• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

How many ticks in a minute?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Aliensfear

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:52 PM

How many ticks are in a minute? I am trying to make a clock that repeated every 30 minutes, I already know how to do it, I just need the tick to minute. Thanks
Posted Image
YOU MUST BE REDSTONE BECAUSE YOU TURN ME ON!

Register or log in to remove.

skyy0731
    skyy0731

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 709 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:55 PM

actually there is a thread somewhere about a super compact 1minute clock. but 1 tick is 0.1 seconds i think so 600 ticks for a minute.
might add a link later for the compact clock

Aliensfear

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:57 PM

View Postskyy0731, on 02 September 2011 - 09:55 PM, said:

actually there is a thread somewhere about a super compact 1minute clock. but 1 tick is 0.1 seconds i think so 600 ticks for a minute.
might add a link later for the compact clock

Thanks for answering! I do not need anything for compact clocks (I am taking advantage of falsebook on the server I am on :3) Is there any source of the tick to minute ratio?
Posted Image
YOU MUST BE REDSTONE BECAUSE YOU TURN ME ON!

skyy0731
    skyy0731

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 709 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:23 PM

View PostAliensfear, on 02 September 2011 - 09:57 PM, said:

Thanks for answering! I do not need anything for compact clocks (I am taking advantage of falsebook on the server I am on :3) Is there any source of the tick to minute ratio?
redstone Wiki

under the "Keep in mind that:"

it talks about repeaters and ticks.

Forever A Troll

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:26 PM

View Postskyy0731, on 02 September 2011 - 10:23 PM, said:

redstone Wiki

under the "Keep in mind that:"

it talks about repeaters and ticks.
The MC wiki is not a reliable source. A lot of the information on it is outdated or was just plain wrong to begin with. Especially the redstone pages suffer from this.

You're right though. The tick rate is 20 ticks per second, wich means 10 "redstone ticks" per second.
Posted Image
"He's the hero Minecraft Forums deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A SilverMatt."

Darquan
    Darquan

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:33 PM

View PostForever A Troll, on 02 September 2011 - 10:26 PM, said:

You're right though. The tick rate is 20 ticks per second, wich means 10 "redstone ticks" per second.
We're fighting an uphill battle :)

He's right. A tick is 1/20th of a second not 1/10th as commonly thought. A single torch delay is two ticks.
Support the Allocator! Find my inventions such as my pressure plate removal detector on the About Me page of my profile.
I'm still looking for more feedback on my configurable Redstone Gate mod. All gates and common circuits (such as e.g. clocks, edge detectors, latches and Flip-Flops) in a single block.

RT-073
    RT-073

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:39 PM

Yes, but given the prevalence of that preconception, it's generally easier to refer to a torch delay as 1 tick, and a game tick as 0.5 ticks, as otherwise Every single old post on the forums would become outdated. Or we could call game ticks 1 tock :P

Darquan
    Darquan

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:42 PM

It also used to be quite prevalent that the Earth was flat and that the sun was circling around the Earth.

I'll stick with the 1/20th of a second tick.
Support the Allocator! Find my inventions such as my pressure plate removal detector on the About Me page of my profile.
I'm still looking for more feedback on my configurable Redstone Gate mod. All gates and common circuits (such as e.g. clocks, edge detectors, latches and Flip-Flops) in a single block.

haiyyu
    haiyyu

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 813 posts
  • Minecraft: haiyyu

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:44 PM

One second has 20, not 10 ticks.
I also wouldn't say that a second has 10 "redstone ticks".
What if you set a repeater to 1 tick?
Would that be half a redstone tick? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Forever A Troll

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:46 PM

Especially since game ticks are actual ticks, while "redstone ticks" aren't even ticks at all. Any redstone device incorporating an actual tick system will probably have a much slower tick rate.

Edit: @Above So you're using the term 'tick' in the correct way by saying one second has 20 ticks, but still think that a repeater can be set to a 1 tick delay? That makes no sense.
Posted Image
"He's the hero Minecraft Forums deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A SilverMatt."

Darquan
    Darquan

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:50 PM

View Posthaiyyu, on 02 September 2011 - 10:44 PM, said:

What if you set a repeater to 1 tick?
You can't.
package net.minecraft.src;

import java.util.Random;

public class BlockRedstoneRepeater extends Block
{
	<cut>

public void updateTick(World world, int i, int j, int k, Random random)
	{
	<cut>
			if(!flag)
			{
				int i1 = (l & 0xc) >> 2; /* bits 3 and 4 of the repeater metadata */
				world.scheduleBlockUpdate(i, j, k, Block.redstoneRepeaterActive.blockID, repeaterState[i1] * 2);
			}
		}
	}

<cut>

private static final int repeaterState[] = {
		1, 2, 3, 4
	};

<cut>
}
It's being scheduled with a 2 * repeaterState[i1] delay which is 2, 4, 6 or 8 ticks.

You set it to either 1, 2, 3 or 4 torch delays.

haiyyu
    haiyyu

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:51 PM

@Forever A Troll:

Huh? I don't really get what you're trying to tell me.

