Ironman Challenge Series:
Four Oh FouR
The bitch is back!
That's right, everybody, here comes the 1.8 mutant spawn of the 404 challenge! The idea is simple: Get your ass into the cave, then don't die. What makes it actually not simple at all? It's a giant cave comprised of 4 intersecting ravines, massive lava pools, and countless cave branches in every direction! Did I mention there's 2 dungeons on each side of where you enter the cave? Good luck with those. Well, enough of my pointless drivel and let's get down to the details!
UPDATE: As of the 1.9 prerelease, the terrain generation has changed, and this will not work. You will see the same terrain at the entry point, but it appears that the multiple ravines are not there any more, leaving a single one which is pretty common. I'll be updating the download link to include a larger generated area so you can explore the area and surrounding caves to an extent. So, you can download this map and play on 1.9 if you want to use the new features.
Mist3rv33's playlist: (a great introduction to the challenge) http://www.youtube.c...DF7BD3D63BC5D4D
Enter the 'Four Oh FouR' cave and don't die. Claim victory over it's depths, or die trying!
You will be swept do the deepest depths of the cave (again!) and face countless enemies and the wrath of the cave!
For those familiar with the original 404 Challenge, this will be very similar, but this time without the points system, and slightly less harsh restrictions! OK, not really less harsh. There are also many different levels of difficulty with their own unique restrictions. If you have ideas for more, post them and I may add it to the list!
How to set up the challenge
Download World: (Play using any minecraft version!)
Download the world (click "skip ad" on top right corner to get to download page) and unzip it to your .minecraft/saves folder. You will be placed in front of a half dug hole leading down to the cave. Gather your resources during the day, then head back here at dusk to finish the hole and enter the cave.
[This also goes toward buying me a drink and encourages me to do more challenges in the future! Thanks!]
Create Seed World: (only works in 1.8 or 1.8.1)
1. Create a new world. Click "More World Options..."
2. In the Seed box, type: Four Oh FouR [Case sensitive. Remember the capital R at the end!]
3. When it's getting dark on the first day, find your way to the entrance point at [-16, 65, 357] (F3 to see coordinates), which is North-West from spawn, and dig a staircase down and to the west toward the sunset. You will break into the save after about 10 steps.
4. Dig back to the water and let it flow down into the cave. Ride the water all the way down to the bottom! There's a nice alcove for you to die in, too.
1. You have 1 day above ground to gather supplies. You may not go into any caves beyond sun lit areas to do so.
2. Once night falls, you must dig into the cave and enter it. You may not go back to the surface (or break through to let in sun light) again for any reason. You live in the cave. You die in the cave.
3.* NO TORCHES! Other sources of light (except sun light) are allowed.
5. Only mine ores that are visible. You can dig around a visible ore to get the entire deposit, but no branch/strip mining allowed. Any ores you find while digging a shelter can be kept.
6. Difficulty must be on Normal or Hard. Hard difficulty gets you a 1.5x point multiplier.
7.* 1 life. If you die, the game is over.
8. No inventory edits or 'cheating' of any kind.
*Optional variations for increased/decreased difficulty apply. See below for more info.
Variations for the faint of heart.
1. Let there be light! You still cannot bring torches into the cave, as your wood got wet on the way down and is useless, but once you have grown a tree (without bone meal) you can use that wood for torches. Maximum of 64 torches.
2. 1Up! You can get 1 extra life if you make a bed, sleep in it in the cave, and respawn there when you die.
Achievement points are how you keep track of your progress, and size yourself up to everyone else! Even during the first day, there are chances to start racking up the points, and many involve first getting something on the surface. The mob kills are counted twice and only twice per mob, and every other achievement can be counted only once.
First-ish Blood: Only the first 2 kills count, and after those 2 you don't get any more points.
Zombie: 2 each
Skeleton: 5 each
Spider: 5 each
Venomous Spider: 10 each
Creeper: 10 each
Enderman: 15 each
Zombie Pigman: 10 each
Ghast: 20 each
Maximum mob points: 154
Collection: Place on the ground (and never pick up) 1 block of the following:
Wood plank: A pat on the back.
Lapis Lazuli: 15
All 5 (Yes, 5) blocks next to each other: 15 points
Get a creeper to blow up next to all 5 blocks: 50 points!
Complete leather/iron/gold/diamond armor sets: 10/10/20/50 points
Bow and 64 arrows: 20 points
32 glass: 10 points
Place glowstone in the Overworld: 15 points
5 Pumpkins: 5 points
20 sugar cane: 10 points
30 wheat in 1 stack: 15 points
Asking For It: Wear a pumpkin on your head on your way into the cave. 10 points.
Guard Duty: Go back to where you entered the cave and eliminate or nullify the 2 dungeon spawners. Can be done when you first enter the cave if you're feeling brave. 30 points
Leap of Faith: Sprint jump across a ravine gap (15+ blocks high) of 4 or more tiles wide. 15 points
Mighty Booting: Hit a mob across any ravine gap (10+ blocks high) without killing it. 30 points
Greener Grass: Take a trip to the Nether. 15 points
Center of Attention: Make your home at the intersection of the 3 main ravines HERE. [-5, 25-35, 410] 10 points
Thatssss a nice... wait, where'd you go? Build a completely hidden door using sticky pistons. 30 points
Unnecessary Contraption: Build a cobblestone generator that spans a lava pool. 20 points
....Now what? Get an Ender Pearl by killing an Enderman by hand. 20 points
Bonus Achievements (must have 50 points to unlock these)
Ravine Runner: Never build a shelter that mobs can't get into. 20 points.
Reusing Old Achievements for 20, Alex: Never wear armor. 20 points.
Living Dangerously: Play on hard difficulty. 1.5x point total.
RPG Style: Using xIGBClutchIx's XP Level Mod (download it here), score 5 points multiplied by your level when you die. Max level: 20 (100 points)
If you have ideas for new achievements, feel free to post them. More will likely be added over time, so check back later to have another go for more points!
My second run:
Part 2: (commentary)
Mist3rv33's playlist: http://www.youtube.c...DF7BD3D63BC5D4D
Edited by Neoxx, 25 September 2011 - 05:43 PM.