A simple Alchemy system just for Minecraft
Alchemy has been a popular feature in many games, and I though it would be a great addition to Minecraft. I want to create a potion system that is simple and light, but can still affect a player greatly if they want to.
VialsVials are the vital ingredient for all potions. You need them to contain the potion fluid! They are crafted from 3 glass, and each craft creates just 1 vial.
When you drink a potion, you get the message: "As you drink the potion," then a custom message to do with the effect, such as: "you feel a burst of strength and want to start mining" or "you feel your presence shift, as if you are not really there."
BrewingPutting your potions together requires certain ingredients that vary from ores to plants. You stack them above the vial anywhere in the crafting grid. All potions have a set duration, so brewing a few and taking them with you would be a good idea.
Examples of brewing potions
When you drink a potion, there is a one in six chance that you drop the vial, breaking it. You still drink it, but the vial is lost. There will be a message, something like: "The potions taste shocks you and you drop the vial."
New ItemsThese are items that would be added to the game especially for potions. WORK IN PROGRESS, suggestions welcome
- Nightmare Shard - Found rarely from mining Netherrack
- Dream Token - Mined from Blessed Stone (a strange ore)
- Shadow Plant - Grows in dark places, usually with mushrooms.
- Apple - Grows on trees
PotionsPotion names, their ingredients, effect and duration. WORK IN PROGRESS, suggestions welcome.
- Careful - Feather + wool + string - Increases tool durability but slows down usage (3 mins)
- Strength - Iron + cactus + smoothstone - Opposite of careful (3 mins)
- Dream - Dream token + bone + torch - Decreases awareness of mobs (allows you to get closer) (2 mins)
- Light - Coal + glowstone - Makes you emit light, but increases mob awareness (2 mins)
- Absence - Glass + feather + nightmare shard - Gives the effect of absence to nearby mobs and players, however if you attack them they can see you. (1 min)
- Sticky-fingers - Slimeball + iron - Allows you to climb wall as if they were ladders! (3 mins)
- Water-breathing - Sugar cane + raw/cooked fish - Allows water breathing, increased swimming speed and stop you being pushed by moving water (3 mins)
- Sun God - Flint and steel + netherrack + coal + obsidian - Engulf yourself and your enemies in flames with flame-resistant skin! (1 min)
- Lightweight - Feather + dream token - Allows you to jump 3 blocks high (4 mins)
Thanks to jalokoh for the vial images!
If you like the idea, (or don't) please leave a comment with your feedback (anything will do! keep this thread ALIVE!) and any more suggestions, and if there any great modders out there then it would be great to see some of these ideas in action!
Sig Image below