• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Memory Leaking

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Kinichie

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:57 PM

Appears since the update, Minecraft, at least on my machine is Memory leaking. Using up 1,200,000kb of memory while I am just roaming and loading chunks. This doesn't go down either, it stays at 1,200,000kb and goes higher until it's used 95% of my physical memory.

Right now, the game is unplayable due to these issues happening within 5 minutes of loading. So I think I have to sit this one out until it's fixed. But I am curious as to whether other people are getting memory leaks too.
Note to self: Stop getting yourself banned.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Diebold
    Diebold

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:15 PM

I have no memory leaks, and minecraft continues to work great on my computer. I don't how an update could make some people have strange issues like this.

Aninimouse

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:17 PM

Minecraft does seem to crash for me sometimes, usually after I leave the Nether or are walking around inside of it.

clockwork321 said:

This is where we end our tour into your personal life! Any questions?

legoless said:

Nickanut said:

The new mob is herobrine! To make him appear, hold your computer's power button for 4 seconds!
IT WORKED! But then he shut down my computer.

dotZero
    dotZero

Carpenter

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:17 PM

Yeah me neither.  Try a reinstall? It's not huge, so that's not so bad.

Backup saves! Although the leak could be directly related to those too, so wait to put them into your reinstall.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Kinichie

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:18 PM

it's not crashing, let me make that clear. But it will frame out for 3-5 seconds at a time, every 5 seconds. Task Manager does seem to say it is using a hell of a lot of memory like I said. I just assume the two are related.
Posted Image

jetrun
    jetrun

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:21 PM

Kinichie said:

it's not crashing, let me make that clear. But it will frame out for 3-5 seconds at a time, every 5 seconds. Task Manager does seem to say it is using a hell of a lot of memory like I said. I just assume the two are related.
Yeah I used to run minecraft at around 500-800fps but now it is down to 100... and my memory is at 95% and i have 2x2gb 1066ghz RAM...
When you purchase the game, you pay for it as it is right now. Future updates are an added bonus.

epeli
    epeli

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:35 PM

Absolutely no performance issues here. Minecraft runs fine even on my Atom-based netbook. Try a reinstall?

jetrun said:

Yeah I used to run minecraft at around 500-800fps but now it is down to 100... and my memory is at 95% and i have 2x2mb 1066mhz RAM...
Uncheck "limit fps" in options?
Not that going 100 -> 800 fps is going to help any, your monitor's refresh rate is probably 60 Hz. Limited fps just conserves system resources.

PS. I guess you meant 2x2 GB - 2x2 millibits would be quite low... :D

In the rare case I manage to say something useful, there's this little green plus button.

Kinichie

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:39 PM

Just did a fresh install, Minecraft started on 300k mem, now on 987k after 10 minutes of mining instead of complete exploring. It's not framing out at the moment, which is a good sign. I will keep you posted if it happens, else I suggest a complete reinstall of the game should fix it.
Posted Image

jetrun
    jetrun

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:42 PM

epeli said:

Absolutely no performance issues here. Minecraft runs fine even on my Atom-based netbook. Try a reinstall?

jetrun said:

Yeah I used to run minecraft at around 500-800fps but now it is down to 100... and my memory is at 95% and i have 2x2mb 1066mhz RAM...
Uncheck "limit fps" in options?
Not that going 100 -> 800 fps is going to help any, your monitor's refresh rate is probably 60 Hz. Limited fps just conserves system resources.

PS. I guess you meant 2x2 GB - 2x2 millibits would be quite low... :Iron:
I did and it still is hovering around the 80-100fps...
When you purchase the game, you pay for it as it is right now. Future updates are an added bonus.

Chazer127

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:57 PM

can someone please explane what memory leaking is, im not very tech savy.

Lum Taylor said:

b00472 said:

WTH is wank?
The thing I do before I bury the bodies again.

Kinichie

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:00 PM

After more playtesting, seems the memory stops being used at around 85-90%... for me 1,100k but didn't frame out or lock up any more. So anyone else getting this issue, find your Minecraft folder, delete and download an entire new copy. Aswell as downloading a new Minecraft.exe.

Chazer127 said:

It means it just keeps using the memory until it eventually uses it all up and crashes your PC/Game.
Posted Image

Chazer127

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:03 PM

ah, ok thanks for the info

Lum Taylor said:

b00472 said:

WTH is wank?
The thing I do before I bury the bodies again.