One second has 20 ticks.
If you set a repeater to the fastest setting, it takes exactly 1 tick for the signal to pass through it.
If you chain 20 repeaters, each of them set to 1 tick, together, it will take the signal 1 second to get to the other side.

Sorry, but I really don't understand what you just said.

Edit:

@Darquan:

Now that surely is very interesting.
So chaining 10 repeaters, each set to the lowest setting, together would make the signal take exactly 1 second to get to the other side?

Another Edit:

I've tried it out with a stopwatch.
It seems like I'm actually wrong.
I chained five repeaters, each of them set to the highest setting, together and activated the input. It took the signal exactly 2 seconds (well, 1.9, but that's probably because I didn't stop/start perfectly) to get to the output.
Thanks for telling me this, I didn't know that before.

Darquan
    Darquan

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:57 PM

View Posthaiyyu, on 02 September 2011 - 10:51 PM, said:

@Darquan:

Now that surely is very interesting.
So chaining 10 repeaters, each set to the lowest setting, together would make the signal take exactly 1 second to get to the other side?
That is correct.

Note that this error is being made all over the place, in the majority of the posts and all over the wiki. That is, the naming of a tick. Most people agree that 10 torch delays (or 10 repeaters) equals 1 second.

haiyyu
    haiyyu

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:59 PM

Yup, I've tried it out myself now.
Seems like you're true, and I've been wrong all the time.
So is there any way of getting a signal that is one tick long?
I've heard of a redstone torch bug, where it sometimes only takes it 1 instead of 2 ticks to update.

Edit: Okay, I looked at the wiki and found out how the bug I was talking about works.
Just look for "North/South quirk" and you should be able to find it.

But I still have to reorganise all of my redstone knowledge now. D:

skyy0731
    skyy0731

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 709 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:41 PM

this has become to complicated.

haiyyu
    haiyyu

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:51 PM

It's not that complicated. :)

There are normal ticks and redstone ticks.
One second has 20 normal ticks, but only 10 redstone ones.
When talking about redstone, you normally refer to redstone ticks.
As you probably know, a repeater has four settings.
When it's set to the lowest setting (standard), it takes the signal exactly one redstone tick to pass through it.
When set to the highest setting, it takes it four times as long, 4 ticks, to pass through it.
If the term "redstone tick" is too complicated for you, you can just use decisecond. :P

However, most people think that redstone ticks are the same as normal ticks, which is wrong.

RT-073
    RT-073

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:51 PM

It's not that complicated. What you think of as a redstone tick (the delay a torch gives, or the delay of a repeater on the first setting), is actually made up of two 'game' ticks. However, for most normal circuits, you can't tell, as everything works with repeaters and torches working properly, so you get the illusion of the basic unit of time being a single redstone 'tick' (2 game ticks).

This means that all old threads, posts, and wiki articles, and the vast majority of new ones, all refer to a 'tick' as being the delay of a torch. The question is whether we should get everyone to change to being correct, and make the word tick refer to a single game tick, or whether we should refer to game ticks as 0.5 redstone ticks, and thereby make older information more relevant, and so decrease the confusion for newer people.

Peppe
    Peppe

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1215 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:40 AM

Anyone know what happens when two out of synch redstone circuits collide?

I did some tests the other day with rapid pulsars.  I started two up and hooked one side of each to a piston.  Sometimes I could synch up the second piston by just adding a single repeater to the line or just using the other side's output.  So the pulsars were on/off at the same time.

By starting/stopping a pulsar a few times and checking the timing I eventually got one that was completely out of sync with the other.  So one was on/off and 1 game tick / half a readstone tick later the other one was going on/off.  Each pulsar obeyed the normal rules of redstone circuits they just did not start/stop on the same game tick.

Also this machine makes a single game tick pulse on each wire each cycle of the clock: http://www.minecraft...on-clock/.  You can use that one pulse on some objects, but to affect redstone objects the pulse needs to be extended by going through a repeater first (pulse becomes visible at that time).

Caluck
    Caluck

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • Minecraft: Caluck

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:49 AM

It's three full repeaters equals one second. :P

This was of Beta v1.7.3, I have no clue now.
I am decent at Lua and Python, and am an expert with C, C+, HTML, Java, Javascript, and redstone.  Gotta love redstone.

SH4D0WS1N
  • Minecraft: SH4D0WS1N

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:15 AM

View Postskyy0731, on 02 September 2011 - 11:41 PM, said:

this has become to complicated.

No, it has become too full of smart asses to be understandable.

There are 20 game ticks in one second.
Redstone logic occurs every 2 ticks.
So there are 10 redstone ticks in a second.
When anyone (and by anyone I mean like 85% of the forum (totally made up but probably somewhat accurate)) says "tick" they mean redstone tick, as you don't make devices based on game ticks, but redstone ticks.

And to the guy above me, it equals 1.2 seconds. Two repeaters to full and one to the second setting would equal one second.
Did I stop responding to this thread? If it's because I was arguing, I most likely cbf to argue. If I was trying to help you, try PMing me.
Posted Image