• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Square Watermelons!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1008 replies to this topic

Poll: SQUARE WATERMELONS? (7602 member(s) have cast votes)

SQUARE WATERMELONS?

1. HELL YEAH! (7407 votes [97.42%])

Percentage of vote: 97.42%

2. NO! (196 votes [2.58%])

Percentage of vote: 2.58%

Vote

Tsutarja

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:28 PM

POPULAR

Make sure Mojang notices! Go here: http://getsatisfacti... ... _ly_cxfop4

Support Watermelons! Use our banner!

Just finished making a support banner, so if you like this idea, feel free to put it in your signature. I'm sure this one will catch Notch's eyes :)

Here's the banner:

Posted Image

And here's the code. Just copy this line of text and paste it into your signature. Done.

[url=http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65953][IMG]http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l520/xTsutarja/watermelon_banner_wide.png[/IMG][/url]

Watermelons? Watermelons!

Please read the revamped Watermelon overview below. It removed some bad parts and added some good ideas from the posters.

Have you ever seen one of those awesome square watermelons? Wouldn't they fit nice in Minecraft? The game needs more fruits, anyway.

So, here's the deal. By using a hoe on a grass block, you might sometimes uncover wheat seeds, right? I think the chance of them appearing is about 10%. Now, there's also a 5% chance for Watermelon Seeds Posted Image to be found. The Watermelon Seeds can then be planted on a soil and farmed, just like wheat!
The growth rate of the Watermelon is about 75% of a wheat crop. When it's fully grown, it takes up a complete cubic meter of space, and to harvest it, all you have to do is to hit it like a regular block. After maybe two seconds of constantly receiving hits, the Watermelon Block Posted Image explodes in a cascade of watery red flesh and drops a Watermelon Slice Posted Image (100% chance) and sometimes even one unit of Watermelon Seeds Posted Image as an added bonus (25% chance). This is similar to how a gravel always drops a gravel block, but sometimes also a piece of flint.
Watermelon Slices Posted Image heals 4 hearts when consumed (Removed ½ recovery points from my earlier suggestions)

I'd like to add that watermelons just have 2 stages of growth; Planted and Fully Grown. Which means that Watermelons will go directly from just a few seeds in the ground to an adult Watermelon, ready to be harvested. Fully grown Watermelons will act like any other block, and is able to be stood on, etc.

But what if we want to make Watermelons a part of our constructions? The solution is simple: We puzzle together four Watermelon Slices in the crafting grid. Like:

[] [] []
Posted Image Posted Image [] = Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image []

However, the placed Watermelon Block would still only drop one Watermelon Slice. So when you decide to get rid of your placed Watermelon, you've lost the remaining three Watermelon Slices used in the making of the block. There's still a 25% chance for a Watermelon Seeds to drop. Basically, they are exactly the same blocks as those you harvest.

Here's a suggestion on how the Watermelon Block could look. I suck at perspectives though.

Posted Image

Textures: Posted Image - Posted Image

Hm... Anything else to write about them? No, I think I covered the most of it. If you have any suggestions, questions or compliments, leave them in this topic.

---

Thanks to all you guys for sharing your super smart suggestions and nice comments :D

Watermelons 2.0

Posted Image - About Watermelons
Watermelons are a new addition to Minecraft. At first, they are only found in the wild, just like pumpkins. But if you handle them correctly, you may start your own watermelon farm. They are affected by gravity, just like sand or gravel. However, they have a new kind of twist, they may break.
The Watermelon may break due to two different reasons. The first one is from falling. If a Watermelon falls more than 3 blocks down, they will break and drop 1-3 Watermelon Seeds. Watermelons do also break if you hit them with any tool (Axe, Pickaxe, Shovel or Hoe) or with any weapon (TNT, Arrows and Swords. This does also include skeleton arrows and creeper explosions.) and drop 1-3 seeds.

To receive a Watermelon Block safely, you will have to hit it with bare hands or ineffective items until it breaks and drops one block. The Watermelon Block can then be either be placed or crafted into watermelon slices (More on that later).

