• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

F3 Menu

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

millatime21

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:38 AM

What does everything mean when you press F3 on your computer? For those that don't know what this is, I uploaded a picture.

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Chocolate_Bunny

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:39 AM

Frames Per Second is alll i recognize lol
Give Me a Cookie Plz :D
Posted Image

Vaylen said:

Re: Expectation/Hopes for Hell?
First, you go through the portal and then Justin Bieber comes out of nowhere and gives you a lap dance.

makersmark said:

The interent: Where men are Women, women are men and kids are FBI agents

Xaiier
    Xaiier

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1085 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:40 AM

It tells you some basic details about the game.
Posted Image

Fahrium

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:41 AM

Debug.

millatime21

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:56 AM

I'm thinking the E is related to the number of enemies? But what do the other values mean?

index2010

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:35 AM

Chocolate_Bunny said:

Frames Per Second is alll i recognize lol

me too!

Posted Image

Banner Made  by Me. Please Support The mod.

DarkNemesisV2

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:27 AM

P. Number of Particles (I think mainly smoke and block debris).
E. Number of entities (mobs, blocks, etc.).
I. Number of invisible entities (as in, not in view or I think also blocked by camera).

E, F, and C I think have to do with the number of visible chunks... or maybe blocks?

ScottHorn

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:49 PM

*first post, woohoo* (been lurking for a while)

Anyways, this is something I've been interested in since I first saw minecraft. All the videos had that F3 data constantly overlaid on them. From what I understand, there used to be an option to keep it up permanently. I wanted to be able to keep it there without holding F3 all the time. I was told it was no longer possible, but I found that if you hold F3, press F10, let go of F3, and the press F10 again, it stays.

Now on to what the numbers mean (as far as I can tell):

FPS - obvious, frames per second. Mine goes as low as 8 when first spawning in a newly created level, to over 200 when walking around in a relatively empty flat grassy area in an existing level.

Chunk Updates - I'm guessing it's how many chunks are currently being created, changed, loaded, unloaded, or some combination thereof. It's strange though, that you can be standing still in a world that has been fully created, and randomly see a few chunk updates here and there over the course of a few minutes. I'm guessing that's when mobs move from one chunk to the next.

"C" - This number starts at zero when a new world is created. It quickly increases at the same rate that "E" decreases. This leads me to believe that "C" stands for created, and "E" might stand for empty. That also leads me to believe that the "F" number stands for full.

"F" and "E" - "F" and "E" seem to be inversely related, and change very quickly in relation to the other numbers. That is, if F increases, E decreases, and vice versa. To me, that implies that F and E together represent the number of chunks or blocks or entities waiting to be "calculated" or something like that.

The way I imagine it is that when you create a world, it creates a certain number of chunks around you, C increases as these chunks are created (generating terrain). Near the end of this process (I've noticed that "C" stops at different numbers for different worlds, probably also related to view distance) the "E" number, which is very large to start with, begins decreasing, and the "F" number, starts increasing. I think that basically it creates the chunks, does processes like spawning mobs and calculating how water and lava behave in the chunks immediately surrounding you (increasing "C", decreasing "E", increasing "F"), until it reaches a certain limit. Then "F" and "E" start increasing and decreasing respectively as it spends idle time calculating the same things for chunks farther away. Eventually "E" and "F" reach values that are nearly equal. As you move around, at first "E" increases, as new chunks are loaded but not yet calculated or spawned in, whereas "F" decreases as old, spawned in chunks are unloaded.

As for the numbers in the third and fourth row (besides P, which I assume in ping), I have no idea as of yet.

Anyone got any input or corrections?

Scott

OrobinHood

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:05 PM

ScottHorn said:

*first post, woohoo* (been lurking for a while)

Anyways, this is something I've been interested in since I first saw minecraft. All the videos had that F3 data constantly overlaid on them. From what I understand, there used to be an option to keep it up permanently. I wanted to be able to keep it there without holding F3 all the time. I was told it was no longer possible, but I found that if you hold F3, press F10, let go of F3, and the press F10 again, it stays.

Now on to what the numbers mean (as far as I can tell):

FPS - obvious, frames per second. Mine goes as low as 8 when first spawning in a newly created level, to over 200 when walking around in a relatively empty flat grassy area in an existing level.

Chunk Updates - I'm guessing it's how many chunks are currently being created, changed, loaded, unloaded, or some combination thereof. It's strange though, that you can be standing still in a world that has been fully created, and randomly see a few chunk updates here and there over the course of a few minutes. I'm guessing that's when mobs move from one chunk to the next.

"C" - This number starts at zero when a new world is created. It quickly increases at the same rate that "E" decreases. This leads me to believe that "C" stands for created, and "E" might stand for empty. That also leads me to believe that the "F" number stands for full.

"F" and "E" - "F" and "E" seem to be inversely related, and change very quickly in relation to the other numbers. That is, if F increases, E decreases, and vice versa. To me, that implies that F and E together represent the number of chunks or blocks or entities waiting to be "calculated" or something like that.

The way I imagine it is that when you create a world, it creates a certain number of chunks around you, C increases as these chunks are created (generating terrain). Near the end of this process (I've noticed that "C" stops at different numbers for different worlds, probably also related to view distance) the "E" number, which is very large to start with, begins decreasing, and the "F" number, starts increasing. I think that basically it creates the chunks, does processes like spawning mobs and calculating how water and lava behave in the chunks immediately surrounding you (increasing "C", decreasing "E", increasing "F"), until it reaches a certain limit. Then "F" and "E" start increasing and decreasing respectively as it spends idle time calculating the same things for chunks farther away. Eventually "E" and "F" reach values that are nearly equal. As you move around, at first "E" increases, as new chunks are loaded but not yet calculated or spawned in, whereas "F" decreases as old, spawned in chunks are unloaded.

As for the numbers in the third and fourth row (besides P, which I assume in ping), I have no idea as of yet.

Anyone got any input or corrections?

Scott
all the time it took you to write that made you not first post LOL but yay we have an explanation!
Envisage 24/7 is my server, find it at www.envisage247.com :)

Eternalist

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:10 PM

OrobinHood said:

ScottHorn said:

-Wall of text snip-
all the time it took you to write that made you not first post LOL but yay we have an explanation!
He meant his first post. Not the first post in the thread.
Posted Image

ScottHorn

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:04 PM

Thanks for the clarification Eternalist. I don't see how the scenario he proposed could possibly happen anyways.

So, who has some info on the other numbers? or corrections to what I said? I'm really curious.

IE, when I first start a new world, or load an existing one, I immediately hit esc, and watch those numbers. I wait till everything has "settled down", and "E" and "F" are equal, or almost equal, before I start playing. I find that pretty much eliminates any lag or jumpiness that I might otherwise experience. Otherwise, I find that even after a few minutes of play, minecraft is still trying to load all the chunks around my spawn point.

millatime21

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:26 PM

ScottHorn said:

Thanks for the clarification Eternalist. I don't see how the scenario he proposed could possibly happen anyways.

So, who has some info on the other numbers? or corrections to what I said? I'm really curious.

IE, when I first start a new world, or load an existing one, I immediately hit esc, and watch those numbers. I wait till everything has "settled down", and "E" and "F" are equal, or almost equal, before I start playing. I find that pretty much eliminates any lag or jumpiness that I might otherwise experience. Otherwise, I find that even after a few minutes of play, minecraft is still trying to load all the chunks around my spawn point.

Thanks for the contribution, ScottHorn! I find that if the surrounding chunks aren't fully loaded when you start moving, this is when chunk errors happen. At least in my experience, this is the case.