• Members
  • 321 posts
  • Minecraft: lu3mm3l

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:41 AM

NEINedit
NEIN edit isn't NBTedit
Open, Edit & Save NBT Files on Mac OS X

About this project
I wrote NEINedit because I was coding a class to read the NBT format. Since I had to read & write stuff with that class to test its function I wrote this small editor. Let's hope this will help someone.

Development status
At this moment I'm focussing on TreasureChest v4. After that I'll work on this again if there are enough download until then.

Screenshot
Posted Image

WARNING
Since this is the first version I'm handing out there might be a number of errors. I tested this a LOT and it seems to work just fine but the devil's in the detail. Please backup your original files before you use this. Also: If you edit files of your minecraft save, please backup the whole savegame so it doesn't get corrupted. I wrote a handy application for that. Take a look at the thread for TreasureChest :Logs^:

System requirements
Mac with Intel or PowerPC Processor and Mac OS X Tiger (10.4) or higher

Downloads
Download NEINedit 0.3 Beta (4.53 MB / DMG) Universal Binary (10.5+)
Download NEINedit 0.3 Beta (3.99 MB /DMG) Universal Binary (10.4)
The version for 10.5 (and upwards) features some new cocoa components which only work with OS X Leopard and higher.

Because you (hopefully) already paid for Minecraft I'm not going to charge you anything for this. And because it's nice to offer something for free :Logs^: But since everything takes some time and I don't get paid for this, you could do me a favor and donate. How much, that's your decision. Every donator will be listed somewhere and if there are some suggestions posted with a donation I'll look into that first. If it fits the app of course.
Posted Image

Current Features
- Read & Write NBT Files (.nbt, .dat, .dat_old)
- Display the whole thing (with TAG infos for every entry)
- Change values for: Byte, Short, Int, Long, Float, Double & String

So your basic set of things you would like to change around. The "roadmap" for the next versions...

Future Features
- Change and export/import values from Byte_Arrays
- Change names of named tags
- Change TAG Type
- Change target content of TAG_List
- Add TAGs to a TAG_List or a TAG_Compound
- Delete TAGs
- Change TAGs
- Display more data

Installation
Open up the DMG and drag the application into your application folder.

Would you like to know more...?
Visit the official NEINedit website for notes & version history.

Register or log in to remove.

dstroud
    dstroud

Carpenter

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:01 AM

Hello, thank you or making this tool! I am using this to open up player .dat files to change player locations. Unfortunately, it does not seem that changes to the .dat files are saved when I perform a Save. When I Save As and then give the .dat file a new name, it does seem to work, however.

G-Man
    G-Man

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • Minecraft: lu3mm3l

Posted 31 October 2010 - 02:51 AM

dstroud said:

Unfortunately, it does not seem that changes to the .dat files are saved when I perform a Save. When I Save As and then give the .dat file a new name, it does seem to work, however.

Damn. I'll upload a fixed version when I'm back home (tomorrow or monday). The code is there but it seems I forgot to link to that function. Use "Save As..." until then. Thank you for that :)

capsar
    capsar

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • Minecraft: capsar

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:42 PM

i want to edit my health but i cant changes it.
plz help
Posted Image

Fortune188

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:34 PM

Im confused as to what this does.
It seems like every .dat file inside the minecraft folder has the same entities to change.
is it possible to change the contents of your inventory with this?
Posted Image
Friendship is very magical

hamburger_helper

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:04 PM

This is great! I've been using it to change the starting position of players who grief our server >:iapprove:

Gark
    Gark

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:13 AM

Excellent work sir! I supremely enjoy your editor and your homage to GNU! Many thanks for your efforts.

zace66
    zace66

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:53 PM

This is really great.  The  open dialogue boxes always revert to the top.  Is there any chance when you press OPEN that it can go to the same location as the last time you clicked open.
And also the main screen is in english, but the file selector box, once opened has the button labelled in german.

Keep up the good work.

solomon_ears

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:12 AM

this is the most awesome editor ever thank you so much i will advertise this to every one i know.

Crunkatog

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:32 PM

Any chance this will allow me to change the seed of an existing map?

We run a small server and have a randomly generated seed we've been building on for months. Then 1.5 came out, and our spawn area (that has many nice canals and waterways) has now frozen up. We are at an impasse between players who want to cover the canals, and those who want them open to the environment, and those who would just fill them in with dirt and put railways down.

I suggested it might be possible to edit the seed without changing the pre-existing terrain, buildings, etc. We found a seed that works for our world, has warm friendly biomes for a wide margin around spawn. Nobody objects to chunk border height issues in new explored terrain.

But someone mentioned they thought it might destroy the level if you change the seed. The existing terrain will be destroyed or corrupted? Seems unlikely...

At any rate this would be the first time I use this program (I'm usually on Windows 7 64bit but I have a friend with a Mac who can help) and if it's possible, how do you actually edit the seed? Thanks

edit: if there's a PC-compatible NBT file editor that will also let me change the seed, that would be better but I have searched and not found one. (That's updated for 1.7.3, anyway.)

Posted Image

nixx62
    nixx62

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • Minecraft: nixx62

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:35 PM

doesnt save
Posted Image
why so small signitures?

chuk155
    chuk155

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Minecraft: chuk155

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:08 PM

This program Is Awesome!
I can finally hack the game to the max!
Having the ability to change your experience, See what seed a map has (especially on old levels), and change the game mode is just what I want to do.

Thanks and many diamonds to you!

STAGDAGE
    STAGDAGE

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Minecraft: STAGDAGE
  • Xbox:Stagdage

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:27 AM

Can anyone please tell me why it wont let me save the file, it tells me it is saved but it then reverts back almost instantly, any help???

fireymaster6
  • Minecraft: Fireymaster6

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:37 AM

It wont edit my level for some reason it just isn't working... HELP!!!
Posted Image

EvanFireheart

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:46 AM

THANK God YOU ARE AMAZING I LOVETHIS SOOOOOOOO MUCH

SkyKiller63

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:04 AM

OH EM GEE THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!

SkyKiller63

Posted 30 October 2011 - 03:59 PM

View PostFortune188, on 26 November 2010 - 10:34 PM, said:

Im confused as to what this does.
It seems like every .dat file inside the minecraft folder has the same entities to change.
is it possible to change the contents of your inventory with this?
just use either too many items mod, or get invgrid. :)

View PostG-Man, on 31 October 2010 - 02:51 AM, said:

Damn. I'll upload a fixed version when I'm back home (tomorrow or monday). The code is there but it seems I forgot to link to that function. Use "Save As..." until then. Thank you for that :)
This was posted a year ago... When are you going to be able to fix it?!

nivangerow

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:26 PM

I want to be able to change my XP on my server, however it says it cannot read the dat file or something (I think its in German)

RockTom
    RockTom

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:18 PM

I want to add XP to my singleplayer but it never works any help?

nowonmai666
  • Minecraft: nowonmai

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:15 PM

Hi!

If you decide to continue development of this, it'd be great if you could add the ability to add tags. I'm trying to find a way to add generatorVersion:1 to my level.dat so that I can get jungles in my old world.

Thanks!

Posted Image