Latest News Article

Divining Rod (Dowsing Rod)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

azwethinkweis

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:16 AM

For those of you that don't know what this is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowsing

Basically, i think there should be an object simmaler to this, displaying weather or not that theirs an ore below maby 10 block below the player, think of it as a metal detector that will point down the closer you get to an ore deposit...
it could be possibly made like this
[]  :)  []
[]  :D  []
:Water:  []  :Water:
Posted Image
Support Kimba in getting him back on air!
http://www.minerwars.com/?aid=938

Register or log in to remove.

MrTorus
    MrTorus

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1486 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:25 AM

Dowsing rods are just plain silly, and in fact are a harmful concept to use in the game, or anywhere else for that matter. I'm being totally serious.

They are completely and utterly worthless in the real world, and there's absolutely no scientific double-blind test showing that they work, AT ALL. Everything anyone says about their accuracy is completely wrong, beyond any reasonable doubt, and if you really want I can post hundreds of scientific papers on the subject.

Now, you could make a case for explicitly enchanted dowsing rods in the game. I could probably play along with that. But please, don't perpetuate the myth that they are useful. This myth has been damaging so many communities in desperate need for water (including several here in Brazil that got ripped off by the "high tech dowsing rods") that you're all doing mankind a big favor if you just started treating dowsing rods as anything but worthless.

So, in order to avoid this damaging concept entirely, I'd much rather an enchanted wand/staff or something, or some other form of magic. I'd totally go for that.

Just don't use the term "dowsing rod."
Please, read this thread:
MINECRAFT FACTS: BIG LIST OF WHAT NOTCH HAS ACTUALLY SAID ABOUT THE PLANNED FEATURES OF MINECRAFT

"If something ever doesn't feel fun, I'll remove it." - Notch

SnypeX24
    SnypeX24

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:56 PM

dude its a mod for a game it doesn't matter if it works or not in real life. Are you gonna  make a ring and call it swiftwolfs rending gale and complain that it doesn't make you fly. I mean quit being so serious minecrafts a game it doesn't need to be real.

awsumfire

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

View PostSnypeX24, on 16 June 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

dude its a mod for a game it doesn't matter if it works or not in real life. Are you gonna  make a ring and call it swiftwolfs rending gale and complain that it doesn't make you fly. I mean quit being so serious minecrafts a game it doesn't need to be real.
That's what I try to say to everybody! Does anybody listen? No!
Posted Image