in cobblestone. And that would fast to mine, and not require a lot of gravel or sand! :D

BLAZE_MkIV
  • Minecraft: BLAZE_MkIV

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:02 PM

build a piston contraption to synchronize a lot of lava flows so it all turns to steam instead of cobble.

rodabon
    rodabon

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7187 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:23 PM

Without mods, the best way I found was to use sugar canes.  You make a pattern of holes on the bottom of the area that are a chess knights move (two forward, one over) from each other.  Then you stack sugar canes on all four sides around the holes to the top of the water.  Then you are left with columns of water where the holes are.  Just swim up to them near the top and place one sand or gravel at the very top, this will remove the top water source and it will fall down and fill the hole at the bottom removing that water source.  Then just fill the remainder with dirt, from the top down.  Once the bottom water is gone the sugar canes should pop off.  

The lava solution should work, but it would likely take a minimum of 4 buckets and you would do them in a square pattern, then move two to the other side, and continue until the area was clear.  This might be easier than my way above, I'll have to try it and see if there are any complications with the method.
Re: 3D Minecraft - Anyone tried it?
by c0yote  

I tried it with terrible results. I gave my wife my glasses for a second, a creeper showed up and now my wife is pregnant.
Stupid 3D..

Nick131
    Nick131

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1111 posts
  • Minecraft: Nick131

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:25 PM

I always just fill it with wool since wool is mostly useless.  Then I burn it.
Posted Image

TJcatastrophe

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:26 PM

I heard this from someone else but use leaves. the really quick and easy to collect, and without out wood you wont need to remove them because they'll just despawn :)

2weirdy
    2weirdy

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1098 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:31 PM

He said convenient, as far as I know, building a piston contraption is not the most convenient method.

Yea, I suggest using sand. Lava tends to linger, and it only travels 4 blocks.
Over 90 % of the human population is stupid (in my honest opinion). Don't expect too much from them when you post something that actually involves thought.

rodabon
    rodabon

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7187 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:35 PM

View Post2weirdy, on 07 October 2011 - 05:31 PM, said:

Yea, I suggest using sand. Lava tends to linger, and it only travels 4 blocks.

Lava travels 4 blocks horizontally. Vertically it is unlimited.
by c0yote  

I tried it with terrible results. I gave my wife my glasses for a second, a creeper showed up and now my wife is pregnant.
Stupid 3D..

2weirdy
    2weirdy

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1098 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:01 PM

And your point is? You can't reach that far, and you need to take it off before you can remine the cobble. by can't reach that far I meant horizontal, as in you need to do it multiple times for one layer.
Over 90 % of the human population is stupid (in my honest opinion). Don't expect too much from them when you post something that actually involves thought.

wells123456
  • Minecraft: well845

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:05 PM

Leaves is most efficient

rodabon
    rodabon

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7187 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:07 PM

View Post2weirdy, on 07 October 2011 - 06:01 PM, said:

And your point is? You can't reach that far, and you need to take it off before you can remine the cobble. by can't reach that far I meant horizontal, as in you need to do it multiple times for one layer.

And YOUR point is...?  

My point is that one lava source can take out a whole column of water source blocks.  Just because you have to use more than one doesn't make it inefficient, what better alternative do you have?  You sure didn't state one in your post. It sounds like you're thinking in horizontal layers.  With the new deeper oceans, a vertical removal solution like this would likely be preferable for most applications.
by c0yote  

Stupid 3D..

devilquak
    devilquak

Gold Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 388 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:13 PM

There's really no easy way... you could download Exandu's Sponge enabler, and use that. Otherwise, you'll just have to fill it up with sand or gravel and then dig it out. Or you could build an underwater house :P

Check out my Bukkit plugins, EatWheat, Film Maker and Drug Dealer!

Posted Image