• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

what graphics card do i need for no lag minecraft?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

bradthelee

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:37 AM

short and sweet i wanna know what graphics car ill need t play minecraft on far with 50-80 fps steady and the price. if you are commenting and havent played minecraft dont say it shouldnt take that much this game is insane, it is a hog and it logs a lot on decent computers, you can play crysis with no lag and then go to minecraft and after ten minute its down to 10 fps.i want to know the price as well, keep in mind i cant pay for than $250.

Register or log in to remove.

Doirdyn
    Doirdyn

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1420 posts
  • Minecraft: Doirdyn

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:39 AM

View Postbradthelee, on 10 September 2011 - 03:37 AM, said:

short and sweet i wanna know what graphics car ill need t play minecraft on far with 50-80 fps steady and the price. if you are commenting and havent played minecraft dont say it shouldnt take that much this game is insane, it is a hog and it logs a lot on decent computers, you can play crysis with no lag and then go to minecraft and after ten minute its down to 10 fps.i want to know the price as well, keep in mind i cant pay for than $250.

Not even close to true... With $250 in mind, I'd vote for 560 Ti

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814127565

Keep in mind: $225 after rebate, $8 shipping, and free Batman: Arkham City game ($50 value).
Games I play: Minesweeper, Terraria and Minecraft!
I don't often follow threads I post in. If you'd like a response about something, send me a PM.

hunty512
    hunty512

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:49 AM

you dont need a good graphics card to have no lag.

Heres how i get a low lag game:

1. Open Task Manager

2. Click Minecraft

3. Open Processes

4. Right click on JavaW and hover over "Set Priority"

5. Change priority to High

Note: You must have minecraft running when you do this.
Posted Image.
I made the link for the signature work unlike everyone else.

Inoka1
    Inoka1

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:50 AM

So you're saying a game that was released four years ago but is only getting cards that can play it on max NOW is less of a hog than Minecraft?

brb I'm having laughing fits.

[simg]http://i.imgur.com/1MGkW.gif[/simg]

Trinalsis said:

You.

Listen.

I hate you.

Posted Image

Doirdyn
    Doirdyn

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1420 posts
  • Minecraft: Doirdyn

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:51 AM

View Posthunty512, on 10 September 2011 - 03:49 AM, said:

you dont need a good graphics card to have no lag.

Heres how i get a low lag game:

1. Open Task Manager

2. Click Minecraft

3. Open Processes

4. Right click on JavaW and hover over "Set Priority"

5. Change priority to High

Note: You must have minecraft running when you do this.

You don't even understand what that does. That is in regards to the processor. Nothing to do with Minecraft and rendering.
Games I play: Minesweeper, Terraria and Minecraft!
I don't often follow threads I post in. If you'd like a response about something, send me a PM.

deedvanick

Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:16 AM

Honestly you can run Minecraft with a video card that has 128mb of dedicated RAM

Minecraft relies on processing power for all of the god damned random generation that takes place, what you need is GOOD OL FASHION RAM

LOTS N LOTS O' RAM

My work computer has 6gb of ram and an integrated graphics card and it runs minecraft perfectly

press f4 (or f5?) to see how much of a memory hog Minecraft is.

fm87
    fm87

Beyond the Horizon

• Members
  • 22016 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:20 AM

View Postdeedvanick, on 10 September 2011 - 04:16 AM, said:

Honestly you can run Minecraft with a video card that has 128mb of dedicated RAM

Minecraft relies on processing power for all of the god damned random generation that takes place, what you need is GOOD OL FASHION RAM

LOTS N LOTS O' RAM

My work computer has 6gb of ram and an integrated graphics card and it runs minecraft perfectly

More RAM will not make Minecraft faster. While it is a tiny bit of a RAM hog, 1GB is not exactly a lot nowadays. My girlfriend's old laptop can run it fine with fancy graphics and full view distance, it only has 1.5GB of RAM. It's more CPU intensive than anything, especially when rendering a new world.

OP, just buy a cheap $60 graphics card, it should be fine. If you choose to buy anything more expensive make sure your PSU is putting out enough power.

Are you sure it's not just your computer that makes minecraft slow? If it's old and outdated that could be why, a graphics card won't help you there.

acidxxrain
  • Minecraft: acidxxrain

Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:31 AM

I got a Radeon HD 4670. Fits your criteria I think, I'm getting 50-70 fps on max settings. I got mine for $75.99
Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick!
Punch it with an aircraft carrier. It's the only way to be sure.
"nine out of ten voices in my head agree that I am sane" "I am reborn as an ocelot. You disapprove."

