Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

How much bandwidth does a 8 player server use a month


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1

xxpotandaxx

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:29 PM

My isp comcast only allows 250 gb's a month and im wondering how much bandwidth a 8 player miencraft server would use  in a month

Posted Image


Register or log in to remove.

#2

Edwardzc

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:25 PM

View Postxxpotandaxx, on 30 July 2011 - 02:29 PM, said:

My isp comcast only allows 250 gb's a month and im wondering how much bandwidth a 8 player miencraft server would use  in a month

You're fine. 8 players should not generate too much bandwidth total.

CloudBoxHosting | Premium Xen VPS Slices | Minecraft Hosting | Powerful Servers


Grand Opening Special - Cloud - €20 - 2 GB RAM - Dedicated IP Address


#3

MeteorVPS

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:53 PM

The issue being is that your ISP will not be able to provide as good of an upload speed which is vital for any minecraft server, without paying an extra fee. - You can run it fine, maybe through HAMA or PF but in either case, your users will experiance lag once more people connect or somebody uses your wireless.

Best bet is to for a cheap VPS / Minecraft plan.

MeteorVPS.com


Professional | Affordable | Minecraft Hosting | OpenVZ Hosting | Web Hosting


#4

xxpotandaxx

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:00 AM

View PostMeteorVPS, on 30 July 2011 - 03:53 PM, said:

The issue being is that your ISP will not be able to provide as good of an upload speed which is vital for any minecraft server, without paying an extra fee. - You can run it fine, maybe through HAMA or PF but in either case, your users will experiance lag once more people connect or somebody uses your wireless.

Best bet is to for a cheap VPS / Minecraft plan.
the thing i dont like about vps's and stuff is i love running servers xD and having them here at my hosue to play with and stuff

Posted Image


#5

Scott
    Scott

    Gold Miner

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 355 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:52 AM

250GB will be fine for 8 players. I can't imagine it will utilized 24/7 anyways.

If you're really concerned, find software that will record bandwidth usage. Your router might have a feature that does this too.
https://allgamer.net/ - Minecraft, Xen VPS, and Dedicated Server Hosting
Email/AIM/MSN: scott -at- allgamer -dot- net
Toll-free United States: 1.888.215.0640
iNUM: +883 510008273659
Extension: 902

#6

TorinP
    TorinP

    Carpenter

  • Members
  • 63 posts
  • Location: Australia
  • Minecraft: Server Hosting

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:55 AM

Instead of hosting it yourself, why not try a Minecraft server host like DaddyCheese to take care of it all for you. We have unlimited bandwidth on all our plans and they start at $5 per month :)
Posted Image

#7

xxpotandaxx

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:19 PM

View PostTorinP, on 31 July 2011 - 02:55 AM, said:

Instead of hosting it yourself, why not try a Minecraft server host like DaddyCheese to take care of it all for you. We have unlimited bandwidth on all our plans and they start at $5 per month :)


People like you who go around spamming the server/tech fourms should be banned

Posted Image


#8

MrNewGuy
    MrNewGuy

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:19 AM

View Postxxpotandaxx, on 02 August 2011 - 11:19 PM, said:

People like you who go around spamming the server/tech fourms should be banned
I ran a test on this actually.
While running a minecraft server with 4 players on it
My minecraft client, playing on the server
and Skype, talking with all the players
I used up 858Kb per minute

Assuming you ran your server all month, and always had 4 people on it, and were always on it yourself, and were always using skype. You would use up Just below 39GB per month of bandwith. You should be fine with 8 people.

#9

nikothebird
  • Location: MinecraftForum.net
  • Minecraft: nikothebird

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:33 AM

View Postxxpotandaxx, on 02 August 2011 - 11:19 PM, said:

People like you who go around spamming the server/tech fourms should be banned

i have the same question but he actually has a VERY good idea.  hosted servers have much less lag and unlimited bandwidth better uptime. all u need is a little cash

#10

cheese5100
  • Minecraft: cheese510

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:55 AM

View Postxxpotandaxx, on 02 August 2011 - 11:19 PM, said:

People like you who go around spamming the server/tech fourms should be banned
I second this motion.
Posted Image

#11

pcman2000
  • Minecraft: pcman2000

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:05 AM

View Postcheese5100, on 16 August 2012 - 04:55 AM, said:


I second this motion.
However, OP did post in the wrong forum (Other Hosts) :)