Bloq

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:54 PM

Hey all, welcome to my XP ideas.

First of all, I hope there are achievements for "getting 100 skill points etc."

Anyway, here's what I propose.

There are skilled masters in NPC villages that will teach you certain skills. They have a dialog menu where you can choose a skill.

You right click on them and a dialogue box comes up. There are a list of skills, and it lists your current skills and XP. You select and confirm which skill(s) to level up (and how much by, if you have enough)

Posted Image

Combat - There is a chance that you will randomly deal a critical hit, and a chance that you will absorb most of the damage from a critical hit dealt on you.

Health - Every few levels or so you gain an extra heart of life OR you take less damage OR you don't die immediately (e,g, countdown upon death, lets you put items in chest?)

Mining - You can mine slightly faster. There is a small chance that when mining, you get an extra block, and sometimes a special item (gems?)

Crafting - When you craft, you sometimes consume less materials and/or make two items (obviously not diamond picks etc, unless you think that isn't unbalanced)

Mobility/Agility - You move slightly faster. You can double jump. Sprinting is faster and consumes less hunger (1.5x instead of 2x?)

Construction - I dunno about this one, maybe you can use more materials or something? I don't know, I'm just trying to find skills for all the core parts of Minecraft, this is one of them.

This stuff isn't as good as an idea but I'll throw it out there anyway
Spelunking - You can see better in the dark?
Cooking - You sometimes have a better chance of getting an extra food item/you don't burn? or stuff heals more health? Faster cooking times?
Fishing/Farming - Better chance of catching fish. Crops grow faster - Heal more health? More farming options?
Lumberjack-ness (or something) - This one isn't great really, just thought of anything I could. Maybe you chop trees down faster/get more wood? (Chance that you will get planks in addition to logs?)

Anyway, I just thought of this and I know a lot of people will hate but oh well :P
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

veron101
    veron101

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:44 PM

how 'bout for construction you can make a building by just right clicking w' some type of block. like building in a block skill. the higher your skill points the more advanced the building you can learn.

cheeseboy

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:32 PM

Fully upgrade lumberjack->cut down the bottom part of a tree and all the wood falls down.
Posted Image

jimmc
    jimmc

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Minecraft: dibdin

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:39 PM

View PostBloq, on 31 August 2011 - 02:54 PM, said:

There are skilled masters in NPC villages that will teach you certain skills. They have a dialog menu where you can choose a skill.

Combat - There is a chance that you will randomly deal a critical hit, and a chance that you will absorb most of the damage from a critical hit dealt on you.

Health - Every few levels or so you gain an extra heart of life OR you take less damage OR you don't die immediately (e,g, countdown upon death, lets you put items in chest?)

Mining - You can mine slightly faster. There is a small chance that when mining, you get an extra block, and sometimes a special item (gems?)

Crafting - When you craft, you sometimes consume less materials and/or make two items (obviously not diamond picks etc, unless you think that isn't unbalanced)

Mobility/Agility - You move slightly faster. You can double jump. Sprinting is faster and consumes less hunger (1.5x instead of 2x?)

Construction - I dunno about this one, maybe you can use more materials or something? I don't know, I'm just trying to find skills for all the core parts of Minecraft, this is one of them.

Cooking - You sometimes have a better chance of getting an extra food item/you don't burn? or stuff heals more health? Faster cooking times?
Fishing/Farming - Better chance of catching fish. Crops grow faster - Heal more health? More farming options?
Lumberjack-ness (or something) - This one isn't great really, just thought of anything I could. Maybe you chop trees down faster/get more wood? (Chance that you will get planks in addition to logs?)

Anyway, I just thought of this and I know a lot of people will hate but oh well :P

Good ideas,they won't be too overpowered given you lose all XP when you die.
Posted Image

Crunkatog

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:10 PM

Depends. If it's 100% crits with every jump attack, this is not very useful. If however you have a random crit percent, this could be a good boost.

1.8 health regeneration with full food bar is 1/2 heart per 3 seconds. A nice boost would have this rate go up, say to present Peaceful regeneration rate.

All of these are solid ideas. Faster block breaking, more ore drops.

A better way would be to have an unlockable 5 x 3 crafting grid that you access by making a special workbench. This is part of many, many existing mods, and lets you expand the types and quality of things you can build. So from this boost you get a new set of items you can make that may or may not be unique or more powerful than existing items.

Possibly. Another concept for this is a temporary set of wings or a hang glider. You can then fly for brief periods. You equip it in your hotbar, it has a damage bar or some other indication of use. When it's used up, you drift slowly towards the ground. The magic wings would be one-use, the hang glider would be something like a full minute of flying broken up into 1 tick increments (1/10th of a second).

Or a horse, of course! Give you a 2-3x speed boost. You can fit only through doors and rooms 3 or more spaces high. Need a saddle. Steering and movement use same controls as boat, but more responsive. Right click with saddle to mount, dismount with hotkey or if horse dies. Going to a village to trade for a horse is one of the oldest RPG elements ever.

