• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Using the Nether for fast travel

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

techmetallover

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:26 AM

Hello, I like many others am eagerly awaiting 1.8, however I've had the same world now for a very long time and really dont want to part with it.
That said I obviously want to enjoy the new terrain etc 1.8 will bring, so my Q is this:
How far in the Nether do I need to travel in order to generate new chunks once I'm through the portal?
I'm in the process of digging myself a tunnel which is quite long now but I have no idea if it will work and wondered if someone knew, ive searched a bit but found nothing on it, there must be other people out there doing the same thing, or is everyone starting new worlds?
Thanks x

Register or log in to remove.

Toastertron3000

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:29 AM

It depends how far you have explored in the real world.  Im pretty sure its like 10 blocks in the real world is one block in the nether or something like that.  I suggest you use a minecart track with boosters to go far :P.

Grewwwsum

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:29 AM

I dont care im going to make a new world each step is 8 blocks so go pretty far but not that far

Posted Image
A double resolution graphics pack that stays faithful to the originals.

TheAwesomeFaceKing
  • Minecraft: WeAreAnonymilk

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:31 AM

One block in the nether is 4 blocks on the surface world

When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead.

Their = Possession  There = Place They're = They are. LEARN IT.

techmetallover

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:34 AM

okay, so it's dependant on how far out ive gone in my world. hmmmm I see, this is gonna have to be one looonnnnggg minecart track then :/

Darkspyre
  • Minecraft: Darkspyre

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:40 AM

I believe nether is 8x the distance travelled. so therefore, you make a 10-block tunnel, you'll come out 80 blocks away.
In-Game, I have the same Username. In-Game,  am also a Walrus. In fact, I am an Aesome, Friendly, Hug-Giving, Ninja, Pirate, Magic, Gentleman Walrus. This also applies to me in real life

Posted Image

Kyudos
    Kyudos

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:41 AM

View Posttechmetallover, on 24 August 2011 - 12:34 AM, said:

okay, so it's dependant on how far out ive gone in my world. hmmmm I see, this is gonna have to be one looonnnnggg minecart track then :/

Just use MCEdit to remove the chunks you've explored but haven't built anything in. Then they will get regenerated with the v1.8 world generation routines and include all the new goodies.

Slamaster
  • Minecraft: Slamaster

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:41 AM

This is what my friends did and are going to do on our serer:

We made a tower to the top of the Nether and then dug a looooooooong tunnel that led faaaaaaaaar away from our spawn. Then we made another portal there that led to a whole new area to explore. Afterwards I made a long minecart track all the way down the tunnel.

Note: The only downside to building your portal at the top of the Nether is that it will also spawn near the top of the overworld, so you will need the proper materials (sand or gravel and ladders) to get back down.
Posted Image
Made by lapischocolate (aka filbert_phang)! All credit to him!

techmetallover

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:30 AM

thanks for the tips guys, will look into MCEdit and Ill try my tunnel idea too.

llamallord21

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:42 AM

I didn't even use MCEdit, but i made a path in the nether that's about 5 minutes long. straight - shaped like this. Just bring tons of cobble, tons of stone picks, and torches, if you so desire.

:cobblestone:  ::  :cobblestone:
::  :cobblestone:  ::

b3st
    b3st

Carpenter

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:11 AM

if it helps i think every 2 blocks in the nether is liking walking through one chunk in the normal world (16 blocks)
so this means you should build a tunnel 2 blocks long for as many chunks you want to go away from your home area
hope this helps
Posted Image

Zergy6
    Zergy6

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 624 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:34 AM

One chunk is 36x36x128 if I remember correctly. One block in the Nether is equal to 8 blocks in the overworld, so, to traverse one chunk you would have to walk approximately 5 blocks in the nether (equal to 40 blocks in the overworld) to get to the next chunk in the overworld. In the Nether, though, you'll still have to walk 36 blocks in any direction.
ಠ_ಠ
I disapprove.

DoTheDew
    DoTheDew

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Minecraft: DoTheDew

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:01 AM

Personally Ill be doing a Minecart track in the nether for the update as well. I already have it done, and another track beside it set for storage carts to make the "move" go smoother.

It is almost a 17 min ride, and I'm going to hate it. I refuse to use McEdit since my world has never had a 3rd party program run on it (personally I take pride in that, to each there own).

I also dont want to start a new map and have the same map I have had since before the nether update gather dust. To many of my loved legit builds on it, such large stock piles built up, so many fond memory's.

Also the nether = 8 blocks in the over world on the x and z axis. The Y axis attempts to stay the same.
Do The Dew!!