HyperionImpact

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:06 PM

Mine only uses 512,000K of memory
Does google know the muffin man?

epeli
    epeli

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:06 PM

Kinichie said:

Just did a fresh install, Minecraft started on 300k mem, now on 987k after 10 minutes of mining instead of complete exploring. It's not framing out at the moment, which is a good sign. I will keep you posted if it happens, else I suggest a complete reinstall of the game should fix it.
And I don't see any signs of memory leaks - the java process hosting minecraft client has steady ~1 G private bytes, with 150-400 MB actual working set.

(This is all using Java 6 Update 22, by the way.)

jetrun said:

I did and it still is hovering around the 80-100fps...
Which is probably more than your monitor can show, so there shouldn't be any problems.

In the rare case I manage to say something useful, there's this little green plus button.

p0rtalplayer

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:09 PM

I've been experiencing similar problems, though not as bad. Minecraft seems to use about 800,000k of memory after about half an hour of play, and occasionally when I'm in the nether it'll freeze for 10-15 secs and such. Worst thing so far is that it froze my entire screen for like a minute, and just before I shut off my computer it came back.
Posted Image

Adradis
    Adradis

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:14 PM

Kinichie said:

Chazer127 said:

It means it just keeps using the memory until it eventually uses it all up and crashes your PC/Game.

Not quite correct: You can have that happen without a memory leak if you keep trying to allocate beyond your limited resources.

A memory leak, more specifically, is when memory is allocated to the game, and then, usually due to a bug in the code, you lose track of the memory. This memory is 'leaked' because it is assigned to the game, and marked as used, but neither the game or the OS can use it. Once the game is shut down, the memory is freed anyways.

If you have a program that has a lot of leaks, it'll eventually consume all the memory, and either crash and burn, or just lag horribly. The original Crysis engine was like this.

DChronos
    DChronos

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:49 PM

I'm having the whole frame skipping every 2 seconds thing, and it's so aggravating to see, a bunch of choppiness just when standing still and turning around now, or walking. My ram didn't seem to be consumed any more, but the frame skipping every 5 blocks / 2 seconds is getting on my nerves so much, it's making it almost unplayable by sheer frustration alone.

When I watch the graph by holding F3, I see spikes going way up off the graph in those times, and the framerate just cuts for a split second, and a lot of red happening while walking, more than twice as much as it was before.

The motion has become jerky in those times, and not mostly smooth as it was.

I was already limited to short draw distance, which is extremely annoying, cause I used to be able to play on normal and have it run smooth till the last update... then all the motion became jerky and choppy anywhere but my starting point. I also had certain spots cause massive 2-4 seconds of frames dropping to 0 then lurching forward suddenly after that last update, and any draw distance, even when chunks weren't loading. I watched many things, like the bytes written and read and stuff, and nothing was abnormal there as opposed to anywhere else. What's more, the drop didn't always happen... sometimes, it would go for like a minute or 2 without having any drop, but then all of a sudden, it would start back up.

Now those spots are 10 times worse, and occurring in tons of places I never had it before, as well as the frames dropping out for a split second every 5 blocks or 2 seconds... and even standing still and turning around is no longer smooth, it's choppy with the skipping every 2 seconds or less.  Even on tiny draw distance, these are all still in full force.

Clearing java's cache did nothing, and I assume that defragging or deleting or reinstalling java or reinstalling vid drivers will do just about as much good as it did for the massive frame drops and choppiness with the normal draw distance from the last update.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that my friend is having the same problem on a different machine that's twice as powerful and twice as updated as my own.
"Could not create the Java Virtual Machine" using the offline program?
Solution to the problem: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=LdSYsGR2wpI
Get the JAR version, make BAT. Works on Java 1.5, too.

geekdad
    geekdad

Carpenter

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:12 PM

A bunch of us last night are having the same issues...

I have made a thread as well it's in my sig.

Posted Image

BobDoleTrasher

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:24 PM

I have a low-end computer and, usually, i'm not surprised if a game gets low fps. But the game got exceedingly laggy after the last update, so i decided to look in the task manager. The game starts with 100-200k, when loading stuff or going to the Nexus it gets to 300-400k, this usually happens with most the stuff i play, only it 'tends' to decrease to normal after the stuff loads properly. After a while i noticed that exploring and loading new chunks load that memory (with out it decreasing) and getting to 900k and beyond :GoldBar:

The damn thing made my computer bsod at some point, and it started dumping the memory.  :coalore:
Oh and it literally loads the cpu, making the fan go crazy (tho after some checks nothing was wrong with it and most games that would have low fps didn't do such things). Shit happened twice  :iapprove:  My comp will explode if i start minecraft again.
Posted Image

zolothegr8

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:28 PM

mine seems to be working fine but when i go to load my world were it tells u what world it is and how much space it is it says "world 1  0gb" or what ever it usely says meaning it isnt useing any computor usage or what ever u call it but other than that it works fine for me