• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Do the creepy cave sounds mean anything?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

jeremyvl
    jeremyvl

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:54 AM

I hear those noises all the time in monster caves, even ones I've 98% cleared out.  When I dug my own mineshafts, I would not hear those noises at all...until a few ago, when I started hearing monster noises behind the walls, as well as those creepy cave noises.  Turns out, there was a very small, narrow void space nearby -- no monsters, but they probably despawned.  Since then, I haven't heard the creepy cave sounds at all.

So...am I right to assume those noises indicate a dark zone/potential spawn point nearby, even if I don't hear any monsters?
[....] [Pig]
[,,,,] [Pig] [,,,,] [,,,,]
[Pig] [Pig] [Pig] [Pig] = my response to anyone who recommends Peaceful Mode.
“Two things are infinite: the Universe, and human stupidity.  And I'm not sure about the the Universe.” -- Albert Einstein

Register or log in to remove.

Kris18
    Kris18

Creeper Destroyer

• Members
  • 5865 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:55 AM

Not really much. Just to scare the shit out of you. :Notch:

Gutchovsk
  • Location: Sit Right There,I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel-Air

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:59 AM

Sniffing minerals after while will make the miner it'self hear illusionary sounds xD

Just kidding, that can be something like the Hell plane monster tempting to catch you, but you're not touchable, but you can hear then screams of hate..buahahahaha

Or Just Imaginary sounds that your miner hear when then mine too depth and in the slightly dark areas for a long time (I known fact this one)
Posted Image

xNightmare said:

WiseGuy57 said:

ammon97 said:

Damn you, Herobrine...

Mod edit: Warn issued for trolling.

So I guess mods on this forum don't understand sarcasm then?

Mod edit: Warn issued for posting off-topic.

lul.

Mod edit: Warn issued for spam.

Gotta love those moments!

jeremyvl
    jeremyvl

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:08 AM

Gutchovsk said:

Sniffing minerals after while will make the miner it'self hear illusionary sounds xD

Just kidding, that can be something like the Hell plane monster tempting to catch you, but you're not touchable, but you can hear then screams of hate..buahahahaha

Or Just Imaginary sounds that your miner hear when then mine too depth and in the slightly dark areas for a long time (I known fact this one)
LOL, I know exactly what you mean...sometimes I'll even "hear" the sounds when I'm not even at my computer, such as walking through a dark pedestrian tunnel at night... :Glass:  :--+:  :Glass:

Rameses707

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:13 AM

It summons the Fire Witch.

You cannot run.

You cannot hide.

The Fire Witch will kill you.

You will die.

Good Luck ;-)
Posted Image

marfig
    marfig

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1607 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:18 AM

The sounds are entirely random, or so it seems. You may hear them even inside your house, or out in the open during daylight. You may hear them on well known areas, where before there was no sound. I have never detected a pattern to them. Except for one case:

It seems you get a higher possibility of firing a creepy sound when looking from a lit area into a darker area. I seem to detect a larger frequency of creepy sounds when this happens.
I was trying to think of a signature and this is what came up.

BlueFeena

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:33 AM

marfig said:

It seems you get a higher possibility of firing a creepy sound when looking from a lit area into a darker area. I seem to detect a larger frequency of creepy sounds when this happens.
This, but with a slight modification.  I'm pretty sure creepy sounds play in dark areas, I know I've heard them through walls, and of course, I hear them when I'm entering a dark area (as you described.)

I'm pretty sure a "creepy sound" is at least a tip off that there's a cave system or some very low-light blocks nearby.  I'm not sure what the light value is, (pretty low, I'd presume) and I'm not entirely sure if there has to be a minimum of X numbers of blocks under Y units of light.

I'd love see some research on this, personally.

jeremyvl
    jeremyvl

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:44 AM

BlueFeena said:

marfig said:

This, but with a slight modification.  I'm pretty sure creepy sounds play in dark areas, I know I've heard them through walls, and of course, I hear them when I'm entering a dark area (as you described.)

I'm pretty sure a "creepy sound" is at least a tip off that there's a cave system or some very low-light blocks nearby.  I'm not sure what the light value is, (pretty low, I'd presume) and I'm not entirely sure if there has to be a minimum of X numbers of blocks under Y units of light.

I'd love see some research on this, personally.
I used to hear creepy cave noises in my house all the time, and assumed they were coming from the super-massive cavern system deep, deep below, even though it was nearly cleared out.  However, I've recently done some major remodeling work on my house, which included filling in many small "void" spaces with no light (too small to spawn monsters) and since then, I haven't heard the noises at all.

GodOThunder

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:47 AM

I hear those noises whenever I'm near a cave system. Or when I'm randomly in the dark.

9skilled9 said:

So you can feel in minecraft. It must be your troll senses tingling.

Yoshemo
    Yoshemo

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Minecraft: Yoshemo

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:53 AM

Actually, I've read that those sounds play if theres an open area of at least 3-5 blocks within 10 blocks of your position with less than 3 brightness. Even if you're looking at it
STUFF

Inbijiburu

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:55 AM

I don't think so. I've been out in day light ontop of my own base and the creepy music goes. I think it was supposed to mean there was a cave or something near by.
Fishing Rod > Diamond Sword

qwertyuiopthepie

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:27 AM

No, that would work if you had a dark cave within ten blocks under you in less than three brightness.

triggerfin
    triggerfin

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • Minecraft: Tfin

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:03 AM

I think the voids above my in-wall chests generate these sounds.
Fan Metric: Franc Time!

Sycko
    Sycko

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:53 AM

The last time I dug towards the sounds, I fell into a horde of zombies and well, I died. Next time I find my self lured by the sirens I need to hit mute and gtfo.
Posted Image

AFatPuma

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:50 AM

They mean my stomach is getting the rumblies...that only hands can fill 0.o :(
GENERATION 16: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

fatbaby
    fatbaby

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:43 PM

AFatPuma said:

They mean my stomach is getting the rumblies...that only hands can fill satisfy:iapprove:

Fixed, llamas with hats FTW
"He's trolling the game mechanic itself. And succeeding."

Apersonhere

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:47 PM

It means...Get out

TheLazyTooth

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:33 PM

I heard them while digging into a cave. three blocks digging later I found those stones you use to create a teleporter to nether.

joeyjoeymc
  • Minecraft: joeyjoeymc

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:49 PM

Ambient sounds require that a space at least 3×3×3, entirely at light level zero, be positioned ten to twenty blocks away from the player in any direction. The space does not need to be sealed off - a sound can even play from a space that the player can actually see - nor does the player need to be underground to hear it. The sounds can also come from player-created spaces, even if that space is a box above the clouds.

Courtesy of the minecraft wiki.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Shotgun Steve

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:51 PM

I've always hated hearing those sounds, but no matter how well dig into that area, there's no empty pocket. I'm just not a very good miner, I think.  :iapprove: