• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Mattchew
    Mattchew

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:09 PM

It was my understanding there was one vein per chunk, apparently not. Can someone clarify this?

Register or log in to remove.

Rammite
    Rammite

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 865 posts
  • Minecraft: Rammite

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:11 PM

I hear there can only be one chunk of a maximum of 4 ores. It's possible for them to, miraculously, align themselves with other diamond viens in other chunks to create the illusion of one every large one.

Infernograve
  • Minecraft: BlackIce100

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:11 PM

I'm not sure. There used to be a program that analyzed world data and gave the amount of each ore per chunk, but I think that was abandoned in Alpha.

Reikou
    Reikou

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 836 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:13 PM

This is one topic i have been searching for a long time,i do not believe that there is only 1 vein per chunk as there are at least 2560 blocks that the diamonds can spawn in a chunk.
Need more space for my sig and if i helped you then be sure to press the green + button near the right corner of my post,it's like saying thanks but better :D.

GamingGuy
  • Minecraft: Gaming_Guy

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:14 PM

Diamonds spawn in groups of 1-4 and can be mined with an iron pickaxe or higher.

FLUDDcario
  • Minecraft: FLUDDcario

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:17 PM

View PostMattchew, on 15 August 2011 - 02:09 PM, said:

It was my understanding there was one vein per chunk, apparently not. Can someone clarify this?
The Chunk can have more than one vein, because most seeds generate veins and other things randomly. For example, there can be a dungeon, and another generated around it like this: Example
Spoiler:
Posted Image

Reikou
    Reikou

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 836 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:18 PM

View PostGamingGuy, on 15 August 2011 - 02:14 PM, said:

Diamonds spawn in groups of 1-4 and can be mined with an iron pickaxe or higher.

Diamonds spawn in groups of 1-8 not 1-4.
Need more space for my sig and if i helped you then be sure to press the green + button near the right corner of my post,it's like saying thanks but better :D.

Megaloneus
  • Minecraft: Megaloneus

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:53 PM

View PostGamingGuy, on 15 August 2011 - 02:14 PM, said:

The first part was incorrect and unrelated to the question. The second part is common knowledge and unrelated to the question.
Quote me to be sure to get a response!

WTFClock said:

He who lives in a water house should not throw sponges.

Mystify
    Mystify

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4899 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:01 PM

I think the metric of 4 diamonds per chunk was a measured average, not the game evenly distributing them, but I am not 100% sure.

Megaloneus

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:07 PM

View PostMystify, on 15 August 2011 - 04:01 PM, said:

I think the metric of 4 diamonds per chunk was a measured average, not the game evenly distributing them, but I am not 100% sure.

Ah, that would make sense. I'm going to go check the Wiki's layer by layer block distribution chart, just be make sure.

Edit:

http://www.minecraft...OreByHeight.png

There's a link to it, for anyone who wants to double-check my math.

Edited by Megaloneus, 15 August 2011 - 04:09 PM.

WTFClock said:

Megaloneus

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:13 PM

Using the ore chart, I got a total of about 7.68 diamonds per chunk, but I used a lot of estimation when reading the chart, so there's probably a margin of error of at least 30%.

WTFClock said:

faloxx
    faloxx

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2507 posts
  • Minecraft: faloxx

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:29 PM

i had 6 diamonds in 1 vein, 6 diamonds/chunk? with luck 8/chunk
Empty until this forum gets it's old signature possibilities back...

Peppe
    Peppe

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1215 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:46 PM

View PostMattchew, on 15 August 2011 - 02:09 PM, said:

The world and ore vein generation attempt to be random.  The game may average one diamond vein per chunk, but that does not guarantee there is one per chunk.

If you are looking for diamonds check out the branch mining or other mining techniques to improve your efficiency.  The number of diamonds you find is typically proportional to how many blocks you can expose in the diamond layers.  The brute force method is to just mine out tunnels, but if you find cave systems or lava caverns, it is faster to explore them exposing many blocks at once.

Example mining methods:
http://www.minecraft...g#Branch_Mining

Generally people make 1x2 tunnels in the diamond sweet spot: layers 10-16.  Usually you separate the tunnels by at least 2 blocks, so you have tunnel wall wall tunnel = 100% visibility on your walls.  
Some analysis of ore vein shape/sizes showed it is slightly more efficient to have blind spots between your tunnels, so tunnel wall blind wall tunnel or tunnel wall blind blind wall tunnel.  Veins are rarely completely vertical or completely horizontal, so  even if it starts in your blind spot it often exposes at least one block on a visible wall.

Lava fills in most air gaps layer 10 and below, so most don't actively mine below layer 10.  Diamonds layer 6-9 are usually too risky or time consuming to pursue.  If you are are standing on layer 10 making tunnels, you can find diamonds at your feet (layer 10), the blocks you expose in front/around you in layer 11 and 12, and the blocks above you layer 13.   You can then do another branch mine above your lower one, standing on 14, mining 15 and 16, and have 17 above you.  Or stagger your second floor of the mine and start a floor lower to expose different blocks on layer 13.

jainaseagol

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:48 AM

It attempts to be random, but usually it's not.  There's always a set percentage of finding ores at their respective levels.

Chickens are spawning in my house!  Help!  PLEASE!
Your house has been compromised therefore you must blow it to hell.

Ovus
    Ovus

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2141 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:09 AM

Diamonds spawn up to 8 in a clump. I've found clumps of 8 plenty of times. I believe it's about one cluster per chunk, though I could be wrong.

I mine a lot.
CONQUEST!

D:

khosumet
    khosumet

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 553 posts
  • Minecraft: Khosumet

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:51 AM

If one is very lucky, the entire spawn area for diamond COULD theoretically be diamond for an entire chunk.