Latest News Article

Religion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16265 replies to this topic

budge2379

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

View PostNexyn, on 18 April 2012 - 05:09 PM, said:

lolwut? wrong topic?

What I'm showing is that quoting from books does not make it true. Do wizards really exist because Harry was told he was one?

Register or log in to remove.

Nexyn
    Nexyn

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Minecraft: Elite5

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

View Postbudge2379, on 18 April 2012 - 05:11 PM, said:

What I'm showing is that quoting from books does not make it true. Do wizards really exist because Harry was told he was one?
Are wizards really relevant?
Posted Image

Calypo
    Calypo

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4043 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

View Postbudge2379, on 18 April 2012 - 05:11 PM, said:

You could try to add to the discussion.

budge2379

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

View PostNexyn, on 18 April 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

Are wizards really relevant?

Same category as gods, it's all 'magic'. What I'm showing is quoting from the Bible is not evidence to support a god, hell, or that we should repent.

shadow2379
  • Minecraft: scamp2379

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

View PostCalypo, on 18 April 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

You could try to add to the discussion.
I think it went over your head a little. What he was responding to was the large bible quote that beyblade posted. He was showing that quotes from books, such as the bible, does not prove anything. Quoting from Harry Potter has the same amount of evidence that wizards exist as the bible has evidence that we should all repent for our sins and worship a god. They are both books of which contain stories where we morals to these stories exist.

Calypo
    Calypo

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4043 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

View Postshadow2379, on 18 April 2012 - 05:55 PM, said:

I think it went over your head a little. What he was responding to was the large bible quote that beyblade posted. He was showing that quotes from books, such as the bible, does not prove anything. Quoting from Harry Potter has the same amount of evidence that wizards exist as the bible has evidence that we should all repent for our sins and worship a god. They are both books of which contain stories where we morals to these stories exist.

No, i was reiterating also about his earlier post. He appears to be making snide comments rather than actually debating. I apologise of he was earlier, though, but i'm not prepared to scroll through numerous pages.

shadow2379
  • Minecraft: scamp2379

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

View PostCalypo, on 18 April 2012 - 06:05 PM, said:

No, i was reiterating also about his earlier post. He appears to be making snide comments rather than actually debating. I apologise of he was earlier, though, but i'm not prepared to scroll through numerous pages.
Snide comments? The comment about having a party? Is that the one you mean? Or the one where he provides evidence to evolution, to which Beyblades doesn't read them, but instead makes a snide comment stating that people should post all the evidence instead of proving the source of where the evidence came from? Budge has made loads of great posts on this thread when he joined the thread at the end of last year.

Arkalius
    Arkalius

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1093 posts
  • Minecraft: Arkalius80

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

I'm not sure why people are insisting on arguing with this individual. It seems he's only capable of regurgitating the nonsense they forcefeed you in sunday school and lacks any original thoughts of his own. He even admitted that he and his congregation would take pleasure in the knowledge that otherwise good people will be burning in hell. Why would you even want to converse with such an amoral person?

At any rate, I have no interest in heaven. An eternity in service to a monstrous tyrant whose compassion is continually trumped by his own vanity doesn't sound enjoyable to me. Living under Big Brother, who knows my very thoughts and can convict me of thought crime, who is so easily offended by the most trivial things, who would try to tell me that it is possible for any being to even deserve going to hell, and that something as stupid as telling a lie is enough... no thanks. It's like living in North Korea... except you can fucking die and leave North Korea.

fetusthebard

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

Wy are we still arguing? And why do atheists believe that every Christian is a Bible humping, gay hating, rich and snooty person? Also, where do they come up with these weird ideals about why people turn to religion? I can guarentee that I wasn't like "I don't know how the Earth was created. I'm going to go join a religion so they can tell me!" No. Religion in general is an emotional crutch. When your not strong enough to make it through the day, you look up in the sky and ask the invisible but always present consciousness to help you through the day. You then use his "rules" to follow in your everyday life so that you don't do evil (cheifly, love your neighbor/enemy as yourself). It's a good way to live. It prevents you from, say, killing a family because they looked at you wrong. When you try and demonize a beautiful thing, and when we try to demonize you (even though it is against our own beliefs) I get pissed off. So far, no one has argued with me on this point. Which either means I'm right, or I am too stupid to engage in a debate with. And I highly doubt the later, as I have seen a lot of troll feeding here.
Posted Image

toast_burner

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

View Postfetusthebard, on 18 April 2012 - 06:36 PM, said:

Wy are we still arguing? And why do atheists believe that every Christian is a Bible humping, gay hating, rich and snooty person? Also, where do they come up with these weird ideals about why people turn to religion? I can guarentee that I wasn't like "I don't know how the Earth was created. I'm going to go join a religion so they can tell me!" No. Religion in general is an emotional crutch. When your not strong enough to make it through the day, you look up in the sky and ask the invisible but always present consciousness to help you through the day. You then use his "rules" to follow in your everyday life so that you don't do evil (cheifly, love your neighbor/enemy as yourself). It's a good way to live. It prevents you from, say, killing a family because they looked at you wrong. When you try and demonize a beautiful thing, and when we try to demonize you (even though it is against our own beliefs) I get pissed off. So far, no one has argued with me on this point. Which either means I'm right, or I am too stupid to engage in a debate with. And I highly doubt the later, as I have seen a lot of troll feeding here.
Are you suggesting that morality comes from religion?