Posted Image - The Seeds and farming
Watermelon Seeds are not obtainable by any other means than by breaking a Watermelon Block. The seeds are planted and harvested in quite an innovative way.

Watermelon Seeds may only be planted in soil, and require water up to four blocks away, just like wheat. The seeds does however grow in a different way than wheat.

When watermelon seeds are planted, they will appear as a bundle of vines. After a couple of days, these vines will produce up to three watermelon blocks in a pattern explained below. The watermelons may appear in any of the 8 blocks surrounding the vines, as long as they have room to grow. All watermelons will appear at the same time, and there will always be 3 watermelons, unless there is only room for one or two (or maybe even none). After the watermelons are grown, the vines will disappear within a day.

Posted Image = Watermelon Block
:Diamond: = Bundle of vines

(Top-down view)

Posted Image  []  []
[]  :Leaves: Posted Image
[] Posted Image []

If there aren't any room for any watermelons to grow, the vines will disappear after about a day.

Posted Image - Watermelon Slices
If you manage to get your hands on a watermelon block, it may be crafted into several watermelon slices. The watermelon slices heals 1.5 hearts when consumed, but they compensate for the low recovery rate by being able to be stacked in stacks up to 16.

All you have to do to craft watermelon blocks into slices is to drop the watermelon block in your crafting grid and you will receive 4 watermelon slices. If you didn't get it, here's the crafting pattern:

[]  [] = 4 x Posted Image
[] Posted Image

And like I said earlier, they are stackable up to 16 pieces. That's quite a lot of recovery for just one slot, but not too overpowered.

Permanently changed my name to qbicfeet.

Register or log in to remove.

werty894

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:36 PM

Sounds good

*Stamps with werty seal of approval*

Tsutarja

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:30 PM

Thank you. Out of my three current suggestions, this is the first one to receive a positive first post.

Reft
    Reft

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1779 posts
  • Minecraft: Sam305

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:59 PM

Yes!... YESH!
Now our character wont get thirsty from not having ANY liquid kind of food.

Posted Image

Tsutarja

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:55 PM

Sam305 said:

Yes!... YESH!
Oh, I never saw it that way :cobblestone:
I guess one could call watermelons "natures' own popcicle"

Speaking of thirsty... How come water isn't drink-able in-game?

Reft
    Reft

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1779 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:56 AM

Tsutarja said:

Sam305 said:

Yes!... YESH!
Oh, I never saw it that way :GoldBar:

Because your character is allergic to having pure water inside of him/her.

Posted Image

Jamsponge
  • Location: England (aka Britain, aka the United Kingdom, aka the British Empire)

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:53 PM

Sam305 said:

Tsutarja said:

Sam305 said:

Yes!... YESH!
Oh, I never saw it that way :)

Because your character is allergic to having pure water inside of him/her.
I was thinking more along the lines of the fact oceans are saltwater, thus being undrinkable (without going insane and dehydrating yourself, not to mention exceeding your daily dose of salt) and there's only one type of water block in the game. When Notch introduces 'Ultimate mode' (you need food and drink to live), he'll probably make a freshwater block that you could drink (maybe after filtering?)...
Maybe I'm being too science-y, but saltwater is not a drink.
The Homebrew Pack [Textures]: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=61064
My Youtube Channel [Videos]: http://www.youtube.c.../JamspongeVideo
Minecraftia [Story]: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=80140

Clipper
    Clipper

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:00 PM

ON TOPIC!

Square watermelons!

*slashes one into 8 cubes*
Definitely support!
Posted Image
One day, i thought of building a very awesome tower. I messed up the perspective.

Tsutarja

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:52 PM

So, added an example picture. Tell me what you think about it.

katana098

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:56 PM

Maybe you could make them like sand: placeable but they fall. And to get slices you must put one in a crafting grid. And by eating slices you get 1-2 more seeds.
Posted Image
"I am a floating tree with limbs living in Antarctica. Screw logic."-floatingmagictree

Tsutarja

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:00 PM

katana098 said:

Maybe you could make them like sand: placeable but they fall. And to get slices you must put one in a crafting grid. And by eating slices you get 1-2 more seeds.
The first problem would be that the seeds are supposed to be rare. If you eat one slice and receive multiple seeds back you wouldn't have to work very hard to get an unlimited supply of watermelons. But I see and like your thinking though.

eddYe said:

Yeah, and when you dont harvest them fast enough, some black men comes and steals your bike and watermelons
Wat?

drums107
    drums107

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:56 PM

Posted Image One of the better ideas on here. Though it's a mining/crafting game, my favorite part is the plants. Mushrooms and cacti!! Yay! But it needs watermelon! And it would be a great addition to a garden!

[]  []  []
Posted Image   Posted Image    []  = Posted Image
Posted Image   Posted Image    []
Posted Image

Tsutarja

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:17 PM

drums107 said:

Posted Image One of the better ideas on here. Though it's a mining/crafting game, my favorite part is the plants. Mushrooms and cacti!! Yay! But it needs watermelon! And it would be a great addition to a garden!

[]  []  []
Interesting :)

I'd like Melons to be placeable, so I think your idea is fine. Here's my improvement of that idea:

:Diamond: = Watermelon Seed.
:soil: = Field Block
:Notch: = Punching/Hitting object
Posted Image = Watermelon
Posted Image = Watermelon Slice

---

:Diamond: + :soil: = Posted Image (When fully grown. 75% the growth speed of Wheat)

:Notch: + Posted Image = Posted Image x 1

[]  []  []

---

That means that Water Melons are placeable by crafting four Watermelon Slices. But hitting a Watermelon Block just drops one Watermelon Slice. Meaning that placing and then hitting loses you 3 slices. That's kind of fair, seeing as how some blocks like bookcases don't drop anything when destroyed.

What do you think of this scheme?

Rundo
    Rundo

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:39 PM

Why not? lol
Posted Image

drums107
    drums107

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:46 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking. One slice from a watermelon. The more rare the object, the cooler it is!
Posted Image

Tsutarja

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:08 PM

drums107 said:

That's exactly what I was thinking. One slice from a watermelon. The more rare the object, the cooler it is!
Yes, and it wouldn't be abusing the quite high heal rate (4½ hearts)

Thanks for the support guys! Time to contact Notch? :)

Reft
    Reft

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1779 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:15 PM

Tsutarja said:

drums107 said:

Yes, and it wouldn't be abusing the quite high heal rate (4½ hearts)

Thanks for the support guys! Time to contact Notch? :P
Call the almighty notch! He will love this idea.

Posted Image

drums107
    drums107

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:18 PM

Sound's good. And don't forget about the rare seedless watermelon slice ( Posted Image as opposed to Posted Image ), that might plop out of a watermelon that heals 8 hearts. Maybe 5% chance? 2%?

Am I serious about this? I myself don't even know..
Posted Image

Tsutarja

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:21 PM

drums107 said:

Sound's good. And don't forget about the rare seedless watermelon slice ( Posted Image as opposed to Posted Image ), that might plop out of a watermelon that heals 8 hearts. Maybe 5% chance? 2%?

Am I serious about this? I myself don't even know..

No. I think that's too complicated. It's a fruit.

awopcxet
    awopcxet

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2357 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:22 PM

Tsutarja said:

drums107 said:

[]  []  []
Interesting :)

I'd like Melons to be placeable, so I think your idea is fine. Here's my improvement of that idea:

:Flint: = Watermelon Seed.
:soil: = Field Block
:Notch: = Punching/Hitting object
Posted Image = Watermelon
Posted Image = Watermelon Slice

---

:Flint: + :soil: = Posted Image (When fully grown. 75% the growth speed of Wheat)

:Notch: + Posted Image = Posted Image x 1

[]  []  []

---

That means that Water Melons are placeable by crafting four Watermelon Slices. But hitting a Watermelon Block just drops one Watermelon Slice. Meaning that placing and then hitting loses you 3 slices. That's kind of fair, seeing as how some blocks like bookcases don't drop anything when destroyed.

What do you think of this scheme?
but what a second! i will garden theme like a gardener not a person who not can use a garden
it would drop a watermelon who you can craft to four pieces