Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

15 Tips on how to make a good skin.


  • Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1

Blaze Cream
  • Minecraft: jameshays

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:05 PM

Whats up Minecrafters?
I thought that ALOT of people want skin requests, why can't they make them thereselfs?

Tip #1: Do NOT use MS Paint.  Photofiltre and Photoshop are better for pro Skin makers. I would say if you have Photofiltre, or Photoshop and you are starting out, try using them for editing. For beginners, use MC Skinedit. It’s much easier, and has a nice interface.

Tip #2: Do NOT use a lot of colors, or neon colors. It hurts the eyes and looks bad. I would say, just don't do it.

Tip #3: Do NOT make a skin that has hundreds of skins made for it. (Ex. Yoshi, Mario, TMNT) ,unless it's every different.

Tip #4: If you are making a skin of a video game, or movie person; Use Google or something to bring up the image, don't draw from memory.

Tip #5: If you cannot Hand draw or so called "Mouse draw" Use other people's skins and edit them. (Remeber Credit!) Simple as it needs to be.

Tip #6: Take your time. A skin you are going to upload or use should look nice so you will want to keep that skin or have others download it.

Tip #7: Use the burn tool (If you’re looking for Minecraft looks) in MC Skinedit (Or Dodge and Sponge tools Photoshop)

Tip #8: Use hats to your advantage, such as using it as a normal hat, ears, or even noses.

Tip #9: Use fitting colors. Using fitting colors makes your skin look nice. (Ex. Dark night with dark colors)

Tip #10: Use the skin you made to see if it fits in Minecraft. Because the skin doesn’t appear exactly what it does with the lighting of Minecraft.

Tip #11: When looking in game, dose the armor cover the eyes? If it does, then fix it.

Tip #12: Remember, Hats go under armor. So make sure the armor makes sense with the hair and ears.

Tip #13: Be creative with your skins. If you want a dragon with eyes on its side, do so. It looks neat and different.

Tip #14: If none of this works for you, you can request skins, but you don't get a whole lot of control with what you get.

Tip #15: Good luck, have fun.

I don't mean not to use Photoshop, I just would not prefer it for beginners, I use it to edit my skins.

:D Post your Comments and Suggestions below!:D


:DORE:  Support this thread! Make it a Sticky!  :DORE:


Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

#2

rens0wnt
  • Location: North holland,netherlands

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:07 PM

i also make my own skins. i like that alot. i put on some deadmau5 and make my own skin. its hard. but its fun.

#3

Blaze Cream
  • Minecraft: jameshays

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:09 PM

View Postrens0wnt, on 01 October 2011 - 03:07 PM, said:

i also make my own skins. i like that alot. i put on some deadmau5 and make my own skin. its hard. but its fun.

I would want to post my skins but I don't know how to put images on this fourm without it being a website link.  <_<
Posted Image

#4

SchwarzRozen
  • Location: USA

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:10 PM

MS Paint is something you shouldn't do, and Photoshop is really good; I use it, as well as a lot of the "top" people on Planet Minecraft. That or they use a free program such as Gimp or Paint Net.

Just because something is better to use doesn't mean you should be limited towards them. If you wanted to be really awesome, you could use both as Photoshop can do a whole lot of stuff that Skinedit can't use.

SkinEdit is credited by me to me the best pure skin designing program, novaskin, n00bshoes, and especially skincraft lack so much.

Also, if you want to post your skins to the fourm; either get a Planet Minecraft/Skin Cache and use the embeded code given for you to use; or if you really want to (some people do it) upload it to imageshack witht he char and 3D image

#5

fudgyhoops
  • Location: Ireland
  • Minecraft: fudgyhoops
  • Xbox:Fudgyhoops

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:10 PM

Well that was pretty informative, and I'm sure everyone who has seen generic and horrible skins will thank you for summing everything up.

Btw, there's loads of grammar errors. Copy and Paste the whole post into Word or something to fix them.
This won't be the last post complaining about your grammar if you don't.
>implying I need a signature

#6

CorruptEagle

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:11 PM

Posted Image View GSG9

One of my best skins...
Posted Image

#7

Blaze Cream
  • Minecraft: jameshays

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

View Postfudgyhoops, on 01 October 2011 - 03:10 PM, said:

Well that was pretty informative, and I'm sure everyone who has seen generic and horrible skins will thank you for summing everything up.