MillCzarr
  • Minecraft: MillCzarr

Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:48 AM

Yeah, minecraft isn't exactly a comp usage hogger. Unless you are trying to max it out. Which you dont need an extreme rig to do so. AMD sells video cards cheap, and can really boost performance on most games. But make sure you look up he card on Google or YouTube, to make sure it will it will boost your performance.
Posted Image

RaidZero
    RaidZero

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Minecraft: FanOfTurtles

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:11 AM

I have a nvidia 9600GT which I got for like $70 two year ago.
I can run the game on far, fancy, all that good stuff at 65-80 frames per second.

Other specs if interested:
RAM: Patriot Sector 5 4Gb
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 B55 Processor with 3 cores @ 3.7Ghz
NZXT Lexa S | | AMD Phenom II x3 B55 | | ASUS M4A79XTD Evo | | XFX Radeon 6870 | | Corsair VX 450W | | Kingston HyperX 8GB

gaunu
    gaunu

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Minecraft: gaunu

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:40 AM

I'm running Minecraft on a HP Laptop, G72 to be exact, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM, 2GHz Intel Pentium Dual Core, and I can't play Minecraft on Fancy, I have to play on Fast. I also can't play on Render Distance: Far or I'll lag after like 10 minutes. So how do I get rid of lag?

Mr_Carbohydrate
  • Minecraft: Mr_Carbohydrate

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:42 AM

If you can afford it, a 560 Ti.

:)

I, a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe Posted Image

8bitwonder

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:01 AM

View Postdeedvanick, on 10 September 2011 - 04:16 AM, said:

LOTS N LOTS O' RAM

RAM != processing power.

Christoi
    Christoi

Creeper Destroyer

• Members
  • 6421 posts
  • Minecraft: christoi28

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:57 AM

You may need to also change the PSU, can you post your full computer specs?

View PostHazali, on 07 October 2011 - 09:34 PM, said:

Change it, it's ruined forever. Keep it the way it is, the creator is lazy.

HonestFlames
  • Minecraft: HonestFlames

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:16 AM

My GT 430 runs Minecraft at 1920x1200 quite well. 50FPS+.

A GT 440 would probably be the minimum for 1920x1200 @ 60FPS in Minecraft, at all times. Rendering lots of trees (with all those transparent leaf blocks) is the only real challenge Minecraft presents to graphics cards.

MinecraftTrolledMe

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:46 PM

This will make you're Minecraft run as smooth as a baby's butt.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130680

(given you're cpu is decent)
If I helped you in any way, think about leaving a +1. Thanks!

HonestFlames
  • Minecraft: HonestFlames

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:38 PM

View PostMinecraftTrolledMe, on 11 September 2011 - 07:46 PM, said:

This will make you're Minecraft run as smooth as a baby's butt.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130680

(given you're cpu is decent)

Sorry, but you're wrong. A GT 440 is quite a lot faster than a 520, especially at higher resolutions.

At 65W, the GT 440 is quite energy efficient and stays within the PCIe standard, meaning no extra power connector required and, quite often, means the user upgrading from e.g. integrated graphics may not have to buy a higher capacity PSU.

Alex Humva
  • Minecraft: dralexhumva

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:59 PM

You can have some idiotic integrated graphics card and still run Minecraft fine.

Minecraft doesn't make use of the GPU that much; as HonestFlames said, it's mainly the trees that push the GPU. Other than that, Minecraft's main hog is memory and CPU. If you have four gigs of RAM, which is standard nowadays, you'll be fine. I'm not too familiar with processor benchmarks with Minecraft, but if it was made in the last two-three years it should be ok, though the Intel Atoms are really strained by Minecraft, so I rephrase that as "anything made in the last two-three years that isn't a laptop processor".
Need help building/buying a computer? Shoot me a message.
Posted Image

teckmaster
    teckmaster

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4429 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:57 AM

Most likely it isn't the graphics card, it is the least important piece of hardware when it comes to minecraft.
If a Jewish man is free to grow his beard, a Muslim man should have that same right without being called a terrorist. If a Christian Nun is free to cover her head, a Muslim woman should have the same right without been called oppressed. No double standards!

masterman467

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:50 AM

any suggestions on a decent card for about 60 bucks with a  PCI (NOT express) on a stock (from factory) mother board?
its kind of a older computer, with 4gb of ram (i maxed out the motherboard) and a Pentium 4 processor . not a "HC Gaming Rig" but i would like to run it at 40 frames with out OptiFine (it fucks my x-ray D:) i get from 3-25 frames now. thanks in advance.
Spoiler: