Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1165 posts
  • Minecraft: zuned11

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:22 AM

For those of you who care...

I am making the OHD2M movie.

Hopefully for realz this time.

I've decided to do it in animation because it will be easier for some parts, with the rest being very easy for me to control.

I was wondering, what would be the best software to use, and the easiest for a beginner to pick up on? I could probably find some tutorials, but I'd like some opinions from the community first. Whats got the best plugins, the best renders, the best god-knows-whats? (Those were just terms I've heard thrown around.)

I'd prefer fairly simple to use/learn, some kind of Minecraft kit, and really rather quick.

Please help. For the movie. :(
I'm wrote a story. You should read it.
100 Days to Mine
Already read it? Try the sequel,
Vagrants of the Mine
Bored of reading? Try my Youtube for some LP's!
zuned11's Channel

Register or log in to remove.

Nickname97
  • Minecraft: Nickname97

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:24 AM

Yes! Please help us! We are working to get a trailer out with what we have now. We really want to know what you guys think are the best 3D imaging programs.
Check out my minecraft story by going to my profile!
Posted Image

Crashty
    Crashty

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:26 AM

indeed D: I made an epic failed attempt to make one using Blender dx

Darkaine

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:33 AM

There are many many different modelling solutions but I can't think of any free ones off the top of my head that allow rendering (with the exception of Blender I think). Ill look around though.
Posted Image

Nickname97
  • Minecraft: Nickname97

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:39 AM

View PostDarkaine, on 29 August 2011 - 05:33 AM, said:

There are many many different modelling solutions but I can't think of any free ones off the top of my head that allow rendering (with the exception of Blender I think). Ill look around though.

We don't care if they are free or not. We have a budget.
Check out my minecraft story by going to my profile!
Posted Image

KillerTheGuy_

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:32 PM

wow great! I hoped for a movie about OHD2M movie! please let it be a good one! i can't help, editing minecraft animations is not my thing!
Posted Image

randosity42

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

use blender, for a minecraft animation its going to look indistinguishable from maya or 3ds. Also Blender probably has the most intuitive UI(imo)

fm87
    fm87

Beyond the Horizon

• Members
  • 22016 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:05 PM

Use blender.

It's free, powerful (if you are not new to 3d modeling, in which case, if you are, all programs will be a pain in the ass and suck for you), and quite versatile especially if you can utilize the python integration.

Wolley74
    Wolley74

Creeper Destroyer

• Members
  • 6487 posts
  • Minecraft: Wolley74

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:10 PM

http://usa.autodesk....112&id=14185424 Autodesk Maya may be free for 36 months if you qualify for it, worth looking into, if not, Blender like everybody else said

View Postbobthemagicrabbit, on 24 July 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

I'm an atheist, and i honestly dont care what the Pope says about me. After I die, Im not going to heaven or Hell, I'm going to get put in a box and rot in the ground. Or cremated and have someone mix my ashes with pot and smoke me. That would be awesome

Mr 005
    Mr 005

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • Minecraft: mr00five

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:51 PM

Actually, autodesk does support student discounts i believe

Regaurdless, blender is a very powerfull program.  Completely capable of doing just about anything you can do in Maya.  I strongly reccomend it even though it has a steep learning curve, but then again all good 3d programs do.
Posted Image

randosity42

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:31 AM

View PostWolley74, on 02 July 2012 - 11:10 PM, said:

http://usa.autodesk....112&id=14185424 Autodesk Maya may be free for 36 months if you qualify for it, worth looking into, if not, Blender like everybody else said

Yea its pretty easy to get the free student version, except that it has to be used non-commercially, and everything you make with it has a watermark.

ConservativeParty

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:23 AM

View Postrandosity42, on 03 July 2012 - 02:31 AM, said:

Yea its pretty easy to get the free student version, except that it has to be used non-commercially, and everything you make with it has a watermark.
I have the student versions, but i dont get a water mark
The Commies count their quarters and the ArtSci wish they could, the Engs have the longest pole and slam it home for good, so big, so hard, so tall, it reaches all the way to heaven, so shut your hole, we climbed the pole, we're sci 1 ­ing 7!!!