This one's hard. Some things come to mind that sound great, but are difficult to balance properly: a very limited use of the "stack" command from WorldEdit, being able to stack up to 128 blocks, having your effective block placement reach increased by 1, etc. Any of these would be absolutely broken if permanent.

Maybe an item? A special block? One item could be a blueprint that lets you create a perfect circle flat on the ground. You equip it like a map, bring up chat, enter a number, and get the blueprint for a circle of that radius or diameter.

Or it could be a special block like glass stairs, obsidian slab, shelf, or any of the numerous custom building blocks from the BetterStairs or BetterBlocks or BetterWood mods. Or a special block that already exists in the game, but is rare or unobtainable by legit means.

Better than you think it is. Night vision is useful for more than just spelunking. The Spider Queen Mod night vision lets you see through water as if it had no opacity. It improves vision during storms and at night out in the open. This could be broken right in half if not specifically limited in duration and scope.

Probably would have this become "you can cook stacked meats the way you smelt stacked ores - insert stack, insert total fuel requirements, go do other stuff, come back to grilled meats"

Fish rate is a great idea. Crops already insta-grow with bonemeal, which is relatively easy to obtain, just run around outside your house in the morning after the skellies burn off. More farming options might include unlockable apples, fruits, vegetables, cocoa plantation, etc.

One of my favourite ideas from a mod is falling logs. When you cut the lowest log block of a tree, the rest of the tree falls down into log block drop items and saplings. I'd like to see this but with some limitation.

I'd also like to see something for the lumberjack to quickly and efficiently deal with those giant oak trees - those things are a real nuisance. Maybe a power axe that harvests up to 5 blocks of wood at a time, recursively?

Most xp orbs will come from mob kills. I'd like to see two things: 1) a non-mob-kill source of xp orbs, e.g. breaking certain special non-retrievable blocks like mob spawners; and 2) a way to commit xp orbs to resources without having to access a NPC village. Obviously, you don't want people buying and selling them. But you do want to have the option of choosing to invest in something special, through NPC, or trade them in towards more supplies or food or something you need (i.e. homemade ingenuity).

Posted Image

Bloq
    Bloq

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:04 AM

Wow guys, thanks for all your great ideas!!

I really wouldn't have thought I would get positive feedback, I thought I would get flamed or just get 'meh'!

If Notch/Jeb doesn't add this then I'll learn how to mod and do it myself XD

Another idea is, if you lose XP on death, do you also lose your skills? Maybe there would be milestone, so say if you get  one skill and die, you lose it, but if you get 10 you keep 10 on death, even if you have 15.
Posted Image

SabbyKat
    SabbyKat

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2691 posts
  • Minecraft: SabbyKat

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:15 AM

This board is for confirmed 1.8 content. Jeb and Notch confirmed skills are 1.9 or later. Thus, I have to CRUSH your Dreams and end this...

If you guys are mad about not being able to talk about 1.9, yell at the mods to make the board. :P
Once again, I return from the Shadows. Soon, so very soon, I will show you all the terrors of my mind in a tangible form... :D

iLiekMudkipz
  • Location: Wouldn't you like to know. ;) Okay, okay. England. :P
  • Minecraft: RawrImAMudkip

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:30 AM

They are all good ideas, but I don't think it's for Minecraft. I hate that Minecraft is turning into a RPG. If I wanted a RPG I would have bought Terraria, damn it.

NeonJ
    NeonJ

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 864 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:39 AM

I think the 7 skills should be this.

Melee - Boosts critical damage, boosts critical change.
Ranged - Boosts arrow damage, reduces arrow spread, increases snowball knockback.
Defence - Chance to negate damage, chance to half damage.
Vitality - Increases maximum health by 1 heart, up to 20.
Mining - Faster dig speeds, no double drops.
Agility - Sprinting takes less hunger and is a bit faster.
Fishing - Better chance to catch fish, can catch bigger fish which heal more.

Some of the Minecraft elements [Eg: Crafting, Building] won't work when put into a skill system, imo.
Posted Image The name's Cirom, a BLU KAG archer of awesome. Click the archer to join me in KAG!

Neocheese
  • Minecraft: B2dluck

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:00 PM

probably mcmmo kind of stuff

Menolith
    Menolith

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Minecraft: Menolith

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:52 PM

1 in 100 chance of getting two diamond picks at once?
I like the idea.
Posted Image

hammerassalt
  • Minecraft: hammerassalt

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:57 PM

For construction it could be something like you get more building material from crafting like 5 plank blocks from wood instead of four more half steps, stairs ect.

Bloq
    Bloq

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:09 PM

View Posthammerassalt, on 01 September 2011 - 03:57 PM, said:

For construction it could be something like you get more building material from crafting like 5 plank blocks from wood instead of four more half steps, stairs ect.

That's actually a pretty good idea, but I think that has the same effect as Crafting.
Posted Image

Bloq
    Bloq

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:47 PM

Gonna add images now.
Posted Image