Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Can't Play on Mac OS X 10.5.8


  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1

Kobra715

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:35 AM

So ya, I'm on a Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8 and I am completely unable to play 1.8.  I go to create a new world or start an existing world, and the screen goes black.  After a little bit, a message pops up, but goes away before I can read any of it. Not much more too it, just this stuff here.

Register or log in to remove.

#2

werwe56
    werwe56

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 452 posts
  • Location: land of sand

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:39 AM

i dont think that its that you have a mac. i have a version 10.6.3 running snow leaprod, i works fine.
did you mess aruond with you bin?
trolls tread where fools dare not go

#3

res34
    res34

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:40 AM

View PostKobra715, on 15 September 2011 - 03:35 AM, said:

So ya, I'm on a Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8 and I am completely unable to play 1.8.  I go to create a new world or start an existing world, and the screen goes black.  After a little bit, a message pops up, but goes away before I can read any of it. Not much more too it, just this stuff here.


I'm getting that problem as well, and I'm on it as well. And now I can't seem to be able to log online as well, though that might be unrelated.

#4

Kobra715

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:41 AM

No, I've tried starting a new minecraft folder and using my existing one.  And I don't think the Mac is the problem, I think its that I'm on Leopard.

#5

res34
    res34

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:41 AM

What is "Snow Leopard"? I've been hearing that mentioned.


P.S.

How do we upgrade to "Snow Leopard"?

#6

Kobra715

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:42 AM

Leopard is 10.5, Snow Leopard is 10.6, Lion is 10.7.
Snow Leopard can be upgraded to by buying it for $30 from the Mac online store.

#7

DavidisDave

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:43 AM

View PostKobra715, on 15 September 2011 - 03:41 AM, said:

No, I've tried starting a new minecraft folder and using my existing one.  And I don't think the Mac is the problem, I think its that I'm on Leopard.
Check this forum post http://www.minecraft...necraft-pc-too/
It's very informative.

PS I'm having the same problem too. It seems snow leopard is the answer.

#8

Patchumz
    Patchumz

    Lapis Lazuli Collector

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 971 posts
  • Location: Wonderland
  • Minecraft: Patchumz

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:47 AM

Lion is a better answer, everyone should be on Lion with its massive improvements. But I understand some people not being able to :P. That being said, yes Minecraft no longer supports a dead operating system.
El Psy Congroo.

#9

Kobra715

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:47 AM

Well, that sucks.  How quickly do you get Snow Leopard after you buy it?
Also, can you go directly from Leopard to Lion or do you have to buy Snow Leopard?

#10

res34
    res34

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:08 AM

How do you get either Snow Leopard or Lion?

#11

scottieboy_jr

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:14 AM

View PostKobra715, on 15 September 2011 - 03:42 AM, said:

Leopard is 10.5, Snow Leopard is 10.6, Lion is 10.7.
Snow Leopard can be upgraded to by buying it for $30 from the Mac online store.
can you buy snow lepard without having lepard

#12

Hego555
    Hego555

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:15 AM

OMG, why do people even care about the Mac OSX 10.6,10.7 they suck they rip you off, no difference between them, just 1 or  2 new apps!

#13

Kobra715

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:25 AM

Res: The mac online store.
Scottie: Go to your "About This Mac" in the start menu. What version do you have?
Hego:Because we now can't play Minecraft on 10.5.

#14

res34
    res34

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:27 AM

Anyone here with a Mac OS X (but no snow leopard) unable to join online when starting minecraft?

#15

Grichecth

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:31 AM

I"m running 10.5.8 but everything is working lovely. Are you running a clean jar file? Is this happening when connecting to a server, single player or just when Minecraft launches? Do you see anything after the launcher? If yes, when does the black start? (eg. before or after the Mojang logo?).

Hopefully we can get you working right!

#16

res34
    res34

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:32 AM

View PostGrichecth, on 15 September 2011 - 11:31 AM, said:

I"m running 10.5.8 but everything is working lovely. Are you running a clean jar file? Is this happening when connecting to a server, single player or just when Minecraft launches? Do you see anything after the launcher? If yes, when does the black start? (eg. before or after the Mojang logo?).

Hopefully we can get you working right!

When attempting to start either a new world or join a multiplayer server.

#17

Kobra715

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:43 AM

Yes, what Res said.

#18

jimjo1997

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:54 AM

help us all its the new java thats it and now i and a lot of people on macs cant play mine craft

#19

werwe56
    werwe56

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 452 posts
  • Location: land of sand

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:57 AM

i have no idea how to help. my mac works fine
trolls tread where fools dare not go

#20

zeel
    zeel

    Lapis Lazuli Collector

  • Members
  • 991 posts
  • Location: Ohio
  • Minecraft: zeel01

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:09 AM

My schools has some macs that are 10.5.8, MC 1.8.1 works just fine.


- Make sure that you have the latest Java update installed (using OSXs built in updater)
- Back up your saves
- Delete minecraft folder
- attempt to download a fresh install
- If you can not log in, use the embeded version on minecraft.net to download it, then try to play with the local client


Aside from that I know nothing about macs, I'm a PC.
Don't forget to tell Mojang that you. . .

Posted Image