Homem Pigman

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

View Posttoast_burner, on 18 April 2012 - 06:38 PM, said:

No, he's suggesting it brings comfort and makes a person calmer.

Posted Image

Calypo
    Calypo

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4043 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

View PostArkalius, on 18 April 2012 - 06:33 PM, said:

I'm not sure why people are insisting on arguing with this individual.

Sorry, who said these things?

View Postshadow2379, on 18 April 2012 - 06:28 PM, said:

Budge has made loads of great posts on this thread when he joined the thread at the end of last year.

Fine. As i said, i'm not preparedc to look, and i don't go on this thread often.

AramilTheElf
  • Minecraft: AramilTheElf

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

Most Christians are not as you say. Most of us know that. Some of us don't. Same with atheists.

Posted Image

fetusthebard

View Posttoast_burner, on 18 April 2012 - 06:38 PM, said:

/facepalm. NOOOO!!! I'm suggesting that for us, morality is set by our religion. And when people in my religion don't follow that morality I get pissed off. As I said in my post

View PostAramilTheElf, on 18 April 2012 - 06:42 PM, said:

Most Christians are not as you say.
Did you mean to add a comma? Because, if not then /facepalm.
Posted Image

Metadigital
  • Minecraft: Metadigital

Wy are we still arguing? And why do atheists believe that every Christian is a Bible humping, gay hating, rich and snooty person?

Some atheists think that being an atheist is evidence of their superior intellect and don't often enough examine their own biases, misconceptions, and delusions. Just like those they speak out against, these atheists will misrepresent their opponents when arguing against their position. This isn't all atheists by any means, but they certainly do exist (just as they exist within any ideology).

Also, where do they come up with these weird ideals about why people turn to religion? I can guarentee that I wasn't like "I don't know how the Earth was created. I'm going to go join a religion so they can tell me!" No. Religion in general is an emotional crutch. When your not strong enough to make it through the day, you look up in the sky and ask the invisible but always present consciousness to help you through the day. You then use his "rules" to follow in your everyday life so that you don't do evil (cheifly, love your neighbor/enemy as yourself). It's a good way to live. It prevents you from, say, killing a family because they looked at you wrong. When you try and demonize a beautiful thing, and when we try to demonize you (even though it is against our own beliefs) I get pissed off. So far, no one has argued with me on this point. Which either means I'm right, or I am too stupid to engage in a debate with. And I highly doubt the later, as I have seen a lot of troll feeding here.

People who make good posts in threads such as these tend to get ignored, especially when others come in and make themselves easy targets for small minded thinkers who feel the need to "win" debates.

toast_burner

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

View Postfetusthebard, on 18 April 2012 - 06:42 PM, said:

/facepalm. NOOOO!!! I'm suggesting that for us, morality is set by our religion. And when people in my religion don't follow that morality I get pissed off. As I said in my post
Sorry it was this line that threw me off "You then use his "rules" to follow in your everyday life so that you don't do evil (cheifly, love your neighbor/enemy as yourself). It's a good way to live. It prevents you from, say, killing a family because they looked at you wrong. "

If the main thing preventing you from killing people is a man in the sky, you might have some problems needing sorting out.

Arkalius
    Arkalius

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1093 posts
  • Minecraft: Arkalius80

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

Wy are we still arguing?
Because the issue is not yet resolved.

And why do atheists believe that every Christian is a Bible humping, gay hating, rich and snooty person?
Your question is based on a false premise. All atheists do not think this.

Also, where do they come up with these weird ideals about why people turn to religion?
So... you're going to admonish people for theorizing what causes people to turn to religion... and then immediately pontificate as to why people turn to religion? I love the irony here.

You then use his "rules" to follow in your everyday life so that you don't do evil (cheifly, love your neighbor/enemy as yourself). It's a good way to live. It prevents you from, say, killing a family because they looked at you wrong.
I don't need to look up into the sky at an invisible man to know not to do this. I prefer to base my morality on reliable things like reason and empathy, rather than something as fickle as faith in an invisible authority figure. It's rather a big insult to humankind to insist a person can't figure out that murdering an entire family for kicks is wrong without a mystical authority figure to tell us not to.

So far, no one has argued with me on this point. Which either means I'm right, or I am too stupid to engage in a debate with. And I highly doubt the later, as I have seen a lot of troll feeding here.
I'm sorry, I must have missed your point. Maybe you can reiterate it in more clear terms.

FireroseNekowolf
  • Minecraft: FireroseNekowolf

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

View PostBeyBlader3499, on 18 April 2012 - 05:00 PM, said:

-snip-
I can do it too! *ahem*

Raging howls from Garmr before Gnipahellir,
The fetters will burst, the beast will run:
Many charms I know, further in the future afar I behold
The judgement of the gods who give victory.

