• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Potions!

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: Potions! (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Implement?

1. Hell yeah! Get it in 1.8! (7 votes [43.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.75%

2. Save it for a later update or as a mod. (5 votes [31.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

3. Vanilla? No. Mod? Yes! (2 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Better as a mod, but I wouldn't get it. (1 votes [6.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

5. No. Just no. (1 votes [6.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

R3dSt0ne
  • Minecraft: tmewett5

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:23 PM

Potions!
A simple Alchemy system just for Minecraft

Alchemy has been a popular feature in many games, and I though it would be a great addition to Minecraft. I want to create a potion system that is simple and light, but can still affect a player greatly if they want to.

Posted Image Vials

Vials are the vital ingredient for all potions. You need them to contain the potion fluid! They are crafted from 3 glass, and each craft creates just 1 vial.

:: :: ::
:Glass: :: :Glass:
:: :Glass: ::
1 vial

When you drink a potion, you get the message: "As you drink the potion," then a custom message to do with the effect, such as: "you feel a burst of strength and want to start mining" or "you feel your presence shift, as if you are not really there."

:RFlower: Brewing

Putting your potions together requires certain ingredients that vary from ores to plants. You stack them above the vial anywhere in the crafting grid. All potions have a set duration, so brewing a few and taking them with you would be a good idea.

:: :Blue: :: - :Red: :Green: ::
:: :Red: :: - :: :Purple: :Blue:
:: Posted Image :: - :: Posted Image ::
Examples of brewing potions

When you drink a potion, there is a one in six chance that you drop the vial, breaking it. You still drink it, but the vial is lost. There will be a message, something like: "The potions taste shocks you and you drop the vial."

New Items

These are items that would be added to the game especially for potions. WORK IN PROGRESS, suggestions welcome

• Nightmare Shard - Found rarely from mining Netherrack
  • Dream Token - Mined from Blessed Stone (a strange ore)
  • Shadow Plant - Grows in dark places, usually with mushrooms.
  • Apple - Grows on trees

Posted Image Potions

Potion names, their ingredients, effect and duration. WORK IN PROGRESS, suggestions welcome.

• Careful - Feather + wool + string - Increases tool durability but slows down usage (3 mins)
  • Strength - Iron + cactus + smoothstone - Opposite of careful (3 mins)
  • Dream - Dream token + bone + torch - Decreases awareness of mobs (allows you to get closer) (2 mins)
  • Light - Coal + glowstone - Makes you emit light, but increases mob awareness (2 mins)
  • Absence - Glass + feather + nightmare shard - Gives the effect of absence to nearby mobs and players, however if you attack them they can see you. (1 min)
  • Sticky-fingers - Slimeball + iron - Allows you to climb wall as if they were ladders! (3 mins)
  • Water-breathing - Sugar cane + raw/cooked fish - Allows water breathing, increased swimming speed and stop you being pushed by moving water (3 mins)
  • Sun God - Flint and steel + netherrack + coal + obsidian - Engulf yourself and your enemies in flames with flame-resistant skin! (1 min)
  • Lightweight - Feather + dream token - Allows you to jump 3 blocks high (4 mins)

Thanks to jalokoh for the vial images!

If you like the idea, (or don't) please leave a comment with your feedback (anything will do! keep this thread ALIVE!) and any more suggestions, and if there any great modders out there then it would be great to see some of these ideas in action!

Sig Image below

Spoiler:

Register or log in to remove.

imweek6
    imweek6

Carpenter

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:28 PM

good ideas, but you need a little more detail, will you stack the potions, what oters types will there be, what are the crafting recipies i cant tell, and finnaly, the noobiest one, ho Wil Joo rmemner al dose recpies. that does raise a good point, will you be able to build a recipie book that keeps the recipies you figure out?

Posted Image

R3dSt0ne

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:34 PM

View Postimweek6, on 08 August 2011 - 05:28 PM, said:

good ideas, but you need a little more detail...

Thanks for the feedback! As for detail, I'm not done with the post yet, I'd just thought putting my thoughts down on paper (well, keyboard) would help me add more stuff and of course, the community could help too!

I like the idea of a recipe book, it could help with keeping track of all those potions! I will explore the idea a bit more, then maybe add it to the suggestion.

jalkan135
  • Minecraft: jalkan135

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:35 PM

minecraft must be original so i say no
Look Left--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->You failed

Posted Image

Pyrez
    Pyrez

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • Location: Does it matter? We're all on the internet anyways...
  • Minecraft: Pyranz

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:40 PM

View Postimweek6, on 08 August 2011 - 05:28 PM, said:

good ideas, but you need a little more detail, will you stack the potions, what oters types will there be, what are the crafting recipies i cant tell, and finnaly, the noobiest one, ho Wil Joo rmemner al dose recpies. that does raise a good point, will you be able to build a recipie book that keeps the recipies you figure out?
no. you'll look it up on the wiki like people do now

R3dSt0ne

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:42 PM

That was one of my opposing arguments to your suggestion. I don't aim for that many potions, and I'm designing the ingredients to reflect the potions effect.

jalokoh
    jalokoh

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • Minecraft: Jalokoh

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:46 PM

Why would you need vials if you craft potions like this?:

:Glass: :Blue: :Glass:
:Glass: :Red:  :Glass:
:Glass:   ::   :Glass:

Or did you mean like this?:

:feather:  = Vial

::  :Blue: ::
::  :Red: ::
::  :feather: ::

Anyways, great idea! Here's some of my suggestions for potions:

Ghost - Water & Diamond & Glowstone - Transforms the user into a ghost for x minutes.

Invicebility - Diamond & Glowstone - Makes the user invincible for x minutes.

Absense - Coal & Glass - The text "[User] left the game" appears in the text box. After x minutes the text "[User] joined the game" comes up again.

Climber - Gold & Iron/Slime - Makes the user able to climb vertical walls - Just like spiders.

Posted Image

R3dSt0ne

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:52 PM

Nice suggestions! I will add some of them to the post! Thanks for clearing up the issue with the crafting recipe, I will edit that now. Oh, and you have also solved my issues about balance, with more than 2 ingredients it will be a lot more rewarding! Editing the post now.

NeedsFoodBadly

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:53 PM

Before implementing this Mojang should probably clear it with Bethesda since they were so touchy about the word scrolls, this might set them off too.

jalokoh
    jalokoh

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:52 PM

Thanks, I made this little image of a vial you could use if you want:

Posted Image

Posted Image

assassin10

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:03 PM

Why would you use  :: for glass and  :Glass: for nil?
The Sun rises in the North!
Now these points of data make a beautiful line...

R3dSt0ne

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:43 PM

View Postassassin10, on 08 August 2011 - 07:03 PM, said:

Why would you use  :: for glass and  :Glass: for nil?
Well, I thought this would be easier to read, as glass is a lot less visible than the blank crafting square. But as this is causing confusion I will change them around now.

Thanks a lot for the vial icon, it's pretty neat, but needs to look a bit more minecraft-y. I'm not the artist myself, but I'll give it a try!!

[EDIT] I tried the vial image, and got this: Posted Image That's the kind of style I had in mind, although I'm not quite sure with the colour. Any artist out there, we need you!

P.S. bump ;)

jalokoh
    jalokoh

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:33 PM

Glad you kinda liked it, your vial is also awesome, I just thought I had to make it diagonaly.
Maybe I could get some credit for the potions I made/you tweaked and the vial image in the first post? :)

Posted Image

TEH_CATFACE
  • Minecraft: MCNerdism

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:38 PM

imweek6 has the best idealisten to it R3d!
Posted Image

jalokoh
    jalokoh

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:14 PM

R3dSt0ne said:

Any artist out there, we need you!

Well, I like to consider myself as some kind of artist :P. I made these for you, use them if you want :)

Posted Image - Vial
Posted Image - Round vial
Posted Image - Rectangular vial

Posted Image - Absence potion
Posted Image - Sticky Fingers potion
Posted Image - Careful potion

Posted Image

Eclipse11
    Eclipse11

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:00 PM

Good idea.
Just don't tell Bethesda

R3dSt0ne

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:30 AM

View Postjalokoh, on 08 August 2011 - 10:14 PM, said:

I made these for you, use them if you want :)
Thanks! I prefer the vertical style of vials, and I will add some credits to the end of the post. I also noticed you had slightly different shaped vials for the different potions, and although it's unrealistic I like that a lot.

BUMP, UPDATED

R3dSt0ne

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:15 PM

UPDATED

• Added New Items section
  • Changed the way vials work and their crafting amount
  • Added custom messages on drink
  • Any ideas for the items would be great!

a_ballistic_ninja

Posted 09 August 2011 - 03:34 PM

potion idea: over heal potion, heals all health, over heals 5 hearts for x minutes, and grants invincibility for 1/4 x minutes. crafted:
:-(o):  :feather:  :-(o):
  :Bacon: :Bacon: :Bacon:  
:feather:  :Soup:  :feather:

golden apples, because eventually we will be able to obtain them without invedit.

R3dSt0ne

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:18 PM

hey, thanks for your suggestion. if you look in the post, the crafting recipe must include 1 vial in the bottom-centre cell and can have a maximum of 6 ingredients in the upper 2 rows. But still I like the idea of a "super-health" potion that increases your max health! :-(o):

also guys, if you haven't noticed already, i have a sig image for this suggestion (with a link and everything) so feel free to use it if you truly support this idea. :iapprove: