Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Age Range and Maturity

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

nashlock929
  • Minecraft: nashlock929

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:17 PM

This post is to get a general idea of the range of ages and maturity levels of the people who play minecraft. I saw a post earlier with tons of people arguing about why 14 year olds are immature and decided to see what the age range of minecraft actually is. Hope you can help me out!

Sorry for not including certain age ranges if yours isn't listed or you feel offended in any way feel free to let me know. Thanks.

If you were in the age range of 19-29 or 20-29 you may need to redo your vote as this error has been changed.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Sky Explo

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:29 PM

To be honest 16+ is kind of... untrue? I know I was a lot more immature when I was 16 than right now. I'm sure we have other 20 year olds like myself here as well.

Why not make it 16-18 and add a 19+ option? People from 19 and on are usually much more mature- from personal experience anyway.
BUT I SWER I DEDNT EATED IT
Posted Image

nashlock929

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:34 PM

View PostSky Explo, on 13 August 2011 - 06:29 PM, said:

To be honest 16+ is kind of... untrue? I know I was a lot more immature when I was 16 than right now. I'm sure we have other 20 year olds like myself here as well.

Why not make it 16-18 and add a 19+ option? People from 19 and on are usually much more mature- from personal experience anyway.

Alright thanks for the suggestion!
Posted Image

Darkmiles
    Darkmiles

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 517 posts
  • Minecraft: Darkmile

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:36 PM

I am 13 :)

Age hasnt got to do with maturity, Some people are mature, and some aren't.
Posted Image
An expert is someone who takes a subject you understand and makes it sound confusing.

nashlock929

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:43 PM

View PostDarkmiles, on 13 August 2011 - 06:36 PM, said:

I am 13 :)

Age hasnt got to do with maturity, Some people are mature, and some aren't.

I know, thats why the polls are separate. There is no way to tell which age groups have voted for each level of maturity. I just wanted to see how wide the spectrum is.
Posted Image

InfestedZombie
  • Minecraft: InfestedZombie

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:44 PM

I like the idea but i dont know if the maturity poll is going to be really accurate.  Honesty is in short supply with the immature.

-I got a fever, and the only prescription, is moar Minecraft. Posted Image

nashlock929

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:47 PM

View PostInfestedZombie, on 13 August 2011 - 06:44 PM, said:

I like the idea but i dont know if the maturity poll is going to be really accurate.  Honesty is in short supply with the immature.
True, true.
Posted Image

Ocelot60
    Ocelot60

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4852 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:48 PM

I'm 15, and incredibly mature 90% of the time...

Beechlgz
    Beechlgz

Obsidian Miner

• Retired Staff
  • 1421 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:50 PM

View PostInfestedZombie, on 13 August 2011 - 06:44 PM, said:

Ditto this post. I think most people would like to vote themselves far more mature than they really are. With 10 being the most mentally mature person and 1 being the least, most average people would be very generous towards themselves to be giving themselves anything more than a 5.

thePrez
    thePrez

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:53 PM

19+ is your upper age limit? You might not realize this but putting the upper age limit at 19+ you're only going to get answers from those below 19. You've seriously dissed all older players who now feel insulted for being fans of such a kids game.

I assure you that as Minecraft sells more copies, the average age will go down, but us earlier players tended to be working adults. You're the one complaining about the age of users in other posts- imagine how I now feel.

I'm 31 years old.

nashlock929

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:54 PM

View PostBeechlgz, on 13 August 2011 - 06:50 PM, said:

Ditto this post. I think most people would like to vote themselves far more mature than they really are. With 10 being the most mentally mature person and 1 being the least, most average people would be very generous towards themselves to be giving themselves anything more than a 5.

Well yes that is true but the point was to see where people would place themselves on the maturity scale. Which, in turn, would show that some of the people that rated themselves higher on the scale are immature for making themselves seem better.
Posted Image

PapaSmurf
  • Minecraft: TheRickMurphy

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:17 PM

Aside from the problem of people reporting themselves as being more mature than they actually are your poll also doesn't account for the fact that maturity is not a constant.

Someone may be able to handle their professional life in a mature manner and keep a steady job. Yet they may never have any long-term relationships because they handle many personal situations in an immature manner.

Probably would be better to keep this discussion simply at age range if you're really looking to collect some data on the forum users. Bringing maturity into the discussion is just going to turn this thread into another flaming shitfest.

LightSpawn
  • Minecraft: LightSpawn

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:18 PM

I'm 16, and I do consider myself mature for my age. Of course, I've trolled my share of threads and I've said my share of stupid things, but I'm mature most of the time. Especially on the servers, I don't want the people I play with to think I'm an asshole, so I keep my maturity in the servers
Posted Image
Did I help you with anything? Don't forget to click that little greeny button in the corner of my post :) Used Comic Sans, umad?

Ogris
    Ogris

The Meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything...

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:19 PM

Anything above a 5 for maturity is really pushing it. But hey; But if you really want to get a general idea of maturity here, go browse through a few topics, subjective rating is NEVER going to be anywhere near accurate.

nashlock929

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:22 PM

I get what you all mean about maturity. I am just going to leave it and see how many people actually think that they are mature.
Posted Image

WhisperingSiren
  • Minecraft: Aurora_Swan

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:27 PM

I would simply like to point out the clerical error that leads me to having multiple choices on which to pick for my age range. I am 21, and there are two places currently for those 20-29. Just figured I'd give you a heads up. I think I'd like to make another poll trying to figure out at what point in the game people began to play for different ages... just to build on what somebody else noted, to test it out, as it were. Thanks for the idea.
Posted Image
I have iridescent wings,/I am angel-/They are black/Deep as the black Abyss of Space but Stars/glinting across flecks of green, blue, yellow,/red, gold, and silver.

nashlock929

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:41 PM

View PostWhisperingSiren, on 13 August 2011 - 07:27 PM, said:

I would simply like to point out the clerical error that leads me to having multiple choices on which to pick for my age range. I am 21, and there are two places currently for those 20-29. Just figured I'd give you a heads up. I think I'd like to make another poll trying to figure out at what point in the game people began to play for different ages... just to build on what somebody else noted, to test it out, as it were. Thanks for the idea.
Thanks for pointing that out! I have fixed it.
Posted Image

WhisperingSiren
  • Minecraft: Aurora_Swan

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:46 PM

Because of how polls work, you may need to have people in my age range redo theirs. Their results don't move, just the text changes. People may have just noticed the first range that fit them and picked it, or figured they fit both so picked one at random. I'm not sure how much you care about the accuracy of the results. Just figured I'd point it out.
Posted Image
I have iridescent wings,/I am angel-/They are black/Deep as the black Abyss of Space but Stars/glinting across flecks of green, blue, yellow,/red, gold, and silver.

nashlock929

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:53 PM

View PostWhisperingSiren, on 13 August 2011 - 07:46 PM, said:

Because of how polls work, you may need to have people in my age range redo theirs. Their results don't move, just the text changes. People may have just noticed the first range that fit them and picked it, or figured they fit both so picked one at random. I'm not sure how much you care about the accuracy of the results. Just figured I'd point it out.
Thanks again.
Posted Image

1484Kenji
  • Minecraft: 1484Kenji

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:27 PM

I voted maturity level one for my own safety.

People who think they're mature don't live as long.

>:-)
Posted Image