• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Knytt
    Knytt

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1143 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:28 PM

Keep in mind that Minecraft Alpha is HUUUGE. The big base that you so proudly built up isn't even a tiny dot on the overall map. (Well, the possible map - it's not all generated at once.)

This is why getting lost is a serious danger.

I've seen LPers get lost. Some has miraculously found their way back, but others were eaten by spiders before they returned to their home base, losing everything they carried with them (which usually is a lot).

EDIT:
There is an very easy remedy to getting lost if your home base happens to be at your spawn point: Bring or build a compass (from redstone and iron). (I never thought of that while writing this guide, as I'm a luddite, who think that using compasses and similar "technologies" will spoil the fun of the game.)

1. Mark your base.
It's recommended that you build a pillar of 32-64 blocks, and put torches on the top, either on top of your base, on on top of a nearby mountain peak. This is invaluable in locating your base if you ever get lost. When exploring the surface, keep in mind where this waypoint is in relation to you. If you can't see it anymore, go back to where you can see it from, and build another waypoint there to navigate by.

2. Never bring more than you need with you when you're going exploring on the surface.
Getting lost is worse than falling prey to monsters, because you can always pick up your stuff if you get killed in familiar ground, but not when you die while lost.

3. When you encounter unfamiliar terrain where there should be familiar terrain, immediately freeze.
The familiar terrain hasn't wandered off somewhere nearby - you can't go look for it over the next hill or around the bend. Conclude that you're lost, and stop.

4. Go back to where you were absolutely certain that you came from.
This should be just a short distance. If you start seeing unfamiliar terrain again, stop!

5. Look up at the sky and the position of the sun. Ask yourself: Will it be getting dark soon? If it will, start preparing a shelter.
Yes, here, at the absolutely nearest cliffside. Searching for your home while encountering new terrain, will be really distracting and puzzling, and before you know it, the place will be swarming with monsters who will eat you and make you lose all your stuff. If you're in doubt, press i and survey your stuff, and realize that death just turned very serious.

6. Survey the area from above.
You should always have some means of building a stack with you, usually dirt blocks. If there isn't a mountain top immediately nearby, use them now. Build a stack high enough for you to look over any surrounding peaks. From there, set your viewing distance to maximum so that you can see properly, never mind how horrible the lag is.

7. Build a waypoint.
If you still cannot spot familiar terrain, it may take some time to locate your base again, so mark the point you are in with a stack that can be seen from afar, and an arrow pointing at the direction that you believe that your real home is at. This is now your temporary "being lost base". From here you can mount search expeditions to go look for familiar terrain, always returning to this waypoint if you can not find it.

If you've been lost for several days, start marking the surrounding mountain peaks with torches and signs pointing towards your "lost waypoint". If you expand the area surrounding where you got lost, you will sooner or later find your base again. Flattening any protruding terrain might help keep the landscape simple as well.

9. Die.
If you've wandered so far away from your base that you still can't find your home base within a reasonable amount of days, open your inventory one more time, look at all the diamond and other valuables that you amassed, and remember them as the price for the lesson that you are about to learn about going off aimlessly into the wild. Then craft a chest next to the "lost beacon", in the hopes that you'll some day find this place again, and put all of your stuff in it to keep it safe. Then go kill yourself. (Creepers are quick and painless - just don't let it explode next to the chest.) Before whenever you set out exploring the surface in the future, remember all the stuff you lost, and the importance of not getting lost.

Register or log in to remove.

CarrotShticks

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:31 PM

Good guide.

Isn't there also a program which generates a kind of birds-eye view map that shows all of the area you've been too?
I'm sure if you use that, you can see where you've wondered off from, and you can turn right around and go back to your base (which is hopefully large enough for you to see)... Or you will at least find a path you've made.

Paragraph
  • Minecraft: Indent

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:33 PM

Bookmarked.
For Kralnor!

Nemo1
    Nemo1

Carpenter

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:39 PM

CarrotShticks said:

Good guide.

Isn't there also a program which generates a kind of birds-eye view map that shows all of the area you've been too?
I'm sure if you use that, you can see where you've wondered off from, and you can turn right around and go back to your base (which is hopefully large enough for you to see)... Or you will at least find a path you've made.
There's also another where u can change ur spawn point and your current location, but thats no fun is it :P

lycanox
    lycanox

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:43 PM

You forgot the most obvious solution.

Which is just to dig for some Iron and red stone to create an compass. And then pack up your base and go home.

