Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

"Can't Resolve Hostname"

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Mikuisawesome

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:19 PM

Hey,

I'm trying to connect to my friends server which he has paid for too host, and i can't connect i just have the error message "Can't resolve hostname" in red on the server screen, and when i try to connect it immediatly gives me an error that it can't connect to the host name. Other people can connect fine too his server, what can i do too connect?
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

rickput7
    rickput7

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1896 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:21 PM

do you have any overly protective firewalls?
OG Member of BrenyBeast's private BeastCraft Server :)
Posted Image

Mikuisawesome

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:24 PM

View Postrickput7, on 23 September 2011 - 10:21 PM, said:

do you have any overly protective firewalls?

Already turned my firewall off, and tried another PC in my house, and restarted my router.
Posted Image

r3sistance

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:24 PM

Hostname means you're connecting via a domain like minecraft.friendsservername.tla. The issue is most likely a spelling error in the domain name supplied to you, I'd ask for the link again or if possible the IP Address.

EDIT: If this still doesn't work, open up command prompt (Windows Key + R, enter "cmd") and try the following.

nslookup serverdomain.

for example my site that is under construction, r3sistance.net would be "nslookup r3sistance.net" and should return something like this.

Server:  **************
Address:  **************

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    r3sistance.net
Address:  85.234.131.138

If you get something like

*** ********.****** can't find <friend's server>: Non-existent domain

Then you have DNS issues and may need to contact your ISP.

Mikuisawesome

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:27 PM

View Postr3sistance, on 23 September 2011 - 10:24 PM, said:

Hostname means you're connecting via a domain like minecraft.friendsservername.tla. The issue is most likely a spelling error in the domain name supplied to you, I'd ask for the link again or if possible the IP Address.

Okay, i'll try that, but i've recieved the same Ip from different sources for the same server, so i think the Ip i have is correct.
Posted Image

Mikuisawesome

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:10 AM

View Postr3sistance, on 23 September 2011 - 10:24 PM, said:

EDIT: If this still doesn't work, open up command prompt (Windows Key + R, enter "cmd") and try the following.

nslookup serverdomain.

for example my site that is under construction, r3sistance.net would be "nslookup r3sistance.net" and should return something like this.

Server:  **************
Address:  **************

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    r3sistance.net
Address:  85.234.131.138

If you get something like

*** ********.****** can't find <friend's server>: Non-existent domain

Then you have DNS issues and may need to contact your ISP.

I did this and got a respond from the command prompt that was correct, but what does this help me with, i still can't connect to the server?
Posted Image

xDiglett
    xDiglett

Coal Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 119 posts
  • Minecraft: xDiglett

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:12 AM

Does he have a firewall? Portforwarded?
Posted Image

Mikuisawesome

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:27 AM

View PostxDiglett, on 24 September 2011 - 08:12 AM, said:

Does he have a firewall? Portforwarded?

Other people can connect to his server fine, it's just me that can't, but i can connect to any other server i try too connect to.
Posted Image

MikeWTF

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:34 AM

I bet you have a space behind the up :P

r3sistance

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:50 AM

View PostMikuisawesome, on 24 September 2011 - 08:10 AM, said:

I did this and got a respond from the command prompt that was correct, but what does this help me with, i still can't connect to the server?

It's called troubleshooting, finding out where the issue maybe occurring. Are you connecting via an IP address (looks something like 127.93.24.11) or a URL (looks something like sub.domain.tla).

Mikuisawesome

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:58 PM

View Postr3sistance, on 24 September 2011 - 09:50 AM, said:

It's called troubleshooting, finding out where the issue maybe occurring. Are you connecting via an IP address (looks something like 127.93.24.11) or a URL (looks something like sub.domain.tla).

I'm connecting via an IP address
Posted Image

r3sistance

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:04 PM

View PostMikuisawesome, on 24 September 2011 - 12:58 PM, said:

I'm connecting via an IP address

Ok, My guess is for some strange reason your computer thinks you're trying to connect to a domain rather then an IP Address... not really sure what to recommend on that one, other then if you could place the ip address here? If that is ok.

okal
    okal

Glowstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3497 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:05 PM

You may have typed it in the wrong format, such that the game interprets it as a dns name, eg having a "." at the end.

The only thing you should have entered will be like:
Or if specifying a port:
123.123.123.123:12345

Mikuisawesome

Posted 24 September 2011 - 02:00 PM

View Postr3sistance, on 24 September 2011 - 01:04 PM, said:

Ok, My guess is for some strange reason your computer thinks you're trying to connect to a domain rather then an IP Address... not really sure what to recommend on that one, other then if you could place the ip address here? If that is ok.

Well i have no problem posting the IP here, however the server is whitelisted, so...
Posted Image

r3sistance

Posted 24 September 2011 - 02:08 PM

Not seeing any issue with it, sorry I'm not sure what to suggest... you only have an issue with this one server?

Mikuisawesome

Posted 24 September 2011 - 02:47 PM

View Postr3sistance, on 24 September 2011 - 02:08 PM, said:

Not seeing any issue with it, sorry I'm not sure what to suggest... you only have an issue with this one server?
Yeah, just this one, and thanks for the help anyway xD
Posted Image

August9091

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:07 AM

View PostMikuisawesome, on 24 September 2011 - 02:47 PM, said:

Yeah, just this one, and thanks for the help anyway xD
I'm having this same issue on my friends server. ;[

Jaex
    Jaex

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:28 AM

If Minecraft giving "Can't resolve hostname" error this means Minecraft can't recognize it is ip and trying to resolve it with dns server for find ip and failing. Probably you copying ip from somewhere and it contains invisible characters. Like new line character. Try to write ip manually.

August9091

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:15 PM

View PostMikuisawesome, on 23 September 2011 - 10:19 PM, said:

Hey,

I'm trying to connect to my friends server which he has paid for too host, and i can't connect i just have the error message "Can't resolve hostname" in red on the server screen, and when i try to connect it immediatly gives me an error that it can't connect to the host name. Other people can connect fine too his server, what can i do too connect?
I fixed the issue by deleting my .minecraft folder and redownloading a fresh copy of the files, then I made sure that the server I was having issues with before was the first one I entered into my Multiplayer server list. Good luck.

elevendot1

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:58 PM

I have a server and my adress is just :25565.   Is it supposed to be different. im not sure how to change it. and what to cahnge it to if i can.
my friends cant join either what should i do next?
I DONT GET IT!!!! minecraft is so complicated
i also have a mac so it may be different