Brother shall strike brother and both fall,
Parents shall defile their kin;
Evil be on earth, an age of adultery,
Axe time, sword time,
Of split shields,
A wind-age, a wolf-age till the world caves in;
No man shall show mercy to another.

Mimir's kin might gambol,
destiny like a fire rages under the lights of Gjallarhorn;
Heimdal winds his horn aloft,
Óðinn discusses with Mimir's head.

Yggdrasil shakes, the erected ash, groans the old trunk;
the giant is loose; all shake on Hel's way,
Before he is swallowed by Surt's kin.

What of the Aesir? What of the elves?
Jötunheimr groans, the Aesir are in council
The dwarves grumble before their door of stone,
Masters of cliffs.
Well, would you know more?

From the East drives Hrym, lifts up his shield;
JÓrmungandr squirms with rage
Taken by the giants' frenzy.
The great worm whips the waves
The pale-beaked eagle Niðfölr pecks at the dead,
The ship Naglfari is free.

The ship sails out from the east, at its helm Loki
With the children of Muspell,
Offspring of monsters, allies of the wolf,
All who follow the brother of Býleistr.

Surtr comes from the South with the bane of branches
Hel's sword generates the sun,
Crags topple, monsters move,
Men walk on Hel's road, the Heavens split open.

A further woe falls upon Hlin
As Óðinn comes forth to fight the wolf;
The shining killer of Beli battles with Surt;
Now shall fall Frigg's beloved.

Now valiant comes Sigföd's son,
Vidarr, to kill the vulture,
Plunges his sword in the heart of Hvedrung 's son,
Avenging his father with a thrust.

High up in the air,
the belt of the earth,
his mouth wide open,
the frightening worm's jaw gapes.
Odin's son will meet the monster's poison at Vidar's sons death.

Now comes the son of HlÓdyn, comes Óðinn's son, fiercest of warriors
To fight the serpent; He mauls in his rage Midgard's "veor",
Men all flee their homesteads;
Fjörgyn's son steps back nine paces
Retreats from the worm with no fear of being shamed.

Earth sinks in the sea, the sun turns black,
The shining stars shake in the sky,
Fumes rage, flames grumble,
The sky is scorched with fire.

She sees Earth rising a second time
Out of the foam, fair and green;
Run cascades, over them, high in the mountains, flies the fish hunting eagle.

At Ídavöllr the Aesir meet:
They speak of the powerful worm of Midgard,
Remember ancient happenings,
And the ancient runes of Fimbultýr.

Wondeful boards of gold shall be found again in the green grass,
Boards once owned.

Unsown field will bear harvest,
Evil be repaired, Baldr will return; Baldr and Hödr will house in Hropt's victory hall,
Lord of the dead warriors' dwelling.

Hœnir knows how to choose the wand of fate,
And the sons of two brothers set up their dwelling in wide Wind-home.

She sees a hall, fairer than sunlight, thatched with gold in Gimlé:
Here in delight shall forever dwell the troup of the faithful.

Now rides down for the last settlement, the magnificent powerful, the All-Ruler

Comes flying a dark dragon, shining serpent, coming down from Nidafjöll;
He bears on his feathers - hovering over the plain - corpses, Nidhöggr.
Now she will make herself scarce.
What happens when the Universe divides by zero?
It gets a result.

fetusthebard

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

View Posttoast_burner, on 18 April 2012 - 06:46 PM, said:

If the main thing preventing you from killing people is a man in the sky, you might have some problems needing sorting out.
Well we already decided that I have poor morals in the abortion thread so that is, apparantly, possible. Although I still haven't been told exactly why I have poor morals.
Posted Image

fetusthebard

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

View PostArkalius, on 18 April 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

Because the issue is not yet resolved.

Your question is based on a false premise. All atheists do not think this.

So... you're going to admonish people for theorizing what causes people to turn to religion... and then immediately pontificate as to why people turn to religion? I love the irony here.

I don't need to look up into the sky at an invisible man to know not to do this. I prefer to base my morality on reliable things like reason and empathy, rather than something as fickle as faith in an invisible authority figure. It's rather a big insult to humankind to insist a person can't figure out that murdering an entire family for kicks is wrong without a mystical authority figure to tell us not to.

I'm sorry, I must have missed your point. Maybe you can reiterate it in more clear terms.
1. Your first point is not true. The issue has been resolved but idiots continue to post new things here causing more people to try to correct them on what has already been said.
2. Was the word All in that statement whatsoever?
3. I'm admonishing them for thinking that they understand everyones minds enough to make a generalized statement about all of us.
4. Perhaps you don't. Some do. Again, generalizing. Also, where do you think empathy evolved from? Society norms? That lead back to ancient times when we started working together to get food? Based on the belief that it is better to just leave the other person alone so that society can flourish? Which is what our religions teach us? Thought so.
5. If you are too lazy to find my other posts, then why should I help you?
Posted Image