Or to only go exploring following an ocean shore. Or while leaving an trail of torches.

Knytt
    Knytt

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1143 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:49 PM

lycanox said:

You forgot the most obvious solution.

Which is just to dig for some Iron and red stone to create an compass. And then pack up your base and go home.

Or to only go exploring following an ocean shore. Or while leaving an trail of torches.

Redstone can be found VERY far down. (I haven't reached it yet.) ...but yes, I didn't think of that. :Diamond:

Atticus Scivan

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:57 PM

This is a very good post, good read for those who are new or long time players that have grown over-confident.

Gustave0

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:48 PM

These are pretty useful tips.  Got any for getting lost underground?  I rarely get lost on the surface, but once I got so lost in a cave that I ended up having to punch my way straight to the surface just to save all the loot I mined.

Blacksmoke16

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:52 PM

thanks m8....im more of a building type....but thanks anyway ill remember them if i start to go out and look around

Morty
    Morty

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:02 PM

What I do in these situations, I build an arrow of blocks (--->), and put torches on top of it, then I log off, use a cartographer tool and check the general direction of my base. Thats when Im feeling cheap :o

And God said:
∇ • E = ρ / εo; ∇ • B = 0; ∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t; ∇ x B = μoJ + μoεo∂E/∂t;
and there was light.

Tomiz
    Tomiz

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Members
  • 1286 posts
  • Minecraft: Tomiz

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:05 PM

Morty said:

What I do in these situations, I build an arrow of blocks (--->), and put torches on top of it, then I log off, use a cartographer tool and check the general direction of my base. Thats when Im feeling cheap ^_^
Well, I'd love to use cartographer, too, but every time I press RENDER button, it just freezes :D
Posted Image
(BTW, yes, I'm a guy)
Posted Image
GOTCHA!!(Click the img to see my Youtube channel! o.O)

And yes, I am addicted to music, is there something bad about it?

p0rtalplayer

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:10 PM

Gustave0 said:

These are pretty useful tips.  Got any for getting lost underground?  I rarely get lost on the surface, but once I got so lost in a cave that I ended up having to punch my way straight to the surface just to save all the loot I mined.
My friend did that, and he punched his way right up into his front yard :SSSS:
Posted Image

Blacksmoke16

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:56 AM

p0rtalplayer said:

Gustave0 said:

My friend did that, and he punched his way right up into his front yard :)

lol i almost never get lost underground though......maybe once

ohaidar
    ohaidar

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:43 PM

Very useful guide. I just so happened to be exploring without a compass and am currently *still* inexpicably lost, so this should come in handy.

My own personal way of finding home however is using Cartograph, as it's essentially a map that tells me where I am, where I've been and where I should go. It's not a recommended method however, as without good map-finding skills and a sense of direction you will end up more lost than before.

Obviously that happened so...

AUSSIE_Mousey

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:52 PM

Very well written guide.

Certainly beats stumbling around aimlessly and inevitably getting your face mauled off by something. :iapprove:

UnstoppableDrew

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:53 PM

Gustave0 said:

When I'm wandering around a deep extensive cave network, I've taken to leaving double torches at key junctures to indicate the path back. You could also make signs and place them to indicate which path leads back to the surface. If I'm really lost and keep going down the same dead ends, I'll start knocking down the torches so I don't go that way again.

stellardawn

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:58 PM

hahahaha, just make a damn compass :D
Posted Image

Tricky-sd

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:53 PM

stellardawn said:

hahahaha, just make a damn compass :GoldBar:
You assume people's homes are at the spawn point?

Whilst that's a smart move it's not necessarily the case. Especially when Biomes come and folks might want to explore for a suitably location before settlig down in a new world. I think this guide is genuinely handy untill we have a dynamic compass.
We can be like they are,
Come on baby,
Don't fear the creeper,

Michael Chandra

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:36 PM

Tricky-sd said:

stellardawn said:

hahahaha, just make a damn compass :P

Whilst that's a smart move it's not necessarily the case. Especially when Biomes come and folks might want to explore for a suitably location before settlig down in a new world. I think this guide is genuinely handy untill we have a dynamic compass.
You could use Portals for that, to link Biome houses to the spawn point.

Knytt
    Knytt

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1143 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:39 PM

Michael Chandra said:

Tricky-sd said:

stellardawn said:

hahahaha, just make a damn compass :P

You could use Portals for that, to link Biome houses to the spawn point.

What to do when you're lost in Hell:

1. Scream
2. Pray
3. Cry
4. Have tea
5. Die