FlashbackJon
  • Minecraft: FlashbackJon

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:11 AM

Just to clear up a few misconceptions:
  • 1 chunk = 16x16x128
  • 1 block in the nether = 8 blocks in the overworld
  • 2 nether blocks = 1 overworld chunk
HOWEVER, if you make a portal from the overworld to nether, you will need to walk ~128 blocks in the nether before creating another portal, or else it will simply link back to your existing overworld portal.

tl;dr Version: For your plan to work, you'll need to walk more than 128 blocks in the Nether.
This next test is very dangerous. To help you remain tranquil in the face of almost certain death, smooth jazz will be deployed in three. Two. One. [SMOOTH JAZZ]

Nexusfurian

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:51 AM

ok what everyone is saying is true but there is an issue with nether portals right now ... that you will be taken back to your original starting place unless you are something like 1000 blocks away (real world blocks) ... search the threads for portal theory, though i know one thing that will help a LOT is your first portal ... destroy the nether side of it and build a new portal.  the new portal will have different rules since you created it and it didn't auto create because the auto generated portals follows a completely different logic circuit since it is often not built RIGHT where you normally would come out (it looks for the best place to put it down to help the player)

if you destroy and rebuild your original portal what you do is take the coordinates of your normal portal in the real world and take the X, Y, Z and divide the numbers like this X/8 y Z/8 (also try to build it in the same direction as your normal portal you can do this by placing a block of cobble in the real world and seeing which way the L on the top end is facing and then do the same in the nether) after you find the exact location of your normal portal (while standing in the nether build a new portal and light it ... the new portal should lead to the right place AND allow you to place a new nether portal MUCH closer and get the desired results (worst case senario when 1.8 comes out duplicate this but build one inside the nether and then go though your original portal and hoof it to the same location outside of the nether (X*8 Y Z*8) and manually build one outside of the nether as well at the desired location for your new "starting" zone) ... again check the minecraft thread about portal theory though to make sure im right :)

katherin_sanders
  • Minecraft: hampsterrr

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:51 AM

Ohh building a tunnel in the nether is awesome. I did something similiar and was planning on getting the rail achievement too. 1 km turned out to be more than I thought...It gets especially difficult when I had to build over a 300 block long lava ocean.

Avoiding attacking ghasts is obviously the main hazard. What I did was simply build one part and when a ghast attacks I run away and build another section. I did that mostly above the lava ocean.. before that I simply killed them.

Here are some pics ^^

Inside my rail tunnel

Posted Image

My latest building over the lava ocean(I managed a 1 block path to actual land.. now building the tunnel)

Posted Image

My finished tunnel with rails and all(done about 400 meters worth of rails)

Posted Image

techmetallover

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:55 AM

oh wow, I wake up to more replies :) okay so thanks for the tips guys I'm now satisfied, I have to go more than 128 blocks in the nether for it to generate anything new. Seems I'm gonna have to make a minecart track, and I dont have any gold :( this is gonna take a while lol

@Katherin that track looks awesome, I'm gonna have to do the same, theres open spaces everywhere in the Nether.

Trapiki
    Trapiki

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • Minecraft: Trapiki

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:03 AM

View PostFlashbackJon, on 24 August 2011 - 05:11 AM, said:

Just to clear up a few misconceptions:
  • 1 chunk = 16x16x128
  • 1 block in the nether = 8 blocks in the overworld
  • 2 nether blocks = 1 overworld chunk
HOWEVER, if you make a portal from the overworld to nether, you will need to walk ~128 blocks in the nether before creating another portal, or else it will simply link back to your existing overworld portal.

tl;dr Version: For your plan to work, you'll need to walk more than 128 blocks in the Nether.

Actually, if that happens you can just manually realign them, I have two portals in the nether that are not from each other at all.

Sheltered

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:18 PM

One tip I can give is to use a map. The map we can create in game is 1024x1024 in size. Use it to find out how far you have traveled from your base in at least one direction. Make a note of the distance (you can also use F3) and multiply it with 2 or 3 to find your new base location.

Remember that you will probably do a lot of exploring in the new land as well. Maybe more than you have now. That is why you would want to multiply the distance. It's basically to make sure you don't explore back to your old base.

Divide the number by 8 to find out how far you will need to travel in The Nether.

I will personally travel about 1024 blocks in the Nether before making a new portal. That way I know for sure that I will be at least 6000 blocks away from any previously explored area. That is a very very large area (unless you choose to go straight through it.)

I know a lot of people do a massive (compared to me) amount of exploring so this procedure might not be feasable for eveyone.

Hemlas
    Hemlas

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 452 posts
  • Minecraft: Hemlas

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:39 PM

how about checking the wiki? http://www.minecraft...and_Fast_Travel
All the information in there is correct
Like videos? Check out my channel:
http://www.youtube.c...emlasAdventures