Loginithegreat, on 05 May 2013 - 07:07 AM, said:
Hey, I'm currently trying out the new version, and everything seems to be working fine! I only have one problem, and that is that in the dark forests, the mist wolves spawn in fine, but King Spiders do not. The druids will spawn, but without their 8 legged buddies. I'm not sure if this is a spawning issue or what, as the King Spider spawn egg works fine, but in the actual biome, only the druids spawn.
The king spiders only spawn rarely, not because their spawn rate is set particularly low, but because the of their large size. The game essentially picks random spots within a certain radius of the player in which to spawn monsters, but it will only actually spawn them if their hit box is clear. Larger monster = less success spawning, it seems like.
neway, on 05 May 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:
Also had a portal glitch. Go in to the portal, says "building world" or something like that then i see stars, sky goes dark, start to see the outline of the portal but it is all dark grey, then on minimap all the numbers start dropping, then go in to negative numbers, then I seem to appear and my first appearance in to this twilight map is "player suffocated in wall"..
Because I died it reappears me at the spawn point which happens to be bang in the middle of a hedge maze, but I go through the black sky and falling and land on top of the hedge, so by the time I land I am down to 2-3 health. and no armour or weapons. double
playing on 1.5.1, so just a heads up that there may be a glitch somewhere. Also use TC3 but had this problem with crazy portal position before using TC3, last time it was underground in a ravine, made a nice platform that had a nasty first step.
Also just starting this map for TC3 and wondering if the nodes and trees appear for TC3 in Twilight realm. Have had a quick look through this topic but not seen anything.
I fixed some of the portal mechanics in the most recent version, 1.17.2. Was this using that version? If so, I may have to go back to the drawing board.
For your Thaumcraft question, IIRC, nodes will, trees will not until I add the Twilight Forest biomes into the Forge biome dictionary. I'll try to do that in one of the next few releases.
jmarchus, on 05 May 2013 - 03:20 PM, said:
Here are a few things I came up with:
- More minor structures; and medium ones as well.
- Can you make the large features not generate in a grid-like pattern, and make it more random? Maybe just have a maximum/minimum amount of blocks for them to be spaced, if that makes sense. Right now they're too easy to find, and a magic map really isn't necessary. If they were more randomized, than that would increase the difficulty and make magic maps more useful.
- Can you make the mayappes be shaded biome-wise like grass blocks and tall grass? It looks a little weird in the swamps, and especially fire swamps.
- Misa's Texture Pack is glitching when it comes to the Twilight Swamps. It makes the grass a reddish purple (no, these aren't fire swamps, I know the difference!). I may just post this on the texture pack thread, because Misa's Pack has a few problems with vanilla swamps, like if you install it wrong it turns the foliage this color. But if you can do anything, that would be nice. I love the mayapples anywah though.
- Also, on the day-by-day changelog, the most recent entries say "March". They should say "May".
I had a few more suggestions, but for now I'll just stick to these. I don't recall what the other ones were, either....
Thanks for the suggestions!
1. The last few releases have included more minor structures. I intend to add more. It's a surprisingly time-consuming task. Maybe I need to improve my workflow on those. Medium structures have a few issues. First, it's sort of difficult to find clear space for them with all the trees. Second, if they're bigger than a chunk, I need some way to avoid having them intersect each other or the major features. Third, I may want some sort of algorithm to make sure they're evenly distributed, maybe.
I did have a system that addressed some of those, but it worked through the Minecraft biome generation, and I kept getting strange glitches. So, for the time being I'm focused more on completing some of the major features I have planned.
2. The system right now places the features in what is the "seed" location for the biome. On average, it's the location most likely to be the center of the biome, but individually, that's not always the case. The goal is to put the features in the middle of a biome partly because some features are designed only for certain biomes. Anyways, what I'm getting at is that I'm not really a fan of the grid either, but it solves certain technical problems with the world generation that I haven't been able to get around any other way.
3. I'll look into that.
4. Some texture packs seem to only have valid colors for vanilla biomes. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do about it. I don't want to only use the grass colors that vanilla uses.