• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Server OP Trouble

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

randomclone5995

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:21 PM

i cant make myself a server OP on my server because when i put my name in the .txt it goes to lower case when i start the server.. my name is Dead_Souls so the D and S goes to lower case and i can't find any way to fix this anyone got ideas?

Edit: even when i do it in cmd to OP myself it dont work..

Register or log in to remove.

Fr3Runn3r

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:22 PM

when you are in the server type /op Dead_Souls into the command line.
Death is an art and I'm painting a masterpiece, a shot never taken is a shot missed.
Don't you hate it when people ask for +'s, I prefer to earn them.

EpicMetaKnight

In the server cmd, just type op yournamehere

pizza41
    pizza41

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1112 posts
  • Minecraft: bartsmit41

try typing this in the console op Dead_Souls

Reikou
    Reikou

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 836 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:23 PM

View Postrandomclone5995, on 30 August 2011 - 02:21 PM, said:

i cant make myself a server OP on my server because when i put my name in the .txt it goes to lower case when i start the server.. my name is Dead_Souls so the D and S goes to lower case and i can't find any way to fix this anyone got ideas?

If you are running a bukkit server then when the black window comes up then type "op Dead_Souls"
and it should work,however if its official minecraft server program then it should work if you just type Dead_Souls in the txt file otherwise i have no idea.
Need more space for my sig and if i helped you then be sure to press the green + button near the right corner of my post,it's like saying thanks but better :D.

EpicMetaKnight

Also, if you want to be op....Turn off the server, and THEN add yourself to the ops.txt and start the server.

MineTimelapser
  • Minecraft: MineTimelapser

Or let another op say, / op yourname

rigelmaster

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:25 PM

lower case and uppercase dont matter really

for instance i got a player on my server called Vydrakk and i wanna tp him i can type /tp Vydrakk "myname" or /tp vydrakk "myname"

Posted Image

randomclone5995

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:25 PM

i did it in the .txt but it changed my letters to lower case also i tried to do it in the cmd and it didnt work and i know i reset my server many times it wont work :/ and i have a bukkit server

wacossusca34
  • Minecraft: Jarcode

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:27 PM

There's no possible glitch that is known of that could be causing you issues here. You are making a simple mistake, make sure it it typed out EXACTLY.
You are one person in a planet of seven billion people, on one of eight planets in a solar system, in one of millions of solar systems, in one of millions of galaxies. You're pretty insignificant.

randomclone5995

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:28 PM

i did and it still didnt work i even did it in the cmd and it didnt work :/ and when i did it in the cmd it put my name in the .txt the same lower case letters

AGMangoJuice_97

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:29 PM

View Postrandomclone5995, on 30 August 2011 - 02:28 PM, said:

i did and it still didnt work i even did it in the cmd and it didnt work :/ and when i did it in the cmd it put my name in the .txt the same lower case letters
in the txt file it is mean't to be lower case...
Posted Image

Reverend_D
  • Minecraft: ReverendD

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:32 PM

View Postrandomclone5995, on 30 August 2011 - 02:21 PM, said:

Edit: even when i do it in cmd to OP myself it dont work..

Provide more information for better help.

Server Type (Bukkit, Vanilla, etc)
Mods/Plugins Installed (if any)

Posted Image

Posted Image

randomclone5995

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:34 PM

64 bit server bukkit just made it everything is new

Reverend_D

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:41 PM

View Postrandomclone5995, on 30 August 2011 - 02:34 PM, said:

64 bit server bukkit just made it everything is new

Any plugins at all such as Essentials or Permissions?

If not, then your name in the ops.txt file should be enough, and do not worry about case as it appears Minecraft and Bukkit are not case sensitive.

As a side note, make sure you are also listed in the white-list.txt file if you are not running in offline mode.

Are you looking for something specific that you want to do as an Op in the game such as spawn items? What are you attempting to accomplish? Maybe that will help some knowing that.

~Rev

Edited by Reverend_D, 30 August 2011 - 02:42 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

randomclone5995

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:43 PM

yes i have Essentials and GroupMang

and when i join i cant even do /help

even when i remove all plugins and restart server i get same thing

EpicMetaKnight

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:45 PM

Have you fiddled with the plugins at all?  That may be causing it.

Reverend_D

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:52 PM

View Postrandomclone5995, on 30 August 2011 - 02:43 PM, said:

yes i have Essentials and GroupMang

and when i join i cant even do /help

Okay, with Group Manager you need to add yourself to the Admin group.

Go into plugins/GroupManager/worlds/[worldname]/ and open the users.yml file. (do not user windows notepad, use something else like Notepadd++, there is a portable version if you do not want to install it, google portable Notepad++)

Replace your name (case doesn't matter) in one of the slots with the group being Admin, like below:

users:
  User1:
	subgroups: []
	permissions: []
	group: Moderator
  User2:
	group: Builder
  User3:
	group: Owner

Replace the parts where I typed User1, 2, and 3 with the actual users that are going to join. Change the group name to match the correct group (Owner, Admin, Builder, etc).

Now here is the catch, yml files are very picky. You cannot use tabs, only spaces. And if you goof it up it will not work properly. Check the Essentials Wiki for a link regarding yml files. Not sure if copy/paste of my above file will work for you or not as extra spaces may end up being included.

Test it out and let us know. Also, stop the server before making the changes then restart it.

~Rev

Edited by Reverend_D, 30 August 2011 - 02:53 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

randomclone5995

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:52 PM

i removed all plugins and its on online mode i got everything right but every time i just even try /help it says sorry dave but i can't let you do that -.-

Edit: i even have myself already added in the Groupmang as admin i did that thinking that would fix it but it didnt

i have 64bit OS but going with a 32 bit server might be better?

Reverend_D

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:08 PM

View Postrandomclone5995, on 30 August 2011 - 02:52 PM, said:

i removed all plugins and its on online mode i got everything right but every time i just even try /help it says sorry dave but i can't let you do that -.-

Edit: i even have myself already added in the Groupmang as admin i did that thinking that would fix it but it didnt

Sounds to me like one of the yml files is goofed up. Try deleting everything and start with a fresh Bukkit server from a fresh extraction of the zip file.

Once unzipped, add yourself to the ops.txt and white-list.txt files. Start the server and let it create a new world. Try using any commands once you connect. If this works then stop the server, adjust the server.properties file as you want it and save, start the server, connect and test again. If you can use op commands this way then your server is fine.

Now, stop the server and  make a backup of it somewhere else so you can return here if need be.

Create your plugins folder in the same directory that the Bukkit server is in and place your essentials jar files in it. Start the server and make sure everything loads. Stop the server and go back to the plugins directory, it shoudl have created all the subfolders and config files.

Locate the users.yml file for the new world that you created and edit as needed as in the post above. Make sure you do not use any tabs, spaces only, and do not modify the overall structure. Give it a test.

~Rev

Posted Image

Posted Image