• Please log in to reply
2120 replies to this topic

Iamchris27
  • Minecraft: Iamchris27

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:13 PM

POPULAR

The City Construction Challenge

News & Updates

- For those of you asking to use my challenge as inspiration for a new challenge of your own, I will repeat what I mailed to somebody else:

Feel free to use my challenge, but please don't just steal it and re-word it (It drives me nuts and previous examples of this have not received good responses from people independent of me). Also, I would appreciate a mention of my original post in your post - it will probably save somebody else posting on your topic that "this is stolen from The City Construction Challenge" too.

- I'm not sure if i'm the only one experiencing the poll not working, but I updated the guidelines anyway.
- More videos added to the main page, sorry for the delays in getting them there but I am glad to see you all continue to make the videos regardless of that!
- So many people with the banners in their signature, thanks so much for your support Posted Image

v1.3
The following requirements have been removed from the hard/insane difficulty:

"- Seeds can only be obtained from existing wheat or from tall grass which has spawned by using bonemeal on a grass block."
"- You cannot make bread and bread will not count towards your food count. Use your survival skills to find other food sources. Bread from dungeons may be eaten and count towards item reqs."

older versions:

[/font]
v1.2.1
- - Any NPC constructs do not count towards requirements, but you may use anything you find (e.g. If you find a smelter, you can use it... however if you are still in stage 1 you cannot craft more smelters)

v1.2
- Raw food (and rotten flesh) no longer counts towards food requirements
- Requirements for Walls slightly changed
- Mining District Added
- Insignificant adjustments made

v1.1.1
- Condition for helmets on insane mode changed slightly

v1.1
- New difficulties added: 'Normal', 'Hard', 'Insane'
- Existing challenge now named 'Classic'
- Extended lores depending on difficulty chosen
- 'Pro Tips' added

v1
- If you find a bucket before stage 3, you may now use it.
- Food (in storage) require increased due to hunger bar.

Background

I was browsing the forums in attempt to find some challenges to try out and couldn't seem to find many and all the challenges i saw had a similar theme: "You have 1 day to gather materials then you can't return to the surface ever again"
I then came across the 10,000 BN Challenge (Found here) and was refreshed by its originality, though it was slightly lacking boundaries and goals. It gave me inspiration to come up with my own challenge in an attempt to improve on the linked challenge and incorporate my own ideas too, it is an attempt to be a quite realistic (in terms of limitations and requirements) challenge.

So, without further ado, here is my 'City Construction Challenge':

Lore

The rich king of the wastelands ruled tyrannically over the people with an iron fist, taxing the citizens more than they could dream to afford and threatening to slaughter them if they came up a penny short. He starved his people so that he could hold feasts for himself and his fat lords, caring little for the poor villagers who feed his endless stomach. The people have grown fed up of grueling work in a place with no hope or future in sight, you must flee this barren hell with whoever has the courage to leave and find a way to live for yourself.

You have been travelling for months, escaping from the old world filled with corruption and injustice, in search of a new paradise, where you can start afresh and create your own kingdom.
You will become a ruler among those you brought with you, but can you cope with the pressure and survive in the wild?

Classic Mode
Spoiler:

Normal Mode

Spoiler:

Hard Mode

Spoiler:

Insane Mode

Spoiler:

Pro Tips:
- Plan well in advance for the best result.
- Struggling for food? Try fishing or growing mushrooms.
- When considering where to build your kingdom, think about what you're going to need to do: Unless you find a bucket in a dungeon, you'll need to build near water for a farm. Also, it's recommended to build in a flat open area so that you don't need to do too much Terra-forming to build your structures such as walls.
- Need help when it comes to building? visit http://www.minecraft...uilding-a-city/ for inspiration and things to keep in mind.
- Try incorporating other ideas or religions, such as ArchbuS's 'Cubeaism' religion
- Don't know how to upload images? Here are two guides:

General guide by myself:
Spoiler:

Guide for Imageshack by OpelFalcon:

Spoiler:

Summary

Sorry for the super (now with extra super) long thread, but i'm sure this could be quite a fun and unique challenge to try, please be sure to give it a go and give me feedback and updates on how you do. Remember, the guidelines are not set in stone so you don't have to follow them by the letter!

