Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[WIP] The Twilight Forest

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Benimatic
  • Minecraft: Benimoto

Posted 14 August 2011 - 03:38 PM

Imagine stepping through a portal into a twilight realm, filled with trees as far as they eye can see.  Breathtaking vistas and amazing discoveries await you around every corner.  But beware!  Not all denizens of the forest respond to your intrusion lightly.

Posted Image

So, I've been working on this project feverishly since I first got the idea about a month ago and I thought it might be time to post some screens and get some feedback.  So take a look and please post your thoughts, ideas, criticisms, etc.

The idea of the mod is that it will be an alternate dimension like the Aether mod.  The current plan is that you will open a portal from the main Minecraft world by building a ring of mushrooms, and perhaps throwing in a rare item or something as a sacrifice.

Posted Image

The Twilight Forest realm is an endless world like regular Minecraft.  Nearly all of it is densely forested.  It has more of an enchanted or faerie tale feel than the main Minecraft world (think the Brothers Grimm, or something more contemporary like Pan's Labyrinth or Princess Mononoke.)  The skies are perpetually at sunset (though this may change slightly), giving a darker, somewhat gloomy cast to the world below.  An overstory of larger trees further shades most of the world below, creating a canopy covering most of the world (so thick that you can actually walk on it most places.)  The canopy is pierced only occasionally by massive trees that rise to the ceiling of the world.  Many of these trees are hollow, and some may contain valuable woods at their core or rare and useful types of leaves on their branches.  The terrain is flatter, or at least less mountainous than regular Minecraft, but you will occasionally encounter hills, sometimes rising far above the canopy level.  These hills are hollow too, containing caves filled with valuable ores, treasure and dangerous monsters.

At the current stage, I've worked almost solely on world generation.  I've not added new blocks or creatures yet, so everything you see in the screenshots is something you could theoretically build in regular minecraft.  Rest assured that I didn't build all this by hand.  Instead, it's all the product of massively revamped world generation code.  Let's go over the implemented features one by one.

Posted Image

1) A flatter, lower, grassier world:
To make room for the giant trees, the base level of the terrain is pushed way down, to the point where you're normally walking at what would be diamond level in regular Minecraft (around altitude 16 or so).  It also irons out many of the mountains and cliffs (though don't worry, I've got my own hills).  Since there's not as much rock, the cave generator is disabled, though I've got different caves in the hollow hills, and I may add ice caves into the glaciers and more standard rock caves under the highlands.  As a side point, there's no deserts, or really any sand at all in the forest, so I may have to add a new way to get glass.

Posted Image

2)New biomes:
I added abound 7 new biomes, although some of them are fairly rare.  Unlike in regular Minecraft, the biomes have the power to change the terrain levels so some of them are much more obvious.  Highlands are atop high cliffs, swamps are slightly sunken, and glaciers create massive ice walls.  There's also a few transition biomes to smooth your way into the swamps or glaciers, and a mushroom biome almost entirely covered in fungus (and when Notch adds giant mushrooms to regular Minecraft, those will appear here too.)

Posted Image

3) Trees, trees, trees:
There's lots of standard minecraft trees that you might encounter in the deep forests of regular minecraft, but I've added new ones too.  As I mentioned in the intro, there's a new type of tree that creates a canopy over most of the world.  And I'm sure you've seen the trees so big that I had to lower the ground to make room.  There's a few other new ones too, including mangrove-type trees in the swamps.  As an aside, the trees in the screenshots are currently using existing types of wood and leaves, but I plan to give them each their own bark and leaf textures eventually, as well as possibly new saplings that you can being back to your existing minecraft world.

Posted Image

4) Ancient ruins and other structures:
The Twilight Forest has existed for millennia and has seen the rise and fall of countless civilizations.  At present there's about a half-dozen types of ruins and other structures you can find in the world, but I have plans for more.  These are intended to give the place more of a mystical feel, to give the player an impression that more is going on in the world than they can comprehend at first glace.

Posted Image

Posted Image

5) The Hollow Hills!:
You may see these rising in the distance in the screens taken above the canopy layer, but that can't prepare you for what you'll find when you mine into one of these (or find them naturally cracked open by geological forces.)  Ores glitter on unreachable stalactites above, lit occasionally by glowstone.  You'll want to bring plenty of torches though, as the hills are defended by monsters.  If you persist you may even find a treasure chest or two.  There are several sizes of hill, and the larger hills have rarer ores, more valuable treasures, and of course, more and more dangerous monsters.

Posted Image

6) SMP support:
The mod is currently (mostly) working in SMP too, so you can bring a friend on your adventures. :) In fact, since there's no new blocks or monsters yet, you can connect to a modified server with a plain vanilla client.  That will of course have to change once I start adding critters and blocks though.

That's the major features right now.  I'm not nearly finished though, so here's a short list of my ideas for the future, as well as some concerns I'm having.  If you have more ideas or possible solutions, I'd love to hear them.

Posted Image

Ideas:
1) More creatures, of course
The current plan is to replace the existing pigs, sheep and cows with wild pigs (and boars), bighorn sheep (for the highlands), and deer (and stags).  Beyond that, there will be witches in the huts, trolls or orcs or goblins in the caves, unicorns in the forests, and minotaurs in the mazes (that's another idea, by the way, mazes.)  Maybe even more exotic things too, like multi-block snakes, or boss monsters like a troll king or the mystical white stag.

Posted Image

I also plan to add smaller, more decorative creatures.  These may even just be implemented as a type of block.  The torches on the trees in the screens will be replaced by either giant fireflies, or a type of flower that attracts lots of smaller ones.  The trees will have the occasional cicada, and the ponds and swamps will have frogs that all combine to create more "generic nature noises" in the forest.

2) New blocks!
Nothing set in stone (ha ha) yet, but I'm sure I'll add plenty of these.  I mentioned the light- and noise-making creature "blocks", as well as new woods, and new leaves.  And of course there will have to be jar blocks full of fireflies to light your house.

3)Mazes!  Waterfalls!  Streams!  Insect Hives!
Okay, really I have tons of ideas.  But I want to hear some of yours too.  :)

Posted Image

Well, I've rattled on long enough, and it's time to go to work.  Please post with your comments, suggestions or concerns.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

flector
    flector

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 03:44 PM

This looks amazing, man. It's really beautiful. I love the glaciers. I can't wait to see what new stuff you add.

View PostMagickal, on 03 July 2011 - 12:38 AM, said:

You tried pushing them with a piston.
That'd piss me off.

bagrisham
  • Minecraft: BackUpChili

Looks amazing, great Idea

HubbaBubba
  • Minecraft: MeneerGuus

wow, this is great, but i think you should change the name a bit, and put mod in it, but this looks great man! but like the aether, will you put new mobs and items in the biomes?

Amphios
    Amphios

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Minecraft: Amphios

Posted 14 August 2011 - 03:49 PM

Holy crap, I just looked because I thought it was a silly post about the Twilight Saga. I ended up reading the entire thing. First question, does it work for Bukkit servers. If it does, please provide installation instructions (or not, I dont exactly know how complex it is). Second is, when will this be out for download (ties in to the first question).

Great job, it's a new 'area' which I've always wanted. I get bored of the Nether and Aether as it's the same just opposites.

Cant wait for a release.

Frost01
    Frost01

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Location: Aperture science labratories, the home of portal and all things portal-ish

Posted 14 August 2011 - 03:53 PM

This looks positively amazing, I don't suppose you've read the Shadowmarch book series? Because this reminds me so much of the twilight realm the Qar live in. Really good job, I only wish I had the idea myself =P. (And the ability to do it)
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Y6ljFaKRTrI
^The Portal Song!^

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=b6Q_koTHB54
^Taste the cake song!^

The cake is NOT a lie!

Tim_Kb
    Tim_Kb

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:21 PM

Looks amazing already! If you can come up with some great new blocks that would make it even better!

I may have some suggestions (mostly mobs, which you might have thought of yourself)

Ents: Since your in a forest dimension pretty much anything forest related is an option. This is probably one example you've already thought of. Some amazing living trees would really be a cool addition.

Man-eating plants: Some cool monster plants that can be a great danger to you and/or your friends

Treedwellers: Dark humanoid creatures which were once dryads but who used their power for evil purposes. That have the power to pass through wood and leaf materials and which will will only appear at night or in dark places, Just when you thought your back was safe in front of that tree...

Dryads: Naturally in a magic forest dryads (treespirits) would fit in very well. It's a passive mob, which when given a gold ingot will fully heal you with their magic powers. When given a diamond they give you the boots of treedwelling so you can pass through wood materials as well. Don't equip while climbing trees! They can usually be found in randomly generated treehouses, but can also be found just taking a walk down the forest.

Owl: passive mob, drops feathers. Would seem like a great addition to the atmosphere to me!

Giant Owl: every time you kill an owl there's a very small chance one of it's friend might appear who doesn't really agree with what you just did. Convince him otherwise (with diamonds) to get an epic flying mount which will also defend you against monsters and can easily be healed with both bullrush seeds (if you liked that idea) or normal seeds. Or don't tame it and kill it for up to 20 feathers! (they can be tough though)

Bullrushes: Some areas look really swampy therefor a bullrush would seems to be a great addition! Will drop wheat as well as some bullrush seeds when destroyed (i know it's not realistic but, hey it's minecraft!)

Generated wheat: I think it could look good on the more swampy places!

Troll of darkness/light (fits since it's called twilight forest) : A troll that is friendly when it's day (even when underground) and who's even tamable with cookies (or something else you've had in mind). When it's dark it will attack you (and will look different) and it won't be tamable, unless you've tamed it when he was a troll of light. If you tamed it before it will turn into a tamed troll of darkness which, unlike the one of light is able to fight other mobs for you. The troll of light can also slowly repair your equipment (one at a time).

Twilight flowers: appearance changes depending on wether it's night or day.

Banshees: Only spawn in hollow hills. Due to the loud noise they make, they will show you when your nearing hollow hills. Glowing Female ghost, that will drop glowstone on death.

Living tree stumps. A friendly mob, which however doesn't like being stepped on. If you would they will launch you in the air! You can use this to your advantage when you would for example like to climb a tree.

Treetop fruits: These will give you a reason to climb to the top of those giant trees! They'll heal 5 hearts when used. Also when eaten they'll prevent any falling damage for 15 seconds (so you can jump down from the tree for example)

Treetigers: These tigers have adapted themselves to be fantastic tree climbers and will might even hunt you down if you don't watch out! Will drop tree leather when defeated. You can craft armor out of it that will grant you the ability to climb just about any blocks (just like spiders).

I might post some other suggestions soon, but I have to go eat diner now. Hope you like some of them :3

Your mod looks great anyway! I'd actually even want it as a normal world generator right now if i see the images. But as a seperate dimension it would be simply AWESOME!

Looking forward to your future updates! :3
Posted Image
Please check out my mod idea! You might like it :3

RubbahBand

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:32 PM

Great idea!
I absolutely love it!

Lord_Cerberus

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:01 PM

some ideas:

- ruins of a wizard tower
- a tree house where the witch maybe lives
- darker colors for the swamp, muddy water
- vines
- a dead/evil forest, with black tree trunks ,lava pools and burned grass

creatures that would fit the twilight realm:
- werwolf
- fenris
- tree spirits/ghosts
- the enderman
- pan
- giant, ogr, cyclops
- necromants
Posted Image

Royal_McKeogh

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:14 PM

watch it that the glaciers don't look too ugly, would you be willing to put up a save game with some of the stuff you have? I would love to take a look around  :)

Tim_Kb
    Tim_Kb

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:33 PM

More suggestions (maybe you find some which you like):

Mushroommen: Passive mob, that will fight back once you hit it. Easy way of obtaining mushrooms and fit with the forest setting.

Twilight concepts:

Light Twilight Blocks: Twilight blocks are blocks that Appears depending on wether it's day or night. For example when it's night this one will disappear and if it's day it will reappear, watch out you don't get crushed! They can be mined with iron or better.

Dark Twilight Blocks: do the opposite of light blocks. Same stats though.

