How To: Host a LAN MineCraft Party
Posted 07 July 2009 - 12:08 AM
You want to download this .zip file and make sure you have the latest MineCraft Server version.
NOTE: Everyone attending the LAN party has to download the .zip. Only the host has to have the server.
1) Decompress the Zip folder to the location of your choice.
2) Navigate to the decompressed Zip folder, right click on MineCraft.html -> Open with -> Notepad
3) Open your web browser, navigate to your server's URL (the server does NOT have to be on) presented in externalurl.txt
4) Right click anywhere in the background of the web site's page, then "view source".
5) Scroll down until you find three lines that read:
On line one you want to replace 127.0.0.1 with the private IP of the server. You can obtain your private IP by opening a command line on the server box (aka CMD) typing ipconfig, and finding the line that says "IPv4 Address: 192.168.XXX.XXX"
On line two replace 25565 with your port number. You should know how to find this.
For line three you want to open Externalurl.txt, and copy everything to your clipboard EXCEPT "http://www.minecraft.net/play.jsp?server="
Now you want to go back to the MineCraft.html file, and replace "8866955e32c64ff036f70f05d595075d" with what you just copied.
6) Save the MineCraft.html file, re-zip it, and distribute to everyone in the LAN party. Instruct -ALL- of the following steps (7++) to the people the file was distributed to, including yourself. You may now close all windows.
7) Unzip the file you received to any location, then open the folder you unzipped.
8) Open a web browser, then go to any multiplayer server, right click on the background, and view the source.
9) Scroll down until you see some lines that look similar to this:
10) Copy these lines, then go to the folder opened in step 7, right click on the MineCraft.html file, then open with -> NotePad
11)Scroll down untill you find something similar to:
and overwrite with the lines copied in step six. This logs you in as your username in the server. The 17 X's is an encryption to ensure that you are who you are logging in as and that you are not logging in as someone else.
12) Save the file, have the host start the server, and open MineCraft.html in a web browser.
NOTE: If the host machine is not connected to the internet or you do not wish any outside players to join, simply change the server to private. It will solve your problems.
Do I need to be connected to the Internet to run a Minecraft server?
No, you do not need to be connected to the Internet to host a minecraft internally. However, if you are not online, even though you can be, you have to set the server to private so it does not try and run heartbeat.jsp. You also need to skip instructions for step five, line 1.
How do I upgrade the package manually if I (LiamZ) hasn't done it?
You can download the new Minecraft server package and simply overwrite, and make sure it is ONLY this file -- Minecraft-Server.jar
Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:40 AM
Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:13 PM
Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:01 PM
Quality of output = Skill * Effort
Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:26 PM
Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:03 PM
#SMP Channel Founder/Owner
Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:11 PM
For future reference, Legacy; if you want to bomb around these forums playing cops and robbers, fine - but a simple report will suffice. There's no need to address people directly about supposed infractions, especially when they aren't causing any problems.
Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:16 PM
(Alas this is old and doesn't work last i believe. Minecraft server doesn't allow old clients.)
#SMP Channel Founder/Owner
Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:20 PM