29 replies to this topic

MineCrak
    MineCrak

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4132 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:17 AM

-- How to get Slimes --
* For making Sticky Pistons, or just for fun. Posted Image + And now for POTIONS too!!!
(If new versions change any of this, please post about it here)

** Starting with beta 1.9pre5 Slimes can spawn up to y=40 ! Be careful where you put your bed...

1) Find the correct map chunks with the online tool below, or do the calculations, or use one of these Mods:
- trunkz original slimemod, KingCold999's SlimeChunkFinder, or Rei's Minimap which may be the easiest way.

- AMIDST, the incredible Biome mapper tool (and more) is also able to show which chunks in a world can spawn Slimes. It's a fantastic tool that I recommend everyone check out! Fast Biome maps of any Seed without a map, or a direct scan of an existing map, your choice.

1a) It might be possible to find Slime-Chunks by sleeping in a bed within slime height range to see if you are woken up by them attacking you in that area, if not then try again the next night in another area. ( Let us know if this has worked for you. )

2) Carve open 2 block high rooms (16m x 16m x 2m high) in that chunk from bedrock up to no higher than level 16, or level 40 in b1.9pre5 or Newer.
* 2 high rooms force slimes to break into smaller easier to fight slimes, doing some of the work for you.

3) Slimes spawn about 1/10th as much as other mobs, they spawn in light or dark (doesn't matter)
4) Stay at least 25 blocks away from the spawn chamber or they won't spawn, but stay within 128 blocks.
5) Only attack them with Fists or arrows to get best Slime drops. * In b1.9pre5? you can use any weapon with no apparent loss of drops (according to some reports).  

-- I actually tend to make the spawn chambers (17x2x17) due to the coords, just to make sure. Posted Image

Here is an Online tool for finding which chunks on your map can spawn Slimes:
* Starting with b1.9pre4, the Top of the chart is now North and Sunrise is on the Right side.

** Prior to b1.9pre4, the Top of this chart/map was EAST (Sunrise) ingame, North was to the left side.

- Minecraft Slime Finder -

*  The chunks Slimes can be found in are determined by an algorithm that  uses  your worlds seed as a part of the equation. So if you don't come  across  them by chance then you will save much time by using this tool.

Here is the thread about the Slime Spawn finding Tool:

Find Slime spawning Chunks
Slime & Spawning Info - Earlier thread with other Info

* The tool and those threads were made by trunkz (Thanks trunkz!) Posted Image
---

Here is a great thread with a non-automated Slime Farm Blueprint!
Here is a video guide for a Fully Automatic Slime Farm!
Also, the Slime - Wiki -

---

Register or log in to remove.

Smuck
    Smuck

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1620 posts
  • Minecraft: Smuckie

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:24 AM

Question, is the slime spawning mod compatible with Too Many Items / Zombe Flymod?

jf46784
    jf46784

Zombie Killer

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 237 posts
  • Minecraft: jf46784

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:28 AM

It would be compatible with TMI. Not sure bout the other one. I'm guessing it would though.
I'm a modder! Need help with some code? Send me a PM!
If I helped you in any way, then help me by pressing the green +.

Smuck
    Smuck

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1620 posts
  • Minecraft: Smuckie

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:34 AM

It is compatible, thanks anyway.

AlcyoneMessalina

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:42 AM

Oh, my goodness!  I just tried this today and was scared because of the comments about it not working.  I finished level 1 of my slime farm anyway and began working on level 2 and turned the level from peaceful (while making the huge cavern) to easy--and insta-slime!  I'm so excited!  Thank you!

BreDaBeast

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:28 AM

Please! help! i just cant get them to spawn! i have a 4 chunk area where they'll spawn and i carved the putside of the 4 chunks out from like level 5 i believe and i actually hollowed out 1 of the chunks..so the chunk is 17 by 17 and its 5 blocks high does it need to be exactly 16 by 16? and how high does it need to be?

AlcyoneMessalina

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:57 PM

View PostBreDaBeast, on 02 October 2011 - 08:28 AM, said:

Please! help! i just cant get them to spawn! i have a 4 chunk area where they'll spawn and i carved the putside of the 4 chunks out from like level 5 i believe and i actually hollowed out 1 of the chunks..so the chunk is 17 by 17 and its 5 blocks high does it need to be exactly 16 by 16? and how high does it need to be?