Temple of The Night: A dungeon that only opens in the night so entrance is made of Light Twilight blocks.

Temple of Daylight: Opposite

Dark/Light Twilight tools: Works as good as diamond but only work when it's day/night depending on if you made Light Twilight tools or Dark.

Dark/Light Twilight armor: Same as the tools but with toughness. Light Twilight armor will only grant armor when it's day for example.

Twilight Warriors: Mobs that are basically warriors with Twilight equipment. In the Night they do slightly more damage but have less health than during the day when they do slightly less damage. Both their equipment and appearance will change depending on the time of the day.

Perfect Twilight tools/armor : Rare drop of Twilight Warriors and also as dungeon loot. Tools/Armor that change in the appropriate kind of Twilight tools/armor depending on if it's night or day. For example if it's day they take the appearance of Light Twilight tools/armor and so on.

Twilight Trees: change appearance depending on time of the day.

Twilight dirt: Same

Lute of Daytime: Can turn the Night into Day (rare dungeon item)

Harp of Nightfall: Can turn Day into Night (rare dungeon item)

Changeling: Dark Humanoid creature that turns into you equipped with one of your swords if it sees you and it has at least as much health as you do! (so will be weaker when you're damaged) Drops one of your items (if your lucky one of your diamonds or equipment)

Whisps: Passive Floating mobs that only appear at night and glow, will drop Glowstone on Defeat.

Since you've got all kinds of ideas already I think I'll stop for a moment. Let me know if you need any more!
Posted Image

Benimatic

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:11 PM

Thanks for all the great ideas and feedback.  I like a lot of the ideas, and I especially like the idea of disappearing/reappearing blocks depending on what time it is.  I'll have to play around with that sometime and see if I could get that working. :D
Posted Image

Purple_Lamplight

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:18 PM

Oh man this look awesome! Dunno why but it reminds me of the Twilight from Legend Of Zelda Twilight Princess
Posted Image <-- Click that link or something.

Glenn
    Glenn

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 945 posts
  • Minecraft: GlennA

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:48 PM

You have no idea how much i was thinking "EPIC" all the time.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Tim_Kb
    Tim_Kb

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:38 AM

Awesome: I found those blocks my best ideas as well :3. Though i have seriously no idea how hard it is to code, I figured it could be possible because the watch already uses coding that works with time. Maybe you can base the coding on the watch? Though i have no idea how you can do the disappearing/ Reappearing. Hope you figure that out though.

Anyway,  it would be cool if there were some ruins that become complete in the night due to the fact that the disappearing/reappearing part are made of that kind of stone, that would be really cool. Maybe chests with the same ability! So you can actually look again at certain ruins to see if it was made of that material and be rewarded for it with hidden loot! These guys made a changing sword like the Duskfang/Dawnfang in Oblivion, maybe they can help you out ? http://www.minecraft...the-elders-mod/
But good luck with the coding! Since you managed to code one epic world generator, I'm confident you can do it! :3.
Posted Image

Benimatic

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:17 PM

Posted Image

Working on deer and bighorn sheep today.  Might still need a little work, but it's good start.
Posted Image

Tim_Kb
    Tim_Kb

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:23 PM

View PostBenimatic, on 15 August 2011 - 08:17 PM, said:

Posted Image

Working on deer and bighorn sheep today.  Might still need a little work, but it's good start.

Really like them! In fact, I like your deer more than the one from Mo' Creatures!  And they also perfectly fit with these awesome forests you've created :D
Posted Image

Lord_Cerberus

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:59 PM

View PostBenimatic, on 15 August 2011 - 08:17 PM, said:

Posted Image

lol, its a bambi deer ^^
great work =) keep it up
Posted Image

TautwiZZ
    TautwiZZ

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:12 PM

Loving this new dimension :)
I hope you keep working on this! Good luck!
Check out my own Simple Texture pack! CleanColors 1.8b
[img#]http://img683.images...6412/packdx.png[/img#]

Sunnigen

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:02 AM

Bighorn - Make the horns bigger and allow the rams to be aggressive after you hit one :)