• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

OpalRuby
    OpalRuby

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:56 PM

Hey, I have had this problem and tried many different ways from many different people on youtube. I have a MacBook OS X and ever since I updated to 1.8.1 and got a new hard drive for my computer. I had tried SOOOO many times to fix it, and none have been successful which really makes me angry because i spent 22 dollars on it and it is not working! It usually freezes up and goes black after "Saving Chunks", and then after about ten seconds  Can you please help? I have deleted the zip files, re downloaded it, and it still has had no effect. I will take any suggestions or help I can get.

~~~Thanks, Opal
:brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick:
:brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick:
:Glass: :Glass: :Glass: :Glass: :Glass: :Glass: :Glass: :Glass: :Glass:

Register or log in to remove.

Miscellany

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:34 AM

I'm having a very similar issue.  Here's the breakdown:

Operating System: Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8
Java: Just updated it a couple of hours ago.
Internet Connection: Speedtest.net tells me that I'm getting 5.18 Mbps download speed, 0.71 Mbps upload speed.
Mods: None.  What can I say, I'm a purist.

How it Happened:
Before I tried upgrading to 1.8, I had successfully played Minecraft 1.7.3 for about an hour, with no technical difficulties aside from the fact that I wasn't able to log in.  "Login Failed" said my launcher, and it gave me the usual choice to Play Offline or Try Again (and obviously, I picked the former).

As I was playing, a friend came over, and asked why I hadn't upgraded to 1.8 yet.  Showing her my problems with logging in, she told me that I needed to upgrade my launcher.  I downloaded the new launcher from Minecraft.net, fired it up with no problem, and tried to open a current world.  I was confronted with the black screen problem that OpalRuby and others have reported.  I quit out of Minecraft and tried again, this time hitting the "Force Update" button under the options menu and creating a new world instead of using an existing one.  Still a black screen.  Having been around the block a few times, we tried updating my Java (see above), deleting my bin file, and creating another new world.  Still a black screen!  However, this time, we saw a brief flash of error message on top of the black screen, and while it flashed by too fast for us to read it, it did leave a little vertical white stripe on the otherwise black Minecraft screen.  So clearly, something is still wrong, and Minecraft is trying to let me know, but the inky blackness is covering up the error message before I can read it.

For reference, the only other technical problem I've ever had in my history of playing Minecraft was the Done Loading error that was going around a few versions ago.  Curiously, when I fired up my old launcher (foolishly hoping that I could go back to playing Minecraft 1.7.3 again), I ended up getting the Done Loading error.  Maybe I can fix this the way I fixed that?  Shoot, now how did I fix the Done Loading error...

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
MiscellanyMan

Additional Developments: An attempt to see what happens when I play in browser via the Minecraft.net server yielded an all-white screen instead of an all-black screen.

OpalRuby
    OpalRuby

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:53 PM

View PostMiscellany, on 18 September 2011 - 12:34 AM, said:

I'm having a very similar issue.  Here's the breakdown:

Operating System: Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8
Java: Just updated it a couple of hours ago.
Internet Connection: Speedtest.net tells me that I'm getting 5.18 Mbps download speed, 0.71 Mbps upload speed.
Mods: None.  What can I say, I'm a purist.

How it Happened:
Before I tried upgrading to 1.8, I had successfully played Minecraft 1.7.3 for about an hour, with no technical difficulties aside from the fact that I wasn't able to log in.  "Login Failed" said my launcher, and it gave me the usual choice to Play Offline or Try Again (and obviously, I picked the former).

As I was playing, a friend came over, and asked why I hadn't upgraded to 1.8 yet.  Showing her my problems with logging in, she told me that I needed to upgrade my launcher.  I downloaded the new launcher from Minecraft.net, fired it up with no problem, and tried to open a current world.  I was confronted with the black screen problem that OpalRuby and others have reported.  I quit out of Minecraft and tried again, this time hitting the "Force Update" button under the options menu and creating a new world instead of using an existing one.  Still a black screen.  Having been around the block a few times, we tried updating my Java (see above), deleting my bin file, and creating another new world.  Still a black screen!  However, this time, we saw a brief flash of error message on top of the black screen, and while it flashed by too fast for us to read it, it did leave a little vertical white stripe on the otherwise black Minecraft screen.  So clearly, something is still wrong, and Minecraft is trying to let me know, but the inky blackness is covering up the error message before I can read it.

For reference, the only other technical problem I've ever had in my history of playing Minecraft was the Done Loading error that was going around a few versions ago.  Curiously, when I fired up my old launcher (foolishly hoping that I could go back to playing Minecraft 1.7.3 again), I ended up getting the Done Loading error.  Maybe I can fix this the way I fixed that?  Shoot, now how did I fix the Done Loading error...

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
MiscellanyMan

Additional Developments: An attempt to see what happens when I play in browser via the Minecraft.net server yielded an all-white screen instead of an all-black screen.
That in more detail describes my situation. I run Minecraft at another house, and it seems to be working fine there, but my computer over here is used more because of the scheduling issues between my two houses. I am a newbie at Minecraft, so I don't really know how to run a lower launcher. This is the first technical issue I have had, and there aren't any tech savvy people to help in my family. At this point I am crossing my fingers and hoping that it will miraculously fix itself, or I get some accurate help on this. If Minecraft writes you back, can you please inform me what their solution is?
~~~Thank you, Opal
:Notch: :Notch: :Notch: :Notch: :Notch: :Notch: :Notch: :Notch: :Notch: :Notch:
:SSSS: :SSSS: :SSSS: :SSSS: :SSSS: :SSSS: :SSSS: :SSSS: :SSSS: :SSSS: :SSSS:
:Pig: :Pig: :Pig: :Pig: :Pig: :Pig: :Pig: :Pig: :Pig: :Pig: :Pig:

