• This topic is locked This topic is locked
211 replies to this topic

ChromeE
    ChromeE

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:24 PM

The Ether is another dimension idea, like The Nether. it will be the opposite of "Hell": it will have the floating islands of indev. the portal creation might be a bit different, perhaps water instead of fire?
Post your ideas/suggestions on The Ether, or other dimension ideas!
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Enduar
    Enduar

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:32 PM

It's a little to predictable. I'd rather see something a little more creative if there's a new realm added. The name isn't bad, but the concept needs be a little less predictable than "Opposite of the one that was just made".

Blade_N
    Blade_N

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1277 posts
  • Minecraft: Blade_N

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:36 PM

It could be a realm , with floating islands , no nights , water steams coming out of them
And if you accidently jump out of the islands ... You will be teleported to the ground.
The portal could be made with lightstone

toninus
    toninus

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:41 PM

Good idea. Just don't forget unicorns and rainbows...

GreyAcumen
    GreyAcumen

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4570 posts
  • Minecraft: GreyAcumen

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:47 PM

how about instead of obsidian and fire, you need to build the portal out of hell blocks and use the lightstone on it, so that in order to get to the Ether, you have to visit the Nether first?

Airandius

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:34 PM

Don't like the: Go to the Nether before going to the Ether Idea. Just introduce a new stone that is used for the portal which can be found in the regular world.

huw2k8
    huw2k8

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:02 AM

if that were so there would have to be an equilly dificult to find block it takes 3 diamonds to be mined then a bucket to be made then water to be collected and pour onto lava underground 12 times and then flint and steel to make a nether portal so it would have to be equily hard
Posted Image[/center]
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Dazureus

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:03 AM

My first thought is gold, and something different for the core than fire. Maybe make the core somewhat tougher to find.

I'm all for more dimensions, and I like the idea of floating islands but it seems sort of obvious. "well hey, they made hell the Nether, so let's add heaven the Ether!" I'm not complaining about the concept. Just the timing.
Notch-o cheese to debut in b1.6, along with Herobrine and dragons.

Pyro627
    Pyro627

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:37 AM

How about you have to make it out of bedrock? that ought to keep

I'm joking, of course. How about it must be constructed out of lightstone, at a high altitude; it activates when a cloud passes through it.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

dusty328 said:

This man really is a genius. Never have i seen such a clear and well written forum post.

Axoren
    Axoren

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • Minecraft: Axoren

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:40 AM

How about instead of an obsidian portal, you had to make large cloth pentagram and you needed to place books and torches on each point of the pentagram and the pentagon in the center would turn into a portal.
echo -e "\007"

qwertyz
    qwertyz

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1637 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:43 AM

If Notch ever adds marble, that definitely should be the block for the entrance to be made out of =P

Floating islands? Do want.
Click for awesome indie game: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=dhk-2Wb_IyQ
Posted Image

Pyro627
    Pyro627

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:22 AM

That reminds me, we totally need marble. Maybe you can get it by smelting smooth stone?

dusty328 said:

This man really is a genius. Never have i seen such a clear and well written forum post.

qwertyz
    qwertyz

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1637 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:26 AM

Pyro627 said:

That reminds me, we totally need marble. Maybe you can get it by smelting smooth stone?
Naw, just make it a new block. Maybe rare as natural obsidian, and only half as hard to mine.
Click for awesome indie game: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=dhk-2Wb_IyQ
Posted Image

Pyro627
    Pyro627

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:30 PM

qwertyz said:

Pyro627 said:

Naw, just make it a new block. Maybe rare as natural obsidian, and only half as hard to mine.
But there is no natural obsidian. It only occurs when a waterfall flows into a pool or lava.

Besides, that'd make it too rare; obsidian as it is is pretty easy to get because it can be created by any idiot with a bucket of water and enough balls to go down there.

dusty328 said:

GreyAcumen
    GreyAcumen

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4570 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:35 PM

Guys, LIGHTSTONE BLOCKS. It just freaking makes sense. Stop in the Nether, find and mine a TON of Lightstone, and then make a portal the same as you would to The Nether, but with Lightstone blocks instead of obsidian.

Heho
    Heho

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:25 PM

I think the marble idea is quite cool for a portal in the other dirction(assuming nether is something like down). As marble is chalk that has been put under pressure and heat it could be created just like obsidian, by pouring lava over  chalk which should than be as somehow as common as water, so creating would be just as difficult. Chalk should form cliffs near water when beeing generated. Marble has to be mined by a diamond and should take as long as obsidian(and obsidians mining time should be decreased). The (maybe greenish) portal is then created by pouring water into the space between the marble. This also causes the bucket to disappear so that the materials costs are nearly the same. Entering that Portal you get to the floating island realm. This is in several ways a special realm:
1. No night here. It is somehow somekind of a peacefull realm at least at the first glance...
2. the islands move... dont know if that can be done but it would rock
3. clouds everywere.
4. big eagles fly around.
5. NO UNICORNS - they are to scary
6. No lava here
7. there should be something like fast travel but it should be different... any ideas?

There should also be new materials i would like to see a acceleration material which boosts you and minecarts(notch said that this is a good idea). There have to be more(as well as in the nether should be at least 5 more differnt stone types). And there should be at least one real threat for the people not playing in peacefull mode. It should be despite all those "hey look this is really a nice world" stuff be appropriate for the current difficulty.

ChromeE
    ChromeE

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:41 PM

I never thought of it being like heaven, and i don't like the idea of it having to be high above ground. And i never considered it being peaceful, i was thinking jet nautali! that would be fun...
also, on the topic of chalk: how about smelting clay to make marble? its not that accurate, but it could work.
Posted Image

mkruer
    mkruer

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:01 PM

When The Nether was first announced, the second thought I had was why settle just for hell. There should be a counterpart. I was thinking that if he was to make this, it should be more complex then difficult to obtain. Here was what i was imaging.

You have to grow 4 trees side by side.

:Leaves:  :Leaves:  :Leaves:  :Leaves:
:log:  :log:  :log:  :log:

Cut a door hole in it. and add water to the top of the hole
:log:   :Water:   :Water:   :log:
:log:  [] []  :log:

Then place source lava on the ground
:log:   :Lava:  :Lava:  :log:

which then becomes an obsidian base
:D  -_-  :obsidian:  :obsidian:

The water itself becomes the door. Instead of obsidian if it is implemented is the floating block material.

As for mobs, two come to mind, lighting sprites that zap you if they get too close and some sort of flying cupid/fairy shooting arrows

thats my two cents.
~English is my FIRST language, sorry if I make any grammar/spelling mistakes!~

GreyAcumen
    GreyAcumen

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4570 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:30 PM

It's next to impossible to get that many trees to grow side by side without interfering with each other's growth. Also, your lava would set yoru trees on fire.

Seriously. LIGHT STONE. It gives off light, BRIGHT LIGHT. Found in Hell, so you have to go through the rough stuff to get to the nice stuff. If you had a huge portal that glowed brightly with a light gold tint, where do you think it would lead?

ChromeE
    ChromeE

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:03 PM

Why does everyone think the ether will be nice? Its floating islands, which will kill you if you fall, and jet nautali flying around which will knock you off!
Posted Image