• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Pocket Dimensions

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Darkmagic101

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:18 PM

What I was thinking is that we have little pocket dimensions that we could visit either using a portal or an item.  The game could consist of infinite pocket dimensions, each one would be an empty platform made of bedrock, probably a good 100x100 square, maybe bigger like 1000x1000(point is not infinitely growing world).  The pocket dimension will be void from monsters.  This won't ruin survival mode because you would need to craft a way into the pocket dimension which will take alot of time and effort to gather the materials.(Maybe make a "nether gate" using iron blocks or gold blocks)

The idea is not perfect, but I think it would be cool to have.  Maybe someone could come up with some more uses for this?  ;)
"If it already has been done then it can be done again"  or
"If its a mod its possible to be a feature"

Register or log in to remove.

kravitzz
    kravitzz

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:20 PM

Hm, i will spy on this thread for a bit, it seems like a rather intriguing suggestion!

F477y
    F477y

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:40 PM

So you want infinite large cubes of pure bedrock. Why? How will this help?

Link01000
  • Minecraft: Link01000

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:25 PM

I  kind of like the idea, but...
1. It should only be a small area, like a 50X50 area.
2. Mobs SHOULD spawn, because otherwise it would be unbalanced. I think there should be a special mob for this area, and nothing other than it would spawn.
3. You could get to the dimension with something like a crystal ball or something, and inside it you would be able to see an affect that made it look like you were inside it
4. The dimension would be tied to this item, so if you loose the item, you lose the dimension
5. you can only have one at a time
I think this would balance it out...
Posted Image

Darkmagic101

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:47 AM

View PostLink01000, on 03 October 2011 - 11:25 PM, said:

I  kind of like the idea, but...
1. It should only be a small area, like a 50X50 area.
2. Mobs SHOULD spawn, because otherwise it would be unbalanced. I think there should be a special mob for this area, and nothing other than it would spawn.
3. You could get to the dimension with something like a crystal ball or something, and inside it you would be able to see an affect that made it look like you were inside it
4. The dimension would be tied to this item, so if you loose the item, you lose the dimension
5. you can only have one at a time
I think this would balance it out...

What if the walls of the 50x50x50(i know i added another 50:P) area made of an enlarged version of where the crystal ball is placed.(like your tiny 50x smaller lol). From the outside of the ball you could maybe be able to see dots for the land inside.  This could be used to make alittle snow globe with some work.(not original intent of my idea but sounds fun)

I think being able to have more than one would be nice but if you place one inside the other.... maybe big giant explosion, it'll be like destroying the universe...or maybe like a creeper exploding.  This will kill ne1 inside of the dimension with no chance of getting your items back.
"If it already has been done then it can be done again"  or
"If its a mod its possible to be a feature"

lance_north

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:02 AM

the 50 by 50 by 50 should be bumped up to 64 by 64 by 64 since 64 is a power of two but aside from that its a great idea. the mobs should spawn there but I do not think there should be a special mob for this area and it shouldnt be limited to one per world but they should be hard to create and use. but if the gateway block is destroyed then it should let you recover it some how.

Bumber
    Bumber

Portal Expert

• Members
  • 5000 posts
  • Location: Loafing around like bread and growing binary trees.
  • Minecraft: rwilliams1990

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:07 AM

This thread has sort of the same concept:
http://www.minecraft...stone-circuits/
Spoiler:
I lurk sometimes. I don't post anymore.

Bjaz98
    Bjaz98

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • Minecraft: Bjaz98
  • Xbox:Bjaz98

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:44 AM

Theres already a mod like this called Myst craft, based on the game Myst.

Black_Drath
  • Minecraft: Black_Drath

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:26 AM

View PostBjaz98, on 19 August 2012 - 07:44 AM, said:

Theres already a mod like this called Myst craft, based on the game Myst.
This suggestion was made before that mod was released. Also, it's against the forum rules to post "there is a mod for that".

Posted Image

texTnummbers22

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

Would each player get there own individual pocket dimension or would it be one per map?
Posted Image

scoobie
    scoobie

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

where do you end up when you exit reletive to where you began?
could it be used to escape from mobs when low on health?

what would the lighting be like?
is there walls on all sides?
as if you are on the inside of a hollow cube
Currently building a village within a building.

stevenrs11

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

Just noticed this thread- I'm making a mod that is atleast somewhat similar to this idea. And don't worry- its not just an idea/project request, it's a fully playable beta that will probably reach full release status within a few days.

http://www.minecraft...within-a-world/

Posted Image

UnitedSquadron

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

I guess it would be okay. I'm not sure about this.
Posted Image

Jacknos123
  • Minecraft: Jacknos123

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

Interesting idea. If you were going to make a crystal ball to get to the pocket dimensions you should make one of the crafting ingredients for the crystal ball something difficult to acquire, like the nether star.
Wanna have a staring contest?

Genouious
  • Minecraft: Lord_baigent

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

Support, these could make for some fun boss arenas for adventure maps. However I do have a question,  If there is an infinite number of pocket dimensions how do you know which one you will go to?

PetitMorte

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

How about this: When the dimension gate object is crafted, it requires a non-falling block (glass, dirt, wood, sandstone, stone, obsidian) as part of the recipe.  When you first pass through the gate into the pocket dimension, you arrive standing on that single block floating in a black void.  The only illumination would be from the gate itself.  If you fall off the block, you fall into the void and off the map.  If you want more room, you have to build it yourself.

The black void could be a skybox-style texture file, maybe one of several, that modders could change.

What would happen in multiplayer, if you're in your pocket dimension and someone destroys your gate object?  Are you just stuck there? Would you be immediately transported back to the overworld?  Would the pocket be destroyed, or just cut off?