Eik
    Eik

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:09 PM

View PostOpalRuby, on 18 September 2011 - 05:53 PM, said:

That in more detail describes my situation. I run Minecraft at another house, and it seems to be working fine there, but my computer over here is used more because of the scheduling issues between my two houses. I am a newbie at Minecraft, so I don't really know how to run a lower launcher. This is the first technical issue I have had, and there aren't any tech savvy people to help in my family. At this point I am crossing my fingers and hoping that it will miraculously fix itself, or I get some accurate help on this. If Minecraft writes you back, can you please inform me what their solution is?
~~~Thank you, Opal
:Notch: :Notch: :Notch: :Notch: :Notch: :Notch: :Notch: :Notch: :Notch: :Notch:
:SSSS: :SSSS: :SSSS: :SSSS: :SSSS: :SSSS: :SSSS: :SSSS: :SSSS: :SSSS: :SSSS:
:Pig: :Pig: :Pig: :Pig: :Pig: :Pig: :Pig: :Pig: :Pig: :Pig: :Pig:

Okay, so I'm having this same exact problem. :c

OpalRuby
    OpalRuby

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:00 AM

I know, not fun. We need to get someone who knows and accurate solution! I have tried many YouTube solutions, but none have been successful at all.

~~~~~Opal
:sponge: :sponge: :sponge: :sponge: :sponge: :sponge: :sponge: :sponge: :sponge:
:Logs^: :Logs^: :Logs^: :Logs^: :Logs^: :Logs^: :Logs^: :Logs^: :Logs^: :Logs^:  
:Lava: :Lava: :Lava: :Lava: :Lava: :Lava: :Lava: :Lava: :Lava: :Lava: :Lava:

okal
    okal

Glowstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3497 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:15 AM

The only known solution is upgrading to 10.6:

Minecraft 1.8 unplayable on Mac 10.5.8
&
Minecraft 1.8 on Mac OS X 10.5.8

Blaze927
    Blaze927

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Minecraft: Blaze927

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:19 AM

IMPORTANT:IM SO FRIKIN PISSED.Im sorry but this problem CANNOT be fixed.This was a downer to me and it probably is too everyone who is having this problem.:'( IM SO SAD!!!
Posted Image

Miscellany

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:12 AM

View Postepikal, on 19 September 2011 - 12:15 AM, said:

The only known solution is upgrading to 10.6:

Minecraft 1.8 unplayable on Mac 10.5.8
&
Minecraft 1.8 on Mac OS X 10.5.8

Well dang.  That stinks.  Let's hope Mojang manages to figure out a fix for this soon.

misterbk

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:45 AM

View PostMiscellany, on 19 September 2011 - 07:12 AM, said:

Well dang.  That stinks.  Let's hope Mojang manages to figure out a fix for this soon.

I don't know Mac that well, but can you obtain the 64-bit Java JRE?  Windows installations tend to all be using the 32-bit JRE, which is architecture-limited to become crashy when Minecraft RAM use goes over oh 1.5 to 1.7 gigs.  This problem will be the same for all 32-bit Java VMs, so it will most likely affect mac too.

If you haven't tried that solution, it may be worth looking into it.  Look for 64-bit JRE from Oracle (who bought Sun and Java) for OSX.

On Windows I launch using this line:
javaw.exe -Xmx8192M -Xms4096M -jar minecraft.jar

On OSX the line will probably be similar but without the .exe after javaw, and it might just be java (and not javaw), but the Xmx and Xms options should still be there.

Set -Xmx to as much RAM as you can and Xms to half what you set for Xmx.

Of course this only helps if you have 64-bit OSX, but again there I'm in unknown territory.  If you haven't tried this yet it's worth a look to see if it's possible on OSX, because your behavior matches my crashes that this solution fixed.

Blaze927
    Blaze927

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Minecraft: Blaze927

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:02 AM

This sucksssssss :/
Posted Image

percy795
  • Minecraft: percy795

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:09 AM

I'm using Snow Leopard and it runs fine, you don't need to upgrade to Loin if its to much, and the good thing is that since Lion came out, snow leopard becomes cheaper, but its definitely a downer that you gotta upgrade your OS. Sorry about that.

Sko
    Sko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2516 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:56 PM

Amaranth provides a fix. Please plus his post as these trolls managed to get his thread locked. Idiots.