Any suggestions? Please let me know because I am sure I can improve this challenge with your help.

I am going to start this challenge for myself too, and will post my progress as i do it, I would also be more than happy to join somebody's server to start this challenge if anybody offers Posted Image

Good luck, Settler!

Community

Servers:

If you own a server which is dedicated to this challenge, send me a Private Message on the forums with the server's details and I'll happily add it here for publicity.

Bnagers has created a server for players to join, see the thread linked below for info:

http://www.minecraft...allenge-server/

Videos:

Sometimes I find it more fun to watch other people play Minecraft than playing it myself, here I will post links to your videos of the City Construction Challenge that I may find. (There's so many that I needed to start putting them in spoilers)

If you want a custom description for your video then please specify when you ask me to add it to the OP.

Hemlas' Challenge attempt on hard difficulty, along with some great music to start the episode off. He finds a nice seed to start the challenge and luckily remembers that he forgot his helmet before doing some dangerous mining!

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.c...emlasAdventures

Lord Raven picks up Minecraft again for the City Construction Challenge on Insane difficulty and is eager to point out a flaw in the challenge (I have fixed that now!). Quite a lengthy video with good comedy value (chasing cows around, in particular).

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/LORDR1966

Michael Canino's Challenge attempt on insane. He spawns in what looks like the secret cow level (You get my respect for catching the reference). He also provides an option to either skip parts you might find boring or watch them with some music. There may not be much content in this video but there is certainly plenty of potential shown from the channel's owner for good quality, interactive videos so be sure to keep watching.

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.c...SiMtVamfp5VptTw

Spoiler:

Inactive Series:

Spoiler:

Banners

If you wish to support this challenge and spread the word, I have created two simple banners to choose from and OpelFalcon has made a smaller, simpler signature too!

Made by me:

Posted Image

[URL=http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/607484-challenge-the-city-construction-challenge/page__p__8024634#entry8024634][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/oQQHt.png[/IMG][/URL]

Posted Image

[URL=http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/607484-challenge-the-city-construction-challenge/page__p__8024634#entry8024634][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/qhuzx.png[/IMG][/URL]

Made by OpelFalcon:

Posted Image

[URL=http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/607484-challenge-the-city-construction-challenge/page__p__8024634#entry8024634][IMG]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/272/sigex.png[/IMG][/URL]

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

piangrande
  • Minecraft: piangrande

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:26 PM

Yay!
This sounds really fun to do.
When I find the time to play minecraft again, I'm definitely gonna do this with some friends.
Great idea!
Posted Image

TheCheeseMaster

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:33 PM

Great idea, I've noticed the lack of a variety of challenges as well. I might consider doing this, although I would probably create this kind of town without the challenge to motivate me.
Nemesis Minecraft YouTube Channel
"I haven't had this much sex since I was a boy scout leader, I mean, at the time, I was dating alot" - Lt. Frank Drebin

Iamchris27

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:40 PM

View PostTheCheeseMaster, on 07 September 2011 - 08:33 PM, said:

Great idea, I've noticed the lack of a variety of challenges as well. I might consider doing this, although I would probably create this kind of town without the challenge to motivate me.

Well I tried to make sure to add plenty of restrictions and requirements to change it from the usual routine into more of a challenge. It's still the same gameplay mostly (except for mining) but maybe I could change that if there are some good ideas and if the challenge isn't enough to be considered, well, challenging.
Posted Image

CCF
    CCF

Carpenter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Minecraft: Augustus290

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:52 PM

Challenge accepted.
I will start today.
Posted Image

Mezput
    Mezput

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:33 PM

My first challenge, yay! :P

Btw, does anyone know of a good website/forum with Minecraft challenges?