Mine's just 2 blocks high and the size of a 3 chunk stretch of slimy goodness.  I put canals along the outside.  It's like a layer cake--air, ground, air, ground.  It gives them more surface area to spawn on.  With the layers 2 blocks high, you can walk around if need be, and the big ones smash themselves to bits before falling onto the canals.

MineCrak
    MineCrak

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4132 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:38 AM

View PostAlcyoneMessalina, on 02 October 2011 - 07:42 AM, said:

Oh, my goodness!  I just tried this today and was scared because of the comments about it not working.  I finished level 1 of my slime farm anyway and began working on level 2 and turned the level from peaceful (while making the huge cavern) to easy--and insta-slime!  I'm so excited!  Thank you!
Great! I'm glad it worked for you so quickly. :)

View PostBreDaBeast, on 02 October 2011 - 08:28 AM, said:

I would only make the Slime Spawn chambers 2 block's high, but then I did say that in the OP (Original Post). ;) Since you missed that part I'll repeat a couple other parts too in hopes that they will solve your problem:

4) Stay at least 25 blocks away from the spawn chamber or they won't spawn, but stay within 128 blocks.
3) Slimes spawn about 1/10th as much as other mobs,

Other than the trick AlcyoneMessalina used, ;), you must stay at least 25 blocks away from the spawn for them to spawn, and their spawn rate is extremely slow compared to all other mobs, so it could just take a while.

* All that said: The Minecraft Adventure update, all the different version update parts of it, are adding and changing so much in the game that I would not be surprised if the Slime Spawning algorithms have been or are being changed in some ways. I just don't know. The spawn location algo's might have changed since 1.8x or 1.9x and AlcyoneMessalina might have just gotten lucky for all I know.

If anyone finds out about or discovers any changes to the Slime spawning rules please post it here for all of us! Thanks. :)

** But before saying the OP instructions don't work, please please do read them carefully and follow them exactly and give it time first. Thank you.

negative274
  • Minecraft: negative274

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:37 AM

View PostMineCrak, on 22 August 2011 - 09:17 AM, said:

-- How to get Slimes -- (If b1.8/b1.9/1.0 changes any of this, please post it here)
* For making Sticky Pistons, or just for fun. ;) + And now for POTIONS too!!!

** In beta 1.9pre5 Slimes can spawn up to y=40 ! Per GorgeousTaylor. Be careful where you put your bed...

1) Find the correct map chunks with the online tool below, or do the calculations yourself or use the mod.
2) Carve open 2 block high rooms (16x2x16) in that chunk from bedrock up to no higher than level 16
3) Slimes spawn about 1/10th as much as other mobs, they spawn in light or dark (doesn't matter)
5) Only attack them with Fists or arrows to get best Slime drops.

-- I actually tend to make the spawn chambers (17x2x17) due to the coords, just to make sure. ;)

Here is an Online tool for finding which chunks on your map can spawn Slimes:
(Top of it's chart/map is EAST (Sunrise) ingame, North is to the left side)

>- Minecraft Slime Finder -<

*  The chunks they can be found in are determined by an algorithm that  uses  your worlds seed as a part of the equation. So if you don't come  across  them by chance then you will save much time by using this tool.

Here is the thread about the Slime Spawn finding Tool:

Find Slime spawning Chunks
Slime & Spawning Info - Earlier thread with other Info

* The tool and those threads were made by trunkz (Thanks trunkz!) :)
---

Here is a great thread with a non-automated Slime Farm Blueprint!
Here is a video guide for a Fully Automatic Slime Farm!
Also, the Slime - Wiki -

---

** It looks like if you keep the Slime spawn chamber down to only 2 blocks high it will automatically "break" the largest slime into medium ones when they spawn, reducing the threat! :)
You said to be careful with beds. Couldn't you use them in well let rooms below height 40 to find slime chunks without the tool? (For Legitaholics.)
Posted Image

MineCrak
    MineCrak

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4132 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:21 AM

View Postnegative274, on 03 November 2011 - 01:37 AM, said:

You said to be careful with beds. Couldn't you use them in well let rooms below height 40 to find slime chunks without the tool? (For Legitaholics.)
I've heard that idea and it makes sense. Worth a try. :)

If anyone does find this to work as a reliable means of finding Slime spawn chunks then please post your findings here.