Btw, there's loads of grammar errors. Copy and Paste the whole post into Word or something to fix them.
This won't be the last post complaining about your grammar if you don't.

Thanks for telling me, my grammar is crap.
Posted Image

#8

X-Rifles-X

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:24 PM

This is a really nice tutorial. Hopefully it will get thumbnailed. ;)
Posted Image

#9

Blaze Cream
  • Minecraft: jameshays

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:26 PM

View PostX-Rifles-X, on 01 October 2011 - 03:24 PM, said:

This is a really nice tutorial. Hopefully it will get thumbnailed. ;)

Thumbnailed? Oh the joy. :lol:
Posted Image

#10

SchwarzRozen
  • Location: USA

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:30 PM

You should add to tip 7; Dodge and Sponge tool (more photoshop-ish, but bleh)

#11

Blaze Cream
  • Minecraft: jameshays

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:36 PM

View PostTwidragon, on 01 October 2011 - 03:30 PM, said:

You should add to tip 7; Dodge and Sponge tool (more photoshop-ish, but bleh)

Shure whynot? Ill go add that in now. :D
Posted Image

#12

Sushiirull
  • Minecraft: Sushiirull

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:51 PM

As for the whole MSPaint/Photoshop thing...

I use Photofiltre. :D It's a free downloadable program that works like a complex version of paint, and a simpler version of Photoshop. What I mean, is that it isn't complex until you try doing something creative with it. There's no dodge and burn tool, but there are many settings to change colors until it looks like what you want it to. It's not for everyone, however. I would say: If you want Photoshop, but can't afford it or don't want to buy it, you can get Photofiltre.

It's really good for variegating colors so the colors look more natural.

There's really nothing wrong with MSPaint in my opinion, though.
If you know what you're doing, you can make epic skins.
It's just not for beginners. :)

The tutorial is great though :D
Long post is long...


#13

SchwarzRozen
  • Location: USA

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:54 PM

MSPaint has no transparency though, thats why I say its bad

#14

Blaze Cream
  • Minecraft: jameshays

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:03 PM

View PostSushiirull, on 01 October 2011 - 03:51 PM, said:

As for the whole MSPaint/Photoshop thing...

I use Photofiltre. :D It's a free downloadable program that works like a complex version of paint, and a simpler version of Photoshop. What I mean, is that it isn't complex until you try doing something creative with it. There's no dodge and burn tool, but there are many settings to change colors until it looks like what you want it to. It's not for everyone, however. I would say: If you want Photoshop, but can't afford it or don't want to buy it, you can get Photofiltre.

It's really good for variegating colors so the colors look more natural.

There's really nothing wrong with MSPaint in my opinion, though.
If you know what you're doing, you can make epic skins.
It's just not for beginners. :)

The tutorial is great though :D
Long post is long...



Thanks for telling me. I had no clue what photofiltre was. Added to post.
Posted Image

#15

Funrush
    Funrush

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 370 posts
  • Location: The MineCraft Forums, Internet
  • Minecraft: Funrush

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:32 PM

Man, this helps, thanks. I tried to make an alt Steve which was pretty much him with a red shirt. I failed dramatically.

#16

Bartender
  • Location: 1.7 Mod Generated World
  • Minecraft: Harr harr!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:43 PM

That's a nice tutorial! Now I need to think of a new idea for a skin.

Playing Minecraft since early Alpha, before sneaking was added.

Lord of the Craft


#17

Blaze Cream
  • Minecraft: jameshays

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:59 PM

View PostBartender, on 01 October 2011 - 05:43 PM, said:

That's a nice tutorial! Now I need to think of a new idea for a skin.

Id say use sprites (From Nes, Snes, ect. And use those as samples, and build on them. Thats what I did, Look at my new skin post if you would like.
Posted Image

#18

bootproof38

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:05 PM

I make my own skins since downloading other ones wouldn't make you feel proud of your skin.

#19

Softpaw
    Softpaw

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:06 PM

Thanks for the tips. ;)

#20

Blaze Cream
  • Minecraft: jameshays

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:48 PM

Is this topic dead D: Someone bump?
Posted Image