3rdi
    3rdi

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:43 PM

This is a brilliant challenge, a great advancement on the orevious variations of this, that only have a couple of limited ages, accepted :)

Iamchris27

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:49 PM

Ok, so i've already got to starting my first day in the challenge:

Spoiler:

Posted Image

wisekill1

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:13 PM

very good, I will make a city..

angel_lord

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:47 PM

At least you have limits etc. Ill try this :3
Posted Image

Vithiron
    Vithiron

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:26 AM

I started this challenge earlier today, since this one actually seemed like fun, with a lot of freedom, but still a proper goal and some restrictions. So far I'm almost done with stage 2, which I would've done ages ago if I didn't decide to make a gigantic town hall with a floor made entirely out of logs...

Click the spoiler button for pictures and a bit more text ^^

Spoiler:

Iamchris27

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:13 AM

View PostVithiron, on 09 September 2011 - 12:26 AM, said:

Edit: Meh, pictures ended up a bit small, so I'll fix that later.

Aw dammit i wish i could see those pictures, even if they are small, all i'm getting is a message telling me you moved/deleted them D: I'll have to keep an eye out for when you update them ;)

Edit: Ah, you fixed them!

You've made good progress so far! I see a spider joined your community and is helping on the lookout tower :P That texture pack sure makes your floor look fancy, too!

Keep the updates flowing please ^^

My second day into the challenge:

Spoiler:

On a side note, good to see people are at least trying out my challenge, I hope you enjoy it!
Posted Image

pastmidnight14

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:37 AM

Yes. I'm going to kick up my old bukkit server and do this with a couple pals. You sir, can have a cookie.
[INSERT OBLIGATORY "CLICK THE GREEN PLUS BUTTON IN THE BOTTOM RIGHT-HAND CORNER IF I HELPED YOU"]
--pastmidnight14

IBelisarius

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:40 AM

I may try to find a few guys to record an LP of this challenge.

ArchebuS
    ArchebuS

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • Minecraft: archebus

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:54 AM

Cool stuff OP I will work through this when I can.
Exactly the kind of stuff I like =)

It has a similar style to my Minecraft religion -> Cubeaism.
The paths of each god have similar restrictions + requirements to try and enhance game-play and encourage role-play.
Posted Image

tyler1996
  • Minecraft: rollerblader1986

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:55 AM

That sound awesome, but it would be better if you incorporate Cubeaism into it.

ArchebuS
    ArchebuS

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • Minecraft: archebus

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:04 AM

View Posttyler1996, on 09 September 2011 - 01:55 AM, said:

Cheers for the fanatical fandom.
But the OP's creation works really well on its own.
Its up to the player to incorporate what they want into their own minecraft experience.
Posted Image

Iamchris27

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:05 AM

View PostArchebuS, on 09 September 2011 - 01:54 AM, said:

Cool stuff OP I will work through this when I can.
Exactly the kind of stuff I like =)

It has a similar style to my Minecraft religion -> Cubeaism.
The paths of each god have similar restrictions + requirements to try and enhance game-play and encourage role-play.

View Posttyler1996, on 09 September 2011 - 01:55 AM, said:

I was unaware of this religion, I will be sure to take a read tommorow (it's really late right now) and tell you my opinions then.

Edit: Had a thorough read through the Cubeaism post; these ideas are quite similar in concept and i'm sure they could easily be incorporated with each other with some adjustments, however I intend to leave this to yourself if you want to take on both ideas at the same time.

Adding Cubeaism to the challenge would really complicate things easily, i'm not saying this is bad but I want to keep the challenge as an 'open book' where the participants can take the foundations of the challenge and manipulate it to their personal preferences as they see fit, or just play it as it is.
As ArchbuS said:

Its up to the player to incorporate what they want into their own minecraft experience.

Despite this, I have still added the 'Cubeaism' religion as a suggestion to making this challenge more difficult.

Perhaps I can add a 'hardcore' mode where you must build with certain materials in certain biomes, similar to Cubeaism where you can only use certain blocks depending on the god you have chosen to follow. Opinions?
Posted Image

luztospooge
  • Minecraft: luztospooge

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:10 PM

Nice idea you got going there, btw I accept your challenge and will be posting pics relatively soon

xtir
    xtir

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:33 PM

i've accepted this challenge as well, looks like a lot of fun.