• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Ender totem

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

Poll: Ender totem (93 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think?

1. Yes add the Ender totem. (68 votes [73.12%])

Percentage of vote: 73.12%

2. No that is a stupid idea! (25 votes [26.88%])

Percentage of vote: 26.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

zeel
    zeel

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 991 posts
  • Minecraft: zeel01

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:56 PM

Get Satisfaction post : http://gsfn.us/t/2fopq

I was reading through a thread that was complaining about how endermen can destroy stuff, and people don't want to have them pick up blocks. Other people flamed back about how the added challenge is good, just build a mote, and the complainers didn't like how motes look. . . blah blah blah. . .

Guess what? they were all right! and all very wrong. . .

Someone mentioned the idea to craft something with ender pearls, that would help, but nothing came of the comment.

SO!

Let us craft: "Ender totem"

::  :Diamond:  ::
::  :wood: ::
::  :wood: ::

(diamond is a pearl)
(perhaps stone version as well?)

This placeable object will cause all endermen within 16 blocks to telleport outside that area. And will prevent them from spawning in that area.  

This is the best solution, since it fits with the nature of the game (crafting) it gives us a crafting use for ender pearls, and the totem can be hidden underground so that your enderman repelant isn't obtrusive like a mote can be.

To protect a large area you will need lots of them, so you will need to kill lots of endermen. This means it isn't OP.

They would basically look like a ender pearl on top of a single fence post. You could put them on top of fence posts to make them taller. I would suggest that they take up two vertical blocks, but look like 1.5.

EDIT:
As it has come up, I will add: Endermen need a combat buff, more HP, better attack/throwing blocks. Endermen are weak as can be, and while they are incredibly annoying when you don't even see them, there massive list of vulnerabilities would be compounded by the Ender tortem. So were this item to be added (or even if it is not) Endermen must be far more powerful mobs.

Furthermore the new nerf placed on block picking abilities is ridiculous, this does not really fix the problem, since people still build dirt houses, and now we have lost a great portion of a fun game element. Give the endermen back there power, make them tougher, and let use craft our own protection.
Don't forget to tell Mojang that you. . .

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

DannyDebner
  • Minecraft: iFanboy

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:58 PM

I like it! But it also should have some intelligence as to know where to put the endearment. Like not in your house where you're headed? :)

BrokenEye
    BrokenEye

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2282 posts
  • Minecraft: BrokenEye

Its not a problem at all, actually. Enders can't pick up player-placed blocks. Only the ones that were there naturally when you spawned.

Just saying.
Posted Image
"Your "reality", sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever" — Baron Munchhausen

linkrock4
  • Minecraft: linkrock4

Id like this to happen, but make it that ... enderman cant go in the range ( 10 blocks in each side lets say? ) And also if u look at an enderman and it comes in the totems range it can still attack you and take blocks... so dont look at enderman lol. The totem would be to keep it away from your house lets say... or whatever you want it to keep safe :P maybe a chest? i dont know! lol But awesome idea :D
Posted Image

Jayria
    Jayria

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 694 posts
  • Minecraft: Jayria

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:00 AM

I'm pretty sure it's just a bug that they're able to pick up player-placed blocks in the pre-release, I don't think it's intended.

nat creeper
  • Minecraft: nat_mc

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:01 AM

ender-men can't pick up player placed blocks
creepers... they only want hugs

Posted Image

zebragrrl
    zebragrrl

Zombie Killer

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 244 posts
  • Minecraft: zebragrrl

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:07 AM

View Postnat creeper, on 12 September 2011 - 12:01 AM, said:

ender-men can't pick up player placed blocks

Source?

I've seen this repeated a lot by people here on the forums, but I've yet to see ANY official statement from Mojang stating that Endermen face any restriction whatsoever when choosing a block to carry.

Posted Image

GearsDisraeli
  • Minecraft: GearsDisraeli

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:08 AM

Whether or not they can pick up player-placed blocks, this idea is still valid. I enjoy the use of the ender pearl. :D
Posted Image

zeel
    zeel

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:16 AM

I have seen pictures of endermen holding bedrock that was placed on the surface by a player in creative mode. They can definitely pick them up. I don't think the game even has a way to differentiate between player placed and natural blocks.

And an enderman outside the range simply will not enter the area. But if you place it next to one it will TP away.

You can't just use it to form a wall, unless the entire area within the wall is lit enough to stop spawning. To totally protect an unlit area you would need to bury them all over the place.

I think they should maybe produce a light level of 1 or something, just to be cool.

Posted Image

zebragrrl
    zebragrrl

Zombie Killer

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 244 posts
  • Minecraft: zebragrrl

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:21 AM

Posted Image

Enderman holding a forge

Posted Image

zeel
    zeel

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:34 AM

^^^ There you go, they can pick up anything. So we need protection.

