• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Tips for making great adventure maps!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Tips for making great adventure maps! (105 member(s) have cast votes)

Did this help you? I really would like to know?

1. Yes, thanks, it did (53 votes [50.48%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.48%

2. No, these are stupid, I am going to go die in a hole (3 votes [2.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

3. BANANAAZ (19 votes [18.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.10%

4. Some where helpful (30 votes [28.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

5. What's an adventure map? (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

KingOfThePixies

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:59 PM

I'm not saying that I make the best adventure maps ever, but after playing quite a few I thing I have found quite a few good tips on making good ones. An adventure map can be improved by doing small little things, and you don't need to be a pro to do them. So wiggins further ado, here are my tips!

1. Building
If the map looks awful, then mediately there will be a negative atmosphere with the player.

1.Make a theme, and stick with it. Pick a colour, style, block, and build with it. If your map is a mess of grass, stone, brick, wood and gravel, then it looks bad, and the player thinks that you have not really grasped the point of your map. Here is a good coded to stand by; for a plain, simple map, use iron blocks (you always want you map to be bright). For a scary one, cobble, obsidian or bedrock is a must. If it's arid and hot, sandstone. And for a water themed use lapis blocks and gold (the gold compliments the lapis excellently). Wood is boring, as is stone, as the player most likely sees it every day when he or she is playing mine craft.  :DPA:

2.Keep things evenly sized. If one room is ten times bigger then the previous one, than it looks uneven. Small rooms are never good, but big ones should always be decorated somehow. Even just a patteron the wall, a window, some paintings, a sign with some text on it, it makes the room mo interesting.   :_:

3.find a good checkpoint system. 'nuff said.  :Zombie:

2. Puzzles
Perhaps the most important bit.

1. Make you puzzles unique. Even if only one of them is, classic annoying puzzles like the water bucket and black wall are easy to make but BORING. Try to make your own puzzles, even twists on classic ones. It is easier thN you think.  :Notch:

2.No stupid puzzles. Don't you just hate puzzles when all they are are lots of leavers and a sign saying 'only one opens the door'. A monkey could design that. If you do make jumping puzzles, make them blend in with the environment, and be  colourful, like jumping around on bookshelves, or if it's jumping on trees, make it in a park.  :YFlower:

3.getting noticed
Really important

1. Make a forum post. Put the map on the forums, and give some screenshots, if  you have a good trailer, than people will practically pay to play it. Make the post colourful, and try to get some good comments on it.  :Frame:

2. Make it easy to install and download. Make a simple media fire of adfly link, and let that be it. No complicated website crap please.  :DPANTS:

3. If someone plays it, win. If you can get a you tuber to play, then people will often play it. Even small ones (don't bet on the yogscast plating it yet!)  :--+:

I hop all this was helpful! Please tell me about you adventure maps, and I will play them, and hopefully advertise the best ones here!
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Fishbro001
  • Minecraft: Fishbro001

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:02 PM

Really helpful tips! Thanks! I think im going to do an adventure map nao :S
LIETUVA

KingOfThePixies

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:07 PM

View PostFishbro001, on 13 August 2011 - 02:02 PM, said:

Really helpful tips! Thanks! I think im going to do an adventure map nao :S

That's great! Thank you!
Posted Image

uglidollal
  • Minecraft: uglidoll

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:11 PM

i love your tips.
will use when i make an adventure map with mods.
Steam is also comparable to many other consoles such as the Xbox 360, XBox 359, PS3 Grill, and BillCosby.-Uncyclopedia
Posted Image

Ocelot60
    Ocelot60

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4852 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:13 PM

I have been making an Adventure Map since Mid-March, it had 3 major segments (Exploration and Preparation, Adventuring, Puzzles) and overall it should be amazing when it's done. It's currently in Beta Testing, here is a video for anyone interested.

Your tips are perfect as well

Fishbro001

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:15 PM

Ok so im kinda new to making maps how do i know where player is going to spawn? is it where i spawned when started making the map or is it the place where i last standed on the map?
EDIT: and can it be changed whit beds?
LIETUVA

Ocelot60
    Ocelot60

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4852 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:22 PM

View PostFishbro001, on 13 August 2011 - 02:15 PM, said:

Ok so im kinda new to making maps how do i know where player is going to spawn? is it where i spawned when started making the map or is it the place where i last standed on the map?
EDIT: and can it be changed whit beds?
Get SinglePlayerCommands and use /setspawn to choose the spawn point, beds can be used as effective checkpoints but are often unreliable because they can only be used at night. Use the command /home to go the original spawn point

Fishbro001

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:24 PM

View PostOcelot60, on 13 August 2011 - 02:22 PM, said:

Get SinglePlayerCommands and use /setspawn to choose the spawn point, beds can be used as effective checkpoints but are often unreliable because they can only be used at night. Use the command /home to go the original spawn point
thank-you
LIETUVA

wync140
    wync140

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • Location: Uhh, im in a dark alley snorting redstone right now
  • Minecraft: wync140

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:43 PM

Yeah i made a couple redstone maps, but never released them
Posted Image

Posted Image

Dr_FancyPants
  • Minecraft: GamersGuild

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:13 AM

This is very helpful, thank you!

(FYI, you might want to fix some grammar problems so you seem more professional and so people will understand you more)
A Story of Love, Action, and Revenge: ERASED:
{ http://www.minecraft...i-story-part-1/ }

AmbassadorArt
  • Minecraft: AmbassadorArt

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:27 AM

Most are good guidelines but some are questionable.  Lots of houses (some good looking) and other stuff is made with wood and planks, and small rooms are used a lot.  A bathroom or checkpoint room shouldn't be as big as a castle's throne room.

Your tips generally make sense, and the themes for building are good ideas.
"The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present."
"There were four people involved; two of them were idiots, one of them was incompetent, and the other one was, well, a good guy." ~ My Father

BLourenco
  • Minecraft: BLourenco

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:37 AM

Tips for making poll: Don't add stupid options. 22 people actually answer the question, and 4 people think they're funny choosing "BANANAAZ".

Anyways, these were helpful tips, and it'd be nice to see more people follow them.
"Punching trees gives me wood."
---------------------------------------------------------
Pain Forest - By Denn

TheTominator13
  • Minecraft: thetominator13

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:18 AM

BANANAAZ!! i was so tempted to press that, but i didnt. This is very helpful since im making one, thanks a lot!!
P.S. i like coconuts better :P
Posted Image

Check it out!

DycoDragon
  • Minecraft: DycoDragon

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

I think sticking to one material is a good tip unless you have themed sections if you get what I'm saying

Enigmopro

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:50 PM

This really gave me some good tips on how to spice up adventure maps. Thanx!
Posted Image [SSSS]

sfolsen
    sfolsen

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:54 PM

great help man. if my next custom map will be a adventure map i will use these tips :)
Also see my custom map:
Posted Image

tasorc
    tasorc

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Minecraft: tasorc

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

Great tip! This will definitely help me with my map. Thanks!
Currently Working on a CTM Map! Will be needing testers soon!

dogcat
    dogcat

Carpenter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Minecraft: KoolKat_Gold

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:33 AM

I will make an elemental rooms map now!
Posted Image
Soon to be made!

dragonspire921
  • Minecraft: dragonspire921

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

Hi, I think these tips are going to be really helpful in the map I want to make so thank u
vvvvveeeeeeerrrrrrryyyyyyyyy much
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image = 7/10 creepers to u!
bwyeee

BryanNCY
    BryanNCY

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:43 AM

Good tips..... Gonna try that later....