And keeping the ceiling in such an area only 2 high will at least insure that you are only dealing with the smaller & smallest varieties of Slimy-Fapperous hovering over your bed when you awaken. ;) (Why does this make me think of some sort of twisted Incubus situation?)

tharglet
    tharglet

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • Minecraft: tharglet

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:44 AM

View PostMineCrak, on 22 August 2011 - 09:17 AM, said:

5) Only attack them with Fists or arrows to get best Slime drops

I was told that overkill now doesn't stop the splitting/dropping in 1.9+ so you might wanna check that.
Posted Image
Here there be dragons. Please click to help it grow :) (If it's in fog, it's unwell and not in need of clicks)

MineCrak
    MineCrak

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4132 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:16 AM

View Posttharglet, on 03 November 2011 - 08:44 AM, said:

I was told that overkill now doesn't stop the splitting/dropping in 1.9+ so you might wanna check that.
Good to know! That's exactly the kind of thing we need to know regarding new versions, thank you.

Anyone with any direct confirmations on this out there? Please let us know.

farmdve
    farmdve

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:36 PM

Can someone decode this for me? "16x2x16"

I dont get it.

RustyXXL
    RustyXXL

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1262 posts
  • Minecraft: RustyXXL

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:06 PM

View PostMineCrak, on 03 November 2011 - 11:16 AM, said:

Good to know! That's exactly the kind of thing we need to know regarding new versions, thank you.

Anyone with any direct confirmations on this out there? Please let us know.
I can confirm that from my experiences. They split even if you do overdamage now, same as the Magma-Cubes.

View Postfarmdve, on 03 November 2011 - 12:36 PM, said:

Can someone decode this for me? "16x2x16"

I dont get it.

16 wide, 16 long and 2 high....but I would recommend 3 or 4 high, as you'll be able to get huge slimes, too, wich will give you much more slimeballs at the end. the 2 high is from pre 1.9, because you had to get them splitting, wich could be pretty hard. This part is now obsolete.

MineCrak
    MineCrak

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4132 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:28 PM

View PostRustyXXL, on 03 November 2011 - 01:06 PM, said:

I can confirm that from my experiences. They split even if you do overdamage now, same as the Magma-Cubes.

16 wide, 16 long and 2 high....but I would recommend 3 or 4 high, as you'll be able to get huge slimes, too, wich will give you much more slimeballs at the end. the 2 high is from pre 1.9, because you had to get them splitting, wich could be pretty hard. This part is now obsolete.
Great thanks! Do you know which version of b1.9pre that started with?

RustyXXL
    RustyXXL

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1262 posts
  • Minecraft: RustyXXL

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:46 PM

View PostMineCrak, on 03 November 2011 - 01:28 PM, said:

Great thanks! Do you know which version of b1.9pre that started with?
I don't really know, but I would guess the same one where the magma-cubes were introduced, as they seem to share the same code for splitting. But I noticed it just now, because I was getting huge slimes in a very big cave-system. Had to fight a bunch of skellys and creepers, too, and didn't want to change weapons for this slime ;)

Homem Pigman

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:14 PM

The online tool is for cheaters. Real players find slimes while mining in caves!

:Turquoise: We need a slime emoticon.

Posted Image

sunperp
    sunperp

Solar Moderator

• Sectional Moderator
  • 2341 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:33 PM

I setup my slime areas as 3-high so that I could get giant slimes that are barely able to move, which makes them easier to handle if you have to deal with multiple giant slimes at the same time.

MineCrak
    MineCrak

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4132 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:58 PM

Actually, this isn't true. Large slimes spawn in 2 high rooms as much as in 3 or 4 high rooms. They just suffocate until they split into the next size slimes. Having a 2 high ceiling instead of a 3 high ceiling just does some of the work for you and makes the resulting slimes easier to deal with.

So unless a person deliberately desires to have a Slime Arena, I will still recommend a 2 high room for farming.

Cyanid
    Cyanid

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2980 posts
  • Minecraft: Scartail

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:14 PM

I don't like slimes. I was using a flatmap close to bedrock and got a slime infestation. :c