And it really is pretty cool to think that they will destroy your stuff unless you get enough pearls to protect it. Its a cool bit of strategy. Like how skeletons drop arrows, which you need  for fighting. . . skeletons. (well ya you could craft arrows, but whats the fun in that?).

Posted Image

Lord Penguin
  • Minecraft: Lord_Penguin

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:50 AM

View PostBrokenEye, on 11 September 2011 - 11:58 PM, said:

Its not a problem at all, actually. Enders can't pick up player-placed blocks. Only the ones that were there naturally when you spawned.

Just saying.
My cobblestone building was nearly torn apart by endermen. I spent quite some time trying to fix it. Now I have to keep it on Peaceful most of the time, otherwise all my stuff will be griefed apart by endermen.

zeel
    zeel

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:14 AM

Hmm, perhaps they can also be toggles with redstone. That way you can trap endermen within an area. . .

Posted Image

BrokenEye
    BrokenEye

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2282 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:27 AM

View PostLord Penguin, on 12 September 2011 - 03:50 AM, said:

My cobblestone building was nearly torn apart by endermen. I spent quite some time trying to fix it. Now I have to keep it on Peaceful most of the time, otherwise all my stuff will be griefed apart by endermen.

Well in that case, I seem to have been given faulty intelegence on this matter. CURSE YOU INTERWEEEEEEEEEEBS!!!!!!
Posted Image
"Your "reality", sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever" — Baron Munchhausen

Petmanmu
    Petmanmu

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 665 posts
  • Minecraft: AbeMuldvarp

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:29 AM

View PostBrokenEye, on 11 September 2011 - 11:58 PM, said:

Just saying.

This "myth" have been busted, endermen can pick up tnt and bedrock - (any player placed blocks)

Edit: Lol nearly forgot about the topic... Yea I like the idea having a totem repel the endermen! :)

View PostStingray56, on 03 July 2011 - 04:02 PM, said:

Herobrine is a lie. Anyone who believes otherwise is mentally retarded. End. Of. The. Goddamn. Story.

BrokenEye
    BrokenEye

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2282 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:35 AM

View PostPetmanmu, on 12 September 2011 - 06:29 AM, said:

This "myth" have been busted, endermen can pick up tnt and bedrock - (any player placed blocks)

Edit: Lol nearly forgot about the topic... Yea I like the idea having a totem repel the endermen! :)

They can pick up bedrock??????
Posted Image

xDivineInsanityx
  • Minecraft: xDivineInsanityx

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:47 AM

They can pick stuff up in Pre-Release yes, but provide proof from the REAL release first.

After all, in Pre-Release they also suck at attacking, teleporting is weird, and they don't respond on servers... so they aren't entirely polished yet..
Updates need to be a thing we want, not despise.
1.8, bring it on!

TehEPICD00D
  • Minecraft: Professor Max
  • Xbox:ComposingPath14

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:09 AM

All I can say is....

Add some downsides so we aren't hitting endermen just outside the range and getting free Ender Pearls, just to reproduce that pole.
Posted Image I love Deus Ex. Check out my RP!

Optimatum
  • Minecraft: Swampert_rox

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:29 PM

Yes.

View PostTehEPICD00D, on 12 September 2011 - 11:09 AM, said:

All I can say is....

Add some downsides so we aren't hitting endermen just outside the range and getting free Ender Pearls, just to reproduce that pole.
That wouldn't work, as for you to be in range of the enderman it would either be close enough to damage you if you weren't careful or it would get teleported away before you could kill it. Plus Endermen are supposed to be rare so they wouldn't usually be that close to the edge of a safe area.

Lord Penguin
  • Minecraft: Lord_Penguin

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:37 PM

View PostOptimatum, on 12 September 2011 - 01:29 PM, said:

Yes.

That wouldn't work, as for you to be in range of the enderman it would either be close enough to damage you if you weren't careful or it would get teleported away before you could kill it. Plus Endermen are supposed to be rare so they wouldn't usually be that close to the edge of a safe area.
Endermen are very easy to kill with a bow and arrow. Perhaps if the player shoots the enderman with a bow and arrow:
-The enderman could teleport just enough to the side to avoid the arrow
-The enderman would take reduced damage, possibly as low as a half or less of its normal damage at that level of charge
-The arrow would go right through the enderman.

It is also to easy to get ender pearls from water killing endermen and while they burn in the sun. if they die by either of these methods alone, they should drop nothing.

Also, perhaps instead of a totem there would be an ender pearl block made with 4 or 9 pearls? It would protect around 32 blocks spherical radius.